Start by marking “Black Dog Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Black Dog Short Stories

Black Dog Short Stories

(Black Dog)

Natividad is delighted when the Master of Dimilioc gives her permission to go Christmas shopping in a real town, since she definitely needs to find gifts for her brothers. But did Grayson have to assign Keziah to go with her?

Étienne Lumondiere has annoyed Miguel once too often, throwing his weight around and belittling ordinary humans. But Miguel’s going to fix that. He ju
Published April 7th 2015 by Anara Publishing (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Black Dog Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Dog Short Stories

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
A strong 3 stars, for readers of this series. Full review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

This set of four short stories is an interlude in Rachel Neumeier’s BLACK DOG universe, where werewolves ― more properly known in this world as black dogs ― are adjusting to a world where humans are now aware of them, after an interspecies war that wiped out the world’s vampires and decimated many of the black dog packs. To the black dogs’ dismay, destroying the vampires also destroyed a type of mental
Beth
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Black Dog Short Stories is entertaining to start, with an immediately recognizable short story narrated by Natividad (earnestness! and italics!) and it grows in intensity as the stories progress. And so it's the later stories I found more powerful, and I mostly want to talk about the last one, but before I get there: it's interesting that Keziah's nationality is stressed so much - she's referred to as Saudi on quite a few occasions - but her attitude toward getting Amira a Christmas present is s ...more
Andrea
It's rare that I enjoy werewolf stories, but the Black Dog world continues to be highly interesting. Four short stories in this volume, set between book 1 and 2 (one flashback). I liked Natividad's story the most. I did wonder, in Miguel's story, whether the Master knew that he was being bullied and just expected him to put up with it for six months? But liked the solution.

There's an excerpt for the next book at the end, but I avoid excerpts like the plague. Whole books for me. :)
Matthew Galloway
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been great revisiting the characters from Black Dog and I've enjoyed the stories immensely. This is one of those collections where I finish the first story and think, "That was a lot of fun." Then I read the next and think, "Oh! That was even better. It's going to be my favorite in here," but then I read the next and that one becomes my favorite... So, you know, a great progression of excellence.

I also loved the Black Dog genetics essay afterwards. I remember a decent bit of my genetics in
Kristen
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This collection contains four short stories, three set between Black Dog and Pure Magic and one set before both books. There is also an essay on genetics in general and one on how genetics impact the world.

The stories were enjoyable, but the only one that really stuck with me was the prequel. However, I did appreciate the collection more after I'd read all the stories and was able to reflect on all of them, particularly how they did work together to characterize Grayson.

Full Review: http://www.f
Meredith Allady
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Chachic
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
An nice set of short stories with most of them set in between Black Dog and Pure Magic, one occurs before the first book. I liked all of these stories because it gives readers a better picture of the characters, especially Ezekiel and Grayson. There's more depth to them in how they fulfill their roles within Dimilioc. I also liked that one of the stories was from Miguel's POV since we didn't get that in the first book. Looking forward to seeing more of everyone in Pure Magic!
MB (What she read)
A very nice supplement to the Black Dog saga. I'm so looking forward to the next book now!
Mouselet
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Black Dog
Recommended to Mouselet by: Rachel Neumeier
I really appreciate Rachel Neumeier's intention of inserting a collection of short stories between each full length Black Dog novel. The stories range from lighthearted to as intense as anything you'll find in the book, but because of the shorter material, it's not as heavy a read overall. Most of the stories take place in the weeks and months following the first book, allowing readers to check in on some of their favorite characters and see how they're doing after the climax. The last of the fo ...more
scarlettraces
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Black Dog books feel kinda Japanese, in a not-at-all-typical-subject-matter way - Neumeier is clearly having fun & writing whatever the heck she wants. It makes reading them fun as well. The short stories (both sets) in particular show off her facility with tone, which is even more apparent if you read her more serious adult & YA works, which don't read like each other at all. (She's compared to completely different writers in the sales pitches as well.) I'm always impressed by write ...more
stacy goff
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

I really enjoyed the short stories. They were well written and interesting. I especially liked the insight they gave into the current relationships between the main characters.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’m not going to begin with my usual “I don’t like short stories because reasons” disclaimer, because I really don’t think I applies here

This is an excellent short book with three separate stories in it. They’re all very compact, relatively simple stories but, above all to me, every last one of them is really useful and even necessary to the broader plot.

The first story, Christmas Shopping, addresses one of my underlying concerns of the story – the relationship between Keziah and Natividad. Thes
Saruuh Kelsey
Christmas Shopping ((4.5 stars))

I LOVED this. A really cute insight to Natividad and Keziah's friendship, and I hope we definitely see more of these ladies interacting. This story even had a big chunk of action, which made it even more fun.

Library Work ((3 stars))

I thought when this began it was going to be a romance with Miguel and Ettienne, which would have been really interesting, actually, considering they can't stand each other. Instead it was with a pretty sweet moon bound shifter girl. It
Aelvana
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Natividad wants to go Christmas shopping, but not with Keziah.

Miguel plots how he can rid Dimilioc of the black dog who thinks humans are mere servants.

Thaddeus and Grayson are on a mission to clean up strays, but Thaddeus hits an unexpected crisis of conscience.

Ezekiel has been the executioner for Thos for years, but what happens when Thos gives an order he doesn't want to obey?

The first three of these four short stories are a direct followup to the events of Black Dog, where the last one is
Jo Oehrlein
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 short stories set in the same world and with the same characters as the book Black Dog.
3 occur after Black Dog and 1 occurs before Black Dog.

I like how they help fill in some depth to the backstories of the various characters. The one prequel really features Ezekiel and it makes me like him even more -- he's young, he's not thinking, but once someone points it out to him, he does stop and think and make the right decision.
Julia
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little stories to whet the appetite, I can't wait for PURE MAGIC!
Roxanna
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute, half tedious and the other half was good backstory to two characters.
TyraelsWings
Mar 28, 2019
Sarahz
Oct 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rachel Neumeier started writing fiction to relax when she was a graduate student and needed a hobby unrelated to her research. Prior to selling her first fantasy novel, she had published only a few articles in venues such as The American Journal of Botany. However, finding that her interests did not lie in research, Rachel left academia and began to let her hobbies take over her life instead.

She n

Black Dog (3 books)
  • Black Dog (Black Dog, #1)
  • Pure Magic (Black Dog, #2)
  • Shadow Twin (Black Dog #3)