Start by marking “Lost Among the Living” as Want to Read:
Lost Among the Living

Lost Among the Living

England, 1921. Three years after her husband, Alex, disappeared, shot down over Germany, Jo Manders still mourns his loss. Working as a paid companion to Alex's wealthy, condescending aunt, Dottie Forsyth, Jo travels to the family’s estate in the Sussex countryside. But there is much she never knew about her husband’s origins…and the revelation of a mysterious death in the ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Lost Among the Living, please sign up.
C. It is correctly categorized as the much-wanted "adult paranormal mystery"! Adding romance does not remove its place in the paranomral mystery genre.…moreIt is correctly categorized as the much-wanted "adult paranormal mystery"! Adding romance does not remove its place in the paranomral mystery genre. Simone St. James fulfills the need of serious, non-cozy and non-horror, paranormal quests for adults.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cath
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Romantic suspense was just kicked up a notch in my book. When I was asked to do this review, I thought it was just another historical fiction romance with a twist of suspense. I could not have been more wrong. This book is a fabulous combination of so many genres. It is truly one that romance lovers will enjoy along with suspense and mystery lovers too. There is plenty of historical influence and so much more!

An engrossing read, this book has surprises at every chapter, it seemed. Loaded with em
Jaya
It's 3:30 am at my part of the world right now. Am wide awake because I couldn't possibly put this book down and sleep. Finished it in one sitting. Yes, it was that good
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
England, 1921. Jo Manders husband Alex, was shot down over Germany three years before and disappeared. In need of money to support her and her sick mother did Jo agree to be a paid companion to Alex wealthy albeit condescending aunt Dottie Forsyth. Now they are returning home to England, to the Forsyth family's estate in the Sussex countryside. Jo has never visited the place before and she realizes there that she doesn't know much about her husband's origin, and there seem to be a something with ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I love it when a book can take me by surprise and before I know it, I'm completely immersed inside the pages.

Lost Among the Living was the perfect blend of genres. Historic with a slight touch of the paranormal and a dash of swoon worthy romance, it truly was a winner in its category.

With the right amount of mystery, creepiness, and a romance that left you longing for more, this book surprised me with how captivating it became as the story got darker and the lies and secrets thicker.

One that
Sheila
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosts, read-in-2017
3.5 stars--somewhere between "liked" and "really liked."

If you want to read an English ghost story set during wartime (either WWI or WWII or immediately before, between, or after), Simone St. James is who you should read! She writes romantic ghost stories that will also appeal to readers of historical fiction. They're usually a bit too dark to be "cozy," but they're definitely a nice mix of suspense and romance.

In this one, the ghost was only part of the plot. I would have given this 4 stars, bu
Holly
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I love Simone’s writing, so I knew this wouldn’t disappoint me. Everything about her books I love.
Linda
Starting out slowly, Lost Among the Living introduced the young, widowed Jo Manders. It was 1921 and she was responsible for her mother who had been committed to an asylum. It had also been three years since she lost her husband, Alex, during The Great War but his body was never recovered. Told with flashbacks, she loved her husband deeply.

Now 26 years old with few skills to recommend her, she worked as a companion for her husband's Aunt Dottie. The name was fitting because Dottie was a moody w
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Another great story by St. James! I would say this is my second favorite book of hers; the first being The Haunting of Maddy Clare. I listened to the audio of this and it was wonderful. She really knows how to evoke an eerie atmosphere. Her descriptions of Frances and Princer's 'appearances' were just chilling. I was starting to think they were real myself. : )
Carolyn
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-james-simone
I have enjoyed each book I have read by Simone St. James beginning with the Haunting of Maddy Clare. They have all been thought provoking, emotional thrillers. The characters, in some way or another, were all dealing with the aftermath of having survived and come home from WWI. It was a time period I have never read about and found tragic and moving as a backdrop. There are all excellent books. This book, "Lost Among the Living," is my favorite one to date. In this story, a widow left behind to ...more
Katherine
”Ghosts, I thought. I am living with ghosts.”

