Start by marking “Love, Lies and Spies” as Want to Read:
Love, Lies and Spies

Love, Lies and Spies

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  3,107 Ratings  ·  657 Reviews
Juliana Telford is not your average nineteenth-century young lady. She’s much more interested in researching ladybugs than marriage, fashionable dresses, or dances. So when her father sends her to London for a season, she’s determined not to form any attachments. Instead, she plans to secretly publish their research.

Spencer Northam is not the average young gentleman of lei
Published April 19th 2016 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Love, Lies and Spies, please sign up.
Mimi Definitely! I am 13 and would definitely recommend this to other people my age. Read the back that helped me make the decision to read and I am so…moreDefinitely! I am 13 and would definitely recommend this to other people my age. Read the back that helped me make the decision to read and I am so glad I did!(less)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

1.5 stars. Perhaps I would have loved if I hadn't spied so many lies. Everybody kept lying to me, and there was so much telling that I wouldn't have been surprised if I had come across a sentence telling me that this book was fantastic. It was not, but rather tedious, repetitive and underwhelming.

Lie # 1 : "She smiled at the recollection of their lively banter...."

Pray tell. Girl, did that happen off page? Because I did not see that. For one the dialogues were stiff and sounded horribly fake,
Alyssa
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication Date: April 19, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Nastassja

The first word that came to my mind when I started Love, Lies and Spies was promising. The second word was slough. I like a good historical fiction or romance spiced with humor and ol' good mystery. But with this book the more I went deeper, the more I sank.

Before I started reading it, I've seen a couple of not so positive reviews, but I didn't read them, because I was the skeptic one, who believed she was the only righteous person among a crowd of unbelievers. Hat down, I admit I was too assert

Katerina Kondrenko
4 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Genre: YA, historical romance
Stuff: espionage, the Season, lady beetles
Fail: pacing, plot and romance
WOW: stylization
POV: 3rd-person, she/he
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
"How could he concentrate on the complexities of his mission when his mind was constantly deviating to that lovely
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own. This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

Is that cover not adorable?!? If you answered that question with a resounding YES then you will probably like the story on the pages of this book, as well, because it is equally charming. I've really gotten into Regency period romances novels lately, this novel included. I've mentioned before that I think that has to do with
mith
Y'know, I stayed up all night--on a SCHOOL NIGHT--to finish this novel. I didn't finish it by the time my alarm rang, of course, but that it was lunch is for.
I just wanted to add that for a bit of insight to show you guys that I was kinda into this book.
I would label this as Regency light. Because that's kind of what it is. The only other novel I can kind of compare this to would be The Dark Days Club but it's without all those life threatening secrets and revelations. It's a cute book, really.
I
Stacee
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I love all things Jane Austen, so I was quite interested in this story.

Love love loved Juliana. She's smart and headstrong and knows exactly what she wants. She refuses to be trapped in what society deems to be the proper activities and behaviors for ladies. I truly enjoyed her story. Spencer is adorable when he's interacting with Juliana. The spy side of his story was a bit dry and not nearly as exciting as I was expecting.

Overall, it was a cute read and I look forward to seeing future works fr
Sophie
You'll probably know this about me already, but I'm just about to finish my history and ancient history degree. Anything to do with history, and I'm bound to want it. The regency era is one of my favourite eras of history to read about, especially when it is reminiscent of Jane Austen, who is my hero. This book had been on my radar for a while, and when I got a discount voucher for BD on my birthday, I decided to treat myself with a preorder.

Love, Lies and Spies takes place in 1813, right as the
Miriam
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would have liked more etymological research and more espionage, but other than that this was cute and a pleasant read. I liked Spencer and Juliana, and appreciated that her cousin a well-meaning if sometimes clueless girl rather than a conniving bitch, as secondary female characters so often are. I'd definitely recommend this more for romance fans than for people looking for suspense.
Glory
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Если бы Джулия Куин увлеклась YA, она наверняка написала бы нечто подобное))
Легкое, задорное, светлое и просто мимими.

Героиня мила, неуклюжа, увлечена совсем не тем, чем полагается увлекаться юной леди, и очень непосредственна.
Герой... хочется сказать "прекрасен и таинственен", но до этого ему далеко, ибо он тоже весьма юн )))

Здесь есть все, что нужно хорошему ИЛР: достоверные описания, соответствующие характеры, остроумные диалоги, минимум экшена, несколько загадок и прочая-прочая. Но никак
Allison
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely charming and adorable Regency romp!

