Start by marking “Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)

Songs About a Girl

(Songs About a Girl #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,348 ratings  ·  229 reviews
Charlie Bloom never wanted to be 'with the band'. She's happiest out of the spotlight, behind her camera, unseen and unnoticed. But when she's asked to take backstage photos for hot new boy band Fire&Lights, she can't pass up the chance.

Catapulted into a world of paparazzi and backstage bickering, Charlie soon becomes caught between gorgeous but damaged frontman, Gabriel
Published July 28th 2016 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Songs About a Girl, please sign up.
Chris Russell Hey Elina! So pleased you enjoyed the book. Not sure of an exact release date for the sequel yet, but it'll be sometime in summer 2017. :)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
****3.5 STARS****

For a more detailed and unfiltered review. . . https://prettymessreading.com/2017/08...

Don’t let the 3.5 rating score you into thinking this wasn’t a good book because it really was. The only reason it’s 3.5 STARS instead of 4 STARS is because of the age of the characters for me. If I was a tad bit younger, I may have given this book a solid 4 STARS.

If I had a teenager or young adult, this is the type of book I would want them to read. It is not only is a beautiful love story bu
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley.)

“I knew this was impossible, and completely crazy – but somehow… the song was about me.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl and a boy band.

Charlie was an okay character, and she did come across as fairly normal. I felt quite sorry for her when she was getting bullied, and the way things got out of control because of a single photograph, but
Kate (GirlReading)
Was this essentially a One Direction fanfic?
Totally.

Did I still kinda love it?
100%

This was basically the book of my 15 year old selfs, One Direction obsessed dreams. It was incredibly cheesy but thats what made it so enjoyable. It’s simple writing style meant I flew through it in no time at all and had so much fun doing so. I mean, any book with a blonde haired, acoustic guitar playing Irish band member *cough* Niall Horan *cough* is always going to win some nostalgic Fangirl points from me.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: Friendship, fame, betrayal, bullying, family.

This was such an addictive story, I seriously could not put it down.

This is another YA that acknowledges technology - it confronts online bullying and trolling head on and if anything the consequences of every action are even greater because of today's technology. But despite the serious issues it tackles, it still manages to stay relatively fun. And it makes the story very compelling.

I loved Charlie's insecurity and self doubt, and I loved w
Michelle
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard about Songs About a Girl I knew it was a book I had to read. I really enjoy books with this type of theme, and once it arrived I could not wait to make a start on it.

Charlie is an amateur photographer, taking photos for fun. Her recent shots of a gig garner the attention of Olly, an old school acquaintance, who wants her to come and take backstage photographs of his band Fire & Lights. After some deliberation, and sneaking on her best friends part, Charlie soon finds herself a
Kirsty
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I've been waiting for. The book to break me out of several months of indifferent reading. I adored it. It could have been written for my inner teen. Music, boy bands and a cool and lovely lead. I want sequels. I want lots of sequels.
Aggie Unsworth
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! I don't know where to begin! I freaking loved this book!! All the stars... all of them, everywhere. When my best friend was raving to me about this book I knew I would like it too, but this has been so much more then I expected.

Charlie Bloom likes to be invisible and with her best friend. She lives with her dad and she loves to take pictures. And while everyone is crazy for the new hot boy band Fire&Lights, Charlie couldn't really care less. She still remembers one of the band members, Ol
Stacey (prettybooks)
I was introduced to Songs About a Girl at a blogger event at Hachette Towers, and this is where we also got to meet the fabulous author, Chris Russell, who's an utter delight and self-confessed fanboy. He's in a band himself – The Lightyears – and has previously written for a One Direction fansite, so is in a perfect position to write about the world of music.

I assumed Songs About a Girl would be told from the point of view of Fire&Lights – a hot new boyband – but it's actually the incredible C
hannah ✧/ᐠ-ꞈ-ᐟ\ (on hiatus)
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: boy band lovers
Review first posted on my blog!

Rating: 3.0 stars.

“How long, I wondered, could a group of people spend every waking minute together, with tensions riding high, before it all came crashing down around them?

Something, eventually, would have to give."

