Start by marking “Baymax Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Baymax Vol. 1

Baymax Vol. 1

(Baymax #1)

Cette année, à l'université de San Fransokyo, tout le monde attend avec impatience de découvrir la nouvelle création de Hiro Hamada, jeune inventeur de génie de quatorze ans : les micro robots, des nano robots capables de prendre n'importe quelle forme. Mais alors que l'avenir lui sourit, Hiro perd son frère dans une expérience secrète ! C'est alors qu'il découvre que ses ...more
Published February 4th 2015 by Pika (first published September 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Baymax Vol. 1, please sign up.
Chance Hansen The location is San Fransisco mixed with Tokyo. Interestingly enough all but one word in chapter 4 is in English. (In the English version.)
I would…more
I would say the art is in a Japanese style, from my knowledge. (Which isn't much of anything.)
If you mean, is the author or the publisher Japanese then it's Yes and Yes.
(less)

Start your review of Baymax Vol. 1
Jon
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one does stray from the movie and it was interesting to see the author's take. I loved the flashbacks and backstories for Hiro, Tadashi and Baymax which really helped make the story fuller. I can't wait for the next volume!
Becky
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ooh man. So good. Soooooooooo good.
Storm Arashi
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Big Hero 6 as a film, and when I heard it was a manga... I initially tried to track it down online... Five pages... No sweat... I could deal with that...

Then I found out the manga came into the US... And retold the story differently..

And it is awesome.

The art is utterly fantastic and tells a story of two brothers, Hiro and Tadashi as Hiro is struggling to become an inventor like his big brother - And driving Tadashi utterly mad.

There are a l
Kayla
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 Stars.

This was a quick, fun and cute read. Wish there was a little more to it but all in all it was an alright manga.
Ylenia
3.5

Really liked it! The art was amazing but the plot didn't convince me completely.
Can't wait to read volume 2 though.
Briana
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars *
I was hoping this would be an alternate version of the Big Hero 6 movie with a new storyline, and while it is different, it didn't live up to my expectations or my love for the movie. You still need to watch the movie in order to get the back story on the other members of the group and their roles. I do like the direction the plot was going in and I'm definitely eager to see where this story goes.
Evelynn
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT! The movie is one of my most favorite Disney films ever, and the original comic was just as good. I was expecting the manga to meet my high expectations, which usually never happens. But you know what? IT DID. The only thing that bugged me was that the plot of the manga strayed so far from the movie's plot.... but I guess it might make for a happy ending later? We'll see!
Teighlor
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I think I'm crying all over again. How dare you hurt me twice Disney? I thought we were friends!
Solace Winter
Not bad, not excellent. Slow to start and yet too quick all at the same time. The only two you have a feel for are Tadashi and Hiro, everyone else is mostly just background. Even Baymax.
Selena
Mixed feelings on this one, tell you the truth.

The good news is that it's super different from the movie. Bad news is it's super different from the movie.

Under no circumstances should you go in expecting a comic version of the movie. For better or worse, the manga version is nothing like the movie.

Maybe it's because this is going to be over the course of several volumes and things will be developed later, but there is no attempt to give you any idea for the ma
Ezra Marcel
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, bighero6
This book is hilarious, which would be great if it was supposed to be.

For those wondering, this is not a manga adaptation of the movie. This is a manga adaptation of some strange alternate universe where a lot of events don't happen and a lot more do. Tadashi's death occurs but the circumstances are drastically different. Alastair Krei does not exist, and neither, does it seem, does Abigail Callaghan. Hiro was actually already enrolled at SFIT in the manga, and Professor Callaghan is not a teac
❄Elsa Frost❄
I think this graphic novel was really good, especially for one based on a movie!

Something I disliked, though, was how Hiro was more like a brat in this story than in the movie. In the movie, he's more of a silly, ridiculous, yet really smart, kid. In this book, he has some big anger issues, has no friends besides his older brother, and is--like I said--a brat. I think he'll eventually learn to be otherwise later on in this graphic novel series, but so far... he's different.
Nixon
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical
It's more of a 3.5, even though I don't use .5's in my rating system.

My fave part was the flashbacks other than that the story was pretty much the same as the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, you might struggle with putting the story together since in the manga they didn't bother going in depth.

They're a few major plot changes that will lead to a different ending which is what I'm looking forward to.

I loved the movie. I think the start of this manga serie
Samantha
Good book! Pretty different from the movie in several ways, but it was interesting to see the new twists. I didn't like Hiro at first (this version of him), but I do understand him as a character overall and I adjusted to the current characteristics.

