Start by marking “Afterimage (The Enertia Trials, #1)” as Want to Read:
Afterimage (The Enertia Trials, #1)

Afterimage (The Enertia Trials #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Reggie’s dreams . . .
aren’t dreams.

Visions of the future flood her mind like shards of broken puzzles. Caged in her cell, every morning begins the same. She’s drugged, tortured, and images are torn from her memory by Public One.

Until the morning everything changes. The vision is different. The future’s never been about her, and now she knows they’re coming for her:

Nomads.

H
Published May 7th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Afterimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterimage

Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 4 Stars *****

The Public is the main government that controls the world. A perfect world where all the citizens have strong genetics. Some even have special skills that go beyond normal.

Reggie has been a puppet for the Public for years. Her visions have helped them collect nomads roaming outside. She's trapped, drugged, and always alone. When glimpses of her escape come to light, she finds hope and holds on.

Nate is a nomad that trusts no one. He remembers the old world and hates the Publ
Tuba Sayed
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this is easily one of the best dystopian novels out there in the indie realm. It is not romance focused, I find this element surprising, and yet highly pleasing at the same time. It astounds me that with so less cheese, the author still managed to make me fall in love with every ship.
Not necessarily spoilers, Man, I ship Nate and Reggie so hard, mind you, I ship London and Reggie also, cuties they are.  And. . .and yes, I ship Olivia and Nate too. I know, I know,  I can't help it.

I don't k
Lindsey Lynn
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Was offered a book in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

This story is told from so many different perspectives but the main couple characters being Nate and Reggie. Reggie is a human, well mostly? Her origins are unknown to everyone, even her. Nate is just a man trying to survive. This is a dystopian that happens after a third World War. The human race has been nearly wiped out with the exception of a few government facilities that are striving to create a pure and perfect world. And as w
Michelle (Bookaholic Banter)
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive signed copies of these books in excange for an honest review.

Wow! This book hooked me from the first page with its brilliant and intriguing beginning. What really won me over though, was the descriptive writing. Such vivid detail and everything came to life within the pages. The writing flowed so well. I loved the chapter length. It was perfect! The chapters alternated from different characters points of view. It was fantastic! It was easy to know who was who in eac
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
"Copy provided in exchange for an honest review."
"It was then that there was no possible way to deny that this girl probably felt emotions much deeper than most other people."
Holy. Jeezus.
This story is action packed to the brim and so so brutal. It's set in the future after World War III and yes, it is as intense and devastating for humanity as it sounds. Probably even worse. Human rights are taken away and it's up to the main characters to be the change humanity desperately needs. I love how ev
Demi
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
My Rating: 3.5 stars.

I have a love-hate (mostly love) relationship with this book. I did enjoy the overall storyline. There was tons of action and some parts were quite brutal! There were scenes where I was really anxious about what was going to happen next. But I felt like there wasn't enough character development, or detail/explanations about certain topics regarding Public One and the Nomads.
I liked Reggie a lot, I hope we get more character development from her in the next book though. I de
Micah
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. I cannot wait to start the next one, which will be right when I finish this review. If you like post-apocalyptic books, this is for you. It is very Hunger Games/Divergent/5th Wave, but better. For me, this book was everything that Divergent was in the depth of story line and better character development than the 5th Wave.

There are a lot of characters in this story and they ALL play a major role. The main character, I would say, is Reggie. You start the book, a little confused
Muskan
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions stated are mine and 100% honest.

I have said this before, and I will say it now again. The first thing I look for in a book is Characters with Great Character Development, then a Good Plotline, and then Quality Writing.
Afterimage by J. Kowallis had three of them, and I was BOUND to fall in love with this.

