Start by marking “Miss Mabel's School for Girls (The Network Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Miss Mabel's School for Girls (The Network Series, #1)

Miss Mabel's School for Girls (Network #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,838 Ratings  ·  380 Reviews
Never underestimate the power of a determined witch.

Letum Wood is a forest of fog and deadfall, home to the quietly famous Miss Mabel’s School for Girls, a place where young witches learn the art of magic.

Sixteen-year-old Bianca Monroe has inherited a deadly curse. Determined to break free before it kills her, she enrolls in the respected school to confront the cunning wit
Published April 2015 by Amazon Digital Services (first published March 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Mabel's School for Girls, please sign up.
Katie Cross Not in this book! But you'll find a few in the second book in the series, Antebellum Awakening. :)
Evan Morgan Katie has been asked this question before on her author page. :) Here is her answer: "The Network Series will have five total books, including the…moreKatie has been asked this question before on her author page. :) Here is her answer: "The Network Series will have five total books, including the prequel "Mildred's Resistance" which comes out in the early summer. I have several ideas brewing in the back of my mind, the greatest of which is Esmelda's story (the first High Priestess) and the tale of how the Networks came to be. On top of that is a project I've tentatively titled "The Sisters" which will be about Isadora and Sanna. (It's going to be so fun!)

I do have a few other ideas that do not take place in Antebellum, and are not fantasy, but they will probably be awhile before I venture into those. In my heart of hearts, I'm a fantasy girl!"(less)

Lola
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok

Giving that it was supposed to be a famous magic school for mighty witches in making, Miss Mabel’s School for Girls was pretty damn unstimulating. There were so many chances for the author to exploit the world and setting she attempted to create, but she just stuck with feeble details of the surroundings and barely added any action. How can that possibly be? A.School.Of.Magic, guys.

The first two hundred pages weren’t that bad, but they weren’t great either. So many psychological and intense in e
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

But of course!

Sixteen year old Bianca's family is cursed. The thing is the curse of three's entails that when she turns seventeen Bianca will die from the curse.

Who placed the curse in the first place? Miss Mabel. The head of the girl's witchcraft school. Bianca plans on being taken as her head student so that she can convince Mabel to lift the curse.

First she must compete against girls that have been at the school longer than she has to win the competition. Once she does she realizes that Ma
Rosanna
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most entertaining books I've read this year. I highly recommend it to everyone, and especially those who love witches and magic schools.

The writing was wonderful and I can't say enough about the characters. There is no annoying YA drama queens! Amen, people!

Great, fun story. Read the book.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Magic, witches, somewhat 1800's country feel, curses and villains! I had a lot of fun reading this book. It had been awhile since I was eager to finish a book as soon as I got home. The writing is an easy read, but felt more mature than most debut authors.

Bianca gets into Miss Mabel's school for girls with the intent of trying to find a way to remove curse that effects her grandmother, mother, and herself. Miss Mabel is responsible for the curse and the only one who can remove it.

Bianca is a s
Andrea
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t like stories about witches. Seriously. The House of Night series, I couldn’t get past the first book.

I may have to turn in my nerd card but Harry Potter, I have yet to finish the opening chapter.

I just was not amused by all the hocus pocus.

Sorry David.

It could be that I was traumatized as a child.

Nightmares for days.

Or it could be that I hadn’t read Miss Mabel’s School for Girls.

Katie Cross has awakened a whole new genre for me. The story opens on a young girl, named Bianca being
Morgannah
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I would strongly recommend this to fantasy readers who like boarding school books and magic. Fans of witches and unbreakable female heroines will also be drawn to this book. If you are tired of love triangles and romance, pick up this one, its definitely something unique in the young adult world.
J.S. Bailey
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin, allow me to mention that I received a free copy of this novel from the author to review.

Ahem.

I became acquainted with Katie Cross back when the Blue Monkey writing blog was still in existence. Then it dissolved, and some of the survivors of said blog decided to organize a new writing blog called Obey the Muse, which I became a part of. (Shameless blog promo: www.obeythemuse.com. Visit us. VISIT US!!!)

(Sorry.)

Katie had been talking about Miss Mabel's School for Girls for a long ti
Kirstin Pulioff
This is one of the best books I have read so far this year, and I can't wait to tell you why.

Where should I start singing the praises... let's start with the characters. Katie Cross must not believe in wimps, because this book is littered with strong female characters. From the heroine Bianca Monroe, to Miss Mabel, the High Priestess, and even some of the side characters. Strength, intelligence, and determination are praised and highlighted as positive attributes.

At a very basic level, Bianca Mo
Kirsty
I'm just going to jump right in and say what kept going through my mind the entire book...the author has been HUGELY influenced by Harry Potter, and this has had a massive impact on her writing of Miss Mabel's School for Girls.

There were so many comparisions that I started a mental checklist;

Cursed teenager?
Magical school?
Bookish best friend?
Big hearted best friend?
An underage pupil compeating in a three trials quest? ✔ (The Triwizard Cup in Goblet of Fire).
A seemingly stern teacher with
Summer
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Omg where do i begin......

