Start by marking “Vorübergehend tot (Sookie Stackhouse #1)” as Want to Read:
Vorübergehend tot (Sookie Stackhouse #1)

Vorübergehend tot (Sookie Stackhouse #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  460,842 Ratings  ·  17,319 Reviews
Sookie Stackhouse jobbt in einer Kleinstadt in Louisiana als Kellnerin. Sie ist still, introvertiert und geht selten aus. Nicht, daß sie nicht hübsch wäre. Im Gegenteil. Sookie hat nur, na ja, eben diese Behinderung. Sie kann Gedanken lesen. Das macht sie nicht gerade begehrenswert. Doch dann taucht Bill auf. Er ist groß, düster, gutaussehend - und Sookie hört kein Wort vo ...more
Published 2008 by Feder & Schwert (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Vorübergehend tot, please sign up.
Elizabeth Rogers The books are wayyy better than the TV show. I fell in love with the books first and then started watching the show. They get so far off track after…moreThe books are wayyy better than the TV show. I fell in love with the books first and then started watching the show. They get so far off track after the first season that after book one you're pretty much reading a completely different story line just with the same characters.(less)
Matthew Lee Considering that this book was written five years before Twilight, it might be better to ask if Twilight is like the Sookie novels. Sookie is not an…moreConsidering that this book was written five years before Twilight, it might be better to ask if Twilight is like the Sookie novels. Sookie is not an empty shell of a character like Bella, and though naive, she actually has a voice, a job, and a life before and during her Vampire liaison.
As Chelsea said, this is more adult and less YA. (less)

Vanessa
Dec 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading a succession of more serious books, I felt the need to read something light and trashy. As I discovered from reading this book, you should be careful what you wish for. Light? Yes. Trashy? Oh yes. Oh yes, yes, yes. But not in a good way - just trash, trash, trash.

It is hard to say what I disliked more about this book - the sophomoric writing, or the annoying, vapid, 2-d, Harlequin-romance-heroine-helpless-twit persona of Sookie Stackhouse. Sookie is a psychic, and this fact is used
Jayson
(C+) 67% | Almost Satisfactory
Notes: Its supporting characters are flat and uninteresting, the plot’s banal, and the mythology isn’t explored to its potential.
The first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series.

I confess - I picked this up at the bookstore for a few reasons:
1. The cover was sparkly and I liked the art.
2. Vampires! Having spent a huge chunk of my youth hoping the vampires in Anne Rice's novels would knock on my window late at night (shut-up, like you didn't???) I have been looking for the next Brad Pitt with fangs. (shut-up, like you aren't???)

And yeah. That was all it took. Sparkles and vampires - SOLD.

I opened up the book and kinda reg
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal-uf

I started reading this series because I was currently watching True Blood and had developed a slight obsession with Eric. Since then, the books have become an absolute guilty pleasure of mine. They are not the best written and occasionally we get a little too much of what we don't care for (i.e. fairies and shifters) but amid the hot vamp sex and murder mysteries... who really notices those anyway??

Most characters have both annoying and redeeming qualities, but this is good - I never did like th
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I can't remember if I started the books before the show or started the books after becoming obsessed with the show. But who really cares! I loved this world and still do!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Fabian
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephenie Meyer has nuthin' on this woman (...understatement!). Harris has in one pinky all the talent of the aforementioned hack, and her huge fan base must take note. "Dead Until Dark" is a loud middle finger to all those in deep love (& therefore those with questionable tastes) with the "Twilight" series.

This book reminds me that not all fiction has to be poetry. This one has a clear plot, it ties together all loose ends. It is enthralling, addictive, everything one wants in the PERFECT p
Trin
Sep 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
December 2014 buddy read with Shelly, Carole, Evgeny, Karly, Jess, Allison, Catherine & Monty Cupcake.

DNF at 50%

Sookie, Sookie, Sookie. Because of you most of my friends either hate me or think I'm a total freak. They think you're quirky, I think you're silly. They think your story is better than candy, I think your story is the most uninteresting ever.

Sorry guys, I don't think this review is going to go well.

I was recently told I was snarky and a cold-hearted, impatient cynic (you know wh
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I'd never heard of these books until a few months ago, and as usual, once one person recommends them, everyone seems to be talking about them, you see them everywhere, and you get curious. They're in the fantasy section, though for some bizarre reason I was under the impression, at first, that they were YA and silly. They are fun, but they are definitely for adults. The vampire/mystery style reminds me of the one Anita Blake book I read, the first one, which was horrible (can't say that enough t ...more
Bookdragon Sean
The television show True Blood was better than this in every sense; it completely transcended it. Well, at least, before the fourth season hit and the writing went down the toilet. But that’s a separate issue altogether. The show took Charlaine Harris’s book and made the story better; it made it sexy and scary. But, let’s not forget that without this there would have been no show whatsoever.

