Start by marking “Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 4

Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 4 (Alias #4)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  3,059 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
Jessica Jones is a hard-nosed private investigator, and the dark underbelly of the Marvel Universe is her beat. But it wasn't always this way. Once, Jessica stood alongside Earth's Mightiest Heroes, the Avengers, as a costumed super hero. What changed? What ended her crimefighting career before it even got started? Now, for the first time, learn all of Jessica's hidden sec ...more
Published January 19th 2016 by Marvel (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jessica Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessica Jones

Kemper
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one collects the final issues of Marvel’s MAX version of Jessica Jones adventures and while I’m sad it didn’t last longer I also realize that all good things must come to an end. Or in superhero comic books it’s more accurate to say that one good version of the title has to come to an end and then start up again in another version.

Brian Michael Bendis saved the best for last in which he concludes the character arc for Jessica as well as giving us her origin story via flashbacks, and we also
Josu Grilli
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel, 2016-2-agosto
Termino la saga de Jessica Jones con una enorme sonrisa y conociendo por fin más detalles de su vida. Me gusta que el final conecte con la saga que continúa sus historias, y que se hayan incluido un par de one-shots en esta edición.

Recomiendo los cómics de Jessica Jones a todo el mundo. Tienen elementos que pueden atraer a un gran público y no sé, es que estoy fascinado.
HFK
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paidkindle, graphics
And so comes the end of Jessica Jones: Alias graphic journey, although her story continues with Pulse. And as you can see, Bendis finally made me give him the four shiny stars, which I had kept from him for reasons of taste.

First, to me the ending was not that much of a praise because I simply do not enjoy me superheroes. It just is not a subject that gets me all worked up unless it is Garth Ennis and HIS take on superheroes... because... you know. Well, you know HIS take on them, and if you do
Bradley
Killgrave! The Purple Man! Woo Woo!

Okay, so the story isn't *quite* the same as the tv, all the fundamentals are pretty much spot on.

I *do* rather wish I'd been able to see Jessica try to slap the Scarlet Witch or avoid Thor's hammer, though. :) The artwork turning Jessica (as Jewel) into a bright comic character was absolutely freaky, knowing her as we've been getting to know her. I love the contrast and it works so well here, from bright-eyed innocence into abject despair for 8 months. *shiver
Sam Quixote
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Behold: the depressing origin of Jessica Jones! Plus: her traumatic past with Killgrave the Purple Man revealed! Yes, it’s a Marvel comic!

I knew it – I knew there was a great Jessica Jones book to be had somewhere! The first one was ok, the second and third were entirely superfluous (Jessica looks for a runaway teen girl in Vol 2; Jessica looks for a drugged-out runaway teen girl in Vol 3), but this fourth one is where it’s at.

Brian Bendis artfully constructs Jessica’s dark origin, from how sh
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4.5 stars!

Origin story, FINALLY! Killgrave, finally! Plus cameos from so many other superheroes, what more could you want?
Paz R.M.
4.5 Stars
Well, fuck. I finished the run and I can honestly say this is one of my favorite series ever.
Alias made me laugh, made me sick, mad and angry. I was uncomfortable and sad, but then a great line would have me smiling. For 28 issues I was simply fascinated. I loved this volume, the one where we get to learn so much about Jessica and her struggles and sorrows, but I was thinking about rounding this down to 4 stars (view spoiler)
Scarlet Cameo
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Esto se ha acabado (o bueno,hasta hace unos meses así parecía) , y tras tres volúmenes, sólo faltaba ver quien fue Jessica, y porque fue que dejo su vida como heróina.

En esta historia nos encontramos con una Jessica que es alcanzada por su pasado, con aquello que la destruyó, y nuevamente vemos como sale su vena heróica cuando acepta un cara a cara con el hombre de sus pesadillas (a.k.a. purple man, a.k.a. Killgrave), con el objetivo de ayudar a otras personas cuya vida fue arruinada.