Reminds me of House of Night series, Harry Potter series, and the Secret Circle series.

I would give this outstanding story 10 stars! This will be the next hit in YA fiction! Not to mention the different world that we are transported to by the excellent story telling.

Such a strong main character. I fell in love with Bianca. Loving the family. Loyalty to the family.

This book is not even out yet and I'm wanting to get my hands on the next installment.

I will definitely be
Raegan   Ralls
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

This was a pretty good read! Katie Cross really knows how to set the scene. She does every scene in full blown detail. This book reminded me of Harry Potter.

I felt the main character, Bianca, was rather annoying. She was 16 in this book but acted like she was 6. I wanted to know more about the characters in this book. I would have liked to know more about Bianca s family too. It did get a little
Kare
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this YA book! I had a hard time putting the book down because each chapter came with new surprises as different characters revealed nuances to the story. I loved all the introduction to
The characters for the series. I'm excited for the rest of the series to come out.
Angela
Feb 10, 2016 marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
10 February 2016: $0.99 on Kindle
Aly
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bianca Monroe has some gifts she didn't mention right away when going to Miss Mabel's School for Girls but we find out more about this character and all her gifts. This story was interesting and kept me reading more. It did remind me a little of the Harry Potter series but all girls. The story was different and the magic was exciting. I think my favorite part was toward the end when the cat starting coming around. Overall, not a bad book.
Kate
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Bianca Monroe is a 16-year-old witch. A powerful Inheritance curse has been placed on her mother and grandmother. The witch behind the curse is none other than Miss Mabel of Miss Mabel’s School for Girls. The school is the most prestigious one in the Witches’ Network and every year, it hosts a Student Competition, the prize of which is private lessons with the school’s High Witch. Within the first few hours of ar
Kristy Gillespie
"I'm Bianca Monroe, and I run in the woods with my skirts up. I also don't know how to steep or pour tea," (15) Bianca thinks as she races through Lectum Woods; away from the stuffy interview with Miss Isadora, and toward the mysterious Miss Mabel's School For Girls which trains young witches.

Miss Mabel put a lethal curse on Bianca's grandmother which in turn cursed her daughter and granddaughter. Bianca must outwit Miss Mabel by winning the competitions and becoming her assistant; only then wil
Candace
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I waited ages for this book. I read Katie's blog regularly and love her snark and how well her own personality comes through on her page. I was curious about how her characters would be, plus it's fantasy, which is my favorite!

From the moment I opened this book I loved it! Bianca is a character that really shines through. She's got snark and spunk. She's not at all a follower and speaks up. She's not really afraid to be herself, though she tries to reign it in so she doesn't draw too much atten
Joana Vieira
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found at Joana In The Sky With Books

If there was only one word I could use to describe this novel, it would be "WOW"!

This book is absolutely action packed from beginning to end! There are no dull moments and there are so many twists and turns that you just have to keep turning the pages. It's definitely one of those books that you only want to put down when you finish it. I have to say that I don't remember the last time a book surprised me, but this one sure did! When I
Jennifer Jimmerson
I have not been sure what to say about this book. It is an enchantingly good novel. I enjoyed it, but that isn't enough of a review. I am a huge fan of YA Fantasy and was intrigued from the beginning. Who is this Bianca? Why is her future determined by Isadora? Why is Miss Mabel so important? Why is everyone so nervous?

The main character, 16 year-old Bianca, inherited a curse; one that will kill her if she cannot get Miss Mabel to remove it before her next birthday. She must find a way to remove
Priscila
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it

I received this ebook in exchange for a honest review.

Bianca Monroe is a sixteen year old witch with a family curse that threatens everything she holds dear, to save herself and her family, she goes to Miss Mabel's School for Girls, she must get close to the only person who can reverse the curse, Miss Mabel...

I really enjoyed this one.
A very good start for this new series, I'm definitely intrigued as to where it's going.
Bianca is a strong MC, the world building is very is good, even if we spen
D.M. Kilgore
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter, YA, Fantasy Fans, Anyone who loves a BEWITCHING read.
Recommended to D.M. by: Obey The Muse
Something Wicked This Way Comes... Wicked Brilliant!

A magical little novel, "Miss Mabel's School For Girls" by the wickedly talented Katie Cross, is anything but your average young adult fantasy. In fact, I suspect I've been bewitched. I was so mesmerized that I read it in one sitting. It's safe to say that Katie Cross knows how to cast a spell!

On top of a truly well-rounded story, with some pretty clever characters, her research was so extensive that the story reads as more realistic than fant
Camly Nguyen
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Bianca has one year left to live. One year to find a way to free herself from a curse set on her way before she was even born. One year left to save those that she loves from the evil hands of Miss Mabel, but first, she has to get into Miss Mabel’s School for Girls and win the Annual Competition.

