Start by marking “Night Owls” as Want to Read:
Night Owls

Night Owls

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  11,792 Ratings  ·  1,578 Reviews
Feeling alive is always worth the risk.

Meeting Jack on the Owl—San Francisco's night bus—turns Beatrix's world upside down. Jack is charming, wildly attractive...and possibly one of San Francisco's most notorious graffiti artists.

But Jack is hiding a piece of himself. On midnight rides and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who this enigmatic boy really is.
Paperback, UK edition, 272 pages
Published August 13th 2015 by Simon and Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about Night Owls, please sign up.
Sarah Night Owls is the title it was published under in the UK, it was published as The Anatomical Shape of a Heart in the US and Canada :)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
What, exactly, is the anatomical shape of a heart? I can tell you. It's a bloodied splat on the floor, with gory little pieces of bodily tissue everywhere because that's what it looks like after I've stomped on the figurative heart within this book for 10 minutes after having read it.

Do you like manie pixie dream girls? For those who don't know what those are, here's a good definition taken from Wikipedia.
"that bubbly, shallow cinematic creature that exists solely in the fevered imaginations o
Emily May
“Those dark eyelashes should be illegal.”

I know why many people like this book, I really do. It's the same reason I kept wanting to bump my rating up as I was reading. The Anatomical Shape of a Heart (or Night Owls in the UK edition and, in my opinion, as it should have been called everywhere) is an extremely diverse book in all senses, it has a very sex-positive message and portrays sex in an open and honest way.

Politically, this book and I are on the exact same page. I like the stuff it stan
♥Rachel♥
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 Stars

If you’re looking for a swoony young adult romance The Anatomical Shape of a Heart is the book for you!

Beatrix, “Bex” Adams wants to be a medical illustrator, a highly competitive field, and is trying to win scholarship money to aid that future. After trying to get a seat in the Willed Bodies program of her local hospital she misses the train home and must take the late Owl bus where she meets Jack. Their chemistry is immediate and mutual:

His gaze lifted and met mine. We stared at eac
Jaime Arkin
I’m going to say it right now, The Anatomical Shape of a Heart is going to be on my top ten book list at the end of the year.

From the moment I read the summary of this book I knew I was going to love it and love it I did. When I turned the last page, I wanted to read it all over again.

Jenn Bennett is a new to me author, even though she’s not by any means a new author. This is her first YA title and I’m so, so happy she’s jumped in this genre.

The story here revolves around Beatrix or Bex as we
C.G. Drews
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well this book is a little paint splotch of adorableness and calamity. It's about art. ART, PEOPLES. I'm a sucker for arty books, especially Evil Art books (please, do not doubt my terms, how dare you) like graffiti and I'm-arting-even-though-my-parents-don't-believe-in-how-I-like-to-art. I'm uber passionate about art, so I just wanted to squish this book into a painty cuddle. Plus the characters! The writing! THE DEAD BODIES!!

Okay, okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start out calmly.

The
Warda
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful and heartfelt story about art and love!
Sana
i have five more pages to read till this finishes, but d n f because I,,,,, god, I can't find that fuck I was gonna give,,,,hmmm where did I put it now??
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, contemporary
4.5*
This was a really great unique love story! I really really enjoyed it!!!
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!

"Feeling alive is always a risk."

41e6f7c389480b464c513eb772b09f38

Wow. Gorgeous cover. Stunning story. Incredible writing. This isn't your average YA Contemporary Romance. I admit that Jenn Bennett is a name that I haven't heard of when it comes to YA. But after reading this novel, her name is one I'll never forget and and I'll forever stalk.

TASoaH sucked me in from the very start. Theres something so magical in the first chapter of this book that made me stick around until I read the last page. Well, that magical feeli
sreeja
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I've heard a great deal good about this book but i ended up not liking it that much. I can finish one 500 page book in a couple hours if i set my mind to it but it literally took me a gazillion days to finish this 300-page one. The beginning was cheesy and kind of insta-lovey-dovey which I really didn't like. I like fluffy and sweet YA contemporary but somehow this book just wasn't it. It kind of tried to be special with its plot which it does manage to achieve to a certain extent. But if you lo ...more
Alafiya
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 anatomical hearts.

I'm not sure how to start this review. Shall I start with “Holy smokes, this one was amazing!” or with this: you know once in a while you read a book that you don't just read, you drink it in, you sip every word, you taste every moment happening and you think "man, this is an appetizing read!" This feeling is the sortta feeling you get when you read a powerful book, which has a message that needs to be heard, a story calling you to listen, a tale of love, self-discovery a
emma
it is literally impossible to feel more whatever, more blah, more okay-sure-fine about a book than i feel about this one.

will i review it? who knows. probably not, unless you count me copy/pasting the word "eh" 1,000 times as a review.
Stacee
I loved the idea of this book and was super excited to read it.

Love love love Bex and Jack so much I almost don't have words to explain why. The two of them together were just perfection. Their conversations were filled with snark and swoons and heartfelt conversations and passion over art and I just devoured it.

I seriously think I could read these two forever.

**Huge thanks to Feiwel and Friends and NetGalley for providing the arc in exchange for an honest review**
Keertana
REALLY enjoyed Bennett's debut foray into YA. Not only is it swoon-worthy, sex-positive, and unique in its casting of hero and heroine, but it's also family-centric and impeccably well-written. Can't wait to see what else Bennett has in store for us, both Adult and YA. ;)
Tasha
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
reread May 2017: nearly two years later and this is still one of my favorite books ever.
Julie Zantopoulos
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun, super cute ya contemporary with a real emotional punch. I loved the characters, their romance, their flawed families and holy steamy kisses! Teens having safe sex, a girl who isn’t a virgin, and honestly one of my fave first kisses ever!

