Start by marking “Brotherhood in Death (In Death, #42)” as Want to Read:
Brotherhood in Death (In Death, #42)

Brotherhood in Death

(In Death #42)

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  21,433 ratings  ·  1,788 reviews
Dennis Mira just had two unpleasant surprises. First he learned that his cousin Edward was secretly meeting with a real estate agent about their late grandfather’s magnificent West Village brownstone, despite the promise they both made to keep it in the family. Then, when he went to the house to confront Edward about it, he got a blunt object to the back of the head.

Luckil
Published February 2nd 2016 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Brotherhood in Death, please sign up.
Brynne I respectfully disagree, but I understand where you're coming from. For me, I like the familiarity of coming back to characters I know and love. Its l…moreI respectfully disagree, but I understand where you're coming from. For me, I like the familiarity of coming back to characters I know and love. Its like watching a crime series - I get to ride along as Eve and her team solve it, but more importantly I get the character interactions and to see their growth. Sometimes ill take a break from the series, but I always come back.
I ESPECIALLY adore the books that centre more around the main characters, as I find them more exciting. Maybe if you just wanted to read those one? New York to Dallas is an example of that.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Susan I enjoyed this book. We spent more time with the Miras and came to know Dennis better. An emotional case for Eve and it is interesting to see how she …moreI enjoyed this book. We spent more time with the Miras and came to know Dennis better. An emotional case for Eve and it is interesting to see how she has evolved since the series began. (less)

·  21,433 ratings  ·  1,788 reviews

Start your review of Brotherhood in Death (In Death, #42)
Phrynne
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is a comment on the cover of this book from David Baldacci which says "Gut searing emotional drama" and my goodness is he ever correct! This book is heavy. The case Eve is investigating is gruesome, there is a lot to debate about what is and what is not just and Eve herself hits a new low in her own emotional health. However Roarke is always there chasing the demons away and there are delightful scenes with Peabody and Dennis Mira where we see how Eve has learned to depend on her friends, ...more
Jonetta
This case becomes personal to Eve Dallas when she's asked by Charlotte Mira to look into husband Dennis' assault and search for his missing cousin. What begins as an unofficial missing persons case for Eve, explodes into something much more sinister.

I loved how this case evolved, with classic Eve Dallas investigating where she's relying on those extraordinary instincts and procedurals. It makes a huge difference in my enjoyment to be able to follow the clues as she's hunting them down and get t
Jilly
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Peabody: "why have a sex droid in the bedroom closet—and McNab said it was programmed for the universe of sex—if you’re diddling with live ones regularly?”

Eve: “The answer to that is: penis.”

Peabody: "Why do guys always sniff out the young ones? Dudes in their fifties, they’re hunting up sex partners in their twenties. In their sixties, same deal. Into the seventies, they’d go for the twenties if they could get them, and settle for the thirties, maybe forties, if they crash on younger.”

Eve: “Sam
Ariel
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was very hard to read.

Let me qualify that a bit: I love J.D. Robb's In Death series; I've loved it ever since I stumbled across the first book ( Naked in Death ) in a hospital gift shop as a teen. I love that its content is out there in the world and out there so successfully, something I don't think would have happened (at least not on such a high level) years ago. I love that there is a strong, compassionate, female character out there that has been endowed with a realistic PTSD/c
Mo
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I often wonder how Eve stands the job she has to do. A lot of her cases bring back the memories from her childhood ... and her childhood was not a happy place.

"Wake up! Eve, you bloody well wake up and fucking breathe."

As always, Roarke is there for her. They have their ups and downs and I love that about them. Their relationship is not perfect. He annoys the shite out of her with his cool demeanor.

Oh, she hated when he did that. Hated when she was primed for a good, bloody fight and he
♥Sharon♥
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. Heart.

I thought I had reached that point of “I couldn’t love this series any more than I already do” but J.D. has pushed the envelope with this one. At least for me. Brotherhood in Death is one of my top 5 books in this series.

I cried. The moments Eve had with Dennis Mira just twisted my heart up. I love this guy. Then Peabody. She is MAG. She loves Eve and would do anything for her. And of course Roarke. What he wouldn’t do for his cop. He is her rock.

I laughed. I love Eve and her metap
Julia
I love this whole series. I think the author has done an excellent job developing the different relationships not only with Eve and Roarke (F & M protagonist), but also with the whole cast of characters throughout the 42 book series. There was some humor in this book (Peabody and her loose pants), but not as much as in previous books. Aside from the murder-mystery, I think the focus was more on Eve's relationship with the Dr. & Mr. Mira.

That being said, once I understood where the story line was
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Full review to come later because I'm moving into the next book... 😜😜😜
Kirsten #feedthehungry #learntorow #happybirthdayalexanderpushkin
One of the best in this series! I absolutely love the In Death series. Whenever a new one comes out, it seems the whole world just takes a back seat. I'm just glad I don't have a job or kids.

