Start by marking “The Weird Wild West” as Want to Read:
The Weird Wild West

The Weird Wild West

Why the Weird Wild West?

The untamed frontier is a challenge, a test of character, a proving ground for the soul. It's a place where pioneers rewrite their future, or end their days…for better or worse. In the spirit of Bret Maverick, Cat Ballou, Kwai Chang Caine, and James West, The Weird Wild West blends western grit with the magical and mysterious unknown that waits beyo
Published November 21st 2015 by eSpec Books

To ask other readers questions about The Weird Wild West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weird Wild West

Start your review of The Weird Wild West
Steven
Just read the story Eighteen Sixty by Faith Hunter, set in the world of Jane Yellowrock. I really liked the concept, just felt like it needed more fleshing out.
Danielle
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anthologies can be difficult to review. Very seldom is a reader happy with every story within. The quality of the writing can be, shall we say, varied from story to story. And in the case of themed collections, the subject matter can get old by the time you've turned the last page.

Let me tell you that none of this is the case with The Weird Wild West.

This means a lot coming from me. I've edited many anthologies and I cannot help but look at short fiction with an editor's eye. When reading The We
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

A fairly decent anthology of western-themed stories with a twist, often of the paranormal or supernatural variety, with a bit of steampunk thrown in. A lot of the “western codes” are followed here. Little towns and farms on the Frontier, homesteaders and professional players, gunslingers and sharpshooters, sheriffs and outlaws, finding themselves dealing with something that one day comes to disturb their life. E
Ailyn
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Given to me by the publisher for an early review, Weird Wild West is a mixture of paranormal plus the wild west era, a unique mixture of shamans, spirits and modern cowboys. Another great anthology by eSpecbooks, W3 features a lot of cool stories that revolve around the two themes: weird and wild west.

My favorite of the lot is Ruin Creek, a pair of paranormal investigators got called into Ruin Creek. Their adventures were fraught with mystery and danger, and the ending was spectacularly creepy.
Erin Penn
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This Anthology introduced me to some new authors I have since hunted down to read their full-length work, plus reminded me of a lot of favorites.

In book appearance order, story titles and authors are:
Abishag Mary by Frances Rowat
Frank and Earnest
Hope Sloper
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, i-like-it
Let me begin by saying, I am irrevocably in love with the weird west. This genre absolutely hits a sweet spot for me, and it's heartbreaking that more people aren't spinning tales within this bountiful genre. This anthology offers twelve short stories about the full-on spectacular weird west. But of course, like any anthology, I had my favorites; Ruin Creek by Gail Z. Martin and Larry N. Martin, Rattler by R. S. Belcher, Son of the Devil by Jonathan Maberry, Mungo Snead's Last Stand by Robert E. ...more
Darrell Grizzle
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A few of the stories in this anthology of Weird Westerns are clunkers, but overall most of them are very good. Two exceptionally good ones are “Son of the Devil” by Jonathan Maberry (a horror story that haunted me for days after I read it) and “From Parts Unknown” by James R. Tuck (truly a “Weird Tale” in the best sense of that phrase; I hope we see more stories featuring Truett McCall). Those two novelettes alone are well worth the price of the book, but there are also great stories by R. S. Be ...more
Jay
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars overall, individual stories vary -- This is an interesting collection of stories to introduce yourself to the genre and/or to give yourself a taste of some authors you might not know. Overall, I liked it, but as with most anthologies of short stories that I've read, it's hard for me to be completely thrilled by it.

Take that last statement with a grain of salt though. Fair warning: I'm not a short-story junkie. They just aren't long enough to give me what I crave with any sort of consi
Alysa H.
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a great collection of stories, even though not all readers will like all entries. It's just thematically That Good. All set in the Old West, or some fantastical versions thereof, they share many trappings of the genre, and variously add all sorts of supernatural creatures or occurrences. A small handful tie in with their respective authors' other work, but it's not necessary to have read that work beforehand.

Among the completely stand-alone tales, many feel like they could be part of lar
Ron
Take 17 authors, plop them down and have them write short stories. The only requirement is that the tale needs to be a Western. And thus was born The Weird Wild West anthology. There are horror westerns, a alien landing in the Old West, magic in the Old West and plenty of interesting stories. So if you hanker to ride alongside your favorite fantasy creature in the old west, read this volume and you might be in luck! Happy reading!
Kathy Heare Watts
I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it a local library.
Alexandra Christian
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I'm an author and I wanted to read a lot of weird west before I wrote one. So I picked this up and I have to tell ya-- it's a fantastic variety of authors and gives a great overview of the genre. I would highly recommend it!
Barbara
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
A mixed bag anthology, some good, some so so, and some questionable. On the whole it was worth reading for at least the Faith Hunter, Gail Z Martin, Ken Schrader, Scott Hungerford stories, to name a few of my favorites.
Scott wachter
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Like any anthology, here's a mixed bag. The theme of 'a western, but with an genre element to make it weird' provides a pretty broad a array of stories for a reader to latch on to.
There aren't any true stinkers in the volume, but there's plenty of middle of the road fare. Lots of just we are cowboys who also hunt monster with bonus steampunk. The best one was a piece about two bandits who pick up a job finding a lost cat only to discover a mad scientist trying to use static electricity to power
Joe Slavinsky
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very worthwhile read.
Melissa Davis
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eighteen Sixty (Jane Yellowrock #0.3)
Cynthia A Harries
Cool stories

Love reading and stories of the Wild West fantastic read. Will look for other stories. If that particular type. Loved it.
Julie Bozza
I enjoyed this anthology very much, with only a few small reservations. Overall, the quality of the writing and editing is excellent, and there are some very funky illustrations included for some (most?) stories. I understand this is the result of a crowdfunding campaign, and perhaps that is the reason why it feels as if the project had a great deal of time, thought and effort put into it.

One of my small reservations is that in a few (very few) stories, I wasn't entirely sure I understood what
CF NAYZ
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
first good review night for motorcycling on the Troy dorchester suprise If there was a physcian on the howard hughes lot if his name was once the GNR Ill need to Know if a fellow visits that passed on within 4 months ago Sound of a LImp in him the meal TexAS OUTPOST OF CHICKEN AND GRAVY WAS FOUIND WITH REGARD TO HIS SAFETY IF TRUE THE DATE IN THE 1990 OR VERY LATE 1980S GOT TOLET OUT SOME MAYBE ALL OF THE BIG CATS TO HAVE AN OUTDOOR STEAK BARBECUE WITH PACKED LUNCHES TUNA FISH PEANUT BUTTER AND ...more
Ruth E
Oct 26, 2019
Michelle Hoare
Jun 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • Lawless Lands: Tales from the Weird Frontier
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Dead Man's Hand: An Anthology of the Weird West
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Rock Chick: A Girl and Her Music: The Jazz & Pop Writings 1968 - 1971
  • Water Witch
  • Sleight of Hand (Bite Back, #1)
  • The James Miracle
  • Saving Jace (Fada Shapeshifters, #4)
  • Sons of Darkness (Night Vigil)
  • The Final Recollections of Charles Dickens
  • Semi-Psychic Life (Glimmer Lake, #2)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Easy Pickings (Walker Papers, #7.6; Jane Yellowrock, #3.1)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Hunter Hunted (Lizzie Grace, #3)
I have always been a voracious reader. My parents encouraged my love of books, a gift more valuable to me than anything else they could have given me. It was no surprise to anyone when I began writing. I dabbled with short stories for years, even publishing a few in small press magazines, until I found and joined a writing critique group, and tried my hand at writing novels. When I'm not writing, ...more

News & Interviews