Start by marking “The Perfect Paragon (Agatha Raisin, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Paragon (Agatha Raisin, #16)

The Perfect Paragon

(Agatha Raisin #16)

Duration: 6 hours

Agatha Raisin, recent divorcée, hates adultery cases and pompous Robert Smedley, but needs work. Unfortunately Mabel appears the perfect young wife, a pretty church volunteer. Agatha stumbles across dead missing teen Jessica, and investigates free for publicity. When Smedley dies from poison, Mabel hires Agatha, who brings in old friends, new hires, and fi
Audiobook, Unabridged
Published February 5th 2013 by Blackstone Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Paragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Paragon

Start your review of The Perfect Paragon (Agatha Raisin, #16)
Yvonne
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of listening to another Agatha Raisin adventure (#16!). There’s not much else I can say about this series that I haven’t already said. I do enjoy listening to Agatha’s latest escapades. She can be both a fun and exasperating character.

She’s still too quick to fall in love with any handsome guy she meets. Not to mention that she’s always wondering if they will propose marriage five minutes after she meets them. LOL Plus, there’s still too much talk about her being in her mid-50
Heather Withington
Agatha Raisin stories are the epitome of cosy mysteries, incredibly easy to listen to and follow with characters who are, in the main, fun. In this case, the use of Penelope Keith for the audio book is a stroke of genius, as she is so relaxing to listen to and suits this cast of characters and story to a tee.
There are three cases on the go in this story, with a potentially cheating wife, a murdered teen and then the murder of the man who thought his wife was cheating. Despite the numerous story
Rosemary
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great installment in the life of Agatha Raisin.
Amy
Hmmmm...It may have been the medicine fog I was in, but this was the first time I found myself let down by MC Beaton. I've so enjoyed discovering Agatha and her cronies, and that wonderful village in the Cotswolds. Somehow, this one came across a little formulaic (is that a word? Not sure.) I've been reading the series out of order, so I never know where Agatha will be in terms of her love life and employment opportunities. Now she's running a detective agency, still looking for love, still enra ...more
Gina
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Agatha story! Lots of twists and turns and a couple new characters. I'm liking Charles having a bigger role in her life. Those two are a lot alike and kind of deserve each other. Haha.
Ali
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The sixteenth Agatha Raisin book see Agatha continuing to run her new detective agency. These fun little novels have changed a little, now that Agatha has her agency, the action centres around that more than in Carsley, and she has several members of staff who help her out. We also have 3 seperate (or are they?) cases which need to be solved. Agatha is her dear old self, as if the marvelous Mrs Bloxby and Roy Silver who along with Sir Charles Fraith pop up along the way. There is also an intrigu
Jenny L
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because y ...more
Andree Sanborn
Not as much of Agatha as usual; more of her detective agency characters. Good drama but I figured it out in the first chapter (or second). Agatha's angst has worn me out. I want more of Sir Charles and her: he keeps her honest and real. And now, at the last sentence, we have James Lacy come back to haunt her.

Oh brother.
Banshee
This is one of my favorite Agatha Raisin novels I've enjoyed so far.

Agatha was so much fun in this novel. I loved listening to her complaining about her hip and her denial that its arthritis. Her denial about her age was hilarious as this insecurity leads to some serious jealousy. I initially though I'd hate how Agatha constantly dreams about marriage with men she just meets but I find it amusing. It's just another trait the readers love about her.

The mystery was good with the motive of the mu
Judy Sheluk
I love M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth series...this one featuring Agatha Raisin, not so much. There's a lot of POV shifting, which I don't usually mind, but this is being done in a way that seems like a shortcut to tell readers who's doing what and why, vs. a clever plot choice. That said, Agatha is an amusing character, and it's refreshing to read about a 50-something woman running her business and lamenting about ageing, dating, and life in general.
Sarah Booth
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha has hired some new help and they’ve got quite a couple of mysteries on theirs hands. Could they be related? They all seem to involve an electronics factory as the epicenter.
Agatha is joined by Charles who comes and goes as it suits him. Agatha is still addicted to being in love, but all her luck seems to be in solving crime despite what the Inspector thinks.
This one feels a bit different that the regular formula of the novels and it’s a nice change to meet the new characters.
Carol lowkey.bookish
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just finished listening to another Agatha Raisin. This one was just as entertaining as the rest of the series. I love Agatha with all and her imperfections. She is surrounded by a strong cast of characters that make the story so interesting. 3.75/5
Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind)
Lots of creepiness and murder!
Curlyhair
Another in the quirky Agatha Raisin series. A good decent story, with twists and turns and the old characters and some new ones who fit in quite nicely.
Denise
Agatha is introducing us to a few more characters in this one. I hope they stick around. A few new voices of reason will freshen up the series. Agatha is lovably imperfect and always entertaining.
Dolly
I'm not sure why I keep coming back to this series...
An Odd1
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
After her own divorce, Agatha Raisin, loyal manipulative resourceful detective, hates trailing adulterers, but her agency needs pompous Robert Smedley (view spoiler). The whole village praises his ideal pretty young wife ...more
Nancy
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh sure, wait until the last line of the book to grab my attention. After the way that Agatha’s life has been going, this was definitely an unexpected surprise and it will keep the Agatha Raisin lovers tuned into the next book.