Part of the enjoyment comes from Susan Ericksen's incredible performance as narrator/performer. It just brings the text to life. This is one of the few series where I insist on the audiobook.

Next is the characters. Reading/listening to an In Death books is like checking in on on old friends.

Next is the wor
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

First of all, thank you, Nora Roberts, for being consistently amazing. Getting the latest J. D. Robb book is practically a holiday in my house. No more than six months pass between her books, and yet somehow they always seem like an eternity.

Honestly, what could be better than a series that keeps on being awesome, even after 42 installments? Not much, that’s what. I know these characters inside and out, but more importantly, Nora knows them too, which means they are always, unfailingly, tru
Shawna
5 stars – Futuristic/Romantic Suspense/Crime/Thriller/Mystery

Brotherhood in Death is one of the best of the series, but it’s not an easy read.

This time the murder case was particularly brutal and a difficult one for Eve that made her relive her traumatic past. Knowing the horror Eve endured and survived as a child made this even more disturbing and emotional. But Roarke, Peabody, and Mr. Mira were there to support her, lend their strength, and to help her stand tough and strong, as always. (vie
Heather
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
There’s obviously a bit of a formula to the ‘in death’ books. Eve and/or Roarke is almost always tied to the crime or criminal(s) in at least some small way. Eve is her curmudgeonly self, but her friends help to bring her out of herself. She and Roarke have dark pasts that get brought up. There’s a murder to solve, and some difficult police work to be done. Usually there’s also a lot of zingy dialogue that’s too fun not to share with others. I’m not using the ‘formula’ bit as an insult–Robb uses ...more
Nariko
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Without even reading it, the book automatically gets 5 stars just 'cause Dennis Mira's in it.

UPDATE: Should have known better than to read the book before going to bed-- couldn't put it down until I finished it in the wee hours of the morning.
Jina Bazzar
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it

Sometimes I have a penchant for police/detective work and JD Rob never fails to deliver. Romance – check. Action – check. Great visualization – check. Humor – check. Dark – check.
Yes, it ticks all the boxes, hence the reason I've read 42 books in the series so far.
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Book #42 and no signs of becoming redundant. These guys just keep catching the perps and cracking jokes. Roarke as always = Yummy! Eve = Kick Ass. Dennis = HUGE PUFFY HEARTS!
I love this cast of characters. Always :)
Ann Lou
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I've had an emotional upheaval while reading this installment.  Powerful, influential, wealthy men are murdered in this installment.  The method indicates sexual retribution and cold blooded revenge.  What they did for brotherhood was inhuman.   Disgusting excuse for human beings. It maybe wrong but I was rooting for the killers in this one.  I feel so much hate for the bastards.  Monsters.

Thank the stars for Eve and her metaphors.  It lighten up the story a bit.

" Idle hands are
Anastasia
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brotherhood in Death by J.D.Robb is book 42 in the In Death series. Dennis Mira walks in on an attack on his cousin in his old family home and is himself knocked out and when he wakes up and finds his cousin missing, he calls in Lieutenant Eve Dallas to investigate. Another fabulous book in the series. This time we find out more about Dennis Mira who has mainly had minor appearances in the past. I loved the ceremony when Trueheart receives his detectives shield and I enjoyfollowing the lives of ...more
Donna
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: criminal-mystery

J. D. Robb began publishing this series 21 years ago, yet her characters have only aged three years during that time. I wish I could say the same about myself. But just as there's no stopping time in real life, there's no going back in time, except through memories which this 42nd book in the series stirs up in Eve, and not good ones, at that.

Finally! Fans of this series get to know Dennis Mira from the inside out. Up until now, he's played a very minor role in the series, a sweet befuddled and
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: NC-17
Overall: entertained
Characters: Well Written
Plot: How money and power corrupts
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Roarke

SUMMARY (100 words or less)
Probably 4.5 stars. It was a solid installment with only a few small problems. But my love for this series continues. And I look forward to the next installment. (view spoiler)
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
4.5 Stars

Definatly been a while since a book evoked so much emotions in me..This one was defiantly a cry fest compared to the other in the series. My heart went out to Eve especially in this one but also to the Midas,Roarke & Peabody and how they deal with her pain.

The crime in this one was an emotionally sensitive one....Ugh my heart !
Darcy
I'm always happy to read a new In Death book, this time around was no different, although I was a bit leery because it looked like Dennis Mira was going to be in it a lot. He's such a gentle soul that I didn't want anything bad to befall him.

Dennis Mira's part in the story was marginal, but done in a way to bring Eve in. It was interesting to see Eve have to deal with Mr. Mira in a professional way. You could tell that she didn't want to, but needed to do her job. Best was how Mr. Mira did his
Brenda
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When NYPSD profiler and good friend to Lieutenant Eve Dallas, Charlotte Mira contacted Eve in a panic, Eve knew something was very wrong – her friend was not a person to lose her cool. The injury to her husband Dennis was shocking; but the discovery that Dennis’ cousin Edward Mira was missing was the beginning of a violent and vicious, but highly political episode in the lives of the department.