I’ll say it now and I’ll say it again; Simone St. James is the Victoria Holt of our generation. She never fails to deliver deliciously Gothic romance novels that both exhilarate and frighten the reader. Her haunting scenes are some of the scariest scenes I’ve ever read, and her heroines, though living in the past are thoroughly modern. I will read absolutely anything this woman writes, and you should too.
✨Susan✨
I enjoyed the characters in this book, they were interesting, believable and pulled all four corners together to make this ghost story come to life. A young woman, Jo, is taken in as a companion by her husband's Aunt after he has been reported missing in the war. They establish a love hate relationship that helps them build trust that both of them desperately need at this time in their lives. After extended travel to different countries collecting art they end up at the family mansion that has n ...more
G.
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5

One’s mother went mad, and one’s husband leaped from a plane into thin air, and one simply got on with it.

It's 1921, WWI is over and the world might be slowly moving on, but for Jo Manders life is bleak. After losing her husband right before the end of the war, she's left with an institutionalized mother that doesn't remember her most of the time and the drudgery of a life as a paid companion for her late husband's aunt.

After an art buying trip through the recovering continent, Jo and her h
Barb
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I've read all of Simone St. James's novels and my opinions vary depending on the book. There are things she does very well; creates realistic characters, gives vivid descriptions of time and place, shows the reader what the characters are seeing and feeling and does a wonderful job making ghosts believable. All of these skills pull me into her stories. But then she unravels all of that hard work by having her characters behave in ways that make no sense. In this story something unexpected happen ...more
Natalia
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Simone St James!
Quirkyreader
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful story. I like how St. James in bringing the modern Gothic novel kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

St. James has lovely descriptive writing that allows you to visualize what is happening in the story as you read it. I am looking forward to reading her other stories.
Molly O'keefe
Jun 16, 2015 marked it as to-read
I can't wait for this book - every single one of Simone's books is an amazing read!!
Cheryl
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nidofito
I can't even.

I can't even with this book. I can't even with this author.

A little slow to start with a mostly predictable storyline, but beautifully written and wonderfully narrated, St. James continues to impress me with her masterful storytelling in the genre of gothic romance and paranormal mystery.

If you liked The Haunting of Maddy Clare, you will really enjoy this as the feel and setup of this book is similar versus Silence from the Dead.

I would love for her to write a male MC book or have
Andree
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I actually read this about three times in the past few weeks. I loved this. Might buy it, now that my library copy has expired. Stupid library copy expiring...

This is my favourite of these books. I'm still apparently super into the ghost stories. IDK. It worked for me. It really worked for me. Definitely connected to all of the characters in this. I just really enjoyed this one.

(view spoiler)
Ashley
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Somewhat flawed but engaging mystery. Skillful prose. Would read more by this author.
Rachael
Mar 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrid. Skimmed the last 2/3. Really, just terrible writing, terrible plot and character development. Ugh. The fact that writing like this gets published kind of makes me mad. Sorry so harsh.
Heidi
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Four stars: An engaging historical read with a murder mystery and a touch of paranormal.

Jo packs her trunk for the last time, headed back to England after a summer tour of Europe as a paid companion for her husband's aunt. Jo is uneasy about heading back to England, as she has too many painful memories of London. It has been three years since her husband, Alex, disappeared over the German countryside in his plane. There was no further trace of him. With the war now over, Jo is trying to put the
Jaclyn

Originally reviewed at The Book Adventures.

I’ve been a long-time fan of Simone St. James and I longingly await each new book. I will admit that I struggled a bit with the first half of the book, but there is a turning point in Lost Among the Living and when I reached that there was no way I was putting the book down. If you read it, you will no exactly which event I am referring to.

Jo Manders is a young widow still mourning the loss of her husband, Alex, three years after his disappearance durin
The Lit Bitch
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
After finishing two of Simone St James novels in less than a week, I was thrilled when this one came into the library and was waiting patiently in the holds section for me to pick up.

