Start by marking “E (E, #1)” as Want to Read:
E (E, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

E

(E #1)

Life is harsh. It makes no exceptions. Not even for the innocent.

Outpost Three: a huddle of crumbling buildings choked by a concrete wall. Cracked pavement, rusted metal, splintering boards. Huge robotic Sentries police the streets, but the Ten Laws are broken every time one turns its back.

Eden is determined, smart, and a born survivor. Stripped of her memories and dumped
ebook
Published May 4th 2014 (first published May 3rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about E, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E

Tamara
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received a free copy from the author for an honest review (R&R).

I am in complete love with this book! Eden, our main character, who is not that typical girl that is just stupid, ignorant, obnoxious, selfish or self-centered. Eden is beyond better. She is strong, brave, loving, understanding, and NOT STUCK UP! She understands what it means to be put in a certain position, no whining, no complaining, no crying over stupid things; no, Eden knows when to shut up, knows what is expected. Like t
Michelle Bryan
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! Kate Wrath has created a unique dystopian world in which any law breaker is 'erased', the memory of who they once were gone and they awake a blank slate. This is what happens to Eden.
She wakes up in an alleyway in the Outpost instinctively knowing she must hide from the slavers and the robot sentries if she is to survive. Starving, desperate and wounded, her struggle to stay sane and alive over the next little while is beautifully written and you cannot help but feel her fear
Elizabeth Davies
I have read my fair share of sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian novels, and as a whole they are not my favourite genres. I find many of them overly complex, character's names convoluted and the whole thing too much effort. This is certainly not the case with this novel.
It captured my imagination from the very first sentence and held it until the very last.
Eden, as the main character, is complex and well-rounded, and eminently believable, an the other characters are equally well-drawn.In the protagoni
Valerie (Howler_Puff)
MEH.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this one, which was pretty disappointing. The reviews have all been 4-5 stars and people were raving how good this was. I don't think I read the same book as them. There was nothing in this book that grabbed me and sucked me in. I was hoping for a mind blowing read and I didn't get that. I enjoyed the last chapter the best and that is the one and only chapter that makes me kind of want to figure out what happens next. I might continue with the series, I'm not s
Sara
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy for an honest review.
wow oh wow. this book is amazing! this is a must read! eden isn't your typical main character in this dark dystopian world. nor are her friends. this is a world I just can not get enough of.
Anka
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read sci-fi. Or dystopian. I'm more of a happy reader, looking for rainbows and unicorns. What made me read (and love, and put the author on my top favorite authors list) "E" were the first paragraphs that the author, Kate Wrath, posted on her website. The power and the beauty of the dark, poetic language won me over, reminding me of some of my favorite poets. And once you start reading this book, trust me, you cannot stop.

The storyline is constructed around three main themes: ho
Laquesha
I was sent an e-galley of this book by the author and to be honest, the book really didn't sound like something I normally would read but I was like "Hey, why not?". Long story short, I read the book and I loved the book. The writing style in this novel was really nice, it was beautifully descriptive and kind of poetic, actually. The world and the premise of this novel were...interesting, really grungy and scary, I would die if I lived in this world but it was intriguing to read about. The main ...more
Katherine Paschal
In a futuristic society, people guilty of crimes are captured by the robotic police and erased. All that is left in their heads are the laws of the world and a mark on their forehead before they are dumped into one of the outposts to fend for themselves. Eden finds herself dumped in outpost three, where she knows almost nothing, except her will to survive and the feeling that she is looking for something.
I really enjoyed this book. In a world full of dystopians, this was so incredibly original.
Tony Parsons
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The robotic Sentries are our government. They are here to protect us; to enforce justice that the humans can’t. Last but not least they uphold the 10 Laws of the New World Covenant.

The 2nd law was designed for those who don’t share in the same political beliefs as the government.
The cities are in shambles. There is filth, trash, vermin & rot everywhere. PPL wander from outpost/outpost (1-4) & suffer from poverty & lack of basic needs. It is also the survival of the fittest 24/7.

Th
Echo Smalley
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Z
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I received a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

E was good.

I think the most refreshing thing about it was that I actually liked the main character (shocking I know), especially considering the YA characters I've dealt with in previous books. But Eden was smart and courageous and caring, she didn't just blindly follow others she thought things through and decided what to do on her own. She understood what it took to survive and even though it could get a little gruesome a
Nicola Dorrington
So, where can I start on this book?

Firstly, I couldn't put it down. I had so much work to do the day I was reading this, but I honestly ended up getting nothing done, because I got completely sucked into the world Wrath has created in this book.

