Start by marking “Introducing Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide” as Want to Read:
Introducing Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide

Introducing Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide

Epigenetics is the most exciting field in biology today, developing our understanding of how and why we inherit certain traits, develop diseases and age, and evolve as a species.

This non-fiction comic book introduces us to genetics, cell biology and the fascinating science of epigenetics, which is rapidly filling in the gaps in our knowledge, allowing us to make huge adva
Published February 2nd 2017 by Icon Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Epigenetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Epigenetics

Start your review of Introducing Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide
Amanda--A Scientist Reads
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This little book packs a lot of information into a tiny little package. Because it is educational in nature and a rather dense topic, it's not going to be a book you can lose yourself into and fly through quickly, particularly if you don't have a strong biology background. That being said, it does have a nice flow, and demonstrates concepts with the use of visual graphic aides (this is not a graphic novel, but more an illustrated guide). The illustrations are simple and are intended help to demo ...more
Sara
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
It feels strange to rate a reference guide. It was helpful. So there.
Sara Dahabović
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book always makes me happy! 6/5 stars <3

It's so nerdy. I love it!
Paul Ataua
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have been interested in epigenetics for a couple of years now, and was surprised to see a graphic guide called 'Introducing Epigenetics', so I thought I’d give it a try. I found it pretty dry. The first 20% was spent defining terms, and the graphics weren’t particularly helpful. Even pretty much a layman, I got a lot more out of the might be so-called difficult books like Jablonka, Lamb, and Zeligowski’s excellent ‘Evolution in Four Dimensions’, or Nessa Carey’s ‘The Epigenetic Revolution’. St ...more
Sara
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Epigenetics is a very exciting yet difficult field. The author does a great job keeping the topic rigorous despite the format. Some concepts, particularly the editing bits, were enhanced by the images.

Some of the gene regulation pieces were challenging and she does refer throughout the book so you will need to pay attention or follow her hyperlinks.

I thought the topics she chose made coherent sense and the book had a good flow to it. This is a useful way to dissect a hard topic esp if you're n
Jason Furman
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
As someone that knew relatively about the topic, this was a good introduction to epigenetics. It is, however, very dense, does not provide much context, and while about 20% of the pictures are useful the other 80% are mostly silly distractions. That said, it starts from all of the basic definitions, is comprehensive in covering the biology, evolutionary aspects, diseases, etc. And seems very balances in eschewing the hype that often surrounds this topic. But it did not seem like an easy introduc ...more
Ashlie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-expansion
Excellent book to get a heads up in the realm of epigenetics.
Johanna
A very insightful, and detailed, introduction to the science of epigenetics. Although some of the concepts and phraseology might be challenging at times for the average layperson, there are some great analogies and accompanying graphics (with a healthy dose of humor to drive the point home) throughout the book to help clarify some of the more tricky concepts.

I was extremely disappointed, however, to find a lack of consistency in scientific objectivity. Since the bulk of the book had been spent i
Rob Caswell
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked up this book as a primer to the study of epigenetics. I chose it because a) it seemed to be presented at a novice/introductory level, and b) because of its recent publication date, which hopefully means it's information is up to date.

While I'm scientifically literate, chemistry is one of my weaker study areas - and genetics is really all about chemistry. So I found the book challenging, but not incomprehensible. I could understand the "hows", as explained, but my lack of robust chemica
M
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basic Biology & Genetics Recommended

I read this book at the request of a friend who is curious about epigenetics and hoped the promised graphics would help her visualize and better understand the science. Her last exposure to biology was over 20 years ago, during freshman year at university.
The “graphics” in this book are nothing like graphics in most science-related books—and certainly not similar to presentations in science textbooks—and therefore are NOT AT ALL helpful in understanding epige
Beth
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really informative! It's been many years since I took a genetics class and at that time, epigenetics was a relatively new field and not something that was taught in your average intro to genetics class, so it was really nice to have a book that clearly explained what epigenetics is - and why we should be excited about it!

Full disclosure: I am friends with the author, but my opinion on the book is genuine!
Tony
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heady but fascinating!

I found this intro to epigenetics to be interesting. The illustrations that accompany the text helps elucidate some rather complex science. And while the field is relatively new, I did not realize so much has already been done researching the epigenome. Not an easy book, but well worth the effort.
Isabella
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, science
I used this book for an extra-curricular research project involving epigenetics and cancer treatment; I couldn't have asked for more. All the background history and genetics was extremely useful to build a foundation of knowledge.
Concise but highly detailed information. The pictures really helped me visualize the more challenging aspects of the topic.
Charlotte Monk
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction

Great introduction into the field of epigenetics.
Certainly doesn’t answer many questions on the subject but the topic itself cannot answer the questions yet....science has to catch up!
Jack Jacobson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the facts

A good introduction to the field of epigenetics. Clearly written with sometimes amusing pics. If you wish to know what epigenetics is and isn't, this is a good place to start
Alberto Hoyos
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introducido Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide (Introduction)

It’s a good book. Many graphics helps the reader to better understanding the concepts.
For readers with out medical or biology background is a challenging book
Alan
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could say I comprehended the material. I can't say I did. My study of the subject is basically from high school biology in the 60s. Going to get a more foundational study and come back to this one again. 4 stars for a very good presentation in my layman opinion.
Biogeek
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as graphic as I would have hoped, but clear text provides a good introduction to the topic.
Thomas Liuksiala
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Passable pulp nonfiction
Basel Shaaban
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I can highly recommended it for people how want to start working with Epigenetics. However, if you don't have any biological background you can't follow this book.
L.
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the layperson

Not an introduction.
Way too many new concepts and vocabulary thrown out all at once.
Also the illustrations are lame.

Benjamin Fowler
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has funny cartoons and does a good job of introducing the topic. It quickly advances into difficult concept. Overall, I'm glad I read it because I'm curious about this burgeoning field.
Chloe Hickman
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I totally understood the book and was written in a good way. Helped me understand better than when I was at uni.
Ryan Hoyle
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to the field including historical findings. Requires basic biology and genetics knowledge.
Dana Robinson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice overview, especially if you have a bio background. Might be over the heads of readers with no background in genetics, though.
Karlos Callens

• Introducing Sociology: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Economics: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Particle Physics: A Graphic Guide
Cath Ennis grew up in York and trained in genetics at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne (BSc) and the Cancer Research UK Beatson Laboratories at the University of Glasgow (PhD). She moved to Vancouver to conduct postdoctoral research on human genome evolution, and now works as an epigenetics knowledge translation specialist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.

Cath has be