Jump to ratings and reviews

The Nameless City #1

The Nameless City

The City has many names... and no name.

Built on an ancient mountain pass, the City is forever being invaded by one nation or another, and every new master gives it a new name. But for the natives, their home is the Nameless City, and those who try to name it are forever outsiders.

Dreamy, sheltered Kaidu is one such outsider. He's a Dao born and bred — a son of the latest nation to occupy the Nameless City. Cynical, street-smart Rat is a native, and at first she hates Kai for everything he stands for. But Kai's love of his new home may be the one thing that can unite these two unlikely friends. And they will need to stand together at all costs...

...because the fate of the Nameless City rests in their hands.

232 pages, Paperback

First published April 5, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Faith Erin Hicks

67 books1,436 followers
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely hot summers, she migrated east, and now lives beside the other ocean in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She worked in animation for a bit, and now draws comics full time. She’s not sure how that happened either.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
282 (3%)
1 star
205 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 903 reviews
Profile Image for Maggie Stiefvater.
Author 63 books167k followers
May 31, 2016
This middle-grade graphic novel is a series beginning in all the satisfying ways and none of the frustrating ones.

Hicks takes her time setting up multiple characters and drawing the world (literally), showing us how many alleyways she could have turned down but didn't, hinting at the stories she might have told but hasn't yet. By staying the course on Kaidu's budding friendship with a girl from another part of the city, Hicks keeps the story cohesive and suitably intimate. There were three things that struck me the most: 1) I read this with Thing 1, who is 11, and both she and I were very pleased with the parkour-visuals of Kaidu learning to run over rooftops. 2) There's a monkish tower centering both the city and the book, and as a sucker for hermit-mythology-magic-people-hiding-in-trees-towers-cars-whatnot-tropes, I'm keen to learn more about it as well (luckily for me, I think, as the second one is called The Stone Tower). 3) This entire volume gently touches on the words we use for each other and for ourselves, and I think it offers kids a hard-to-teach lesson in a way they can effortlessly digest.

Will be tuning in for the next.

Profile Image for emma.
1,788 reviews43.1k followers
April 17, 2020
The most important thing I have to say about this book, and essentially the only thing, is that reminds me of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

(And in the interest of full discretion, I don’t know whether this comparison would have come to me on my own, because it first occurred to me after I read a blurb the co-creator of Avatar wrote for it.)

(But still.)

I am not a Normal Person who grew up watching Avatar, or otherwise watched it when they were in the target demographic of the show. Au contraire.

Instead, I watched it for the first time a few years ago, through a process called “A Boy I Was Dating-ish Told Me To Watch It And Back Then I Actually Did That Sort Of Thing.”

(No more. All it took was one man telling me to watch Rick & Morty for me to tell the following four men that I would not by any means watch that show.)

But anyway. All of this is to say that my soft spot for Avatar, and my missing of it, is relatively fresh.

So reading this was a joy.

It was not very action-packed, and felt very first-book-in-a-series - lots of world-building and setup and foundations for character and relationship arcs.

But I had a feeling things would get more fun.

(Spoiler alert: I was right.)

Bottom line: If you need a quick read and have an affection for Avatar, pick this series up! Your reading challenge and nostalgia will thank you.

-----------

did i impulse buy this whole series because i want graphic novels to help with my reading challenge, or did i impulse buy this whole series because it was on Book Outlet?

you decide.

(it was both.)
Profile Image for Dave Schaafsma.
Author 6 books31.2k followers
June 22, 2017
6/22/17 Reread for my YA GN/Comics class and of many we have read so far, this is one of the very favorites, about which I am very pleased, since I agree with them. Some folks felt this could use a bit more backstory, so are hoping for a bit of that, with maybe a little more work on characterization, but they all love the strong political themes, tying it from the historical fantasy Renaissance to today's refugee crisis. And everyone loves the artwork! Some of the best work we have read so far!!

