Start by marking “Among the Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light” as Want to Read:
Among the Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light

Among the Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light

Even the lightest hearts have shaded corners to hide the black thoughts that come at night. Experience the darker side of YA as 13 authors explore the places that others prefer to leave among the shadows.

The eyes have it--Gretchen McNeil--
The one true Miranda Lieu--Kate Karyus Quinn--
Such a lovely monster--Justina Ireland--
Heroin(e)--Kelly Fiore--
Canary--Demitria Lunetta--
Published September 14th 2015 by Demitria Lunetta

To ask other readers questions about Among the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Shadows

Start your review of Among the Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light
Kimberly
This was a very strange collection of stories, covering subjects from addiction to monsters that live under the bed. There were only a couple stories that really stood out to me. The rest were, at best, just okay.
Holly
The Eyes Have It by Gretchen McNeil: a classic story of revenge, yet it was missing something for me? That ending was like WHOA, but I also wasn't super impressed with it being another girls-hating-girls because of guys scenario. Maybe if I'd known Jane better, I would've seen how her mind just simply cracked, but anyway. I still found it interesting; I just didn't have any strong feelings about it. (3 stars)

The One True Miranda Lieu by Kate Karyus Quinn: omg what the hell was this one??? I don'
Zerah
2.5 *

Like with most shortstory collections, there were some stories I really liked, some that I disliked and a bunch that were on an okay-ish range. I wouldn't run around and recommend this book but I wouldn't advise you against reading it if you're interested either.
Jillian
A mixed bag of thirteen dark tales.
My top five:
"The Cowbird Egg" by Phoebe North (so unsettling it may haunt me forever)
"Not Fade Away" by Geoffrey Girard (exquisite)
"Blarach Bridge" by Lydia Kang (intriguing with an excellent protagonist)
"Heroin(e)" by Kelly Fiore (gritty and gripping)
"Lonely Hunter" by Beth Revis (my favorite of the bunch... that ending!)
Gisbelle
What I don't like the most about reading an analogy is the part where I have to rate the book.

Among these 13 short stories, I only like 5 of them. (review to be added)
Amber
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brian Montanaro
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Among the Shadows is a very interesting book and I could easily picture reading the short stories around a campfire! That said, the book is not entirely composed of paranormal or ghost stories. Yes, there is a story about a monster under the bed, one with aliens, and another about a demon, but many of the stories look further into what makes a monster, and how humans and real life can be just as scary, if not more, than anything else.

The wide array of story lines (drugs, depression, family, post
Shelley
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-signed-copy
I received Among the Shadows, this fall, as part of the Betty Bites Back Kickstarter.

As mentioned, this is a compilation of 13 stories by 13 different authors.
Each ranging in topic and darkness.

Many of the authors were new to me and I felt this was a good way to sample their work.

Naturally, I enjoyed some tales more than others.
Picking a favorite ~ Lonely Hunter by Beth Revis {this would make an interesting full length story, imo}
Least favorite ~ The Eyes Have It by Gretchen McNeil {a bit over
Emmie
I liked the first half.
Sara
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Everything is a little creepy and a little gross. All YA protagonists, mostly female. Overall a quick and interesting group of short stories.
Lori
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh collection of stories. Maybe two that were legitimately good.
Lizzie the Book Hoarder
The Eyes Have It" by Gretchen McNeil - A girl seeks the answers of why her boyfriend cheated. Even though I had an idea of what was going on since the beginning I loved the end of this story. 5 out of 5 stars.

"One True Miranda Lieu" by Kate Karyus Quinn - A girls life may not be what it seems. I liked the beginning of this story but once the truth of what was going on was revealed it did not feel like anything new. 2 out of 5 stars

"Such a Lovely Monster" by Justina Ireland - What would you do if
Jenn
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook
Average: 3.5 stars

*The Eyes Have It by Gretchen McNeil - 4.5 stars - That was wild! It totally went a way that I didn’t expect until the end. Very disturbing but good.

*The One True Miranda Lieu by Kate Karyus Quinn - 3.5 stars - It was weird but strangely decent. I kinda wished there was a little more for me to get into it.

*Such a Lovely Monster by Justina Ireland - 3 stars - I found it interesting. I liked the idea of the story but I didn’t like how it felt like a bland journal entry. It was c
Amy
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Most of these stories were really well done. As with all anthology type books, I enjoyed some more than others. All the stories showcase the darker side of ourselves. Some have happier endings than others but none end truly happily. That was somewhat refreshing. I don't usually like non-happy endings, but in this context it works for me.