So fans of the television show do owe a lot to Charlaine Harris. Her writing for me though can be summed
Helen 2.0
I might have enjoyed this one more if Sookie was a bit more relatable. In a paranormal romance, the reader is supposed to be able to project themselves into the main character, right? I mean, we pretend like that's not the point but that's kinda sorta really the point.
But Sookie is so emotionally distant and half the time I can't even tell if she's happy or sad or angry or what. Her motivations are hard to decipher from the text.

Perhaps I misjudged the intent of the book; maybe it was written
Choko
*** 3.44 ***

A buddy read with the folks @ FBR...

I finally got to read a book that has been on my TBR for many, many years. I own the complete series and have been thinking about starting, only every time I get distracted by something newer and shinier, thus I have to thank FBR for having a buddy read scheduled, because I have a feeling if I didn't get to it now, I never would have...

"...“This was pretty exotic stuff for a telepathic barmaid from northern Louisiana.” ..."

This was a short and
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I basically had two separate lives growing up. My main life involved my nurse mother, my pharmacist (legal) father, and two of my three sisters, all living a suburban life just outside of Charlotte, NC. My secondary life involved my biological father and his entire family which was (they’ve since departed) headquartered in Bon Aqua (pronounced “ACK-qua”), TN. Bon Aqua, thusly named for the water that locals lineu
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*

This is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse Series and I did enjoy it but I don't think I will be continuing with this series. It just did not
really excite me so much. I guess the main reason why is because I really do not care for vampire stories too much. I thought this would be an exception since there was a mystery in the book, and that was the part that I enjoyed.

Welcome to the small town of Bon Temps in Louisiana, where a mid twenty, blonde, blue-eyed waitress named Sookie
Erin
I enjoyed Dead Until Dark more than I thought, I had only watched the first season of True Blood and I liked it alright but I never felt any desire to watch any other seasons. Season one stays very loyal to the book. I did miss Tara, she was my favorite character from season one. Since I remembered the first season I knew who the killer was but that didn't bother me because this book was just so much fun to read.

As with the show I found Sookie to be annoying but not enough to dampen my enjoymen
Scott Sigler
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off, paranormal fiction of any stripe really isn't my bag. I'm more of a hard-science/horror, horror/thriller kind of a guy.

I'm a big fan of the TRUE BLOOD television series. My wife tricked me into watching it, because I was convinced I "couldn't possibly like yet another kissy-vampire show." Well, I was wrong; I got hooked on the campy fun of TRUE BLOOD right off the bat.

Since I'm an author and have high hopes of seeing one of my own books turned into a series someday, I picked up the
Vampire Lady
Nov 18, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: naive twenty-somethings who don't know good writing if it hit them upside the head
When I first read the premise for the book, I thought it was slightly intriguing. Nothing I would rush out to get and read right away, but still enough for me to put on my list of to-read. Now that I've read it, I want my brain back. I like the idea that vampires are a known part of the human world. I really do. I liked Sam, about the only character in the entire book I did like, and how Harris explained him. I just think it took to long for her to reveal it all and to get her point across.

I lov
Evgeny
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Evgeny by: Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Shelves: fantasy
A group read with my GR buddies.

Sookie Stackhouse has a disability - at least she thinks she has one. She can read minds and she always has to block this ability of hers to keep herself from going crazy from constant buzz of thoughts from everywhere. She also wants to meet a vampire, so when one finally walks into the bar she works as a waitress in, she literally jumps at him the way poor creature does not stand a chance.

For people who read Twilight I do not need to tell anything more as this
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
Original Rating: 5 stars
New Rating: 2 Stars

This was a Buddy read (re-read for me) with Sarah, Karly, Carole, Kristin (when we get to book 3), Kelly (when we get to book 4), Jess, and Catherine.

Ok, I don't know what I was thinking when I gave this book 5 stars. This is not a 5 star book. This was my 4th time reading this and I think my last. The main reason is: it's BORING. There was WAY too much Bill. I didn't realize how boring Bill was. I mean, he was always super boring compared to Eric, but
Buggy
Opening Line:"I'd been waiting for the Vampire for years when he walked into the bar."

I must be one of the last people on the planet to read Dead After Dark. I also haven’t had a chance (yet) to watch True Blood, although because it’s been all over the media I had a pretty good visual reference for the characters here without actually having to compare the two. I was able to just go along for the ride. And what a ride, I can definitely see now what all the fuss has been about.