5/17/17 I am a fan of Faith Erin Hicks and have been since I first read what seemed to me her memoirish novel, Friends Without Boys. The War at Ellsmere is another one that feels intimate like that, personal. Those are the kinds of books I typically like. She's also done some other children's graphic novels stuff I haven't liked quite as well. But I really loved her snarky/quirky/sweet The Adventures of Superhero Girl, and this, The Nameless City looked to me like The First Great Ambitious Work Hicks would have done. So I was excited to see it.

The Nameless City is indeed pretty darned good work, especially if you are, as I am, a Hicks fan. It's the first volume of a trilogy, historical fantasy, maybe directed particularly to younger audiences. My 9-11 year olds read it through and liked it a lot, and are right ready for volume two. Me, too.

The city in question is nameless because whoever has conquered it has always named it, so it has had a lot of different names, so now none. Ultimately something is brewing in the story that suggests a coalition of factions may join together to name it, but we have two volumes to see if that is the case. The naming, Hicks would seem to suggest, can't just be the most brutal and powerful, as has almost always been the case in naming stuff, historically; ideally it would be groups of people working together across socio-economic lines. Get Together, People!

Evidence for that nudge to bringing people together is that the two main characters, Kaidu and Rat, occupy Romeo and Juliet opposite territories, but just might through their actions help to bring about a coalition of peace-making and stability that war has not established. This is Hicks's central political theme, in a world clearly not able to do this, in the middle east, in. . . well, almost nowhere on the planet. In Hicks's world social and economic inequity have been operative, too. How is it so many cultures come to this city? Political unrest, displacement, forced immigration.

Okay, it's not an original theme, exactly, been in the world of kid comics it has some political depth and complexity, and in the process we get to know Kaidu's cool coalition-building kinda Dad, we get to like Kaidu's commitment to books over fighting, we get to like the pretty solid characterizations of gentle and good Kaidu and Rat, and the development of their relationship. We also get to see the best artwork Hicks has yet done, pretty cartoony and manga-inspired, with the strong lines of a growing master. Maybe inspired a bit (this may be just me) by the scope and historical and moral vision of Gene Yang's Boxers and Saints, but also with a touch of the swashbuckling action figures of The Last Airbender.

The action in The Nameless City has this broader scope. I like memoir more than action comics, but let me give this one credit for being entertaining and ambitious: The action involves an assassination attempt, the development of a young fighting corps and lots of Rat and Kaidu breathlessly running and jumping rooftops (there's ultimately purposes for all this movement), and the artwork for all of this movement is great! Especially since there are political themes that it gets at in the process.

Is this Hicks's Great Canadian Novel for Young People? Well, I dunno, maybe that doesn't matter, but I'll put my money on her to come through. The art is terrific and the characters are cool. Features a strong (minority) kickass girl character, once again, after Superhero Girl, Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan, others. Go Rat! Go Kaidu!
Profile Image for Mir.
4,781 reviews4,987 followers
May 23, 2017
This is not Lovecraft's Nameless City. Missed opportunity, author!
It's not even nameless, more many-named, which is really the opposite in my opinion, but I agree does not make as catchy a title.

For the length and the potential if the setting, I felt this was pretty slight as the story went, and did not bring anything particularly original plot or character-wise. However, it was pleasant and enjoyable as far as it went.

It was not indicated when I read it as being part of a series. Now knowing that it is I might be willing to get the second volume. It was a fast, painless read.
Profile Image for Sesana.
5,013 reviews348 followers
December 8, 2015
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

This is quite different from anything I've read by Hicks before. She's also done contemporary stories with female protagonists, and The Nameless City is set in a vaguely Asian (maybe Chinese inspired?) fictional city with a male viewpoint character. Like I said, different, so I didn't really know what to expect. But I've really liked everything of hers that I've ever read, and this was absolutely no exception.