As the investigation deepened, Roarke and Eve discovered dark and horrible secrets which could bring
Diane
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that I took my time reading this book. Absolutely loved every bit of it. Full of emotion, good and bad, and a better understanding of Mr. Dennis Mira - how could you not love this guy! Can definitely see the attraction Eve has for this man (and not in a sexual way).

The wealthy and privileged take center stage in the main plot - and don't you just love to hate that bunch! Some very good bantering goes on throughout the book between Eve and Peabody - love those times.

And yes, I found
Venus Blancia
Brotherhood in Death is another emotional come back for Eve's character development as New York's finest cop, a friend, and a wife. This series installment focuses on the death of Edward Mira, the cousin of Dennis Mira whom the latter serves as the factor of all emotional indiscretions for Eve to focus on the crime rather than on her emotional battle to protecting her loved ones. What I like about this book is the so much concern of Roarke as Eve faced a well-conflicted personal crime of her pas ...more
Somia
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well I breezed through this read. The brotherhood consists of wealthy, self-entitled men who have for decades committed horrific/cruel acts - (view spoiler), now it’s their turn, they’re being tortured and killed and it’s up to Eve to find out why. This one hits close to home for Eve, due to her history, and I love how the author through Eve highlights that you can move forward and live, but that doesn’t mean the past dissipates entirely, it can ...more
Tori
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy, dark, futuristic
Originally posted at SmexyBooks-http://smexybooks.com/2016/02/review-...

Favorite Quote: “I would have stood for you, the law would have stood for you.”

A former senator goes missing, his cousin, Dr. Dennis Mira, is the only witness to the crime. Left with a concussion and a sense of forbidding, Dr. Mira calls his wife for help. Luckily for him, he is married to a renowned profiler for the NYSPD, Dr. Charlotte Mira, and good friends with Lieutenant Eve Dallas. When Eve and Charlotte arrive, Dennis
Jen
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, audio, fv, eve-and-roarke
Eve and Roarke

Loved this one.

“The answer is penis.”

42 books into this series and how can it possibly remain fresh? Well let me tell you, Brotherhood in Death is one of the best so far. This is a very good thing because the previous book, Devoted in Death, was kind of boring. But then I guess the one before that, Obsession in Death, was pretty freaking awesome. Maybe even NR has an off day??

Brotherhood in Death is book 42 in this series and it is pretty fantastic. The plot involves one of the se
Cathryn Chandler
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: jd-robb
Brotherhood in Death
I’ll start by saying (or repeating!) I’ve read every JD Robb book at least once, and most of them 3 or 4 times. I love this series—and there is no doubt that Nora Roberts is my favorite writer. Having said that—I thought there were some issues with the plot and the characters, and maybe a break-through moment for me.
There has been a pretty stalwart and growing group of Eve Dallas fans who have wondered “what’s up with this series?” for the last 4 books or so, both here on G
Katie(babs)
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brotherhood in Death is another great installment of this long running series by JD Robb. The gang’s all here, as in Eve and Roarke’s Scooby Doo type bunch as they race the clock to stop a group of killers out for revenge against some respected and powerful men, who behind the scenes are kinky and disturbing rapists. This case really grabs you by the throat, bringing forth many emotions, mainly from Eve because of her traumatic past, and how she stands by her badge to bring down those breaking t ...more
Erin Burns
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This series is an auto for me. I adore Eve and Roarke and the whole gang. But, this is Book 42 in the series, and while the mystery stands alone and you probably COULD read this without the rest of the series, I would say it is inadvisable, because the STORY doesn't standalone.

And this one features a favorite character that we haven't had a whole lot of insight into. And I adore that part, although he was even more befuddled then I would have expected (it was a bit over done). I have to admit th
J.D. Robb : Brotherhood In Death Buddy Read - May 2020 68 24 May 31, 2020 03:18PM
Around the Year i...: Brotherhood in Death, by J.D. Robb 3 32 Jan 12, 2017 09:26AM
Play Book Tag: Brotherhood in Death by J.D. Robb - 4 stars 3 16 Mar 06, 2016 04:45PM

• Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Hot Rocks
  • Under Currents
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Loving Liv (Gone Wild #5)
  • In Dreams (Once Upon, #3)
  • High Noon
  • Hideaway
  • Sanctuary
  • Birthright
  • Gaming Grace (Gone Wild, #2)
  • The Couple's Retirement Puzzle: 10 Must-Have Conversations for Creating an Amazing New Life Together
  • Shelter in Place
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • The Siblings O'Rifcan #1-5
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • The Hollow (Sign of Seven, #2)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)