Start by marking “VIP: I'm With the Band” as Want to Read:
VIP: I'm With the Band

VIP: I'm With the Band

(VIP #1)

Twelve-year-old Mackenzie "Mac" Lowell's dreams have come true. Thanks to her mom scoring the coolest job EVER, Mac is going from boy band fanatic to official tour member of her favorite group, Perfect Storm. Good thing she's brought along her journal so she can record every moment, every breath, and every one of lead singer Zander Welling's killer smiles in written detail ...more
Published December 1st 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about VIP, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Thuraya Salem no its more of realistic fiction

Start your review of VIP: I'm With the Band
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Have you ever been absolutely in love with a boy band? And then you discover you get to meet them because your mom is their new manager?! Not only that, you get to go on a road tour with them!?

Well, that is exactly what happens to Mac in I'm With the Band. As far as she is concerned she is Perfect Storms #1 fan. Of course, drama happens and it is up to Mac to save the day!

Oh my goodness people, this book is so much fun! I am well over the intended age range for this book (it is a middle grade no
BookCupid
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, own
Who can resist boy bands?

Certainly not Mac who has been a huge fan of Perfect Storm (PS) before they were a hit. Mac knows everything about them -- from eating habits to favorite colors -- and dreams of going to her Spring Fling dance with the lead singer, Zander. But when a sudden turn of events causes Mac's mom to get hired as PS' tour manager, Mac will not only get to daydream about the band, she will spend the next two months with them 24/7. Will this personal encounter change her image of t
Jeff Raymond
I don't know why the "I'm with X famous people" stories feel like a throwback these days, given that they still have a lot of life in sports books for kids, but I'm With the Band, the first entry in a new middle grade series, does both feel modern while also feeling like a throwback. It follows the tale of a girl, Mac, and how she is a major fan of a pop band that is touring. Her mother is hired on as the tour manager, and suddenly everyone is going on tour with the band. Mac gets to know the ba ...more
Zoe (Book Hooked)
This honestly gets your dreams of going on tour with One Direction, 5SOS, The Jonas Brothers, The Vamps etc. way too high😂 This is a middle grade and I’m STILL obsessed with this series! It follows a girl Mac who gets to go on tour with her favorite boy band. And man is it just incredible! It was so much better than what I thought it would be the first time I read it. I have reread it so many times now it’s just truly amazing!
Mehsi
5+ stars! SQUUEEEEE!!! Um, oops, sorry, but this book is just too adorbs, and I loved each and every bit of it!!!

Before I start with all the good stuff, I want to mention that the blurb is pretty much lying. She doesn't really see the guys as her brothers, her love interest is just moving to another boy, because she finds out Zander isn't what she thought he was, and she finds that, and more, in another member.
Secondly, that part about the band breaking up? Over an argument? Mac having to save t
Michelle Wrona
This review can also be found on A Thousand Lives Lived, check it out for more!

My sister is obsessed with this series, guys. My sister is not a reader whatsoever unless my mom tells her to read, so her adoring VIP: I'm With the Band was something new and interesting for me because I am the reader in the house. Who would have known that she would get an obsession with Perfect Storm, a fictional band that features three cute guys who are around my current age, fifteen (almost sixteen!) and who kee
Libby Martin
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As an unashamed lover of boy bands, this book was a super fun read. I grew up with posters of BSB and Hanson on my walls, and I have all of the One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer albums on my iPod. So, really, it wasn't a surprise to me that I enjoyed this book.

read the rest of my review on my blog! http://libtastic.wordpress.com
Danielle H
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, middle-grades
A very fun (albeit predictable) book that I know my students will love. I will also be making a lot of adults read it because of reasons.
Alyssa Mayley
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book!

Now, I must say this book is definitely for middle-grade readers, which is typically too young for my personal taste. However, the premise 'fan-girl tours with her favorite band' struck a cord in my long-forgotten pre-teen/teenage heart.

Nostalgia? Yes, please!

