Start by marking “Our Doris” as Want to Read:
Our Doris

Our Doris

The Partridge Mews Women's Institute have announced a Garden Safari and Doris Copeland, pillar of the community with a tenure as Maria in the Sound of Music that involved an awful gastrointestinal bug, plans on securing her position as fifth house.

Join her as she battles ne'er do well slugs, searches for the perfect artisan sausage and comes against her mortal enemy Janice
Paperback, 1, 190 pages
Published June 20th 2015 by Various Altitudes

To ask other readers questions about Our Doris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Doris

Start your review of Our Doris
Andrew
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ten gems of wit, insight and Matrimonial Survival present “Our Doris” to the world.
Heathcoate reaches back into distant BBC radio comedies, elderly sitcoms and literary characters who are neither politically correct nor apologetic. Indeed, his experience in writing radio plays explains not only the former, but gives Our Doris and her Family, Friends and Feuders a crisp dialogue that builds on the situational hilarity.

And hilarity is the operative term here – seldom have I actually laughed out lo
Jay Cole
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates British humor.
Our Doris by Charles Heathcote
Review copy supplied by author.

Our Doris should come with a warning to avoid food and drink while reading, because if you ‘get it’, this book is sprinkled with moments that might literally choke you with laughter.

Written as a series of monologues, it introduces Our Doris, a character somewhat reminiscent of Hyacinth Bucket of the British sitcom, Keeping Up Appearances, perhaps a distant cousin. Our Doris is spawned with the same devilishly-haughty mix of faux-superi
Jason
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy, literary
A Funny Read

A very strong 4.5 stars! I haven’t quite read a book like this before. I was introduced to Charlie’s writing via his YouTube channel and I’m so glad I decided to give his writing a go.

In picking up Our Doris, I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I didn’t expect at all was how well crafted the book is. It almost reads like a short story collection with one arching plot connecting the stories, never mind all the characters that do likewise. At the same time, Our Doris can be read, and I
Beth Chats Books
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very high 4 and a half stars read for me. I adored Doris. This book is just so clever and witty I was blown away by it. Charles Heathcote has such a sharp mind and this novel was reminiscent of great comedic works by great northern comedians such as Peter Kay and Victoria Wood. He gets extra brownie points from me for calling a cup of tea a brew in this book as well! I loved Harold and Doris’s relationship. I loved the dichotomy of Doris’s character. I loved the colloquial dialect of Harold’s ...more
Novelle Novels
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars
This is the first in the series and I love the way the author sets up the characters. I love Harold who is telling the story, he is so warm. Doris is so fiesty and someone you wouldn’t mess with. Village community is so close and I loved the structure of it. Harold is Doris husband and the way he supports her is so great and funny too. I found myself laughing so often and I really enjoyed picking this book up. I look forward to reading the rest of the series and recommend that ev
Chocolategoddess
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other, signed
Our Doris is a series of monologues which create an amusing reflection on old age and the desperately middle class. Filled with a variety of entertaining, and utterly believable, characters, it's easy to get wrapped up in the lives of our Doris and her suffering husband 'Arold.

This book is the first in what I'm told will be a series, and it explores our Doris's desperation to obtain a first-class position in the local garden safari. There is little she will not stoop to in pursuit of this, inclu
Wilsonn
Hilarious and heartwarming! (And thoroughly British!) Do read, do read!
Robyn
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS!

The Book
Doris Copeland is a stalwart of the Partridge Mews community. Determined, driven and with a particular dislike for slugs she has her sights set on being allocated fifth house in the Garden Safari, because why should the likes of Janice Dooley of Little Street or Violet Grey get the last word in by making her first house either way?
Harold and his monologues share with the reader what life with a wife who has been compared to Hitler is like, all the while having to contend with Th
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought this book after listening to Charles give a reading. The rhythm of Harold's speech is effortless and flows so you turn the pages almost without realising.
The story focuses on a minor event which explores the ups and downs of marriage, compromises, arguments, long term co-habitation and the subtle ways people support and appreciate their loved ones.
Todd Wittenmyer
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hilarious! 4.5 stars! You'll love the characters!
Dane Cobain
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I watch Charlie on YouTube, where he talks about the books he reads and the writing process. I do something much the same myself. I first started to get hooked on his content through his woolgathering monologues, where he sits in his car and talks about life.