Right from the first page we find ourselves in this dark, dreary, and rather horrible version of the future. Without giving too much away in this version of the future all law is enforced by a kind of A.I robot called Sentries who bring down swift justice
Levian
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eden woke up in a metal box, with no memories. she pushed herself forward, scavenging for food and collecting coins with the hope of changing her current situation. starved and threatened, she did all she could just to survive. one thing led to another, she ended up at a card game, fighting against the dangerous people. Apollon was there, a guy who secretly understood what she was going through. upon winning the game, he brought Eden back to their shelter, shared among a handful of people. toget ...more
These Violent Delights (Robin)
*Note: I recieved a copy of this book from the author on a R2R basis*

Let's just take a minute to stare at this gorgeous cover! I just adore this cover.

Okay, now onto my review of this gorgeous book.

I loved this whole book! It was just fantastic in every way. The characters were well developed ane understandable. I loved Eden, she was everything I like in a main character. I love the genre dystopia, so this book was right up my alley. The world that Kate Wrath created in this book is a world tha
Pol Doherty
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E is moving, exciting, surprising and engaging. The characters journey through a physical world that is harsh and an emotional world that is always changing, sometimes frightening and bleak, sometimes funny and warm. They react realistically, humanly, to a beautifully rendered host of experiences as they ride the roller coaster of life in outpost 3.

I loved this book. I read it twice, even better the second time around. It is clever, well written and well paced.

If there were more stars than five,
Rae
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared on my blog: What Happened to the Wallflower?

Cover-I adore the use of the robot hand that's holding the lily. It's the kind of concept that I wouldn't ever expect to see, but I think the effect of that part of the image is absolutely breathtaking.

The image behind it, though, of the alley blends with the hand a bit, so I have to question the placement of it. I also wish that the title was a little more visible, and the author name a little less. This would have made the
Katherine
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
E (E #1) BY KATE WRATH

DISCLAIMER: I was given a copy of this book by the author (via Goodreads/Shut Up and Read/Read It and Reap) in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

ADVISORY: This book contains violent situations and occasional language

SYNOPSIS / SPOILER ALERT:

Our heroine finds herself dumped at Outpost Three, with no knowledge of where she came from or who she was before. (She doesn’t even know her name, but over time she comes to call herself “Eden”.) All she knows is that the brand on
Justine Winans
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E will grasp onto readers from the very beginning and hold onto them throughout the entire ride. It was hard to stop reading at all, with the fast pacing and engaging plot. A must-read YA, E is dark, exciting, heart breaking, and thoroughly enjoyable.

There is a lot more than meets the eye with this novel. When Eden first awakes, remembering absolutely nothing of her past, readers are thrown right alongside her into this new world, with Wrath crafted and developed gorgeously. It is a dark kind of
Tricia Drammeh
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a bleak, harsh, dystopian world where starvation is the norm and people will do anything for survival. Where giant, metal Sentries wield swift, brutal justice, and citizens are ruled by fear. This is the world Kate Wrath has created, a world in which Eden must learn to survive. Cold, alone, her mind wiped clean of all memory, Eden has been erased. She must either run or face slavery—or worse. Injured, starving, and betrayed by the person she thought she could trust, Eden finally forges a ...more
Donna
This is a unique story, taking place in dystopian world. A young woman is thrown into the Outpost after having her memories erased, with no clothes, no food, knowing no one. She has to survive on her own. Everyone in the Outpost is also struggling to survive and will take advantage of anyone else if they can. Then there are the large robot Sentries who keep order and if you are caught by them you are over. She does not even know her name, so she chooses one, Eden.

First, this is a very well writ
Kim Dyer
I found E to be a thoroughly engrossing novel and a very strong debut for the author. The story was dark and intelligently written, growing increasingly bleak as it progressed. The political and ethical themes were highly interesting and raised in a way that offered no solutions to the issues raised, leaving it open to the reader to interpret whether Eden's eventual choices were correct.

My biggest issue with the story was that it raised many questions - Eden's nightmares, her history with Jonas,
H.L. Burke
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is an atypical book for me, so if you follow my reviews and expect a certain sort of read, be warned. However, I'm judging this book as what it is, not holding it up to my "normal reads." What it is is a harsh, realistic dystopian with a gritty feel and visceral emotions. A lot of it, especially the last quarter or so, is downright disturbing by my (admittedly lightweight) standards.
However, the writing is clean, the characters are believable, and overall, this is a good book.
My only minor
Emily Fritz
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** I received this book as a part of the R2R program on Goodreads **

In the world of dystopian sci/fi novels, E stands out as a wonderful literary piece. This book focuses on Eden, a smart and determined girl who is stripped of her memory and thrown into this dystopian world. Forced to survive she does what she must to make a life for herself.

I feel in love with the main character Eden. She’s strong and badass and does what she must to make sure she doesn’t fall victim to a world where every move
Dale Ibitz
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gritty look at a dystopian future. A story full of strife, grief, poverty, politics, and a glimmer of underlying hope. I guess the message here is no matter what happens to you, true love can't be erased.