The title city is nameless to the inhabitants, named only by the many conquerors who cycle through. Currently, those rulers are the Dao, who generally treat the natives of the city as subhuman. The story is about the slowly growing friendship between Kaidu, a Dao boy who's come to the city for military training, and Rat, a girl who's native to the city. That's the bones of the story, but what Hicks builds around it is really engaging. Partly because Kaidu and Rat bond as she teaches him parkour and he sneaks her food. And the characters themselves are very likable, Kaidu instantly and Rat a little more gradually so.

The art feels a bit rougher than I'm used to from Hicks. No less good, of course, and it feels more like a stylistic choice than a lack of effort. Not sure if it's my favorite of her art, but I do like it.

This is apparently going to be a series, which is good. I got really interested in this world, and there are some intentionally unanswered questions left at the end. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this.
Profile Image for First Second Books.
560 reviews540 followers
Shelved as 'first-second-publications'
June 13, 2016
We love Faith Erin Hicks' wonderful graphic novel The Nameless City!

When creating this book, Faith was inspired by classic fantasy adventure stories for kids, like the ones by Lloyd Alexander and Susan Cooper and Ursula K. LeGuin. We think it's great that with this new trilogy, there are going to be more of these kinds of stories for kids in graphic novel form!

Yay that!
Profile Image for Liz Janet.
581 reviews381 followers
May 8, 2018
Hicks wrote a comic that left me with quite a few questions before, her Friends With Boys. That comic gave me a small taste of what she was capable of, howeer, it did not leave me wanting more of her, this one however, has me hooked and the story is only on its first volume.

The story takes place in a city known by many names. Every person has a different name for it, as every time it is conquered (and that happens a lot) the name is changed. But there have been 30 years of a so called “peace”, even if the citizens of the city themselves are not at peace. The current rulers are a group called Dao, and they keep a distance form the people born on the city. Kaidu is Dao, and Rat is a native, together they string a friendship that will hopefully lead to better relations between their people, or more damage might come to the long-standing city. Intrigued yet? You should, because this delivers more in such a small volume than recent novels have done in hundreds of pages.

I was unaware that this was going to be a series, assuming it would be a one-volume graphic novel, yet I am so intrigued by the prospect of such a city that I cannot wait to read the remaining of the series, which is yet to be released. The whole mythos behind the Nameless City gives me H.P. Lovecraft vibes, which could only spurred me to want to know more. The book is a whole metaphor on minorities and colonies, and what certain conquerors can do to further alienate the people they rule, rebellion is never far behind. Quite a good story to analyze.

I recommend that even if her previous works have not been appealing, this could be the one that draws you in. Plus, it has Jodie Bellaire doing the colours, which is bound to be great.
Profile Image for Lata.
3,445 reviews180 followers
December 16, 2017
Well-written with vibrant illustrations. And some quiet but effective questions raised about respect for those outside one’s group. This is the start of a story of a land that’s been invaded countless times and has gone through so many names that its conquered residents prefer no name for their city.
Kaidu and Rat, one Dao (the latest invaders), one a resident of the city, become friends despite the resentment between their people. The two goad each other to race across the city roofs, which becomes a way to cement their friendship. The two kids are great characters and I want to know what else happens next in the Nameless City.
Profile Image for Sara the Librarian.
731 reviews305 followers
April 28, 2016
Okay I know I said I was done with these but I just saw Faith Erin Hicks speak at an event and she seemed so sweet and is clearly so hugely grateful and humbled by her success and her many fans and frankly anything called The Nameless City that she told us was a fantasy project of hers she'd been wanting to write all her life gives me pause. It just sounds cool doesn't it? So I reasoned "maybe this is her book, maybe this is what she's really meant to have been writing!"

Also I was feeling really, really bad about my negative reviews and felt like I owed her the $12 they were charging. I didn't ask for an autograph though (primarily because I was afraid she'd recognize my name).

Even the cover looks neato. We've got a sort of Roman looking tomboy flying across an Asian looking rooftop being pursued by a comical looking Asianish kid and its all very high energy like they're on a huge mission. And the title sounds so cool! I'm such a sucker for anything with an ancient feel to it. Like has the city been around so long that no one remembers who built it or what it was called? Is it one of those things where they have to discover what some ancient artifact means or if someone is like an ancestor of an ancient ruler? Lots of super neat possibilities!

