Start by marking “Palm's Foster Home for Peculiar Stories” as Want to Read:
Palm's Foster Home for Peculiar Stories

Palm's Foster Home for Peculiar Stories

NIGEL THE LAST BRIT IN INDIA

There is chaos and pandemonium in the streets of Madras, and it is up to Nigel (an officer of the Imperial Police) to restore order to the city... only he hasn't quite learned about India's Independence. Yet.

GAYATRI AND THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY VEGETABLES

When the newest and most successful religion (Cabbagism) threatens to bring about the destruct
Paperback, First Edition , 264 pages
Published April 2nd 2015 by Jellyfish Publications

Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
This was a very different experience for me. I had initially had to say no to a review request from the author because of a backlog of review copies. But his response to the mail was so interesting that I got curious about his writing style and by extension, about this book. So, I gave in and asked for this review copy. And boy, am I glad that I did not miss out on this book!

The book is divided into three parts with short stories incorporated into them. And though at this point I usually summari
Chitralekha
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was reading this during a particularly stressful week, and this book turned out to be that little boost I looked forward to at the end of each long day. Quirky and with a delightful cast of characters, it had me smiling throughout. It's a book best enjoyed with no expectations though: there are talking chickens and evil cabbages and whatnot and you need a bit of a appetite for the ridiculous to enjoy this book! Since I do have a soft corner for nonsense literature and bad puns, this book hit t ...more
Vinay Leo R.
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review @ A Bookworm’s Musing: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2TA

Witty, with just the right amount of humor and fantasy, this is a book that I will re-read. It manages to hold my attention, at least for a couple of stories at a stretch which is acceptable. You can read this book for the variety of fantasy plots it offers.
Sarika Patkotwar
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating- 3.5

Palm's Foster Home for Peculiar Stories is a collection of three short stories titled Nigel- The Last Brit in India, Gayatri and the Church of the Holy Vegetable and Aliens, Dinosaurs, Porcupines written by author C.G. Salamander. Here are my reviews of each story:

Nigel: The Last Brit in India-

Nigel: The Last Brit in India was an amusing and witty story about the last imperial officer in India. At some point or the other, all of us have made fun of colonisation even though
Kritika Narula
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it

There are some books that tickle your funny bone, and make less and less sense as you read them more and more. Such books fall under the genre of fantasy and when the imagination and quirks become inexplicable, you know the ticklish feeling is here to remain for a long, long time!

There's a Brit who doesn't know that India has been granted independence. A brother in law who doesn't Luke to be told what he should do. A religion called cabbagism. A porcupine in love with an armadillo.
It only gets
Aishwarya
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on a free giveaway on this website.
Palm's Foster Home For Peculiar Stories is a book of episodic short fiction, and it is perfect for both readers of short fiction and the novel form. The book has everything from colonization, zombies, porcupines, cults to cows. Anyone who's looking for a vacation from reality, this is the book for you as it is hilarious and extremely unusual.
Amrit Sinha
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
One look at the cover and you know, this is not the usual fare, nothing like the ones you have read before. In fact, this is going to be different. Really different.

Don’t judge a book by its cover, but you can surely pick up one. Judging should be based on what lies enveloped between the front and back covers, and that’s exactly what I will be doing here. Right now!

I was fascinated by the front cover, big time. Turn it around and the back cover looks fascinating too, with the blurb encrypted in
Ramesh
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What on earth did I just read?

I had this book sitting on my shelf for months, and frankly I began reading it very grudgingly (it was a gift from my girlfriend who'd picked it up at Comic con, and the one of the reasons I put off reading this book is because she's got horrible taste). Anyway, enough of my rambling, now it's time for the review.

A moment ago I used the phrase 'what on earth did I just read?', and I stand by it. I'm not entirely sure how to categorize this book, but I'd say it's a
Durgesh Shastri
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
C G Salamander‘s short story collection, Palm’s foster home for peculiar stories is a collection of stories which are peculiar in the right sense. The book is divided into three sections.
Some of the highlights of the book:
1) Smart and innovative writing
2) Stories in each section are interlinked and just when you feel that one has ended, the author manages to spring a surprise by connecting the threads in the next one.
3) The stories are very peculiar and are a perfect example of out of box think
Freya
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
Detailed Review on Life as Freya
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

The title ‘Palm’s foster home for peculiar stories’ I realised as I read the book was bang on, for these are peculiar stories indeed!

The collection has a plethora of characters, all fantastical and fascinating. The story structure in part 1 and 2 are complex, like a little jigsaw, only this one is in 3D and it is only at the end that it all comes into focus.

Salamander through the book moves between persons in
Harold Walters
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
These are indeed peculiar stories. They are phantasmagorical, perhaps even "fantazsmagorical.”

They are surreal and absurdly hilarious…like a Salvador Dali painting come to life and run amok.

By means of these tales, the author offers answers to some of humankind’s age-old questions, not the least of which is this one: What caused the death of the goddess Corsia at the end of the Victorian era when women stopped believing in corsets?

Unfortunately the text is peppered with usage errors and could ce
Jairam Mohan
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Quite a brave attempt at an extremely quirky and funny way of telling a story (actually more than one story). Detailed review put up at https://mahabore.wordpress.com/2015/1...
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
SHRUTI
Apr 21, 2015
  • Lethal Spice
  • The Nidhi Kapoor Story
  • Without You (Sreepuram Series Book 1)
  • The Rise of Hastinapur (Hastinapur, #2)
  • The Emperor's Riddles
  • R.I.P
  • The Lost Shinmahs (Shinmahs, #1)
  • Amreekandesi - Masters of America
  • Fraudster
  • The Hunt for Kohinoor (Mehrunisa Trilogy, #2)
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
  • Compass Box Killer (Inspector Virkar, #1)
  • The Guardian Angels
  • Shakti: The Divine Feminine
  • Journey to Ithaca
  • Fire in the Blood
  • Never Say Never
Short Biography:

C. G Salamander is a fiction writer and a story teller, his short stories and comics have been published in various short story anthologies and journals.

Palms Foster Home for Peculiar Stories is his first book.

Biography:

It was exactly fifteen years ago that C G Salamander realized he was different from all the other Chinese Giant Salamanders. As a child C G Salamander hated livin