As you can probably guess from the short summary, yes, she won the competition and yes, half the book was that predictable. Oh and apparently all the grade levels are mixed up and they all go in
Stephan McLeroy
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, as a 30 year old male, I figured out REALLY fast that I am not the target audience for this book. Why the hell is the main character so concerned with comparing her hair to other girls' hair? Oh... right.... 16 year old girls. In fact, if you are a male reader who is interested in this book, be warned: there are no male characters in this book, for the most part. This isn't bad, however. The narrative was strong, the themes were pretty straight forward, and the main character was not annoyin ...more
Emma
I took me a while to get around to reading this book. Not sure why. It was amazing.

The setting was brilliant and the story even better. I was kept guessing the whole way through. I read it in a few days (quick for me just now). The magic was really clever and original. I was very unsure of Miss Mabel, was it all an act or was she truly like that. Bianca was a great lead character. She was strong and spunky.

All the different types of magic was engaging I was not bored even for a line. It’s frustr
Diane Follett
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome read. I loved everything about it, especially the fact that Bianca didn't need a boy to "complete" her! Very well written! Highly recommend to all ages.
Bailey
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Fun. Touching. Read it.

I received an advance copy of this novel to read, as the book is being released TODAY, right now, on Amazon. So let me tell you why you should rush off, buy it and read it.

Miss Mabel’s School for Girls is the first installment in the Network Series and debut novel by the witty Katie Cross. I’m privy to enough background information to know this novel was written in seven weeks, but it doesn’t read as a rushed piece of work. In all honesty, I can say I was very pleasa
Izabella ⋆ Pages Full of Stars ⋆
"We all have the same chance to be powerful within us. What it comes down to is the choices that we make along the way."

Bianca Monroe has one year left to live. All female members of her family have been cursed with the Inheritance Curse and Bianca is determined to break it before it's too late for her. She spent years learning magic and honing her skills, waiting for the moment when she will join Miss Mabel's School for Girls and face Miss Mabel herself - the woman who cursed her family and i
Ginny  Gallagher
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY REVIEW
No errors, great formatting, beautiful cover, and a fantastic story!

Strong and determined girls- The main character is Bianca Monroe. A girl determined to reverse a family curse. She is a wonderful heroine. She cares about her family, has integrity, is humble, clever, and believes in working towards a goal. She isn't waiting around for a prince to save her. No way. She is taking matters into her own hands and saving herself and her family.

The characters and the plot are well done. The
Missie
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found out about Miss Mabel’s School for Girls in an email to do a release day post. I love boarding schools, witches, mystery so the book seemed totally up my alley. Plus, the author seemed so cool. I am so glad I bought it, especially because it was only $2.99 on Amazon!

Likes:

The storyline was so cool, although there did seem to be some comparing to Harry Potter (which really can’t be helped right?) but once it got going it really stood on its own.

I loved the MC Bianca, she is so strong, bril
Kella Campbell
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like YA fantasy, Miss Mabel’s School for Girls is a must-read. Set aside your comparisons with Harry Potter (inevitable forevermore when an author combines boarding school and witches, not to mention competitions and curses), because Miss Mabel’s is an all-girls boarding school, and Bianca Monroe is far from a “smart girl” stereotype in a witch hat. She struggles with homework, prefers practical study to book learning, adores her family, can’t bear to be caged in… and then there’s that de ...more
Who did you love best: Leda or Camille? 5 13 Mar 08, 2018 07:22PM
Buddy Read Zone: Miss Mabel's School for Girls 59 23 Aug 21, 2014 12:40AM
If you could be High Priestess, would you be? 2 7 Mar 30, 2014 10:51PM
  • Henge (Le Fay #1)
  • Moonlands
  • Jack Templar And The Lord Of The Werewolves (The Templar Chronicles, #4)
  • The Midnight Spell
  • The Demon's Deadline (Demon's Assistant, #1)
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • Clockwork Menagerie (Shadows of Asphodel, #2.5)
  • Dreamscape: Saving Alex
  • Havoc Rising
  • Magic 101 (A Diana Tregarde Investigation Boxset)
  • Where the Carnies Are
  • Tales From High Hallack, Volume 1: The Collected Short Stories of Andre Norton, Volume 1
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • A Painted Goddess (A Fire Beneath the Skin, #3)
  • A Curse Unbroken (Weird Girls, #5)
  • The Witch's Kiss (The Witch's Kiss, #1)
  • Straydog
  • Sound of Sirens (Tales of Skylge, #1)
My world revolves around my husband (who is a major hottie), my Vizsla’s, and the mountains.

I wear hiking boots instead of heels when I need to feel powerful, and on a bad day, I love a weightlifting workout. Actually, I love it on a good day.

I don’t eat bread because my thyroid doesn’t like it, although there are days I miss it. Especially ciabatta. Sweet potatoes are kind of my thing. Cookies to
More about Katie Cross

Network (4 books)
  • Antebellum Awakening (The Network Series, #2)
  • The High Priest's Daughter (The Network Series, #3)
  • War of the Networks (The Network Series, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
    $9.99 $2.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Your first job in every confrontation is to establish your opponent’s weakness. Strategy starts with weak spots.” 10 likes
“I arrived early because I lifted my skirts and ran here. Hope that qualifies me to fit in. If not, let me impress you with my secret talent at brewing the perfect tea.” 7 likes