Start by marking “The Altered (Lycanaeris, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Altered (Lycanaeris, #1)

The Altered

(Lycanaeris #1)

Twenty years ago the UK’s water supply was contaminated with an experimental pathogen, Lycanaeris, causing widespread panic across the nation. Terrorism was suspected but never proven, and when nothing happened--no epidemic, no unexplained illnesses--the whole episode was written off as an elaborate hoax. But Lycanaeris was selective. Only those of a certain age, and with ...more
Published April 9th 2015 by Annabelle Jacobs

To ask other readers questions about The Altered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Altered

Sheri
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr
This is my second shifter book by Jacobs and I am pleased to say, I clearly see the growth and depth between the two books.
The first book, The Choosing, I read a few years ago left me disappointed with the superficial shifting. I have read an assortment of shifter books over the years and I prefer those with a strong link into what/why/how they shift. While I can appreciate the ease of ‘*blink* human to animal *blink*’ I crave the actual shift.
I want to know how the shift affects them.
I want
Aerin
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This book was freaking amazing! And you know what, I don't often read paranormal/dystopian books because I find them hard to lose myself in that world. But the blurb for Altered sounded so good, I was intrigued, and I decided it's worth a try. It's one of the best decisions I've made because this book rocked my world.

The pathogen that was used to contaminate the water was initially created for military purposes, and while I know it's not real, it's not a far stretch of the imagination to believe
Ariana
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3,75 stars*

This freebie fell into my lap recently, and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

The scenario and world building did tickle my fancy, and I certainly liked 'I can take care of myself' Daniel and big, strong and brooding Jordan.

They are a first generation of humans who have been altered in some way or form by a chemical that was released into the water many years before.
But while Jordan is a wolf shifter, Daniel is a seer (which means he can see who is a shifter and who isn't) which mak
Borderstar
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
DNF @ 54%
This was pretty good - interesting set-up and world and I was keen to see where the story would go. Likeable characters and I enjoyed the sample - although did worry a bit that this would be insta-love.

But I got to 54% and found myself putting it down for a bit and I'm not feeling any real need to restart it. I did try to pick it back up and read some more but by this point I felt disconnected from what was going on. I would have liked to know how things worked out but really I would ha
☙ percy ❧
a solid 4 stars!!

the world-building and development around the shifters was really interesting, quite different from other shifter books out there. the characters and relationships were also pretty realistic, and they didn't make me want to tear my hair out, which is surprising considering i don't usually like the concept of mates in paranormal fiction.

the next one is about sam and ash and i am SO READY
Lea Connor
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was an interesting way of 'shifters' being created, and also 'the seer'. The characters were beautifully written. I am looking forward to reading more from her. I only brought this on Saturday after talking to the author. I started to read it on the Tuesday morning and finished by the afternoon. I couldn't put it down.
Rachel
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5* I do love a good shifter story and this is one with a difference. Annabelle Jacobs has created another fabulous tale and I can't wait to see where this series takes us....hopefully with some Ash and Sam :)
Tami
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
M/M urban werewolf story with dystopian feel. I liked this - though it had a touch of insta-love.

The backstory and world-building was better than the actual love story.

Amy
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-them
I can't wait for the second book!! This was awesome!! I want me some Sam and Ash!!
Mónica BQ
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

Paranormal romance is one of my favourite genres because in my mind it allows me to enjoy everything I like about contemporary romance plus the things that usually make me cringe in it.

Here we have the usual insta everything: lust, love, trust, friendship, mates. You name it and it's present in this story. But contrary to what happens when I read that in contemporary, I am more than able to get behind it in paranormal novels. And I totally eat it up.