I did have some issues with the hiding of mental illness and the way it was treated so not a full five stars but damn close.

TW: self harm, suicidal thoughts & attempts mentioned.
Addi • Pages Within Me
My heart is so full.

This book was lovely; I read it in a day. The story centers on Beatrix Adams, a high school student that is spending the summer before her senior year drawing actual cadavers for the goal of winning an art scholarship contest. Through a twist of fate, she ends up meeting Jack Vincent who turns her world upside down with his Rockabilly style and many secrets.

I loved the depth that this book had. It was definitely character-oriented, and each character was absolutely unique. B
Stacee
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
There aren't enough stars in the sky to rate this book. I love these two like whoa and it might have been better the second time around.
Danielle (Love at First Page)
In case you didn’t know (shame on you), Jenn Bennett is one of my favorite authors. I first discovered her books a couple of years ago and have been an avid fangirl ever since. She writes romance spectacularly well and happy endings that leave me more than satisfied. When I found out that The Anatomical Shape of a Heart would be her first foray into young adult, I couldn’t have been more ecstatic. I have a huge soft spot for young adult contemporary romance, so of course I couldn’t wait to get m ...more
Emer
"Our kitchen wasn't fancy, having last been updated in an ugly 1990s shade of pale mauve, complete with fake butcher block countertops."

I am offended.

DEEPLY!!!!

This book has CALLOUSLY and WRONGLY insulted my exquisite taste by throwing shade at faux butcher block counter tops. I HAVE A FAUX BUTCHER BLOCK COUNTER TOP AND IT IS A THING OF GLORIOUS BEAUTY BRINGING WARMTH AND HEART TO MY DREAM KITCHEN!!!!!

I am a VICTIM of the inferior taste of this author.

In other less ridiculous and probably mo
Melanie
Oh my GOODNESS. I think I just melted into a puddle of feels.

RTC.
Idiotic smiling to oneself
Fits of laughter
Sleep deprivation
May invoke artistic expression
Will invoke the feels, or in medical terms, the warm and fuzzies.

Night Owls was absolutely phenomenal, adventurous, heartwarming and incredibly lovely. Previously called The Anatomical Shape of a Heart for the overseas market, it follows the story of Beatrix, determined, creative and incredibly quick witted. An artist fascinated with the huma
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, friendship, secrets, graffiti, art.

I have to admit that the start of this story was pretty mediocre, and if it hadn't been for that very rocky start this would have got a full five stars. It took until 25% for me to really warm to the story and the characters, and I was just about to give up when things started getting good. So stick with it and push through, because it is worth it.

This story is sweet and funny and slightly heart-breaking all at once.

I received a copy of this fo
✨    jamieson   ✨
more of a 3.5 rating, I really liked the romance overall and thought that was well done, and I liked the m/m side rep, but I had a few issues about kind of problematic aspects with the characters. Full review to come.
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved. It.

I’ve read all 3 of Jenna’s YA books now which makes me sad because they’re all so wonderful and I want more 😭

I will literally buy any YA book she releases 😂
Puck
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
"Earth to Beatrix. This was the night bus, not a Journey song. Two strangers were not on a midnight train going anywhere."

I’m kind of bummed that I can’t rate this book higher, but this book has a pretty big amount of insta-love seeping through its pages. To be fair, the teen romance is nicely build up and the story has a positive attitude towards sex, but after reading for the 20th time how hot Jack looked I was ready to throw this book into the dustbin.

The main characters in this book are
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I’ve been a fan of Jenn Bennett ever since her first Arcadia Bell book (which seems like a million years ago), but I never expected her to try her hand in young adult fiction. Foolish of me, I suppose. Why wouldn’t she, when she’s so good at everything else she puts her mind to writing? From the very first advanced reader’s copy that fell into a reviewer’s hand, The Anatomical Shape of a Heart (internationally titled Night Owls, which I prefer), has been getting nothing but rave reviews. And wit ...more
katwiththehat
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-2, favorites
This was just adorable. I loved the chemistry between Bex and Jack, whose cute, quirky relationship jumped off the page in every scene. They were a unique, perfect San Francisco couple of teens, and I loved the look at their complicated pasts and the way they helped each other. This is the sort of book you just can’t put down!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is romance done right. The characters actually become friends and date before they fall madly in love! Huzzah!
nick
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

anatomical

I don't know what it was about this book's synopsis, but something about it immediately captured my attention and I was dying to get my hands on a copy. Maybe it was the fact that the book has an anatomy artist. Or maybe it was the fact that it featured a graffiti artist who sounded sexy as sin. I went into The Anatomical Shape of a Heart with certain expectations and the book delivered in every way. YA contemporary fans are going to LOVE this book!

For a YA contemporary romance novel to rea
  • Song of Summer
  • Hello?
  • Rules for 50/50 Chances
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Not After Everything
  • First & Then
  • Young Widows Club
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • For the Record
  • The Lies About Truth
  • I'll Meet You There
  • Paige in Progress (Reluctant Hearts, #3)
  • The Natural History of Us (The Fine Art of Pretending, #2)
  • Play On (Lewis Creek, #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • Bright Lights, Dark Nights
  • The Tenderness of Thieves
  • The Devil You Know
Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of several young adult books, including ALEX, APPROXIMATELY and STARRY EYES. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, won the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® Award, and been included on Publishers Weekly Best Books annual list. She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two dogs. Visit he ...more
More about Jenn Bennett

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“What do I want?” His fingers brushed over loose strands of hair near my temple. “I want to call you every five minutes. I want to text you good night every night. I want to make you laugh. And I want you to look at me like you did that first night on the bus.” 35 likes
“I don’t want my mistakes to affect everyone else in the room,” I said after a moment. “I want to keep to myself and do as little damage as possible.” 21 likes