Conforme av
Mike
This. The retroactive origin story, right in the middle of Midtown High, this is the genius of Bendis. Cause of *course* Jessica would fit right into this world of fucked-up accidents and experiments - and of *course* she would end up going another way entirely from the guilt-ridden fools of the red-tinged-costume brigade. (Wait, did I just start channeling my inner Doom?)

Through Alias' lens, hearing Ka-Zar tell his origin story in Matt Murdock's office is just hilarious. Like, if you were to he
Sesana
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This is what the other volumes of Alias have been building towards. Full disclosure of Jessica's past as a hero. And Bendis absolutely does not disappoint.

Let's face it, the mind-controlling villain plot has been done many, many times. Even the hero as victim of mind control is old hat. Bendis takes the tried and true past the standard by making the Purple Man not just a credible threat, but a deeply frightening character. And he makes the aftermath on Jessica's side wrenchingly believable. It'
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
Apparently I never marked this one as read more. Sufficiently shitty origins for a superhero, Jessica deals in unconventional ways.
Scott
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow.

Reading this was like (in my mind, at least) experiencing how Rogue One led directly into Star Wars: A New Hope. Is that the best example? I don't know, but it's what occurred to me after turning the final page. Everything makes sense now.

We finally get an origin story (equal parts comedy and tragedy) and now understand some the skeletons in JJ's closet. Although her background was not particularly muddy - though not always well explained - in the previous three volumes there is no
Roy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Purple Man!! Now I see where the source material for the Tv show has come from. Not exactly the same as the tv show but very similar. Loved this story line probably the most during this series.
James DeSantis
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well shit, I loved this series.

So this is the origin story. I think sadly I was spoiled by the TV show on Purple man. Getting a reallllll good look into his mind, who he is, broken, and a screwed up piece of shit. This purple man is far more...dark. As in he gives even less of a fucks (if that's possible) about the human life. It truly is remarkable what the TV show did, and it made me not love purple man in here as much (love to hate. Not love him as a good guy, cause he's not, he's a fucking
Maria
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I only realised I had no clue about how exactly Jessica had obtained her powers the moment I opened this last volume. It was a first step down a memory lane that grew into quite an experience. Again, they managed to create an emotional balance that had its peaks without ever being too much of anything. There was time, and space, for the whole spectrum to play out.

That said, I must confess I shuddered when Killgrave was first mentioned. I believe he was disturbingly well portrayed throughout the
Javier Muñoz
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, comic-hc
En este último tomo de la serie Alias tenemos por fin el relato del origen de Jessica Jones, sus primeros pasos como superheroina así como el motivo por el que se alejó del mundo de los superhéroes para iniciar su carrera como investigadora privada.

Es curioso que el momento que elije Bendis para contar esta historia de origen es justo el final de la serie, normalmente o se cuenta al principio o se deja en el aire. En este caso el misterio que hay alrededor del origen de Jessica Jones es parte im
Anna  (Bananas!)
Much as I want to, I cannot get into this character or comic. I get the impression the Max imprint was edgy for the time but nowadays with all the oddball, interesting, and explicit comics out there, specifically non-DC and Marvel, this falls a little flat for me. So she curses and drinks. Who cares??

Sigh... I really did want to like it more. There was just nothing emotionally investing for me. Luke and Jessica, maybe a little. (And ok, I did skip the middle two volumes but whatever.) Also, they
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
it’s been about a day since i finished this series and i still can’t stop thinking about it.

i can’t say i was a fan of jessica jones before reading alias but i certainly am now.

i can’t think of anything to complain about that isn’t silly or pointless. this was a well developed story that connects in every volume.

i would have like to see how scott and jessica could have furthered their relationship (even though i don’t believe they would have worked). they were an interesting pair but luke cage
Ben Kimpell
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really really good book and series, I just wish it wasn't so fast paced.
Lila
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So...it's not that previous volumes were not good- they are excellent- but I reserved highest rating for last one because it had such a huge emotional impact on me it defined my experience of entire run. Despite not being blown away by first three, this one makes up for in a big way.
So, being first MAX imprint, featuring foul-mouthed character, being gritty and mature...this all stands, but for me Alias will always be about Jessica coming to grips with her past and her fears to come on top at th
Lindsay
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so... umm... that's it? That's the end? But...