I was absolutely 100% ready to hike up the big reviewer pants and admit I'd been very wrong about Ms. Hicks when all of the sudden this turned out to be a very, very blah story that has already been told about a million times.

Why is the city "nameless" do you ask? Well its really not, its just been conquered so many times by different people because its like really valuable as a trading port so the conquerors keep renaming it. I don't think that counts as "nameless" but I'm guessing "the city that gets re-named a lot even thought the locals still call it by its original name" probably wouldn't have tested well.

So right! Trading routes! Awesome. There's nothing quite like trade disputes and land rights issues to get an exciting story going...*cough*Star Wars Episode 1 *cough*

So the city has been controlled by the "Daos" for the last 30 years. For some reason 30 years is like the cap on how long anyone has maintained control of the city which seems a bit weird especially when we see that the Dao are pretty cool. No one is overtaxing the locals or beating people up. Yeah there's some obvious distrust and occasional name calling of the locals but the Dao are a far cry from war mongering tyrants. In fact the current ruler is a really wise dude who takes advice, wants to see the country prosper for everyone and believes in democracy.

So what's the problem you ask?

I....don't really know? The story centers around Kaidu, a Dao who's traveled to the city to train as a warrior and meet his father for the first time and Rat, an urchin (who I desperately hope has a better name in her future) who lives with wise old monks because that is the only kind of monk there is. Its the typical opposites attract, girl from the wrong side of the tracks, fish out of water, girl is stronger and more capable than the dumb boy kind of thing. Kaidu isn't really cut out to be a warrior and he doesn't get why everyone is so mean to the locals and Rat is your average dirty street kid with trust issues and snarky dialogue.

They learn about a plot to kill the Dao leader, learn to trust each other, race against time...blah blah blah...

Seriously there's nothing new here and that's a real shame. The only conflict is centered on Kaidu and Rat becoming friends and that seems like more or less a forgone conclusion from page one so you're not exactly wondering what will happen.

There was just no sense of adventure or excitement here! Because the story is so caught up in social issues we don't spend any time in the city itself. We don't learn anything about it other than that people fight over it. Everything has a sort of vague Asian feel but there's no depth to anything. I never felt fully immersed in the world.

And while there are apparently two more issues to come for this I honestly don't get where its going. Are we getting two more volumes where they work on a democratic system of government that allows the locals a voice? Cause that doesn't sound super exciting.

I really wanted to like this but there's just nothing here.

Profile Image for Matt Quann.
607 reviews375 followers
August 7, 2016
An enthusiastic 5 stars for this all-ages graphic novel!

It's funny how books find their way to you. A lot of my books I pick up after checking out reviews, either here on GR or on other sites, or through a glowing real life recommendation. But there's always that book that the quirky used book store owner swears by, or the novel whose cover draws you in to a store as you walk across the street, or the book read by a character on a TV show or movie you love. The Nameless City came to me in a way that no other book has come to me: through a video game.

Indeed, during the Epilogue of the super-fun, cinematic romp Uncharted 4: Thief's End, The Nameless City makes an appearance. It is an interesting appearance too. As you explore a character's room, you have the opportunity to pick up things off of her shelves, or you can just boot on to the series' final cut-scene. So, I picked up this book during my exploration and it was met with the emphatic "This is awesome!"

So, I thought, why not?

Turns out, it was a great choice. Though I was initially worried about the cartoon-y art style that I don't normally go for, it grew on me over the course of the graphic novel. Hicks has a great eye for motion through panel use, and the titular city is adorned in minute details that truly bring the world to life. This is targeted at a younger audience, I'd say YA is probably the most appropriate label to affix, though I rarely read YA novels, so I may be off the mark. Even so, I thought there was a lot to enjoy here as a mature reader. The story is not exceedingly complex, but it is told well, and there's a lot to be said for strong execution of a concept.

