Start by marking “The Complete Infidel's Guide to ISIS” as Want to Read:
The Complete Infidel's Guide to ISIS

The Complete Infidel's Guide to ISIS

ISIS rocketed onto the world stage seemingly out of nowhere, beheading American hostages, bulldozing international borders, routing the American-trained Iraqi army, and carving out a new state that rules eight million people and a territory larger than the United Kingdom.

But who are they?

Where did ISIS come from, and how did they rise to power in so little time?

What
Published August 24th 2015 by Regnery Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Infidel's Guide to ISIS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Infidel's Guide to ISIS

Dave
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a hard book to objectively review. If you know anything about author Robert Spencer, you are most likely going to agree with him most of the time or discount everything he has to say. To briefly quote his current Wikipedia bio, "Spencer co-founded Stop Islamization of America (SIOA) and the Freedom Defense Initiative (FDI) with Pamela Geller in 2010. Both organizations are designated as hate groups by the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center." He also "...co-authore ...more
Rama
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ISIS: The rise of global Islamic caliphate

Robert Spencer is a great scholar of Islam and he has been educating the people over Islamic ideologies such as sharia law, jihad, fatwa, jizya (a capitation tax levied on non-Muslims), beheadings of infidels, death for apostasy, intolerance to other faiths and culture by quoting the verses from Quran and Hadith. This book documents the rise of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and the dangers it poses to the rest of the world. The author prese
ANDREW SETTLE
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have to explain:

Picked this up because of the great title. Flicked through and realised it would be a quick read, which it was. I'm no expert on the subject (who really is?) and I though this would be a good book to start from. Within a few pages it was clear the author had an agenda, there is no analysis of competing hypothesis or counter argument and the side-bars are clearly politically biased.

That said, the incentive to now find more informed and detailed analysis of the subject is greater
David
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for understanding what the free world is up against from the Islamic State (ISIS) and the ideology driving their advance on the west.
Alexander
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is directed along the goal of convincing the reader that the Islamic State - and other groups nations have classified as 'terror groups' are rooted in Islam, and that they are bad along with it's root idealogy. With that in mind the book is mainly two approaches, that of neocon narrative, and that of a history book - with the writers own view of the history inserted in. Granted this should be known if you're familiar with the authors work prior such as his website -jihadwatch.

I origina
Melinda
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really interesting read. I guess the topic is controversial and some would say that this author is an Islamophobe? To be fair, the writing was probably not as balanced as it could have been, but I think he put his facts together in a way that was easy for the lay person to understand. Gave me quite a broad perspective (especially the historical context) for this issue. I always enjoy learning new things and I think that this book certainly ticked that box. I am keen to read more about this top ...more
Mel Foster
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
To say anything about this book will offend someone, I am sure. At the risk of that. . .

First, I must say that my rating is somewhat arbitrary here, as the approach and layout are just not my style. I want my nonfiction to be orderly and straightforward in layout. No highlight boxes. No tangential anecdotes in sidebars.
More importantly, I also prefer authors with a slightly more measured tone. I felt that the weakest place in this respect was Spencer's apparent dismissal of contemporary Wester
Kirk Mahoney
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Spencer is to the history of Islam and Islamic State as Michael Medved is to U.S. history.
Ted Henkle
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-events
I've been meaning to post a review of this book on Goodreads for a couple weeks now, especially now that France and other European countries are attempting to round-up the terrorists that launched a "Mumbai-style" attack on Paris this past Friday.

Here's what I posted elsewhere on-line:

I don't read too many non-fiction works because the books I normally read are sci-fi/fantasy and historical novels. Basically, events that take place outside our world or current time. In my job at Washington State
Edward Babb
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice synopsis of the inner workings and genesis of Muslim extremism groups like ISIS.

It was hard to put this book down once I started. Amazingly well annotated and researched. I am truly amazed at how easily misled and brainwashed people can be by religious zealots preying on social outcasts in society, who then turn them to evil in the name of their "god". I definitely recommend this book.
Ailith Twinning
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
I'm kinda interested in googling this guy. . .hold on. . . *dies laughing*

Dude, I'm not even gonna bother with my review. Fuck this stupid shithead. Downside to reading whatever random audiobooks are currently uploaded -- you read a lot of stupid shit. (actually, I've done pretty good picking my books if you check my read books, just judging books by their titles, but still)
Vetri
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not that it as anything to do with Islam
This book is somewhat clear in saying that it is just the nature of Islam to do what Isis did and will continue to do so.
Vladimir Chupakhin
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, politics
Interesting facts, but rather borring storyline.
Todd Wilhelm
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Spencer does a great job of demonstrating that ISIS is not a perversion of Islam, but in fact is in line with the historical actions of the religion and is sanctioned by the Qur'an and numerous hadiths.

We buy into the Western leader's assurances that ISIS is an aberration, not representative of Islam and in fact a small percentage of crazed fanatics who are not really Muslims at our own peril.