I loved that Juliana had an independent and curious streak but still wanted to conform to society etiquette and propriety. She was so lovable and clumsy in an non-annoying way ^_^, and Spencer was always there to swoop in and rescue her, while remaining entirely un-smothering and non-stalkery. The romance is very slow-burn, and there are plenty of London society hijinks and frequent spy action to keep things rolling along.

Also, my favorite roman
Fafa's Book Corner
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

This book was recommended to me by my dear GR friend Cookie! Click on her name to read her review.

I has heard about this book through Cookie's review. At first I didn't think much of it but then it started popping up on GR. After reading the synopsis I didn't hesitate to pre-order this book. I am happy that I enjoyed it!

The book begins with Juliana in a sticky situation. She is dangling of a branch and if she lets go she'll fall. She i
Melissa Souza
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars easily!!!

As a huge fan of Georgette Heyer while growing up, I was really keen to start on this novel as it was based on the regency period. Once I got started, I was just swept away into the lush setting of the story and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed every written word. Cindy Anstey's flawless style of writing was very apt for the period. From the descriptions of the dresses, houses and the use of language, by the end, I was very glad to have picked up the book after all those fantasy
Svetlana Dyachenko
Jan 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is such a disappointment!
I have no desire to write a full review. I just want to say, that this "masterpiece" is a cheap historical novel.
The main characters could not stop thinking about each other. And that's all that happened in the book. No true spies. No adventure. Just some irritation.
Ileana
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
DNF
I really wanted to enjoy this one, but I never could fully get into it...
There was just... Nothing happening in it... Just repetitive scenes :/
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
EDIT 25/07 : Yeah, this one definitely doesn't deserve 3 stars, so I change my rating to 2.

---------

I might have to restrain my previous enthusiasm for this one.
This book was my rebound book, and as any rebound...thing, it was appropriate at the moment and maybe a bit less a few days after you're no longer in need of an easy consolation prize.

Love, Lies and Spies is a very cute little book and it will be perfect for you if you're in need of a light and not very steamy historical YA romance. Ther
Nidofito
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute, quirky, and fun. Main characters are fun and lovable, but the plot is meh and runs a little too long.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

A cute, historical rom-com with nary a love triangle in sight!

Juliana is off to have her Season with her younger-by-one-year cousin, but Juliana is more interested in visiting London for the sites, entertainment and publishing opportunities it presents than to try and find a suitable match.

Spencer is also off to London for the Season, but in pursuit of a traitor to the Crown.

After entering a mildly flirtatious friendship after a chance encounter - on a clifftop, no less - the two decide to e
Stephanie
Whew, that was a challenge to get through. I feel like I ran an SAT-vocab marathon.

Every time I picked up this book I found myself finding something else to do to avoid it. That is NEVER what you want your readers to feel. I would not have finished it if it wasn't for book club.

This book is definitely an homage to Jane Austen, but unfortunately the author is definitely not Jane Austen. The problems I had with it are two-fold: The writing is extremely dense and nothing really exciting happens.

I
Michelle
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: https://bookbriefs.net**Swoon Reads has done it again! Love, Lies and Spies is one of my favorite books of 2016. It is a young adult historical romance by Cindy Anstey, and I refuse to believe this is actually Cindy's debut novel. Young Adult historical is a genre that I don't read too much of...not because I don't enjoy it. When it is is well done, I love it. But I am super picky when it comes to the writing and world building in my histor ...more
Kimberly Karalius
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Swoon Reads sent me an Advanced Reader's Edition of Love, Lies, & Spies and I'm soooo glad I had the opportunity to read this gem before it hits stores. I've been on a huge Regency kick after discovering Austenland (the movie and the books), so I was definitely in the mood to dive right into Juliana and Spencer's story.