The story: Kaidu moves to the Nameless City to meet his father. The city is nameless because it is so frequently conquered that no name sticks long enough to matter to the population within. Kaidu is to be educated in the ways of combat, but soon encounters a girl his age who lives on the streets of the Nameless City. An adventure ensues, and it is all pretty cute. There's death, combat, and parkour action, but Game of Thrones this is not. So, it is age appropriate for just about anybody, and I had a fair bit of fun with it. If you're into graphic novels and don't mind aging down your expectations slightly, I'd recommend it!

Note: this is the first in a series of (as far as I know) unknown length.
Profile Image for Flannery.
338 reviews
August 10, 2016
This was an interesting setup but what there is of a story could've been told in a lot less time. I feel like there were more wasted panels in this book than in most any other graphic novel I've read. Why take 3 or 4 panels to convey what you could in 1 or 2? That said, the introduction to the city, its history and inhabitants was fun and I'll definitely keep going.
Profile Image for Sara L..
262 reviews66 followers
July 28, 2021
This was beautiful.

The art was amazing and every characters' personality was spectacular. The discussions had in this book were done so flawlessly. I loved seeing the division between the Dao and The Named people because it really reflected on the division we have in today's society. And although I only picked this up because Bryan Konietzko (the co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novel) read it and called it "astonishing!" I loved every second.

This series truly deserves more hype and picking this book up was an amazing decision. Now, off I go to read book 2. 🖤
Profile Image for Heidi The Reader.
1,367 reviews1,414 followers
June 20, 2016
The Nameless City sits on a port that guards the entrance of a major river to the ocean. This strategic spot has made it a point of contention for various conquering peoples since time immemorial. Kaidu's people are currently the ones in power, but, that may not be the case for long...

The Nameless City is an excellent first book in, what looks to be, a graphic novel series for middle schoolers. It suffers from what most first books in a series suffer from which is: prolonged setting of the stage and character introduction. That takes up most of the book, so that what little story there is, isn't all that engaging. But, with the audience that it's going for, that's ok.

Actually, the first few pages to The Nameless City is one of the best openings I've seen at this reading level. Here's part of the narration: "Then we asked the children who lived in the streets of the City to give us its name, and they laughed at our foolishness. But as visitors, how could we know that it is only outsiders who name the City? The City is named over and over, and no conquerors can name it for long. We move on in our journey down the great River of Lives, and behind us we leave the City of a thousand names... the City of no name... The Nameless City." pgs 5-6 Goosebumps!

I loved Kaidu, the main character, a son of the conquerors. This is his response when his father gives him a knife as an arrival present: "I... kind of like books better than knives." pg 32 A kindred spirit.

One of the messages of The Nameless City is tolerance and acceptance for other cultures. In this passage, Kaidu is learning a derogative term for the natives of the city: "Skral? What does that mean?" "You really are a loser. Skral is anyone foreign. Anyone not Dao. Anyone not a person." pg 36 It reminded me of the Greek custom of only considering citizens of Grecian city states as "people" and everyone else as barbaroi, which loosely means "all that are not Greek" and the basis of the word, barbarian. Anytime that you create an Us and Them, there's going to be problems- which is clearly illustrated in this book.

Recommended for grades 4 through 6 and beyond for any reluctant readers out there. If you're looking for more graphic novels that are appropriate for this level, try the Princeless series by Jeremy Whitley or the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic series by Kate Cook (and other authors).
Profile Image for Brian.
291 reviews116 followers
June 19, 2015
There is nothing Faith Erin Hicks creates that I don't want to immediately devour. This was no different. Thank you to Netgalley for making this one available, and thank you to First Second for approving me to read it.

The Nameless City takes place in what I believe to be China (or at least a fictional equivalent), in a city with both no name and thousands of names. It is a key city, geographically, and is therefore constantly being battled over and defended by various nations. Substitute "religiously" for "geographically," and it becomes reminiscent of Jerusalem. Every time another nation takes over the city, the new rulers give it a new name.