The author portrays a world that is specific and detailed. She writes with a flair that has you believing the story and rooting/caring for the characters.

I loved every character in this book. From Kate to her newfound family, the bad guys, the good guys, the innocents...it's a page-tur
Rose E.E.
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**Received this book in exchange for an honest review as part of Shut Up & Read's R&R program**

First things first! I need to read the next book nooooow! Haha, seriously though, what a fantastic story! Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely love dystopian stories, like forever kind of love. This book is no exception to that! There were some heart wrenching moments in this book that brought me to tears and really feel for Eden and the situations in which she finds herself in. I love the cl
Michelle Mogil
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book for an honest and fair review.

Let me begin by saying I am not a huge fan of the present tense form of writing. It is almost always badly done and leaves me feeling that the author thinks I'm an idiot and can't think beyond the immediate moment. That said, I discovered that, when the method is done well, and the story is compelling, it doesn't matter as much.

The main character is dropped into an outpost with no memory of who she is or where she came from. All s
Tess
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopic
Not since I read Cassandra Clare have I felt so much in the minority of reviewers. I wanted to read the 4+ star book that everyone else read, but this one just didn't gel for me.

There was waaaay too much tease here and not enough reveal. Yes, I realize this is the first in a series. But by the end of the book we have learned that Eden has some mad skills, and we've gotten a really good feel for the local power struggle. That's about it. Everything else is a piece of a mystery.

I think this would
Claire
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eden wakes up in an alleyway unsure of who she is or how she got there, but her first instinct is to hide.

In a world where metal sentries rule and if there is any rule breaking, you answer to them. There is no judge, no jury, you are taken to the box and erased.

Starving, alone, desperate she meets Jonas and Apollon who take her under their wing, including a young boy Oscar who she finally feels she has to survive for, to protect.

In a struggle to survive, with her new family, war is coming, who
Sharon
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an electronic copy of this book for an honest review. I am a big fan of dystopian novels and this one did not disappoint. Eden is a strong, female character that just grips you from the beginning. I found myself rooting for her to survive and really feel like the author took me along on Eden's journey. This book was well paced and had great characterization, as well as setting. My only complaint is that I finished it too quickly and wanted to read more! I am looking forward to reading ...more
Dabber
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has an intriguing story, but what I loved the most was the poetic beauty in the language. I can't resist sharing some of my favorite passages:
"lumpy fingers that twist like tree roots"
"As night pulls its dark hood over my eyes."
"gun rumbles like the purr of a gargantuan tiger"
"Hope is a drug that is hard to get off."
I hope you don't mind me quoting these, Ms Wrath, but simply saying that the writing is superb, isn't enough. Beautiful writing. Well done.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The YA Dystopian ...: E 4 44 Jul 05, 2015 12:50PM
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 420} E (E, #1) by Kate Wrath 35 46 Jun 02, 2015 08:50AM
Matt 6 14 May 09, 2015 06:10AM
David Estes Fans ...: R&R # 87. - E (E, #1) by Kate Wrath 64 97 Apr 09, 2015 05:38PM
Making Connections: 3520. E (E #1) by Kate Wrath 13 33 Jan 11, 2015 06:21AM
All About YA : R2R: E (CLOSED) 12 52 Nov 29, 2014 11:21AM
Oscar 5 9 Jul 23, 2014 01:45AM

• The Cure
  • Snow & Ash (Endless Winter #1)
  • Code Breakers: Alpha (Code Breakers, #1)
  • The Lead Cloak (The Lattice Trilogy, #1)
  • Knowing (Return of the Nine, #1)
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • Pawn (Warchild, #1)
  • The Breaking of Northwall (The Pelbar Cycle, #1)
  • The Woodlands (The Woodlands, #1)
  • Critical Dawn (Critical, #1)
  • After The Fires Went Out: Coyote (After The Fires Went Out, #1)
  • Emerge (Emerge Series, #1)
  • The Girl Who Punched Back (Death Fields, #2)
  • The Wasteland Chronicles: Omnibus Edition (The Wasteland Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Fugitives from Northwoods (The Northwoods Trilogy #1)
  • Ping: From the Apocalypse (Ping #1)
  • Breakers (Breakers, #1)
  • John Gone (The Diaspora Trilogy, #1)
Kate Wrath is a sci-fi/fantasy author from southwestern New Mexico. She has written two series: The E Series, and Fairytale Evolution.

Kate believes in literature as an art form, world peace, and animal rights, but aspires to write total trash that is full of senseless violence, with characters who eat house pets.

E (5 books)
  • Evolution (E, #2)
  • Eden (E, #3)
  • Elegy (E, #4)
  • Endgame (E, #5)
“Tastes like something that rhymes with cat." -Apollon” 2 likes
“How easily we all vanish from the face of the earth.  One moment, we live.  The next, we are erased.” 1 likes