Agatha is feeling a twinge in her hip and refuses to believe that it could be arthritis. Ailments are for old people and being slightly over 50 she is too young. That does not mean that crumbling into old age is her lot in life, but still, with no man and a detective agen
The Flooze
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I do sometimes miss knowing Agatha's every little spiteful thought, I'm very much enjoying the turn the series has taken.

Moving away from the simple (though entertaining) cozy mystery, the stories have blossomed into more complicated tales with varied moving pieces. Agatha no longer detects alone, but with an ensemble of characters. Each of her cohorts brings a different skill and an impressive amount of common sense. Most of them may be amateurs, but their ideas and hunches make them as
Sallee
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is your typical Agatha Raisin book and because I love Agatha, I liked the book. Many people have expressed that her latest ones leave something to be desired but I must disagree. All cozy readers of the many series available must know that authors do have a formula for their books just as romance writers do. Realizing this, you still can enjoy the characters and the story. We are talking about entertainment not Pulitzer Prize quality, folks. And Agatha is always entertaining.
Blue
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, recommended
I love Agatha Raisin books, so no surprise I loved this one, too.

These books are like comfort food for me. Is this the tightest writing, the smoothest use of the written word? Nope. And? I don't care. I love cranky, insecure Agatha, with her bad habits and inability to cook, and her intelligence, drive, and not so well hidden generous heart. Any day I can sink into a book about her adventurs is a day that un-clenches the part of my brain that is hoarding stress.
✨ Gramy ✨
I checked this book out at the same time as 'A Spoonful of Poison', so I read them both to give the author a chance. This one was less desirable, although I do like a series where you continue on with the same characters and learn more about them. It is fillled with odd characters and places that are a bit intriquing. I just wish the main character was not so annoying.
Lynne
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Agatha Raisin books! Totally addictive and fun to read - they always have the knack of making me laugh, and sometimes this is exactly what's needed. An Agatha Raisin book a cup of coffee and some chocolate...or maybe a glass of wine!
Soozee
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy this series - light, ascerbic, entertaining. This one was no exception. The plot was a little predictable in parts, but the characters are so well written, it keeps your attention throughout. Agatha is endearing on paper, although she would probably be quite irritating in person.
Deanne
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
Agatha Raisin is starting to feel old and unloved, plus the business Isn't doing so well, what she needs is a good divorce case, even better the odd dead body wouldn't go amiss either.
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the intertwining stories and the character development; plus the shock ending!
Sarah Morgan
THE RAISIN'S DRIED UP!

This is the first Agatha Raisin book I wasn't compelled to complete within one sitting or one day.

To start with it goes into some very dark territory, particularly for what is meant to be a light hearted series. The lightness is conspicuous by its absence, lacking the dry, spiky wit which has made other instalments such good comic value.

Agatha seems to have lost a lot of her spirit as well, becoming too adept at acting the trapped victim. Its reignition does nothing to impr
Chris
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With business on the slide at her new Private Detective Agency Agatha finds herself forced to take on divorce cases which she loathes for personal reasons. What starts out as a simple controlling husband having Agatha keep tabs on his possibly cheating wife soon turns into a brutal murder case (you knew it was coming). Agatha is joined on her mission to find the murderer by some new recruits including former Police Officer Patrick Mulligan, well past retirement age local photography expert Phil ...more
Edward
Read the series in order if you can.

The sixteenth Agatha Raisin novel is amazing. I've found the series to be, on the whole, great reads, with only an occasional let down.

This time, Agatha is in full swing running her detective agency and they have a serious case on the books. It all starts off with them taking on more divorce cases, in order to make money, and soon leads into a full blown murder case. With her staff, who are all unique in their own way, she sets out to prove she can outdo the p
Marilyn
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha dreads divorce investigations, but her agency is in need of work to bring in some money. She hired a young man named Harry who amazes her by solving all of the missing pet cases in one day. At the suggestion of Mrs. Bloxby, she hires a local photographer who though elderly has a great deal of common sense. Robert Smedley has hired Agatha to prove his wife is unfaithful, but along the way Agatha discovers that Mr. Smedley is romancing his secretary. And the he is found poisoned. Also a you ...more

• Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Date with Poison (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Dix
  • Date with Danger (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Threadbare (A Needlecraft Mystery,#15)
  • Date with Mystery (Dales Detective, #3)
  • Crewel Yule (A Needlecraft Mystery, #8)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Miss Tonks Turns to Crime (Poor Relation, #2)
  • La vie rêvée des chaussettes orphelines
  • Crewel World (A Needlecraft Mystery, #1)
  • Cooks, Crooks and Cruises (Cruise Ship Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • Virgin River (Tome 1 & Tome 2)
  • Les victorieuses
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)

News & Interviews