I had read a lot of great reviews for this book and was eager to see what kind of ghost and romance this story would hold. It sounded a little different than The Haunting of Maddy Clare but still within the same wheelhouse of that style, so I was intrigued.

So the last line in the description of the book, basically g
Camille Viva
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book simply proves that Simone St. James is a master of both the Mystery and Romance genres.

The Mystery was perfectly crafted. There were enough suspects that I had some idea where the story was going, but didn't fully piece it together until close to the end. And at the end, all of the characters and their motivations made perfect sense.

I'm not usually a fan of the Romance genre, but I was surprised at how much I connected with the heroine, Jo Manders, and her relationship. Her character
Valerie Best
This is the third novel I've read by Simone St. James. I have loved the other two so, so much, and, when I started this one, I wasn't sure where it would land for me. It's got a grim start--I mean, they all do. St. James likes to start her characters in a broken place. That's constant. And this one, like The Haunting of Maddie Clare, takes place in the tense silence following WWI. It's an interesting time, historically, because, looking back we know that it wasn't so much a time of peace as a br ...more
Libby
This is the second novel by Simone St. James that I’ve had the pleasure of reading. The first was The Broken Girl. It was interesting to find some of the same plot elements, an old house with a history in this novel and an old school in ‘The Broken Girls.’ Both buildings are haunted; St. James delves into the world of the paranormal to create tension and heighten suspense. It worked for me in both novels, but my familiarity with it as an element of suspense peculiar to St. James’s writing cause ...more
Marylou
A highly atmospheric mystery.

We are in England after the First World War: Joanna, our protagonist, finds herself facing an uncertain future. Her husband, Alex, is missing and presumed dead. She has no family, no money and no job. Alex's aunt Dottie, hires Jo as her companion and personal assistant. But when Jo moves in with her boss to Alex's old house, strange things begin to happen... and I don't want to add more as it might spoil the plot.

It took me a bit to get into the story and although it
Debbie
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great ghost story that kept me up way past my bedtime. There were also other plot twists going on including a murder with many suspects. A woman who thinks her husband is dead for three years who is the assistant for her husband's aunt. The aunt who is an eccentric woman with lots of secrets. Her husband who is not a very happy man. Her son who is recovering from the war, a morphine addict with bomb fragments still in his body. They are all staying in a house where the mad teenage daughter com ...more
Jennifer Garnick
Apr 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was given an Advanced Reader copy of this book by firsttoread.com. This book is advertised as suspense but it didn't feel very suspenseful. It felt like a story I have read a million times before. The supernatural aspects were lackluster. Jo Manders was a one dimensional, depressing main character with no spine. At times I almost wanted to smack her and tell her to stop being a silly little twit. The anticipated twists and turns were not very surprising at all.

The whole book was pretty predict
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 6 Aug 28, 2015 04:16PM

• By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • Soulbound (Dark Arts, #3)
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • The Marigold Chain
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • The Lumatere Chronicles (Lumatere Chronicles, #1-3)
  • With This Curse
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition Rebellion, #1)
  • Enemy's Queen (The Aermian Feuds, #3)
  • The Fire Seer (Coalition Of Mages, #1)
  • The White Song (Chronicles of the Black Gate #5)
  • The Autumn Fairy (The Autumn Fairy, #1)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
  • When We Were Kings (The Wolf of Oberhame, #1)
  • The Sorcerer's Wife (The Telepath and the Sorcerer #2)
  • Murder on Black Friday (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #4)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
  • Imperial Scandal
Simone St. James is the award-winning author of The Broken Girls and The Haunting of Maddy Clare, which won two RITA awards from Romance Writers of America and an Arthur Ellis Award from Crime Writers of Canada. She wrote her first ghost story, about a haunted library, when she was in high school, and spent twenty years behind the scenes in the television business before leaving to write full-time ...more