I had a blast reliving memories of being a teenager and the summer I fell head-over-heels in love with the band members of *NSYNC. I can still remember wasting hours away daydreaming about going on tour with them and ridin
Round Lake Area Public Library
Twelve-year-old Mackenzie Lowell goes on the road with her favorite boy band when her mom gets a job as the band’s tour manager.

This is such a fun series for any pre-teen or boy-band-loving girl! Mackenzie and her friends are obsessed with Perfect Storm, a group of three boys who sing catchy love songs and who are adorned by girls everywhere.

For anyone who loves boybands, this will be a treat and will be familiar for what comes along with the territory of adoring a group of singers. Mackenzie
Brianna
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**See reading timeline** I was right! Now..who owes me 30 bucks???? Huh. Oh well. AAAAANYwho, this read was GREAT. I mean, like, LEGIT THE BOMB. I loved it, and while I can't relate to Mac because I've never crushed on a band, I (almost) always find a way to disappear into a book. I couldn't put it down!!!!! WITH FIVE EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!BOOM!!! REFERENCE POINT ACHIEVED.
**Mic Drop.
**Leaves room.
WHOO!!!!!!THAT FELT GOOD.
Deunara Silva-Hewage
This is a really good book, and I read it in 2 days. Haha, its romantic but not too intense. Its cute and I know a lot of people who can relate to it. I gave it 3 stars because I feel like there were some scenes that were a bit unnecessary and irrelevant to the story. BUT KYLE AND MAC ARE THE CUTEST LMAO
Michelle Fowler
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bought this book to put in my elementary school library. Thought I would read it first. What a great story for my students to read. Who hasn't been on love with a boy band at one time in their life and dreamed of going on your with them. It was a funny, energetic and wholesome story! Can't wait to add it to the library!!
Hyein
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really recommend this book before you read Battle of the Band. This book is about Mac's favorite boy band. Her mom had been a manager of Perfect Storm(Mac's favorite boy band). Mac and PS traveled and did a concert. Mac really enjoyed it. PS was about to broke up the band, but Mac fixed it! It 's a really fun book, so I recommend it to everyone.
Amelia Hinkle
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG I love this book!! It is even better than dork diaries and is so fun to read! I love the twist ending at the end and how wholesome the whole book was. I loved all of the characters, the pictures, and the storyline. As soon as I was done I made my mom go right on and buy the second one! I definitely reccomend.
Kaitlyn  Zambrana
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Like, the girl gets to go with her dream band? Yes she dies! Awesome! Also, this is not a spoiler, you find this out in the first few pages, and when you read the back of the book, so don't worry. I definitely recommend reading this book and reading the other books in this series!
Marisa
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-life
I LOVED this book! I would definitely recommend this book to Dork Diaries fans. It is about a girl who's mom gets a job working for the girls favorite boys band.
Sundus
Sep 17, 2019 added it
Suzanne
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
For anyone who has ever had a crush on a star - music star, movie star, sports star - this story will recapture some of the swooning and hysteria of being a fangirl. Mackenzie and her two best friends, Scarlet and Iris, are crazy about the band Perfect Storm. They flip out when they get tickets and backstage passes to the concert. But what Mac doesn't know is that her mom has been chosen as the band's new tour manager and she is taking Mackenzie along on tour with the band. Squee! Traveling for ...more
Liralen
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, z-2016, ya, reviewed
I love Calonita's YA stuff—the Hollywood Life books in particular always seem like just the right amount of feel-good fluff—but I think I'm a bit far out of the age range for her MG books. Spent much of this one trying to remember whether I read this sort of thing when I was younger (the really fluffy, really cheesy things where they're all like 'omg boyz boyz boyz' but because it's MG the stakes are, like, 'will he hold my hand and let my mom drive us to the mall??'), and...I must have? At some ...more
Sharon
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, bea15
4th&up
A-freakin'-dorable! Diary entries with scattered illustrations and a realistic pre-teen voice make this series starter impossible to resist.
Mac, the self-declared #1 fan of the up and coming boy band Perfect Storm (ala One Direction) finds out that she will be touring with the band thanks to her mother's new job as their tour manager.
Along with being tons of fun, this book also subtly reminds readers that celebrities are real people as well- with real foibles, strengths, feelings, and pers
Sidney Burbridge
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book was so good! i'm totally going to read this book again. i recommend this to any one and every one. i think it was my favorite book of 2016.
Birdie Reader
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
An admirable attempt to write an MG boy-band romance, but it didn't work. It was definitely a "just ok" book (hence the two star rating). It was't horrible, but I didn't love it either.

