Start by marking “30,000 Leagues Undersea: True Tales of a Submariner and Deep Submergence Pilot” as Want to Read:
30,000 Leagues Undersea: True Tales of a Submariner and Deep Submergence Pilot

Read Book* *Different edition

30,000 Leagues Undersea: True Tales of a Submariner and Deep Submergence Pilot

Journey with me into the abyss, a world far more dangerous than space!

What's this book about? Life. Death. Imminent danger. Unexpected reprieve. Victory. Defeat. Success. Failure. Thermo-nuclear war. True love. Loss. High drama. Low comedy. Ronald Reagan. Mikhail Gorbachev. And Bond, James Bond.

They’re all here. Ninety amazing and entirely true tales of swash-buckling ad
Nook, ePub format
Published April 10th 2015 by Tom Vetter Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about 30,000 Leagues Undersea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 30,000 Leagues Undersea

Linda
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to all readers, young and old. The book was beautifully written. The reader will laugh out loud through some passages and will cry through others.

"This book is a compilation of tales, the highlights of life spent as a submarine officer and a deep submergence pilot. These are the 'good parts,' cooked down to short tales you can read on a bus, on a work break, or in your bunk before lights out.

"Join me. I will take you places no one else can. You will survive, I promis
Karl Nehring
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a Gooodreads Giveaway. Having long been attracted to books about submarines and submariners, I was eager to read it when it arrived in my mailbox.

I was surprised to see that rather than being organized chronologically, the chapters were presented as standalone stories in a somewhat random order. Granted, Vetter did recognize that this might make some readers uncomfortable, so he presented a guide to reading the chapters in historical sequence. I decided to read the book a
Chad
I enjoyed this book once I got over the fact that it did not go in chronological order. There were times while reading that I had to go and look at a different section to get my bearings as to the time that LCDR Vetter was in the service and when he was serving on the civilian side. I found that as soon as I started reading each of his stories with the attitude that this was a sailor telling a particular “sea-story” then I had no problem with the book. LCDR Vetter did a lot for our country while ...more
Les Gehman
This book contains 90 stories from the life of Tom Vetter, a submariner in the U.S. Navy and a deep submergence pilot. All of the stories are interesting and well written. However, they don't really seem to be in any kind of logical order in the book, so I recommend reading them in the chronological order provided at the end of the book.

I was going to complain that the adult language and situations were asterisked out and glossed over respectively, but in the afterword the author explains that h
Gary Detrick
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. It is well written and consist of many interesting tales of Tom's experience. It reads more like an autobiography and sometimes it may come across as self-important, although that is not the authors intention. I believe I was expecting the adventures to be more like the exploration and intensity of non-fiction books as Island of the Lost, Endurance: Shackleton’s Incredible Journey, Into Africa, etc.

I did find the book very interesting and it kept my
WILLIAM SMTH
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very good book, excellent, I like the adventures so I read it.
This book was filled with a ton of fascinating stories, that the author actually lived through. It was a very interesting read, and worth reading if you're interested in submarines, military / navy, or just..someone who was so dedicated to making his dreams come true that he stopped at nothing to achieve them. In that respect, Tom Vetter is very inspirational.

However, there were a few things that bothered me. First, and perhaps I'm being too nit-picky here, but Vetter legitimately cited Wikipedi
Renukha
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of thank you Tom Vetter for sharing this wonderful story. And thank you for your services to our great nation.
Your underwater journey as a hydronaut was really wonderful and it really provided me with a different perspective about the navy. Once again thank you for selecting me as one of the people to read your book during the give away.
Harrison Vetter
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another great book by Tom Vetter! Utterly amazing! This one is all about his captivating undersea exploits, many of which are unbelievable. As good as Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Undersea, if not better! I could not put it down and finished it in a week!
Tarissa
Dec 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this volume has a ton of mostly interesting stories about the author, as penned in his own words. It's a lot to take in though, and the reader can get weighted down with all the technical nautical terms, but Vetter does have a good sense of humor which lightens the mood. Now, what I REALLY don't like about the book is the following...

NOTE to the discerning reader: This book contains a lot of foul language. Also, it shares a few scenes that are intended for a mature audience. The author
Tom Vetter
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it, so clearly I think it is a good book. But you should read it and decide that for yourself!

I will say this about it: It's true - I lived every bit of it. It's unusual - how many have or will ever have the chance to voyage into an alien world, meet alien life-forms there, and go where NO ONE has ever gone before - or ever will again.

I did. And that's what this book it about.
Toothbrush.fh

• Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture
  • Deciduous Tales
  • Soulflowing Fire
  • The Secret of Life
  • Starcrasher (Shades Space Opera #1)
  • The Hospital at the End of the World
  • FUBAR, Volume 3: American History Z
  • Lady Justice Gets Lei'd (Lady Justice#3)
  • Headspace
  • Wonderful World
  • Hugo!: The Hugo Chavez Story from Mud Hut to Perpetual Revolution
  • America's First Civilization (Smithsonian Library)
  • The Book of the Short Sun: On Blue's Waters/In Green's Jungles/Return to the Whorl
  • The Noble Exiles (Ocean Black, #1)
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • The Sindbad Voyage
  • The Demon's Crystal: A Thrilling Adventure
  • Adak
Those who can, do. Those who can do no longer, teach - or better still, write. Tom Vetter has done both - living it first and then writing about it. As a naval officer he served more than two decades in submarines and deep submergence vehicles. During his career then-Commander Vetter sailed more than 100,000 miles on and undersea. He operated diesel and nuclear submarines during the Vietnam and Co ...more