But then there are those who are not part of any nation, but just a part of the history of the city. To them, the city has no name -- it is just the city. These people are treated as inhuman by the ruling class. Reading this book just days after the shooting in Charleston, SC, as we once again discuss race relations in the United States, it was hard not to see the analogy to the world we live in today.

Our story is when a young man in the ruling class befriends a young girl who is one of the city inhabitants. I'm not going to tell you what happens, just know that it's brilliant, and you want to read this.

I want more. Like, now. I loved every second of this, and I am delighted to see that this will be a trilogy. There's foreshadowing both answered and unanswered in this, making use of both the artwork and the words to tell the story. I can't wait to see where Faith Erin Hicks takes us next.
Profile Image for Dov Zeller.
Author 2 books104 followers
December 28, 2016
Kaidu and Rat are an odd-couple. Kaidu is a dreamy Dao boy in combat school who left his mother in the country and traveled to the Nameless City in order to meet his father. But he would much rather be reading than fighting, which makes combat school a bit challenging. Rat is an orphan and street-wise resident of the Nameless City. The Nameless City is nameless because of its strategic geographic importance. It is constantly changing hands from one warring group to another and so, the residents, who watch their captors come and go, have named it accordingly.

In combat school Kaidu feels an outsider. He doesn't like the culture or the daily activities. But his father, who he has just met, takes him to the city, and Kaidu is fascinated. He wants to explore it and when he does, he meets Rat and they race around the city from roof-top to roof-top. It's his kind of adventure. He likes Rat and wants to help her, but sometimes he is naive about the consequences for her of being seen with a Dao.

This is a sweet and hopeful book about friendship and cooperation; power and compromise. It's fast-paced, has a bit of slapstick humor, it's emotionally tuned in with its characters. The art is wonderful. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Profile Image for Jason.
3,753 reviews26 followers
June 18, 2016
The set up is a fairly familiar one, but with a few interesting elements. The city is divided by occupied and occupier and changes hands fairly regularly among the local tribal powers. The city itself is a sort of gateway through the mountains and so essential to trade in the region. We've seen this sort of thing before. But FEH's strength has always been in her ability to create likeable, relatable characters and she seems to be getting better and better at it with each book she writes. She's clearly put a lot of effort into the art and it's interesting to see her become more and more skilled as an artist as well. FEH is one of the hardest working creators in "indie" comics today and her hard work shows in the first installment of this series.
Profile Image for Christine.
1,133 reviews13 followers
October 25, 2017
I am excited to recommend this to the students! This is a graphic novel that isn't too busy, has a great story, moves along at a fast pace, and has a good message.
Kaidu has come to the city and begins training as a Dao warrior but gains better skills by racing with his newfound friend Rat. When Rat learns of a plot to assassinate the city's leader will she betray her beloved city or warn Kaidu of the plan? Kids will enjoy this fast-paced adventure and be begging for the sequel.
Profile Image for Elizabeth A.
1,792 reviews107 followers
September 26, 2016
This graphic novel, targeted for middle grade readers, is the first in a series, and is a fun and quick read.

The story explores the notion of the conquered and the conquerors, and how they view and distrust each other. The two main characters, Rat and Kaidu, represent these groups to a certain extent, and it is fun to see how their friendship develops. I really liked that Rat is a young girl who has grit, is tough, and is shaped like a girl, not a sexy view of what society wants girls to look like. I really liked the first few pages that explain the title, and the art is fun and colorful.

I wanted a deeper exploration of the themes touched on - but then, I am much, much older than the target audience - and I do plan on recommending this one to my nieces and nephews.
Profile Image for Darth TJ.
901 reviews
July 3, 2016
WHITE PEOPLE!

White people. So even when a white writer, with no experience of what it's like to be a person of color, tries to subvert racism, they suck at it.

