Start by marking “Radio Silence” as Want to Read:

Radio Silence

(Osemanverse #8)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  72,270 ratings  ·  14,375 reviews
This is a previously-published edition of ISBN 9780007559244

What if everything you set yourself up to be was wrong?

Frances has been a study machine with one goal. Nothing will stand in her way; not friends, not a guilty secret – not even the person she is on the inside. Then Frances meets Aled, and for the first time she's unafraid to be herself.

So when the fragile trust
Published February 25th 2016 by Harper Collins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Radio Silence, please sign up.
Claire No het romance at all. Like most of the characters aren't heterosexual and any romance in it isn't het so :)…moreNo het romance at all. Like most of the characters aren't heterosexual and any romance in it isn't het so :)(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Jess Radio Silence is actually in the same universe, and the same town, as Alice's first book. If you read Solitaire, then go back to Radio Silence you get…moreRadio Silence is actually in the same universe, and the same town, as Alice's first book. If you read Solitaire, then go back to Radio Silence you get a couple good little character interactions between the two stories characters. (less)

·  72,270 ratings  ·  14,375 reviews

Start your review of Radio Silence
Cindy
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m pleasantly surprised by how authentically Oseman portrays teenagers, academic pressure, fandom, and friendships. The dialogue is organic instead of forced, the themes are universally relatable, and the purely platonic friendship is very genuine. The pace throughout this book is nicely done with several points of tension throughout the story. The diversity is weaved in naturally. Overall, this is a solid book that is sure to hit home for many teenagers. The main reason why I’m not rating this ...more
Alice Oseman
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
RADIO SILENCE is my second YA novel! It features:
- a high-achieving teenage girl who believes her future lies in academia
- her learning that sometimes there are other paths through life and learning to embrace her passion for art
- the shy, mysterious creator of a science-fiction audio drama podcast
- a friendship between a boy and a girl where they don't fall in love
- a critique of the way the education system brainwashes teens into believing that if they don't get good grades, they're destined f
chai ♡
Do not pity the dead, Harry, pity the living, and above all those WHO HAVE NEVER READ THIS BOOK.

This book was so tender and patient and compassionate and I feel so soft on every level of metaphorical interpretation. I honestly just want to SCREAM about this book and these characters forever and let that be my career!!

Look, I don’t know how to say “I love this book” in a way that will make your heart ache as much as mine does and I hate being so clumsy with words but I REALLY REALLY WANT YOU GUYS
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
TW: mental illness, animal abuse
This was excellent and hit so close to home on many levels. Highly recommend the audiobook!
Kat
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i need to lie down
Zoë
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hit so close to home, and I loved it. A heartfelt book that I would recommend to any person who has struggled with mental illness, academic pressure, and figuring out your own path. New favorite!
daph pink ♡
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer

Starting with a picture I found on twitter ❤️

"Hello. I hope somebody is listening."

( next time you wanna make me cry just say this line to me)

• Every book I have ever read, listen to me you all should envy this book, because it took my heart away the way none of you ever did!

• Don't get too jealous okay, I don't want to wake up in middle of night!

• Yeah so Radio silence (calm down*screaming*)

• I FUCKING LOVE THIS BOOK AND ITS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

•you see the book cover, look into her eyes, n
Elle (ellexamines)
description
description
“People move on quicker than I can comprehend. People forget you within days, they take new pictures to put on Facebook and they don't read your messages. They keep on moving forward and shove you to the side because you make more mistakes than you should.”

There’s something so authentically millennial about this book. It’s in the sense of loss. The exploration of detachment from parents and of abuse. The music choices - London Grammar and The 1975’s Chocolate are mentioned on the same page.
Melanie
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: kat

“…please just call me Radio. Radio Silence. I am, after all, only a voice on a radio, and there may not be anyone listening.”

Radio Silence is the best contemporary book I’ve ever read. Full stop. So, buckle in, because this is going to be a full-gush review, because this book was everything. And holy shit did it blow all my expectations out of the water.

I normally give a brief synopsis about the book I’m reviewing here, but Radio Silence almost feels too personal for me to even type
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I have a complicated relationship with YA contemporary books. I find that they're often quite fluffy in an empty kinda of way and often overhyped.

With that said, I think this one was great and completely get it. Great representation, great friendships and overall attaching characters you will feel for.

Recommend it!
Ariel
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I'd read this as a teenager. Alice Oseman so delicately and personally delivers a story about enjoying creativity and seeing life as having more options than solely "go to University."

We follow Frances, a girl who is dead set on going to Cambridge... even though she doesn't really seem to understand why she got on this path in the first place or remember why it matters so much to her. It's always been her plan, so it must have been the only good option, right? When she gets involved in a
jessica
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i absolutely tore through this. i actually dont think ive ever finished a book so quickly. just the effortlessness and ease of this story is really something. most likely because the pacing is on point, the storyline is good, and aled. oh my gosh. aled is so innocent and wholesome. i honestly kind of wish the story was told from his perspective instead.

but can we hear it for boy/girl friendships that actually STAY a friendship!? its sooo refreshing to read about this kind of relationship and i
emma
Look at me posting it up!!! Find this review hereeeeee: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...
---------

What. Is. This. Book.

Like...how do I review a book if I don’t know my feelings on it? AND HOW DO I DECIDE WHAT MY FEELINGS ARE IF I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS?

Okay. Let me go with the old classics and start off by stating what I know: a synopsis and the few concrete opinions I have.

So in this book we follow Frances, a studying machine who is a huge fangirl of a podcast (for a podcast? What is the
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Hello. I hope somebody is listening.”