This volume finally delved into the Killgrave plotline (aka The Purple Man) and I'm torn. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed this more or less if I hadn't already watched the show on Netflix. As far as villains are concerned, he was much more... real... in the show. I mean, purple doesn't really strike terror into the hearts of evil doers, y'know what I mean? His ability is still one of the better ones out there, and there's this one scene w
David Schaafsma
A great finish to this series, where Bendis and artist Gaydos (with help from other artists) pulls out all the stops to help you explain why it is Jessica got out of being a superhero (and in Bendis's conception, out of being an Avenger, which helps explain her appearance in Bendis's relaunch of The New Avengers…). So she went to high school with Peter Parker, and her great nemesis became The Purple Cape (the once foil of Daredevil), a pretty effectively scary guy whose power is to control your ...more
Heatherblakely
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was the jumping off point for the Netflix series, and even though I've watched the show and knew most of the content in this, I really enjoyed it. There's Jessica backstory as well as explorations into Jessica's relationships with other super people, plus the Killgrave story. I like this series because the progression is similar to that of a tv show--the first volume was like a pilot episode, with a brief introduction of the characters and settings, and the subsequent volumes were the more ...more
Jonathan
Ok so, first things first. I genuinely like the whole Alias series. It's got to be one of my favorite Marvel series ever. The feel of the whole thing is unlike anything else I've read from Marvel to this point.

I did have some exposure to this character before reading Alias because I read the Pulse collection first. I have also watched a few episodes of the Netflix series.

This volume does a fairly good job of tying up some loose ends and questions I had from previous volumes as well as bringing
Raquel -
Superhéroes y villanos reales. Por fin puedo encontrar una heroína que valga la pena y un villano que inquiete de verdad. Las emociones que manifiestan los personajes son más reales pero no dejan de lado el mundo fantástico de Marvel. Además encontramos historias sobre superpoderes donde los disfraces no nos cuentan tanto como los sentimientos de su protagonista. Tal vez parte del encanto de Jessica Jones sea que está destinado a un público más adulto donde el sarcasmo, el sexo, las palabrotas y ...more
Miri
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Damn. Pretty epic storylines in volume four. I really enjoyed the different styles used for the flashbacks, particularly the origin story. And I just love Jessica Jones. I was about to despair because this is the last volume in the series, but she continues in The Pulse, so I guess I have three more volumes of that before I have to mourn.
Amy
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We finally see where Jessica Jones came from/got her powers/why she quit being a costumed superhero. Her time with Kilgrave is covered here (it's a little different than what they do on the TV show).

As always, I'm not a big fan of the artwork (though they get fancy with a different look for the flashback to her time as Jewel), but I love Jessica so I just accept her bloated face.

Now: to read the next chapter of Jessica's saga: Pulse!
Elizabeth Chesak
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
May change it to 4 stars later... this was so good, especially the parts about trauma and how it is never your fault.

...on an unrelated note, was the show adapted from pretty much only this volume?! That's soooo weird. This is the only book in the whole series with the Purple Man. I mean, Hope was in the first book, but the majority of stuff I associate with this character is from this volume. Interesting. I mean, there's certainly a lot of material to work with here...
Amy
3-stars for this volume, 4-stars for the overall set of 4. There was waaaay too much Marvel crossover crap - so much so that it almost seemed to be making fun of itself when Kilgrave made a comment about it.
Personally I think the trauma was handled more realistically in the TV show but it was still pretty good here.
Anna
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing end. I want more though. I NEEDS IT!
  • Black Widow, Volume 2: The Tightly Tangled Web
  • X-23: Target X
  • The Sentry
  • Hawkeye, Volume 4: Rio Bravo
  • X-Factor, Vol. 3: Many Lives of Madrox
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)

More about Brian Michael Bendis

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things