Charlie Bloom, a talented, aspiring young photographer, is completely normal- at least according to her. However, with a "gentle" push from her best friend, Melissa, she finds herself entangled in the glamorous lives of Fire&Lights, teen pop sen
Holly Sparks
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

Songs About a Girl really took me through the emotions. I found myself completely glued to the pages as if I was in a trance and couldn't look away until the book ended!

Charlie was a great main character. I found her exciting, real and true. She is just like every other teenager who feels like they're alone in this world, but that's until Fire&Lights send Charlie a message.

A message that will change her life.

I could totally relate to Charlie in this book as photography is one of my true passion
Romance Readers Retreat
This is the author's debut novel and I have to say that I didn't much care for it. I enjoyed reading it but it didn't hold my attention very well and I have to admit that I skimmed through a lot of it. I was instantly intrigued by the blurb and thought it was going to be a hot, sexy story about rockstars with maybe a love triangle thrown in like the blurb seemed to depict, but there was very little romance in this novel.

We have Charlie who is an amateur photographer, only using her camera as a h
Sal
The easiest 5 stars I have ever given. I'd give it a hundred stars if I could. I just knew, I knew the moment I first discovered the existence of this book that I would love it. Now it's become a very special part of me and I'll treasure it forever.

This is the very best of #boybandlit. It's filled with joy, friendship, heartbreak and boyband shenanigans - everything you could possibly want in a book! There were just SO MANY GODDAMN FEELS. Charlie Bloom is my spirit animal. I want to hug her. Ho
MochaGeek
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
First of all it was mighty long. 358 pages for a contemporary book? (and it has a sequel?) Too long unless the content is good.
Second of all it was predictable. Ahem of course there's two guys: a good one and a bad one and guess who she chooses? And of course they decided to have this "huge" plot twist which I could see coming from a mile away.
Anyways, It was stupidly long and even though the writing was good I really didn't like the way that the author leaned towards cliches and tried
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
Very readable and a lot of fun!
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
I'm always drawn to books that feature boy bands and the fame and fan craze that accompanies it. That's probably why I sped through this book in a few hours. "Songs About a Girl" brought back all the nostalgia I had for One Direction, while also giving an insider look on the music industry and the life of rising stars.

Charlie Bloom, a quiet teenager growing up in the U.K., loves photography. Olly Samson, a recent alum of her high school and now rising pop star in the mega popular up-and-coming b
Yolanda Sfetsos
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a good, solid & exciting YA contemporary
I have to start this review by mentioning how awesome this cover is. Not only is it totally fitting, but that silvery CD shine and polaroid pic are so nice.

Anyway, I grabbed this book yesterday afternoon to get a feel for it... and ended up reading the first 100 pages in one sitting! LOL. I found Charlie's voice compelling, and had a feeling it was going to be fun. I just didn't know I would love it instantly.

Charlie just turned sixteen. She's in Year Eleven, lives with her busy father, has a hi
Angelica
I didn’t really like this book. And I feel bad for it.

I wanted to like this, and I just wasn’t into it. At one point I was just pushing myself through it because I refused to leave it unfinished.

The book is about 15-year old Charlie, who gets the chance of a lifetime to go backstage and photograph the hot new boy band: Fire&Lights. There she meets the guys who would become her friends. There is boy next door, Olly, funny and intelligent Yuki, quiet and kind Aiden, and of course, talented and dys
Samantha (WLABB)
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, ya, romance, 2017-debuts
Charlie Bloom was not your typical teen. Therefore, when she was contacted by a member of the current-hottest-boy band to photograph them for their fan site, she declined. Due to interference from her technologically savvy best friend, she found herself a reluctant part of the Fire&Lights world. With each concert, she found herself more attached to each member of the band, but there was something different about her attachment to Gabriel, the brooding bad boy of the band. As they got to know eac ...more
KatieBookQueen
Reviewed at: http://www.queenofteenfiction.co.uk/

Boyband lit. I’ve read a few books that fall into this genre before, and honestly? I’ve not really enjoyed them. I often find the plot quite predictable and the band too cliché and cheesy, and I was worried that I’d never find a book that would get me into this genre. But then I read Songs About a Girl, got utterly sucked into the plot, and fell in love with a fictional boyband.