THE CHARACTERS:
This book is written from different perspectives, and I am glad it was because I could u
Crazy4Books
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review-books
This book follows the typical dystopian plot where a special girl meets a boy and they try to take down a goverment type agency. I dont usually mind this trope but maybe Im getting bored of it. It took me a third of the book before I started getting interested in the story and the characters. I almost gave up on it a few times. I was rushing myself to finish so I could review it and that probably effected my level of enjoyment. It didnt help that I was reading another book at the time which was ...more
E.J. Mellow
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Devastating and fearless, J. Kowallis has created a dystopian world unlike any other.
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Holy crap that was a good book! I absolutely love it! by now, you guys probably know that there is 3 things important for me in a book : Writing, characters, storyline. This book has everything I like and enjoy. The writing is wonderful. i was hooked from the start and it didn’t let me go until the very end. Such a well written page turner. The plot is entertaining and intense. You just never know what is going to happen next or who’s going to get hurt, you are never sure if your favorite is goi ...more
Lindsay
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's pretty rare that a book will grab me immediately, but this book had me in the first chapter. I also felt like the entire book was a constant build up of anticipation and I just had to know what was going to happen next. Such a page turner! I really liked the characters and hope we get to find out more about them and possibly more of the backstory of this dystopian society in general. This story was so intriguing and well written. I can't wait for the sequel!
Mallary
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
J. Kowallis has created something unique in this raw, gritty, and utterly captivating novel. She's created a world with passionate, vivid characters and merciless villains.
This book had me gripped from the beginning. Even after I put the book down, I couldn't help but think about it. This novel stays with you and keeps you wanting.
Bring on book 2!
Jasmine
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Afterimage is the first book in the Enertia Trials series. When I first read the synopsis for it, I was quite intrigued and curious to see what it was all about. It sort of reminded me a little of Minority Report in a way, but not quite the same. I did, however, avoid the synopsis for Encender, only because I did not want to spoil anything. I did agree to review it based on nothing more than the synopsis of the first book and the hope that I would enjoy it. And, boy, did I do just that!

Afterimag
Ashley Tomlinson
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was crazy creative. I don't read a lot of dystopian just because so many feel too alike to me. I guess they have so many of the same elements in them that it can be difficult to differentiate them from each other. That being said I think this book had many differences to the rest in this genre.

There were kind of a lot of characters and probably too many POV's. I did like the different perspectives sometimes but it got a little annoying at times. The main two POV's are Reggie and Nate.
Angela Cramer
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Afterimage and Encender are the first works I had read from this author. The post-apocalyptic synopsis intrigued me greatly. To the point I requested to review double, full-length novels when I knew I'd have multiple interruptions. I wasn't disappointed.

For those of you who like a linear story line though, this is not the book for you. The story doesn't jump from the past to the present, rather changes points of view each chapter and within the chapter may repeat parts of the story, but from an
Michelle
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels, scifi
Ugh. Rating books is hard. This one was a toughie. In general, I liked it. It was engrossing, fast-paced, intense. It was an interesting post-apocalyptic world, and I liked the two main characters. So that's quite a lot of positives. BUT . . . Well, there are problems. One is the occasionally awkward writing, full of errors that should have been caught and edited. Come on, people, sight/site is not that hard to use properly. There were lots of little things like that. And at times the author see ...more
Gabrielle
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
"Copy provided in exchange for an honest review."

There isn't much to say about this book. I think I'm completely over the whole dystopian thing.

This book has the typical dystopian formula: special girl, love triangle, rescue mission, mission information to have more than one book, multiple povs,some form of mind control, and death.

The book had really good pacing. There was a lot of action. I was grateful for that because I didn't think I would finish it otherwise. It was a pretty easy read.

The a
Eshadi Sharif
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
*digital copy provided by the author in exchange for an HONEST review*
This book is really high up there when it comes to novels with a dystopian setting. I REALLY wished more people read this. I almost felt bad for the characters because their plans never turn out well..
What I absolutely love about this book is the fact that the author gives importance to side characters. You become emotionally attached to all of them. My favourite character so far is Nate and Liam.
You know the author is good
kaitlin schade
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it's book review time!
I was sent this book for an honest review!
~~~
ohmygosh! I love this book soooo much!
I'm not going to go into detail about what this book is about (will be in book review video on my YouTube channel, vid will be up this week!) but I do want to let you know that this book takes place in the future after WWIII.
~~~
the character development blew my mind! I loved it! all of it!
I really like the plot and I can honestly say this book gets an easy five stars!

edit: i read this book
legenbooksdary
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Afterimage is a moving story set in a dystopian world. This book got me hooked right on the very first page.

I like the unpredictable and vibrant characters. Especially Nate. I definitely want a piece of that hunk. Reggie is also an intriguing woman. It must take a toll on her to see beforehand those future images and dreams. (Why can't they just be together?!)