It's no secret I love shif
Kirsty Bicknell
The concept of a virus causing humans to become shapeshifters is not a new idea, but in Annabelle Jacobs' story this virus is leaked into the drinking water of ordinary people - by scientists. Twenty years after the widespread panic this caused we witness how Lycanaeris has affected certain members of the population - The Altered.
Daniel shares a flat with two friends; Ash, who is 'normal' and Matt who is part-shifter. Daniel is a "seer" who doesn't really fit into human society because of his 'g
Otterpuss
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The idea for this book is really exciting, there is so much scope for future stories and is really well written. I felt part of it, I was there in the middle of it all and I was completely immersed in the characters and plot.
The characters themselves are well thought out and executed, also extremely likeable. Their relationships are complex and develop throughout the book.
The dialogue flows and it had me hooked from the very beginning.
I also liked reading an English author who has set the boo
Kathleen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Slightly better than most mm shifter fare

Even though it had an ambitious foundation and some good bones, I thought the execution of the story was clumsy and underwhelming. It story lacked sufficient world building and character development, and the prose never pulled me in and made me want to stay.
ttg
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book surprisingly readable--surprisingly for me because I have a really low bar for paranormal/shifter stories these days. It's sometimes hard to find ones that feel fresh, you know? This one didn't break much new ground, but it had some interesting things in it.

A) It's British! So, some slang, etc.

B) Shifters (of "Altereds") were created via a chemical pathogen, changing some, but not all, and creating new ways for people to be discriminated against. (Altereds are feared for being
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Reviewed at The Blogger Girls

Decades ago a pathogen was released into UK’s water, infecting certain individual’s DNA and making them altereds, giving them abilities to shift either completely or certain parts of their body into wolves. Daniel was altered but instead of being able to shift, he’s a seer, about to look into any altered’s eyes and see their altered state. When he meets Jordan, an altered who can fully shift into a wolf, he feels an instant connection with him that scares an
Mssdare
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I had the privilege of reading this book prior to the release and I have to say it was a delight!!!

I loved Jacobs’ previous novels, not only because they are captivating and hot, but also because I'm a huge fan of fantasy, magic, magical realism and shifters and there is just NOT enough of these themes in the m/m section! Enter: Annabelle Jacobs! :)

“Altered” is a shifter story, but not a conventional one. A military experiment gone wrong combined with a terrorist attack led to water being conta
Lily
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shifters
Not having read many shifter stories before, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’m pleased to say I enjoyed it immensely. The Altered is a great read and I can highly recommend it.

The Altered is a fast-paced, well-written novel with lovable main characters. In Annabelle Jacob’s ‘altered’ version of reality, shifters, half-shifters and seers live and work among humans. They live in fear and protect their own, but attempt to blend into the crowd and avoid detection from unscrupulous people who want to
Hc
When you finish a book do you ever think, What to I say about it? I mean its kind of ...silly to just say I liked it and rate it or HATE IT, don't ya think? Sometimes the thoughts just flow and sometimes its a struggle.

Why am I saying this? Cus this one is a struggle for me. I liked the book and am going to read the next two but other than that I just don't know. I kind of would like to know a little more background about the group(s) but the base framework is fairly clear with the pathogen bein
Chris McHart
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Both Daniel and Jordan never believed in mates, but there’s a pull between them that’s way too strong to ignore. It practically forces them together. That doesn’t mean it’s easy for them. There are misunderstandings, jealousy, and close friends that don’t like strangers in their middle (and have a good reason for that).

Jason and Daniel have to overcome a lot of obstacles, on top of being hunted for what they are. They need to stand together, convince their friends that neither of them is dangero
AnnaLund
For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change my mind. See the
Sarina
This was great; I love seeing shifter stories that pull away from the norm. I thought the characters were interesting and I enjoyed all the different personalities. I did feel sorry for Daniel, though, as he truly doesn't belong to any one group. That made it mean more when Jordan was still determined to help him in spite if the risk to him and his friends, however. At least I thought so. I already have the sequel and look forward to reading more in this world, especially since we get to learn m ...more
Sam Evans
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Loved the Britishness of it too - "bollocks" and "Wanker" all make an appearance. There also aren't many shifters books set in the UK so I loved that that Annabelle based it here.

The story was original and a completely different to any shifter book Ive read before. Loved the two MC's Jordan & Daniel although Sam & Ash kinda shone too.

