Start by marking “The Only Pirate at the Party” as Want to Read:
The Only Pirate at the Party

The Only Pirate at the Party

Electronic and dancing violinist Lindsey Stirling shares her unconventional journey in an inspiring memoir filled with the energy, persistence, and humor that have helped her successfully pursue a passion outside the box.

A classically trained musician gone rogue, Lindsey Stirling is the epitome of independent, millennial-defined success: after being voted off the set of Am
Published January 12th 2016 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Only Pirate at the Party, please sign up.
Ron Pratt All kids, parents, and families are different, but I can say I read this with my 11 year old daughter and we both enjoyed it very much. There are a…moreAll kids, parents, and families are different, but I can say I read this with my 11 year old daughter and we both enjoyed it very much. There are a couple of mildly adult themes we paused to talk about as we read, but they are pretty mild and that opportunity to talk is part of what I liked about the book.
(less)
Brandon Baggett I would check your local library. If they don't have it, ask the librarian about their lending system (you might be waitlisted, but it is worth it)

Lola
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Lindsey's voice imitations hurt my ears, and her childhood stories made me roll my eyes, but this is undeniably insightful and honest. I especially enjoyed hearing her talk about how she developed her creative ideas.

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

If you've been following me for a while, you know that I've tried several memoirs by YouTube celebrities and did not like any of them. If you haven't been following me for a while, you're probably rolling your eyes a little and thinking, "Then why are you reading this, huh? Didn't you learn your lesson the last three times?" In response to this question: 1) No. And 2) What's a lesson?

I've actually been listening to Lindsey's music for only
vic (indefinite hiatus)
i love how we get some humor in the book but also get some bittersweet feelings.
overall rating: 4.9/5

reread on may 3, 2017

i'll just put this out there- i'm a lindsey stirling fan, yes. am i a total fangirl and enthusiast? no. but i tried not to get my opinions on her to muddle up with my feelings on the book.

“Life is kind, and full of great moments, but I think the greatest moment of my life is always ahead of me. When I reach it, there will be another, greater moment to come.”

i don't usually
Mahlon
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Lindsey Stirling is a dancing electronic violinist who first came to national attention as a result of her appearances on America's Got Talent. I remember thinking that she was incredibly talented, and I was shocked like everyone else when she was eliminated. This was all I knew about her before I picked up this book. I wouldn't have even call myself a fan of her music simply because I don't want to take anything away from her hard-core Stirlingites. Then why did I pick up the book you may ask? ...more
Bethany
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
My favorite musician is now going to be one of my favorite authors! YAY!!

Correction: My favorite musician is NOW one of my favorite authors. YAY!!
I'm not a big fan of biographies/autobiographies, but this one is fantastic. It's amazing how Lindsey has been able to work her way to the top without losing herself along the way. I applaud you Ms. Stirling and I look forward to seeing you continue your journey.
P.S. As a violinist and a dancer, this girl is my role model. I hope that one day, I will b
Erica
Am I the only one who thought, "Willow plays violin?" upon first-ever seeing Lindsey Stirling?

I'm going to tell you, straight up, that if you're turned off by upbeat Pollyanna-ism and stormclouds that have the sparkliest of silver linings, you're probably not going to enjoy this biography. If those things don't bother you, though, and if you enjoy reading about people's lives, especially about spunky musicians, I strongly recommend this!

In full cattiness, I can't say that I know whether or not t
Mikayla
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in one evening (I'm telling you, library duedates do wonders for reading). I'm honestly not quite what I expected, but a laugh-out-loud-then-almost-cry kind of book was not it. I loved Lindsey's light writing style, though she was unafraid to talk abut deeper things.
I loved the honesty displyed in this book, and how she talked honestly about her faith, without being pushy. Her abition to be modest dispite Hollywood's constant push that she be otherwise is really cool.
Her dedication
R.F. Gammon
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Stirling fans, music fans, America's got Talent alumni
I am a huge Lindsey Stirling fan, although I only discovered her a couple of weeks ago. I read this book in one sitting and it was AMAZING. The strength within her is so amazing. She is so counter-cultural, so different from so many people. She overcame her eating disorder, took overwhelming criticism on America's Got Talent and from many other people, and survived the loss and gain of friends and siblings, and she is an incredibly strong young woman. I can honestly say that I want to be like Li ...more
Adrianna [SypherLily]
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Lindsey Stirling is a dancing violinist who brings joy and positivity wherever she goes. She's extremely talented, and a breath of fresh air when it comes to celebrities, even if she's not of that status yet. She's utterly humble, thoughtful of others, and always trying her best to stay grounded and stick to her morals and religious beliefs.