If you find those videos entertaining, you’re going to love this. Our Doris is a beautifully put together indie release that nails everything from the cover and the layout to the contents inside of it. It has a very northern British sense of
Cat
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. It had me laughing out loud from start to finish and left me so happy that I picked it up. If you're interested in a truly funny read, definitely give this a go, because I loved it.

The feel of this book reminded me of a play I'd once been in (can't for the life of me remember the name of it), but it had that air of humour and quality writing that just evokes the setting so perfectly. It was so hilariously English and so hilariously Cheshire. And while the events of this book
Cuppa Books
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-in-series
This was wonderful. We follow the trials and tribulations of Doris from the perspective of her long-suffering husband 'arold. Funny, sweet(on occasion), absurd - this is the perfect feel-good read. I will definitely be continuing with the series.
Catherine Green
Our Doris is hilarious! I was hooked right from the first page, as I read about tales of marital woe, and bliss, as told by the long suffering husband, Harold. What I loved most about this book is the fact that I could relate entirely to all of the characters, because I saw them in older people from my own life throughout the years. If you need a comparison, I would say that Doris reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket from the television sitcom Keeping Up Appearances.

I chuckled and laughed all the way
Susan
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads first-reads.

A book of fictitious monologues from the point of view of a British husband of his wife and her actions. It is amusing to get a glimpse into the mind of a man towards his wife, especially one who seems to be a bit crazy. I suggest to enjoy this book one must have a bit of knowledge of the English way of life and culture in order to get some parts of the humor.
Sue
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
My friend gave me this book because I read and passed on to her book 2. Whilst this book is ok, it is not as good as the second one. I didn't find the eponymous heroine anywhere near as sympathetic in this 'first' meeting as I did in book 2.

For my part, I would suggest letting book 2 stand on its own. Skip this one.
Emma Rosen
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and funny. This was so warmly written. Charlie clearly has an amazing insight and affection for this kind of older characters. Very reminiscent of old British comedy. I love the writing being in a Northern dialect and the use of comic descriptions and similes.
Rosie Morgan
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Thankyou so much Charles Heathcote for sending me this book for free! Recently joined so it's been a massive pleasure winning this book first day I signed up! Ive read chapter one so far and it seems really good!
Anthony Andrews
Nov 03, 2019
Karen
Sep 12, 2018
Goodreads Authors...: Review of Our Doris 1 8 Aug 17, 2015 12:54PM
Books, Blogs, Aut...: Reviewers Wanted for a humorous tale of WI politics 4 7 Aug 05, 2015 11:44AM

• Revenge of the Living Dummy (Goosebumps HorrorLand, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Griefer's Mark (An Unofficial Gamer's Adventure #2)
  • Armageddon House
  • The Wise Friend
  • Lost For Words
  • Beastly Bones (Jackaby, #2)
  • Ghostly Echoes (Jackaby, #3)
  • The Map (Jackaby, #1.5)
  • In the Night Wood
  • The Dire King (Jackaby, #4)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Moroda
  • A Room of One's Own & The Voyage Out
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
  • The Gun Seller
  • Rise of a Sky Pirate (World of Linaria, #0.5)
Charles Heathcote has always lived in Macclesfield and very rarely leaves. Since 2011 he has been secretary to the Macclesfield Creative Writing Group. In 2013 he graduated from MMU Cheshire with a BA in Creative Writing.

He is the author of a series of Northern comedy novels featuring the Mrs Doris Copeland, as well as an upcoming cosy crime series, the first of which An Heir to Murder will be re

News & Interviews