While there are a few scenes that are exactly the same as what is found in the movie, a lot of liberty was taken with some of the aspects and the plot sequence. I love the movie, and I enjoyed this adaptation of it. It's a pretty quick read overall.
Meagan Cherluck
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh... I cried so much. It's so good, though.
Jenni
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the movie so I had to see if this was as good, and I wasn't disappointed!
آية إسماعيل
Nice Book *_^
Light
When I picked up this manga, I knew it was supposed to be different from the movie; I'd already heard a few spoilers about some of the characterizations and a bit of the plot as well, but as your local Big Hero 6 fan, that wasn't going to stop me from reading the manga. Even though I'm giving it two stars, I don't regret reading it since now that I've read it for myself, I can truly be a bit salty from knowing the source material.

To start off, the manga has quite a few differences fr
Ayamesalami
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was browsing the Manga section of my library. I stumbled upon this book along with a couple other books in the series, and thought to myself : I should read it. And I did.

(STORY)
As I only read the first book, I'd have to say it's VERY very good. The plot is very different from the movie. Tadashi gets sucked into the portal instead of actually dying. Of course, this isn't a spoiler (you can find it on the back of the book). Unlike the movie, Hiro already starts fighting with h
Arnela
The art was well done, definitely more of a manga style than the film [but that's to be expected since the artist for the book mostly does other manga]. I feel the artist was given some liberty with the story, as it obviously differs slightly from the film [and the original comics].

I really liked that they tried to round out the main characters a little more. I know the movie tries that as well, but it only gets like 2 hours to do it. With a graphic novel we can spend a little more time making
Seema ♥Nerdgirl♥
I really liked it but...

I've got to be honest here. It wasn't as fantastic as the movie.
This Big Hero 6 manga is WAY different than the movie. In this one, like what other reviewers said, Hiro seemed to be bratty, which is not him. That wasn't my only issue. Also, in some parts, Tadashi was a bit mean to Hiro ( he even slapped him! :( ), which I hated.
Tadashi Hamada is not like that! He is a kindhearted big brother who never scolds his little brother. Also, his genius adorable little brother
Matthew Hunter
Our family loved watching the movie when it first came out. Ueno managed to translate the humor and sweetness of Baymax to manga, which made the book a big hit with the kids. They enjoyed the newness of reading back-to-front and right-to-left.

My only criticism is more about me and the manga genre than it is about Ueno’s work. I’m almost 50, and more than likely could use an upgrade on my glasses prescription. But man, manga can be hard to decipher, especially during action sequences.
Lyd
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book in our library I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read it our not. In the end I decided I might as well because I liked the movie and I like the style (so cute! :D)
There were a lot of parts in it that I enjoyed that were different from the movie and some parts I didn’t really like. Again—I really appreciated the art and the way everything was laid out in the manga. The plot was just a bit less cliché than the movie which was nice. But it was still pretty similar.
In th
Alessia
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If nothing else, Baymax was the reason I loved this so much. It was just a short and cute story about a brother relationship and how one copes with loss after tragedy.

Sure I thought some of the plot was really rushed and kinda strange, but hey, who hasn't read something like that before. It was cute, so how can I really fault it
Sam Langevin
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was the first graphic novel I've ever read and I really enjoyed it. It was a little confusing at first since you have to read it backwards but you get the hang of it. I really liked how even though it was just a graphic novel and didn't have a ton of text it still told a cool story and it was easy to understand what was going on.
courtney
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
So, I knew going in that it was an adaptation and a little different than the movie, which I was fine with. But man it was like a whole new experience, but in a good way. I was falling in love with the characters all over again in such a raw, new way. Big Hero 6 overall has a deeper meaning for me than most, but I highly recommend this if you enjoyed the movie
Holly
The Manga is different from the movie. I expected subtle changes, not huge changes. I am a bit dissapointed due to the aforementioned huge changes. Thus 4 instead of 5 stars. The art it true to the movie. I will be reading book two to complete the story since my sweet husband picked up both books and I am a completionist.
Caitlyn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Keri Kobussen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paper book review.

Definitely different from the movie story and characters! It threw me off several times. I didn't like Tadashi in this version of the story, and Hiro was so much more dependent on his brother for approval. At one point Tadashi slaps Hiro for saying something in the heat of the moment, and I kept thinking there's no way his character would do that. I would still recommend it, but the movie is way better. Book 1 ends after the 6 get their new suits and they are just a
Kailey Wicked
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Oh wow! I almost cried a lot. This takes a new spin on the Big hero 6 film (I have not read the comics). I like this and I think it's so great! The art style is pretty great. The relationships are so good! Favorite characters: Hiro. Favorite Side character; Gogo!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Big Hero 6 Junior Novelization (Disney Big Hero 6)
  • Elvis and the Underdogs
  • Big Hero 6: The Essential Guide
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • Brawl Stars Unofficial Game Guide
  • Batman Returns
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Vol. 1