Start by marking “Free” as Want to Read:
Free

Free

"My name is Free. Usually when I tell people that they laugh and ask me what my real name is. I just look them dead on and repeat, 'Free.' I left my old name behind with my old life; shed both of them like a useless layer of skin. When I stepped free of that world, I took the name Free. It is my real name. I picked it myself. What could be more real than that?"

Since leavin
Published February 27th 2015 by Scribomusings Press (first published June 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free

Chris Ziesler
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is a nicely paced and well executed narrative about a young woman called Free. Free is on the cusp of adulthood and is traveling across the country with no real plan other than to see as many Grateful Dead concerts as she can talk her way into.

From the first page it is obvious that Free is more actively running away than she is running towards, although Litberg deftly conceals the true source of Free's angst until the plot is better developed.

The book consists of a series of unfortunat
Mars Girl
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The narrative is present tense, which makes you feel as though you are part of the action and inside of Free's head. I kept wanting to read more because I felt like I was on this journey with the character and I thought often about what was going on when I was away from the book, so I kept coming back.

I felt like Free was this innocent girl drifting between all the dangerous characters of the world. She is quick to trust people, even though she claims she isn't, and i
Letitia
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading for the second time, I love this book.
Such a great story!
I love the characters and the bare bones format of writing, allowing me to use my imagination to fill in the blanks.
My only complaint, it ended! I was sad to finish this book.
So I was heartened to find that the author is planning a follow-up book.
I will be eagerly awaiting it.
philip mcknight
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this adventure in a young women's life. It took me back to the 1960's area. I recommend this book as an enjoyable escape from everyday living.

I definitely recommend this as a fun escape from everyday living. Reading this adventure in a young girls life took me back to the 60's time in my life.
Jacquie South
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure about this book. At first I thought it was going to be terrible. The writing seemed stilted and simplistic, but as it went on I found that bothered me less as it seemed to fit with a straightforward telling of the story by the narrator. In other words, the narrative style suited the narrator. I ended up thinking it was ok ... though certainly not great! And the editing was appalling!
Christina Hamlett
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“The space where the sky meets the sea appears endless, an infinite horizon stretching out into eternity. I am staring right into it. Right into the unknown. Right into all that could be.”
(Excerpted from “Free”)

There are a lot of compelling visuals in Lisa Litberg’s new novel that resonate with me but this one in particular reminds me of all the times throughout my life that I’ve believed I could do anything…if I just knew where, exactly, to start.

Rebellion against authority (and tradition) was
Susan Barton
Free is a Deadhead who follows the band on tour after she leaves home at the age of eighteen. Free isn't her real name, but a name she chose for herself when she decided to change her life. Unfortunately, Free isn't nearly as free as she'd like to be, since she makes several bad choices while living her nomadic life.

Once I got past the fact that it was written in my least favorite tense - present - I was strangely drawn to this book. While I'd classify it as a coming of age, New Adult book, it c
Dan Duffy
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Journey in Search of Oneself...

I am intrigued with Lisa Litberg's story about "Free," wondering how much of it is fiction and how much might be true. Her characters came to life as I read about her vagabond lifestyle, traveling around the country to experience Grateful Dead concerts. Her story was set in the 1990's but her adventure seemed right out of the Hippie era 1960's. One theme of her story is about forgiveness and redemption. A quote that struck a responsive chord with me is: "All I ha
Jessica Henson
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a very strange book. Nothing particularly climatic or unexpected happened in the entire book, yet I continued reading it. Maybe because I was waiting for something to happen or maybe I was genuinely entertained, it's hard to say. There was a lot of drug use, but hey it was the 90s! Lol I found the characters real and like able. However I was very disappointed with the abrupt ending. It felt like a huge let down after reading the whole book hoping for a happy ending to Free's patheticall ...more
Cylee Bevers
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. Why did this book have to end?

I don't write reviews very often. I think I'm a picky reader. I start a book and give it at least 10%. If it doesn't strike my interest, I put it down. I started this book and was drawn in from the beginning. I clicked with the characters immediately. I personally love to travel. I enjoyed reading this book. I hope there is a sequel. The only negative I could say about this book is that it caused me to stay up late because I couldn't put it down. Ver
kailee bullard
It's all about execution

A very good book, yet somewhat poorly written. I respect the author for this Dead-loving story, but a story line didn't arise until about halfway through. The characters all had a story, which was nice. I do wish I had learned more about "Free" in the beginning, but it fits her well to not know much until the end. I would most likely read a sequel, mostly because I'd like to known what becomes of her.
Dana C
May 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway. I thought this book was simply okay. I liked the idea of Free following the Grateful Dead's tour, as that concept and theme is rare to find in books. The language seemed sharp and a little too harsh in places. The subject of drugs, homelessness, and depravity are not places that I necessarily want to escape to in a book. However, I'm sure this book is someone's cup of tea. It just wasn't mine.
Sirisha
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Free was not free in her mind

Author put herself in the character's position and wrote the story in simple English as the character is not educated and a runaway kid at the age of 12. It describes the self determination of a young girl to achieve her will and how she continued her journey until she finally met her goal. Author ended the novel only mentioning the girls intent. Would certainly like to read the continuity of this book to know more.
Adrienne
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Still unsure what I thought of this one. The book follows a young woman, self-named Free, who is wandering the country in search of... home, family, somewhere safe. At times difficult to read because of the many bad decisions she makes, I just wanted to shake her and say "stop doing this to yourself!" She does grow up some along the way, but the ending felt like it was still a loose end.
Suzanne
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
What can I say I like a gypsy story~
Morgen Salas
Bleak

Interesting moments but a little rambling and a rushed ending - the beginning was very promising but it felt like she got tired and just wanted to get I over
Laurie
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two stars. It really never grabbed me, and two days later I can't even remember all but the vague details.
Glenda O Thompson
Nov 05, 2015
Heather Dennis
Nov 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Doctor's Unexpected Family (Port Provident: Hurricane Hope #2)
  • Seek 'N Find
  • Goodbye Emily
  • The Vagabond Vicar
  • Lila's Choice
  • Chaperones
  • Workman’s Complication (McCall & Company, #1)
  • Chet: Whispers From the Past (Book 1)
  • The Price of Fame (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #14)
  • This Side of Providence
  • Something Good
  • A Deconstructed Heart
  • Butterfly Season
For as long as she can remember, Lisa Litberg has loved to write. Over the years she has amassed quite a collection of short stories and poetry. Free is her first novel. Ms. Litberg has been a high school teacher for nearly twenty years and helps empower her urban students with the power of the written word. Currently she is working on a short story compilation geared toward urban youth, as well a ...more