I love how complex the plotline is. You can really imagine and experience yourself in the story. Evil villains make the story all the mor
Shut.up.im.tryin.to.read
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Finished this on Friday and it was amazing! Loved the rich characters, diverse settings, and creative storyline. This book made me laugh, cry, and question humanity - often all at the same time!

The sense of family loyalty and romance made the story even stronger and easy to fall in love with.

Such an original idea and I'm excited to read the sequel! Thanks for sending me a copy, Jernae! :)

I'd give this book 4/5
Nicole (Let's Talk Books)
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
WATCH FULL REVIEW HERE!!
Margarida
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! Now I have to wait to know what's going to happen next :( A very good book :)
Sophie
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story, very dark, with great characters and an intense plot that keeps you hanging all the while you're reading. I enjoyed the twists and turns and the beautiful style of Ms. Kowallis.
Maisha Zahir
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was sent a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was set up in a world where the citizens are devoid of emotions and are controled using drugs by the Public One people.
Reggie was genetically modified to have a special power: she can see visions of the future.
She is kept hostage by Public One and is forced to give out her visions everyday.

While reading, I was engulfed by the world.
I was deeply disturbed by Public one's actions. J. Kowallis' writing got to the cor
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it
So far I like the plot. The writing, however, is atrocious. Third person POV used when chapter title is that character. So many mistakes, too. I have no idea what company edited this, but they were asleep. "Hurdling" was used when author meant "hurling." Many times I caught what I'd describe as "both thoughts," where the author thinks the words "to" and "for" and ends up with a sentence that when not skimmed, makes zero sense.
Robin Raines-Bond
I enjoyed the story line a lot - Enough to continue reading the rest of the series. The editor needed to do a better job checking for spelling errors and helping the author with character and plot development. This has the potential to be a really great series with a little more tweaking. If you are a new Author, J. Kowallis, keep writing!
Tera
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book grabs you right from the beginning. It's fast paced, engrossing, and inventive.
The characters are fantastic and the setting is beautiful.
It was a little difficult to get through the alternating 1st and 3rd person POV. Especially when the entire book alternates several character POVs at the same time. The writing could be a little choppy and difficult to get through; however, I will definitely continue the series.
Tricia
4.5 out of 5stars!

Wow! Afterimage was a top notch dystopian novel! It has everything you could possibly want, a hostile war ravaged Earth check, a tyrannical pop up government that rules with an iron fist check, groups of survivors hell bent on resisting the government’s shackles check, compelling and engaging multidimensional characters on both sides of the fence check, and freaking super abilities check, check! I was quite honestly blown away with this story!

The Plot. It was original, imagina
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Dreamcatcher (Dreamland #1.5)
  • Reapers: Code 001 (Death The Grim)
  • Energy Dependence Day
  • The Boy and the Samurai
  • The Feud
  • On the Wings of the Morning
  • Later Novels: A Lost Lady / The Professor’s House / Death Comes for the Archbishop / Shadows on the Rock / Lucy Gayheart / Sapphira and the Slave Girl
  • The Stolen Voice (Gilbert Cunningham, #6)
  • Blame: A Casey Portman Novel
  • The Red Highway
  • Spaceman Daddy
  • Terramezic Energy (Grumpy Old Wizards, #4)
  • Awakened by Fire (Dragons of Bloodfire, #2)
  • The Rebel Trap (Rebel #2)
  • Cheater: Love. Addiction. Unbridled Devotion. (A Sweetwater Vampire Novel Book 1)
  • The Streets (The Pines Trilogy, #3)
  • Against the Tide: Rickover's Leadership Principles and the Rise of the Nuclear Navy
  • No More Worlds to Conquer: Sixteen People Who Defined Their Time – And What They Did Next
J. Kowallis graduated from Weber State University’s creative writing program, and lives in Utah with her Mini Schnauzer, Etta. She enjoys dreaming about, flying to, and writing about distant lands (real or unreal).
More about J. Kowallis

The Enertia Trials (4 books)
  • Encender (The Enertia Trials, #2)
  • Duality (The Enertia Trials, #3)
  • Dominion (The Enertia Trials, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“You may be right. There may be no one greater than you or me. But that 'blind faith' kept me alive, and if you ask me, you're no different. If you've truly given up, why do you keep trying?” 4 likes
“I was a complete ass." -Nate

"Ah. You and I finally agree." -Reggie”
2 likes