This story follows Charlie after she gets a Facebook message from Oll
Kali Cole
THERE BETTER BE A SEQUEL CAUSE THE WAY THIS ENDED...NO NO IT DOES NOT END WIT THAT CLIFF HANGER. This book was all types of shocking, fangirling, beautiful, angering, happy crying! It was everyone all wrapped in one book. I reallyyyyyyy hope there's a sequel.
Ema
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes there are rare moments in bookstores when among thousands of books one catches your eye for no obvious reason and you end up buying it even though you don't know anything about it... this was the case with Songs about a girl...
I enjoyed this book a loooooot and didn't see the plot twist coming ... it was such an easy read and made me laugh out loud to the point where I needed to call my best friend and read the funny parts to her :D
And because it made me smile sooooo much I give it 4
KatForsyth
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-general
I really really enjoyed this. Quick, light read, but not without substance. Pretty pleased I pulled it off the library shelf just because it was next to another book I wanted to read!
Holly ✨
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m obsessed. Slightly cheesy, but who doesn’t love some cheese? Gabriel is swoon worthy and there were plenty of moments where I wanted to throw my kindle in annoyance but also where I had to squeal with how cute it was. Whilst Olly was sweet he annoyed me slightly jumping in at any moment he could; however I loved that he was there for Charlie when she needed him.
Serendipity Reviews
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I forgot to update this in all of my excitement this week. This is my book of the month!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
This One Direction-inspired contemporary starts out with strong voice but descends into all the worst love triangle cliches, culminating in a predictable twist cliffhanger.

The worst aspect for me, though, is that I really loathe the romance. Before she met Gabriel, I liked Charlie. I was impressed by Russell's ability to write a female voice. She was independent and a bit funny, and she had this really blasé attitude about all the fame stuff that felt more believable than it usually does in a c
Ashley
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 4-stars, library
I tend to enjoy any book about a regular girl getting "in" with the hot band, and this wasn't any different. It was cute; I quite liked Charlie and her life - her family, her bff Melissa. I like that things weren't picture-perfect (like how she got bullied at school) but that she never was an unlikeable character. And I enjoyed the story, it was a cute premise that could be believable, and worked pretty well. I enjoyed it.

Some Fire&Lights blathering: (view spoiler)
Sarah Hay
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-series
Read this one as an ebook and I was happily reading along and book ends. Looks like there is a sequel (or more) to come. Charlie Bloom is a quiet high schooler who enjoys photography. Out of the blue she is contacted by a former student from her high school who has become a member of the hottest pop band. Soon Charlie is swept up into the backstage life of boy bands as she works as a photographer for the bands fan page. When the bands newest song includes poems from a notebook left by Charlie's ...more
Annie
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
i bought this off a shelf because it looked pretty which is pretty stupid right?! next time i should look thoroughly through the book and find out it's a trilogy before reading it so i'm not LEFT ON A CLIFFHANGER!!!! that being said it was a good trashy read for when i wanted a break from school work. 10/10 would recommend if you want a brain numbing read.
Joelle
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent YA novel! The story is fun, but hits on some issues that plenty of young people deal with like bullying and family hardships. The story mixes a one-in-a-million opportunity (personal photographer to a One Direction-like boyband) with a typical high school experience. That concept may seem far fetched at first, but the main character, Charlie Bloom, is relatable and easy to empathize with. I can't wait to read the sequel!

*I received a copy of this book free from the publishe
McKenzie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars! I really enjoyed reading this! It was really sweet! Charlie is a great main character! The band aspect is really fun!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Love Song
  • Open Road Summer
  • Theatrical
  • Going Solo (Girl Online, #3)
  • Kiss Collector
  • Signs Point to Yes
  • All I've Never Wanted
  • All About the Hype (Jessie Jefferson, #3)
  • On Tour (Girl Online #2)
  • The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1)
  • How to Speak Boy
  • It's My Life
  • Fear of Missing Out
  • Hello?
  • Girl Online (Girl Online, #1)
  • Crying Laughing
  • Blue (Blue #1)
  • Rosie Loves Jack
When I was thirteen, my best friend and I went to a Bon Jovi concert at Wembley Stadium. We thought it looked like fun, so we started our own band - a band that, ten years later, would become The Lightyears. Since then, we've been lucky enough to tour all over the world, from Cape Town to South Korea, playing at Glastonbury Festival and O2 Arena and supporting members of legendary rock bands such ...more

Songs About a Girl (3 books)
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)