While I'm not Mormon, I can truly respect the lengths she goes to to make sure she's surrounded by those who follow her rules (such as no drinking/drugs/sex
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've loved Lindsey's music, but I appreciate it a lot more after reading her book. I found myself learning from her, and by the end she felt like a friend. In the unfortunate and tragic event that I would ever become famous, I hope I would be as indifferent and unaffected by it as Lindsey is. Her normalcy is refreshing. (Also, her book made me feel less like I'm the only pirate at the party.)
Classics Lover
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
"Asking a working writer what he (or she) thinks about critics is like asking a lamp-post what it thinks about dogs." Christopher Hampton - British playwright

I, however, shall invoke the wisdom found in the old Chinese Proverb: "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Some have asked:"What could possibly motivate Lindsey Stirling to write a memoir at the ripe old age of 29?"

As I read her book (co-written by the lovely and talented Brooke S. Passey) I discovered several
Hunter
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a little biased but I am a stirlingite by heart, I'm sorry. But it's true, which is why when I saw this book at the store, I immediately picked it up, Lindsey and her sister both write this book in such a way, that Lindsey is basically talking to you. I also listened to Lindsey's albums when I was reading this to get in depth with her music. I got to understand my hero on a more human level, since sometimes we picture our heroes as gods.

Lindsey takes us on a journey through her personal st
Taryn Pierson
I snapped up an audio version of this book because I've long been a fan of electric violinist Lindsey Stirling's music videos on YouTube. If you're not familiar with her particular brand of art, picture a tiny redhead dancing around like a pixie in exotic locales, all while furiously bowing a stringed instrument—and sometimes dressed up as a video game character.

(Can I just take a moment to say how much I love the way the internet has opened up avenues for people a touch outside the mainstream?
Anna
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I should start by saying that I am not a Lindsey Stirling fan, I know about her more from Dancing with the Stars than from her music, but the popsugar challenge required that I read a book written by a musician and I thought I would try this as she is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (as I am) so I did not think there would be content that would make me uncomfortable (I was right about this). But, this turned out to be much more fun than I thought, Lindsey has a deligh ...more
Amber
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-library
This was a pretty good read about Lindsey Stirling's childhood up until she grew up, did America's Got Talent, started up a YouTube channel and became the accomplished dancing instrumentalist everyone knows her as now. If you want to read more of this book, check this book out at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Lorien
Wow, I can't believe I basically read this in 2 sittings!

This is an autobiography of Lindsey Stirling's life, the life of someone rejected time and again, facing heartache and demons, and ultimately how she made it on YouTube. But it feels so much more.

As a fellow LDS girl who feels like a fish out of water, and who battles mental illness everyday (one that really does feel incurable and is much more unstable, trust me), this was beyond inspiring. Lindsey broke all the rules except for the ones
Madeline J. Rose
Initial Response
...Lindsey is awesome.

Lindsey is not afraid to be herself. In fact, it’s her confidence and individuality that have propelled her into the spotlight. But the road hasn’t been easy. After being rejected by talent scouts, music reps, and eventually national television, Lindsey forged her own path, step by step. Here, for the first time, she shares every triumph and trial she has faced until now. Beginning in a humble yet charmed childhood, this book follows Lindsey through a hum
Melanie
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I'm not the biggest fan of autobiographies. In fact, I usually tend to avoid them. But I also really like Lindsey Stirling's songs and her optimistic attitude overall, so even I was surprised to see myself anxiously expecting for the audiobook to be released (specially considering that Lindsey herself narrated the book).

I keep my statement that I'm still not the biggest fan of autobiographies, but this book... was actually refreshing. I know Lindsey's voice from her interviews (and her YouTube v
Niamh
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A mostly fun light and easy read about one of my favourite musicians. Lindsey has always come across as fun-loving and eccentric, and she proved it in the pages of this book.
Rod
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A 5 star literary autobiographical masterpiece? Not a chance. But so much fun and heartfelt experiences. I adore this YouTube violinist extraordinaire. Go watch her videos. Amazing. Especially her "Beauty and the Beast" remake and Fountain Pirate Dance. I like her Western Gunslinger/Violin Slinger Steam Punk dance off video. Go watch it now!

Lindsey is still pretty young, but her life is worth hearing about up to this point. She's had a million adventures and crazy dreams come true. It would be e
John of Canada
I don't remember when I first heard about Lindsey,but I went on you-tube and watched several of her videos,including her being knocked off Americas got talent.Her messages to her fans were really refreshing.I loved the book!She is funny,honest,and just plain loveable.The way she responded to the criticism of Piers Morgan and Sharon Osborne was brave and remarkably restrained.If anyone is looking for a GREAT motivational book,this is it.The writing was exceptional,both personable and funny.Six ji ...more
E.F.B.
Note: I listened to this on audio, so pardon any misspellings.