Honestly I had a h
Annie
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Let's get one thing straight...Sookie Stackhouse is no Bella Swan. You may have read the myriad reviews that list the similarities between Charlaine Harris's novels and the Twilight Saga and I can assure you that most of them are true. Harris refers to her vampires 'glowing', Bill drinks synthetic blood, Sookie can read minds...the list goes on and on.

But after finishing this book, what I can assure you is that in so many ways these books are so completely different that they bear no comparison.
Kezzy Sparks
Very good. Sookie is lovable
Jonetta
I'm in that small minority of readers of urban fantasy who hasn't read this series or watched True Blood, the television show based on these books. After reading this story, I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about but I'm intrigued enough to continue on.

Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress at Merlotte's in the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps. She has what she refers to as a "disability," simply a telepathic "ability." Yes, she can hear people's thoughts (with a few exceptions). When Bill Com
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
So, what can I say? I enjoyed the book, but in a guilty pleasures, sort of embarrassed to admit kind of way. Let's admit it - this is hardly well written, but it's quick and light and fun, and there's something to be said for that.

That said, I didn't really like Sookie's voice. I found it rather irritating right from the start. And the dialogue - ugh, who talks like that? And if people really do talk like that, then I'm glad I don't know them.

And there's not much character development to speak o
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Buddy read starting December 29 with Sarah, Shelly, Evgeny, Karly, Jess, Allison, Catherine & Monty Cupcake.

Discussion Thread

2014 Review:
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

5 Stars!

When I saw that some of my friends on Goodreads were getting a buddy read of this book organized, I jumped at the chance to join. I don't really know why I love this book so much. It actually has a few problems and I see them but I just don't care. I love this book anyway despite all of its flaws
Buddy-read with these lovely ladies: Sh3lly, Sarah & Carole(With a hopeful guest appearance of Jess - because Jess & I read all the vampy-ness together, apparently :P)

Let's see if Harris' written word can live up to (or surpass) this sexy-ass vamp:

And beast:

The Review:

2 Stars

Where do I begin? Oh, I know! BILL! I have never been a fan of Bill. (In "True Blood" he always reminded me a bit more of a boring-ass tax accountant than a vampire, he just not vampiric to me....) So, yes, I knew
RandomAnthony
Feb 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-so-hot
Notes from the reviewer's internal dialogue before reviewing this book

You want to say this is, if not the worst book you’ve ever read, one of the worst. Is your assertion accurate or are you engaging in hyperbole?

I believe this is one of the worst books I have ever read. I didn’t finish, giving up at the 60% mark, but I stand by the statement under the assumption that the author didn’t turn into Shakespeare in the book’s final third. The last book I read that even approached this nadir was some
Wanda
So finally, I meet Sookie Stackhouse. I am late to the party by about 15 years, but I really enjoyed making her acquaintance. I polished off the book in one evening and could quite happily have turned around and read it again right away. In fact I did go back and read my favourite sections again.

I found Sookie to be a smart and feisty main character. Instead of her telepathy being an advantage, she has found it the ultimate in distracting, almost like a learning disability. So when she runs into
Jess
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nope
Recommended to Jess by: previews of True Blood and Casey's rave review
Not for me.
Carolyn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, mystery
So I've finally read a book by Charlaine Harris. And it was good fun. Good plot, murders to be solved, a nice, well behaved vampire called Bill and some less nice, unscrupulous vampires, a clever girl-next-door called Sookie with an unusual gift and a light, humorous style of writing. Might even read another book in the series one day.
All the Books!: True Blood 3 4 Jun 12, 2018 08:43AM
All the Books!: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 19 8 May 11, 2018 04:47PM
Fragment for the Dark Essay Revisions 3 29 Feb 11, 2018 10:52PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Dead Until Dark [Jan 1, 2018] 127 54 Jan 17, 2018 11:17AM
Lovers of Paranor...: DEAD UNTIL DARK is our *CULT READ* 20 211 Oct 31, 2017 06:41AM
Fantasy and Vampi...: Halloween Mod Favourite BOM 9 26 Oct 24, 2017 10:44PM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 80 - Dead Until Dark 6 29 Aug 31, 2017 02:48PM
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men (Jane Jameson, #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2)
  • When Twilight Burns (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #4)
  • Undead and Unwelcome (Undead, #8)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey #2)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an
More about Charlaine Harris

Sookie Stackhouse (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2)
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3)
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4)
  • Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)
  • Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6)
  • All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7)
  • From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)
  • Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Woo woo, secret vampire stuff!” 230 likes
“I snuck a look to see how Eric was taking this, and he was staring at me the same way the Monroe vampires had. Thoughtful. Hungry.
"That's interesting," he said. "I had a psychic once. It was incredible."
"Did the psychic think so?”
182 likes