"Whatever one believes of Christian or Muslim eschatology, that Judgment Day is coming— because the Isla
Brett Stortroen
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Robert Spencer. The origins of ISIS and Al Qaida were very detailed and educational. Many current event citations from 2014-2015 give this work relevancy for today. I especially enjoyed chapter 6 (The Caliphate: What it means and why it matters). Spencer gives many quotes from ISIS leaders depicting their motivations for an Islamic state and plans for world conquest. ISIS based laws are rooted in Islam's own historical roots and plainly laid out, chapter by chapter, with we ...more
Andrea
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Immensely accessible. The somewhat snarky subheadings (e.g. How to Win Friends and Massacre People) shouldn't fool you; the book is thoroughly documented and the author thoroughly familiar w/ his subject. If you want to know the answers to questions like: Where did ISIS come from? Who are its leaders? Who are its enemies? What are its goals? Is the Islamic State Islamic? Why is it so brutal and bloodthirsty? What does it mean that it calls itself a caliphate? How are we trying to defeat it? Is i ...more
Howard Granger
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Islam has to be emasculated

One of the few voices of reason in the West, Robert Spencer fearlessly details how we are losing the war against the lunacy and depravity of Islamic State. In fact, he makes a cogent case for regarding regular, everyday Islam as a degenerate ideology that inspires hatred for all non-Muslims. His solution has been successfully implemented before, when rabid nationalistic Shinto was neutered after the defeat of Japan in 1945. Everyone in the free world needs to read this
Larry Koester
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read a number of such books. In this one I read only the last chapter about the author's solution to the problem. It is no solution. I think "Inside Islam" is the better solution. This books solution makes us looke like only another form of supremacist hatred. His solution seems to translate to "kill them all." Making it look like the west has the higher moral ground. Atheistic materialist humanism is not proving that point.
Ciprian-Marius Bujor
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tb spus de la început ca autorul este desemnat de unii ca fiind islamofob. Însă cartea este bine documentată, are o bibliografie impresionantă si este o lectură instructivă asupra unui subiect incomod și foarte puțin înțeles în Occident. Nu-i împărtășesc toate concluziile, dar merită măcar citite.
John Rhoads
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timely reading

Spencer's words couldn't be more timely than today ,with over 50 american bodies in. Orlando awaiting identification. Face it, we are all infidels in jihadist eyes, anyone that doesn't subscribe to Islamic jihad. Its an older book but we'll worth the read.
David
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative book...

This book provides an excellent introduction to the ideology of war and subjugation that drives ISIS. At its core is Islam, which Mr. Spencer makes very clear throughout the book.
Vagabond of Letters
  • Street-Fighting Years: An Autobiography of the Sixties
  • Evil Psychopaths
  • Engels: A Very Short Introduction
  • Russia: A History
  • Left of Boom: How a Young CIA Case Officer Penetrated the Taliban and Al-Qaeda
  • Near and Distant Neighbors: A New History of Soviet Intelligence
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama
  • Extreme Evil - Taking Crime to the Next Level (True Crime)
  • The Dream and the Tomb: A History of the Crusades
  • Dark History of the Tudors
  • Swastika Nation: Fritz Kuhn and the Rise and Fall of the German-American Bund
  • Citizen Emperor: Napoleon in Power
ROBERT SPENCER is the director of Jihad Watch, a program of the David Horowitz Freedom Center, and the author of seventeen books, including the New York Times bestsellers The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades) and The Truth About Muhammad. His latest book is The Complete Infidel’s Guide to Free Speech (and Its Enemies). Coming in November 2017 is Confessions of an Islamophobe ...more
“We love death more than you love life.' This is civilization's ultimate challenge. Will the lovers of death and destruction overwhelm and defeat those who love life and have created great civilizations that celebrate human creativity and achievement? Will all that is left of three thousand years of human civilization be reduced to rubble and a mindless religio-ideological lockstep?
The Islamic State is not just a challenge to Judeo-Christian Western civilization. It is a challenge to civilization itself--to the very idea of civilization.
And that is why it is doomed to fail. Life will always conquer death in the end. The human spirit will always prevail against the forces that would subjugate and enslave it.”
1 likes
“December 2014, ISIS issued a list of rules for Christians living in the Islamic State’s de facto capital of Raqqa, Syria. Those who dare disobey risk calling down on themselves the full force of the Islamic State’s brutal enforcement mechanisms—as inhabitants of that tortured city are well aware, accustomed as they have become to public beheadings and crucifixions; the torture of women who are found insufficiently covered or breastfeeding in public; and the stoning of homosexuals (if, that is, they survive being thrown from rooftops). In the ISIS rules, Christians are forbidden to worship in public and to build or repair churches. They are not allowed to pray where Muslims can hear them, to display the cross, or to ring bells. They are not allowed to prevent anyone from converting to Islam. They must not aid the Islamic State’s enemies.” 0 likes