I adored this autobiography by my favorite violinist, Lindsey Stirling! Some of the things she talked about I had picked up via watching her online and on TV, but there was much I did not know about her, as well as things I did know, but learned much more about while reading this.

I admit being just a tad nervous going into this book. Lindsey, at least based on what I knew about her from her videos and seeing her on Dancing with the
Christine
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was just amazing overall, hands down (and Im not just saying this because Im a big Lindsey Stirling fan in general, I mean I totally am, but thats not why I loved this book; more like only a small part of why I loved this book to be more exact) I also should mention this is the first memoir Ive ever read as well. Brooke does an amazing job with her writing skills and making everything run smoothly from chapter to chapter. She knows her subject (Lindsey aka her sister) very well, so wel ...more
Strona po stronie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Polski poniżej] Let's start with saying that I'm a fan of Lindsey Stirling :). I've been for a really long while. Her first works weren't always good, especially at the beginning, but I've admired her energy, creativity and just not giving up. And her music is so alive! It's an instant pick-me-up :).

This book was written by Lindsey and her sister. It really makes readers feel closer to her. It starts with her happy, warm childhood in a close-knit, mormon family. Yeah, I know - it sounds unique
Liz
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first picked this book up, I didn't even know who Lindsey Stirling was. I had to ask my friends if they knew who she was, and then do a little internet searching of my own as well. So why did I buy this book in the first place? Goodreads suggested it, so I thought, "sure, why not."

I had zero expectations going into this when I cracked the book open but for some unknown reason I felt excited to start reading it. Maybe it's the thrill of getting to know someone you know nothing about and li
Mom
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this book. I found out about Lindsey Stirling in a roundabout way, just a short viewing of one of her YouTube videos. I was amazed at her talent. So much so that I immediately bought her album. Reading about her in this book has helped me appreciate her even more. I hope she can stay strong and stand by her convictions and realize her dreams. She truly is a treasure.
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey, you're my hero.
Anniken Haga
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, audiobook, 2017
Listened to as an audiobook

So I've been a fan of Lindsey Stirling's music for years now! Strangely enough, I've been on the fence about her book since it came out, though. But I've listened to or read memoirs and been surprised, even gained more respect for the writer, and thought I'd give this a go.

Unfortunately, this book made me loose respect for Stirling instead of it growing.

This is a collection of childhood memories and thoughts, as well as a look into how she got the career she did.
The
HMSA Summer Reading: Spoilers: The Only Pirate at the Party 2 9 Aug 18, 2016 09:34PM
Universal Geek Bo...: The Only Pirate at the Party 2 14 Apr 27, 2016 07:10PM
Universal Geek Bo...: The Role of Religion 1 21 Apr 26, 2016 02:18PM
  • Grace Happens Here: You Are Standing Where Grace is Happening
  • Saints and Social Justice: A Guide to the Changing World
  • Raven's Gate: The Graphic Novel (The Power of Five: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • More Than the Tattooed Mormon
  • Bruce Springsteen and the Promise of Rock 'n' Roll
  • Sinner's Creed
  • The Girl with the Crooked Nose: A Tale of Murder, Obsession, and Forensic Artistry
  • Keep Moving: And Other Truths About Living Well Longer
  • Bitten: True Medical Stories of Bites and Stings
  • The Gospel at 30,000 Feet
  • Superzelda: The Graphic Life of Zelda Fitzgerald
  • Faeries' Landing, Volume 1
  • Mechanism of Mind
  • Outside the Jukebox: How I Turned My Vintage Music Obsession Into My Dream Gig
  • Blessed, Blessed ... Blessed: The Untold Story of Our Family's Fight to Love Hard, Stay Strong, and Keep the Faith When Life Can't Be Fixed
  • Queens of Noise: The Real Story of the Runaways
  • Bringing in Finn: An Extraordinary Surrogacy Story
  • To the Stars
There is no-one else like Lindsey Stirling. We are talking about a classically-trained violinist, from Gilbert, Arizona, entering a futuristic world of big beats and animation – imagine Vanessa Mae leaping through the pages of a Manga comic with Skrillex in hot pursuit. Her song ‘Crystallize’ was the eighth most-viewed video on Youtube last year...
“Maybe my best isn't as good as someone else's, but for a lot of people, my best is enough. Most importantly, for me it's enough.” 28 likes
“I make art for the sake of art . . . and for my own selfish gratification, because I’m an artistic monster.” 21 likes