My favorite stories were Heroin(e), Not Fade Away, The Cowbird Egg, Panic Room, and Lonely Hunter. I enjoyed the rest as well, and an honorary mention goes out t
Hannah Hall
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway at the end of October, and yes, it did take me over a month to read it. As with most anthologies, I liked some of the stories here more than others. "Not Fade Away" "Chasing the Sky," and "Panic Room" were my favorites, but only in the sense that I liked them more than the others. I didn't like the others much at all, and these three were only a bit better than the rest. The book itself has a cover and title that make it seem more creepy than it actua ...more
mad mags

"Chasing the Sky" by C. S. Lewis - 5/5 stars

"The Cowbird Egg" by Phoebe North - 3.5
Buffy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved this! I got my copy from the Kickstarter and it's signed by Demitria Lunetta!

Some of the stories were definitely better than others, but I enjoyed them all. My favourite, I think, was "The Cowbird Egg" by Phoebe North - I loved the way that ended!! Second favourite was "Lonely Hunter." Classic Beth Revis twist at the end there, lol. Oh, and also "Heroin(e)" by Kelly Fiore. I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of her new book when it's out.

I love short stories, I love horror, I l
Thomas Bruso
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Haunting, deliciously dark, and sometimes amusing, AMONG THE SHADOWS is a collection of 13 well-crafted and written horror stories. "Reunion" by Joelle Charbonneau and Mindy McGinnis's "Phantom Heart" stood out for me. In "Such a Lovely Monster," written by Justina Ireland, the thing under the bed is engaging and keeps the reader turning pages. A clever twist on things that go bump in the night.

Fun, spirited, dark stories. Read on!

I won AMONG THE SHADOWS as a Goodreads Giveaway. Thanks to the
Kelly
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
The Kickstarter really didn't give that much information on what it would be about. I was thinking it would be spooky, suspenseful, gothic-y, supernaturally stories when I pledged for it. That's what the cover seems to imply, at least to me. However, it's more dismemberment, torture, murder, and a girl prostituting herself for drugs. I really can't read any more. Sorry. They are well-written, and there are some interesting ideas. ...more
For a short story collection this was consistently great. I enjoyed all the stories, some more twisted than others, and will definitely be adding this to my rereads shelf. Some of these stories are definitely worth revisiting. My favorites of the batch were Chasing the Sky, and The Eyes Have it. It was a great, short read. Highly recommend this for fans of short stories and stories with a dark twist.
D
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This tome contains 13 short stories. While I went in expecting to be scared, I found that the majority of the stories were more creepy, strange, and sometimes very cool. So if you are looking for SPOOKY SCARY, I don't think this will be for you. BUT! If you like creepy stories. Stories that are just a bit too unsettling. You might enjoy some of the stories from this title. ...more
Briana
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Initial Thoughts: I was close to marking this DNF, but that seemed unfair based on the fact the stories are all by different authors. Too many of them aren't great examples of the short story form, mistaking sudden endings and lack of information for suspense and cleverness. Also so many dark themes that didn't have proper build-up. Who knew so many teenagers are cold, heartless killers? ...more
Lisa Welch
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I find it so hard to rate short story collections by a variety of authors. Some of the stories were great, some not so much. If you are looking for quick Halloween reads, this is a decent choice (although a couple of the stories don't fit the theme quite as well as others). ...more
Kate
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Lots to love here, although some of the stories are better than others. Beth Revis brings up the rear, and the twist at the end of her story definitely ends the collection on a good note (even if the twist is a bitter one).
Domini Phillips-Perkins ~Bookish Friends Reviews~
I am really saddened by this book. It offers so many great authors and most of the stories really didn't deliver for me. ...more
Andrea
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm usually not a big fan of short stories, but I found these all to be rather enjoyable and few of them . . . beyond creepy. ...more
Linda Joplin
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed most of the stories in this book, but my favorite was Panic Room (I give it 5 stars). I know people who have prepared for a post-apocalyptic future, and I found this story fascinating.
Mandy
Oct 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.
Jeremy Reppy
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable collection of creepy stories.
Alexis Stankewitz
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was an interesting mix of stories. I find it a tad difficult to rate a anthology because I enjoyed some more then others. Overall, a two star rating.

• Opium and Absinthe
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Bone Jar (Detective Lew Kirby, #1)
  • The Plot Against America
  • Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing
  • Her Final Words
  • Pretty Things
  • The Woman in the Moonlight
  • The Cast
  • Gridley Girls
  • The Burning Girl
  • Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
  • Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
  • Cold as Marble (Light as a Feather, #2)
  • Coast to Coast (Arizona Raptors #1)
  • The New Witch
Kate Karyus Quinn is an avid reader and menthol chapstick addict. She has a BFA in theater and an MFA in film and television production. She lives in Buffalo, NY with her husband, three children, and one giant dog.

Find her online at katekaryusquinn.com

Sign up for her newsletter for exclusive content and giveaways! https://tinyurl.com/y9zz4hp6