Pros:

There are comics and artwork strangled throughout the book. The artwork added to the story, and the comics are a fun addition.

Cons:

Like most books with pop star and regular girl pairings, suspension of disbelief is a requirement. However, VIP: I'M WITH THE BAND was too outlandish.

The main characters didn't f
Engel Dreizehn
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-2016
Trying to ignoring the nick picking side of the musical-wisdom me...ok that wouldn't happen like that in the real music industry, for ex. guests even daughters of the promoters etc mostly will be banned from the green room etc. However I understand why the age group would like this kind of fantasy (which is what this book is a fantasy for fan girls that age that dream of cute boy bands). Did giggle at the fact the author did get the crazed fangirl demography/examples down right-accurate, the mai ...more
Gail Lynch
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
VIP: I'm with the Band made me feel like I was a young girl again. Mac is such a great character you couldn't help root for her all the way through. Mac gets to travel with her favorite boy band. A dream come true! Now can she get over her nerves and actually talk to her major crush, the lead singer, and maybe get him to go with her to her first school dance? I passed this book on to my students. I know they will love it!
I won my copy from Goodreads First Reads.
Robyne
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun tween read. All Mac's dreams come true when her music exec mom is hired to tour with her favorite teen boy band. Suddenly Mac is rubbing elbows with the boys of her dreams. However all is not well with this group and hopefully Mac can help them remember why they belong together. This story had me feeling nostalgic for my NSYNC obsessed childhood. It was fun to see the behind the scenes antics of this band and to see Mac get to know her idols as people.
TH
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got the book ahead of time because my librarian writes reviews. Anyway, this book is amazing! It's the same idea as dork diaries except with some modern references in it. It's basically about a girl that goes on a tour with the band that she likes, and she gets to know the true personality of the band members
Alyssa Tabor
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
From a literary standpoint, this book does not deserve four stars. The stars are strictly for my enjoyment of the novel. It has the feel of a Disney Channel movie and made me inner thirteen year old extremely happy. This novel is very gushy and not for everyone, but it was a fun break for me from the consistently depressing middle grade novels.
Samantha
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually really liked this book. It was cheesy, and too young for me, but still, it was fun. It had some social drama, it had some natural consequences, and the main character learned that what you wanted once might not be what you want now. It was cute.
JS
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it

• The Tapper Twins Go to War (with Each Other) (The Tapper Twins, #1)
  • Making Friends (Making Friends, #1)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Happily Ever After! (Dork Diaries, #8)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Glam TV Star (Dork Diaries, #7)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen (Dork Diaries, #9)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Secret Crush Catastrophe (Dork Diaries, #12)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Happy Heartbreaker (Dork Diaries, #6)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All (Dork Diaries, #5)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Graceful Ice Princess (Dork Diaries, #4)
  • Tales from a Not-So-Happy Birthday (Dork Diaries, #13)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey
  • Descendants 2 Evie's Fashion Book
  • The Tapper Twins Go Viral (Tapper Twins, #4)
  • Perfect Little Children
  • Tales from a Not-So-Talented Pop Star (Dork Diaries, #3)
  • Kristy's Big Day
  • The Line Tender
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
Hi Goodreads!
I'm Jen Calonita, a MG and YA author who loves what I do because it lets me connect with all of you (and no, I wasn't intending for that to rhyme!).

I've been writing ever since I can remember, but it was fourth grade when I put my "three wishes" for a genie down on paper. They were:
#1. Buy all the Cabbage Patch Kids in the world and give them away for free (because apparently that wa

VIP (2 books)