Juliana is a great heroine. Unlike other MCs who are clumsy, Juliana's sense of clumsiness often gets her into interesting scrapes (and into the arms of a certain gentleman,
Tammie
I could hardly wait to read Love, Lies and Spies. I mean, look at that description and that cover. And what a fun read it turned out to be. I suppose your enjoyment of this book will depend on what your expectations are when you pick it up. For me it was mostly what I thought it would be, a Regency era romance with a little intrigue that starred a rather unconventional heroine. If the book has a weakness it is that there is not enough of the intrigue, and maybe not quite enough character develop ...more
Karina
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
4.5☆
I finished this book yesterday and it was just epic cuteness. It's a YA historical romance that, although it isn't overly unique, is warm and inviting and has a bit of intrigue. I got exactly what I needed from it and that was a huge smile on my face for 100% of the book
Lisa
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, e-arc
So here I am, Miss Contemporary Girl, venturing into the world of historical YA again. I’m really trying (a lot, actually!) to venture out of my comfort zone this year. I’ve read a handful of historical novels (all YA) and though I’m still struggling with them quite a bit, I have been enjoying them.

Juliana is my kind of MC. Totally clumsy and accident-prone, she made me chuckle quite a bit. But she’s not all stumbles and falls… she’s also quite thick-headed, intelligent, and even stubborn at tim
Claire
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An advance copy of this title was provided by the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this was a great YA regency novel. I finished it in a single day, and absolutely loved the characters. While the ending seemed a bit rushed, some details filled in that I couldn't have cared less for, and others forgotten, I really did enjoy this book. I enjoyed the friendships, and I REALLY appreciated Anstey's attention to historical detail. All in all, it reminded me of The Da
Sheila
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Total cotton candy regency fluff :3 The premise & dialogue will make a normal person roll their eyes so hard they'll pop out, but if you're in the right mood for fluff then oh my god this will hit the spot.
Gabriela
Not enough love, meaningless lies and a quite boring plot on spies. Definitely hoped for more from such a pretty cover.
Danika Stone
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Jane Austen's writing, so it was a joy to find myself immersed in the Regency world as I read Love, Lies & Spies. Juliana's independence and intelligence are on par with Austen's heroines, the dashing Spenser, every bit as captivating as Mr. Darcy. But these characters are no cut-outs. Juliana and Spenser have a set of rules all their own!
Independent to a fault, Juliana's wit kept me laughing aloud, even as she bantered with a well-meaning Spenser. The set-up of pretending to b
Trisha
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was so adorable. I loved how fiery and independent Juliana was. She defied social norms and yet, didn't have any problem standing down and deferring to elders when it really was necessary. She's a sensible and smart girl.

Spencer was equally wonderful. Although awful at his job, he was fun to read and watch him stumble as he tried to figure out what to do.

The Pyebalds, Carrie and the Reeves were all wonderful additions to the story. I really hope (view spoiler)
Kara-karina
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
A sweet, lighthearted historical romance, but I felt like the author held back which left the narrative somewhat dry and underwhelming. It's a clean story, and the characters are very charming. they just needed a bit more oomph.
* * *
Милый, лёгкий исторический роман, однако у меня было ощущение, что автор постоянно себя сдерживала, поэтому сюжет казался сухим и скучноватым. Характеры сами по себе обаятельные, просто автору надо было с ними разыграться, добавить драматизма.
All Things YA: Romance Books 1 3 Jun 12, 2017 05:59PM
Crazy for Young A...: Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey → Start Date: January 8th, 2017 31 20 Jan 27, 2017 10:56AM
  • The Gilded Cage
  • Stone Field
  • Traitor Angels
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • The Passion of Dolssa
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
  • These Vicious Masks (These Vicious Masks, #1)
  • Iron Cast
  • The Steep & Thorny Way
  • All the Feels
  • Outrun the Moon
  • Rebel Mechanics (Rebel Mechanics, #1)
  • The Forbidden Orchid
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • Velvet Undercover
Whenever she is not sitting at the computer, throwing a ball in the backyard, gardening or reading, Cindy can be found--actually, not found--adventuring around the world with her hubby.

She has lived on three continents, had a monkey in her yard and a scorpion under her sink, dwelt among castles and canals, enjoyed the jazz of Beale St and attempted to speak French.

Cindy loves history, mystery an

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
“I shall be considered completely beyond the pale if I am dashed upon the rocks. Aunt will be so uncomfortable. Most inconsiderate of me.” 11 likes
“Please, I do not wish to be rescued by a gentleman. Could you find a farmer or a shopkeep - anyone not of the gentry - and then do me a great favor of forgetting you saw me?” 10 likes