I think by now this quote made its way into the most epic quotes of all time and I can totally understand all the hype this book got. When I joined goodreads back in 2017 “Radio Silence” was all over my feed and people were raving about it like crazy. I had no idea what all the fuss was about but three years later and countless books in between I finally get it. XD Alice Oseman’s book is amazing, epic, brilliant and most of all it’s relatable af!

As an auth
✨    jami   ✨
Me: time to talk about Radio Silence!

*clears voice*

Me: ARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I cannot, literally cannot emphasis to you how much I freakin adore this book with all my heart

Radio Silence is a book I've seen promoted around, especially by my friendos Amelie and Tasha and I expected to enjoy it but what I didn't expect was to fall down a radio silence hole never to be seen again

“In Distress. Stuck in Universe City. Send Help.

Whitney Atkinson
This book missed the mark for me, but also helped me solidify the fact that I don't think I enjoy fandom books anymore. This book focuses a lot on a fictional podcast and fanart and fandom, and I just found it more cringy than relatable. I liked Aled, so I wish this book was about him rather than Frances. I just couldn't relate at all to the storyline, and the overarching conflict of the characters not wanting to go to college ended up being so flat with such an easy solution--then don't?

I'm su
Reading_ Tamishly
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is just so damn important!

One of the best coming of age, young adult books ever.

It's just so real.

I started reading this one with no expectations. Good or bad, I was not going to care. I just jad to read it. The book has been slowly getting its audience ever since it got published.

This book is just not about the dilemma of the young who are getting into University and handling social media. This book is more than that. It talks about passion, the difficult situations the younger gener
Kai Spellmeier
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, owned
"Everything's better under the stars, I suppose. If we get another life after we die, I'll meet you there."

4.5/5 stars

A girl pretending to be someone else entirely. A boy who can peel away her layers. A friendship so deep they'll never want to lose each other. And secrets that could destroy it all.

I've you've read Solitaire or Radio Silence you'll know that she's one of us. Movie and book nerd, internet and 90's kid, passionate procrastinator, feminist, possibly awkward. Which is the main reason
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5

I honestly can’t tell you how long it’s been since I stayed up too late, not even realizing what time it was because I was so desperate to finish a story. Brilliant.
chan ☆
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
"if you like it, then it is brilliant."

shit y'all. i'm honestly at a loss for words when it comes to this book. as with many books, i was influenced by another person to read this one. specifically by kat of paperbackdreams on youtube. if you watch her, you'll understand the expectations that i had going into this.

it wasn't at all what i expected. i didn't know much about the plot going in, purposefully. but i didn't expect a book about a girl in her senior year of high school & a boy with an an
Dr. Appu Sasidharan
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was simple, heartwarming, invigorative, and evocative with a charming story. It was one of the best YA books I have ever read. If you are a teenager, please don’t miss the opportunity to read this book. The story of this high-achieving teenage girl and her shy friend will help you to rediscover yourself.

“I kept peeling off layers of my personality, but I seemed to be going in circles. Every time I thought I’d worked out what I really enjoyed, I started to second-guess myself.”
Nat
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse-reads
“Hello. I hope somebody is listening.”

Radio Silence has been on my wishlist for ages, so I figured the time has come to pick it up. And wow was time right.

We follow Frances Janvier's final school year. Frances has always been a study machine with one goal, elite university. Nothing will stand in her way; not friends, not a guilty secret – not even the person she is on the inside.

Frances is obsessed with Universe City, a YouTube podcast show about a suit-wearing student detective looking for a wa
Sofia
This book is for all my fellow sarcastic, goal-oriented overachievers with unreliable self-esteem, oddly specific obsessions, and unrealistic dreams.
I don't think I'll ever be the same.

Review to come...
Lucy Tonks
"Hello. I hope somebody is listening."

I feel so happy! This book gave me so many happy feels! I can't. Just thinking about it and I feel happy. I know for sure that I am going to re-read this book over and over in the future. I've only read Heartstopper from Alice Oseman before this book, but I already know that she will be a favourite author of mine once I finish reading all her books. Wait, no, scratch that, she already is a favourite author of mine.

This will probably be a bit of a chaot
theresa
Jun 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, sapphic
read most of this in one sitting and now idk what to do with myself
NickReads
Sep 24, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this is everywhere
Kayla Dawn
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
3,5* - this was so great up until the "showdown" happened. Realistic characters and relationships, a compelling writing style and a great message. But ugh the ending was so over dramatic and unrealistic.. It kinda ruined the book for me tbh. ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
THIS WAS SO GOOD EXCUSE ME WHILE I CRY FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS
Claudia Ramírez
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
They were all so precious I love them all.
Nash (all too unwell)
hello, I hope somebody is listening

im literally so broken rn *cri*

• She Gets the Girl
  • I Kissed Shara Wheeler
  • Hani and Ishu's Guide to Fake Dating
  • Aristotle and Dante Dive into the Waters of the World (Aristotle and Dante, #2)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
  • Bloom
  • I Wish You All the Best (I Wish You All the Best, #1)
  • All That's Left in the World
  • The Girl from the Sea
  • One Last Stop
  • Felix Ever After
  • If This Gets Out
  • The Henna Wars
  • This Time Will Be Different
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses, #1)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
See top shelves…
Alice Oseman is an award-winning author, illustrator, and screenwriter, and was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She has written four YA contemporary novels about teenage disasters: SOLITAIRE, RADIO SILENCE, I WAS BORN FOR THIS, and LOVELESS. She is the creator of LGBTQ+ YA romance webcomic HEARTSTOPPER, which is now published in physical form by Hachette Children's Books, and she is the writer, cre ...more

Osemanverse (10 books)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • This Winter
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper, #4)
  • Solitaire