Here we have a comic about a two races. One race is considered less than human. The race which is "higher up" on the heirarchy are Asian, and the race considered less than human are white. This would have been interesting right? Nope. Instead of going for subversion, the author instead makes the white race fucking amazingly amazing at everything and the Asian people shitty by comparison.

The main character is so shitty he has to learn everything from a white girl, like how to jump across a a gap between buildings.

It's like how in Avatar, they tried to make it all about the alien Pocahontas, but really it was about how amazing this crippled white dude was and him saving them rather than them saving themselves.

Why not take white people out, period? Like people of color and women have had to read and watch and play shit for years and years and years and future years to come where all the characters were white men.

Why not have something that only contains women or a story where white people just don't have any part to play at all.

This comic served no purpose other than saying white people are more Asian than Asians. Nice.

(I mean just look at the cover with the Asian kid struggling to keep up with the white girl...)
Profile Image for Sarah.
991 reviews
June 6, 2016
I've been looking forward to reading this for two reasons: 1. I like Faith Erin Hicks very much 2. The good people at First Second sent me a poster of this cover which I hung on my office door my first week at work, so I've been looking at it every day for 3 months. I got the book, brought it home, and then everyone else in the house read it before me. Finally, my turn. I liked this a lot, though I'm a little bummed i have to wait for a sequel. That said, that's ok because I thought the pace of this book was really good-it didn't rush to get it all in. I thought the rooftop racing (parkour practically) scenes were drawn really well. I also liked the sort of basic philosophical laying it out there of "are the "rescuers" really such a thing, or just conquerors themselves?" My favorite bit in the whole thing was just a two panel amusing thing of overhearing two guards talking about their summer vacation plans (and, later, bemoaning the lack of leftovers from a banquet.) This was a really solid graphic novel.
Profile Image for Christina (A Reader of Fictions).
4,211 reviews1,649 followers
June 10, 2016
Bear with me on The Nameless City because I read this a month ago and, uh, it’s not very fresh. I don’t know about you guys, but I find that there are some books that stick with me and some that sort of immediately leave my head as soon as they enter, and The Nameless City was more the latter. It’s pretty cool, but it’s also very clearly targeting younger readers.

The nameless city is a cool setting and I really like the character of Rat and how badass she is. However, I felt like the story floated too high above. There’s not much detail, and you don’t get that deep into plot, world building, or characterization. I enjoy Hicks’ art and the story’s pleasant such as it is, but I don’t think I’ll be following along with the next volume.

This series should be more of a hit with younger or reluctant readers.
Profile Image for Jenna.
3,431 reviews38 followers
June 11, 2017
Beautiful illustrations and atmospheric coloring. An intriguingly designed world that discusses many pertinent aspects of our own. Characters that you just can't help but worry for and the only negative that I felt while reading was that I didn't get to know the main cast of Rat and Kai as I'd have liked. But, luckily, it's a series. YAY. Would definitely recommend this to those who enjoyed Avatar, especially Gene Luen Yang's graphic novel continuations.
Profile Image for Mike.
1,455 reviews130 followers
April 23, 2018
Meh. Couldn’t get into it, but that’s more about me in my comics-ennui phase than about this book.
Profile Image for Natalie.
2,345 reviews53 followers
July 27, 2019
This was such a cute graphic novel with a message. The art was absolutely gorgeous. Faith Erin Hicks is so talented! I read her graphic novel of The Last of Us and really enjoyed that, so when this book was a little Easter egg in Uncharted 4 I obviously had to check it out.

**read for book scavenger hunt - a book chosen for you by someone else (after he saw the Easter egg in game, looked it up and told me about it)**
802 reviews7 followers
November 7, 2017
I've never read a bad Graphic Novel from First Second... they're very underrated as a publisher, IMO. This one one the surface is a Romeo and Juliet type set up, with a little Aladdin mixed in and a vivid, far eastern setting, but there's actually a whole lot more than that going on.

Great all ages book that can be read and enjoyed by anyone... can't way to get the conclusion!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 903 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.