Can't wait for the next :)
Zee♥
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this unique shifter story. It was well written with an interesting plot that kept me engaged until the end. I loved the chemistry between Jordan and Daniel. Although they both didn’t believe in mates they just could not resist the pull to each other. Their coming together was very entertaining. The dynamics between their two groups of friends was also fun to read and I was hoping for a Sam and Ash story from the moment they met. I look forward to reading book 2.
Suki Fleet
Wow. This is a fantastic read. I cannot recommend it enough. I've wanted to read it for a while now and I was so sucked into the story I read the whole thing in almost one go.

Loved the characters. I haven't read that many shifter books and I really loved the dynamic between Jordan and Daniel. So excited to read Sam and Ash's story--if I didn't know they had a story I would have been so disappointed! ;)

Kudos!
Violetblue
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I hadn't read this author before, and this book turned out to be a fresh take on the werewolf genre, a science fiction version instead of a fantasy version. I found the book engaging and well-written, and was anxious to see what happened throughout the story. The love story also held my interest. That's a fairly unique combination in this genre, sorry to say! I'll definitely pick up her next book in the series.
Milana Tatarenko
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked it at the beginning, but further along the story i got more and more irritated with Daniel's bitchy and childish behavior.
Diane Dannenfeldt
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. I loved the different levels of shifters who are actually called alters. Daniel is a seer who can see those that are altered, and he’s a sweetheart. Jordan is a full alter and I loved his whole possessive attitude. So the bad guys, surprise surprise government entities, are hunting alters as they want to recreate the serum that changed them initially. They are out to create the perfect soldiers. Daniel is hated as the alters can basically hide what they are but not from th ...more
Terri Jones
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, it's not terrible, plus I got to read it free. But it's by far not the best shifter romance I've read, either. The reasons are several. For one, the prose is full of unnecessary words. To the point where I was skimming or I'd have had to bail. For another, denial of reality, particularly when the denial and reasons are repeated many times, gets really old. The lack of action in crisis makes me think this author doesn't watch or read much action media. The bad guy monologued. Which isn't te ...more
ItsAboutTheBook
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: whit
Review can be read at It's About The Book

I’ve never read anything by this author but I’ll be checking out her other books. This was an excellent shifter story set in a modern dystopian world post drug experiment gone wrong. Well wrong for a portion of the public. The tone set in this book kind of elevated the story for me personally. I really felt the altereds fear at being discovered. I understood their frustration at living their lives in hiding for something they have no control
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post:
Happy Happy Release Day!!! Review Request: The Altered by Annabel Jacobs

Review by: multitaskingmomma
My Rating: 4 of 5 Stars

The Altered is set in a dystopic, but present time world. The cataclysmic event having happened fifteen years ago, when a science experiment went wrong, malicious intent complicated things, and the result? Well, the alteration of the human genetic makeup.

The alterations were gradual and were easily ignored. If it were not for the government's knowing the
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Creating a Series 5 14 May 02, 2015 11:55AM

• Protector of the Alpha (Shifting Needs, #1)
  • Wolves of Black Pine  (The Wolfkin Saga #1)
  • Blood Howl (Sanguis Noctis, #1)
  • All's Fair in Mate Bonds and Publishing (Confessions of a Werewolf Editor #1)
  • He's Just Knot That Into You
  • The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
  • Winter Wolf (Axton & Leander, #1)
  • Strength of the Mate (The Tameness of the Wolf, #3)
  • The Royal Flush (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #3)
  • Spell Bound (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #1)
  • A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • Ascendance (Dominion, #4)
  • Judgement (Wolfman #3)
  • Sight and Sinners (Men of London, #2)
  • Deadly Secrets (Kings of Eternity #1)
  • Healing Hunter's Heart (A Little Bite of Love, #2)
  • Crimson Mate (Of Blood and Spirit #1)
Annabelle Jacobs lives in the South West of England with her three rowdy children, and two cats.

An avid reader of fantasy herself for many years, Annabelle now spends her days writing her own stories. They're usually either fantasy or paranormal fiction, because she loves building worlds filled with magical creatures, and creating stories full of action and adventure. Her characters may have a tou

Lycanaeris (3 books)
  • The Altered 2 (Lycanaeris, #2)
  • The Altered 3 (Lycanaeris, #3)