Start by marking “A Chance of a Lifetime (Tallgrass, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Chance of a Lifetime (Tallgrass, #5)

A Chance of a Lifetime

(Tallgrass #5)

Sometimes love finds you when you least expect it...

To Benita Ford, Tallgrass, Oklahoma, will always be home. It's where her beloved grandmother raised her and where she rode bikes with her two best friends—the man who became her husband and Calvin. And Tallgrass is where she stayed, even after her husband died while serving his country. Now Calvin is home from that same w
Mass Market Paperback, 361 pages
Published December 22nd 2015 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about A Chance of a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Chance of a Lifetime

Sue
I won a copy of A CHANCE of a LIFETIME by Marilyn Pappano, through the Goodreads Giveaway Contest. This was a refreshing change as I usually read mystery, suspense, psychological thrillers. I found myself relaxing and being drawn into the story, through her characters and their journey.

"A Chance of a Lifetime,"is the fifth book in the Tallgrass series, but the first book I have read in the series. While I am sure I missed out a lot of background information on the characters, I was still able to
Susan
This was a terrific romance with a deeply emotional side to it. Benita, J'Myel, and Calvin grew up together in Tallgrass, three friends who went through the good and the bad together. J'Myel and Calvin enlisted in the Army together, promising to always have each other's backs. But multiple deployments brought changes to them both, including J'Myel's marriage to Benita. Then J'Myel and Calvin grew apart, destroying the link among the three, ending in J'Myel's death. Now Calvin is back in Tallgras ...more
Sophia
The last book in the series ended on an ominous note with a prodigal son hitting absolutely rock bottom and knowing that 'you can't go back' is no longer an option. Calvin Sweet is coming home and Benny Ford might get to hear 'why' after all the years. And let's not forget Lucy and Joe whose story has been percolating in the background of the last few books. This was probably my most anticipated Tallgrass book yet and I was not disappointed when I closed the last page.

This is the fifth book in
Arlena

Rating: Five
Review:

"A Chance of a Lifetime" by Marilyn Pappano

My Thoughts....

This series really puts more icing on the cake as this is this author's fifth in the Tallgrass series that features Benita Ford and Captain Calvin Sweet from Tallgrass Oklahoma. The reader will be presented with a story that will be with the reader long after the read. This read will take the reader to thre
Elizabeth
Dec 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Reviewed for NetGalley:

So, this book really felt like it had two main romances in it. The first one was interesting, we find out the fate of the soldier from the last book who was incredibly depressed and suicidal. It was an interesting story, one that needs to be told. How PTSD can effect someone and ways they can deal with it, and try to get help.

The other story was about Lucy. She finally got to be a sort of main character, and here's the thing. How Pappano has talked about Lucy has always a
Ellen Anderson
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely hooked on this series

Unfortunately Marilyn Pappano could never write this series fast enough to please me. It is one that I find totally engrossing. The way it brings all of the characters of the Tuesday Night Margarita Club, their families, past and present together in each book, yet manages to concentrate so well on one or two members and their lives at the time.
So glad to finally see Lucy and Joe realizing their mutual feelings are actually returned. I must say though, Bennie and C
Shirley Wine
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another installment in a fabulous series

I've really enjoyed The Tallgrass books by Marilyn Pappano. In this book we follow the lives, the trials and tribulations of army widows as they face the challenges of picking up the threads of life and facing the challenges of life alone after their men went to war....and didn't return. Pappano has a real gift for creating warm realistic people that make readers care about them ... Cry for them and laugh for them... Highly recommended to all readers looki
Kathy Heare Watts
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FINDING LOVE WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT

The story is the fifth book in the Tallgrass series but can read well as a stand-alone. Two people, both healing, both scarred, and needing each other. Can these childhood friends find love with each other? Can Bennie help Calvin with the demons that are haunting him?

I won an advanced reading copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am
Donna Schwartz
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as it was written about an African American couple and their families! I also appreciated the insight it gave me into PTSD from a soldier's point of view. Not something I've had exposure to. Great book!
Ellen Thielen
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series focuses on a military town where a group of women are trying to take back their lives after being widowed by war. In this story one soldier comes back with serious ptsd issues. One of the widows takes a chance in both her personal life, and in her career only to have a health scare.
Kim
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I liked Bennie and Calvin, but had to seriously question how Bennie just stopped speaking to Calvin because J'Myel said so. I can't really see that happening if they were the great best friends they were described to be, so I had a hard time with that. But, I liked this more than the last couple before it and I'm glad the flip flop talk was curtailed here. It kind of made me realize I've continued reading the series to get Lucy's story.
Pat
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't really buy the easy transition of brotherly love to romantic love between the main characters Calvin and Benita. I thought Joe and Lucy's romance was more interesting.
Barbara
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great book in The Tallgrass series!
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN #9781455561582
Author’s website: http://www.marilyn-pappano.com/index....
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jerjen

Synopsis:

Sometimes love finds you when you least expect it…

To Benita Ford, Tallgrass, Oklahoma, will always be home. It’s where her beloved grandmother raised her and where she rode bikes with her two best friends—the man who became her husband and Calvin. And Tallgrass is where she stay
Catherine (The Sassy Bookster)
Warning: If you are looking for a lighthearted and fun romance, this is not the book for you. However, if having your heart squeezed just a little bit as you experience a bundle of heavy emotions is something you're up for, then by all means read this book.

Captain Calvin Sweet never thought that he would return to Tallgrass, at least not alive, but he's back where the memories of a happy childhood and childhood friendships haunt him on every corner and where the regrets of those lost friendships
Kathy
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

A Chance of a Lifetime by Marilyn Pappano is a moving novel of friendship, family and love. This latest installment in the Tallgrass series focuses on healing the invisible wounds of war as well as the hurts of the past when Calvin Sweet returns to Oklahoma.

Calvin, Benita "Bennie" Ford and J'Myel Ford grew up together and the three were inseparable. Calvin and J'Myel joined the Army following high school while Bennie remained in Tallgrass. A rift between Calvin and J'Myel ended their c
Marsha Spohn
Originally reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

I believe it’s impossible for an outsider to truly understand what the men and women serving our country go through in order to keep the rest of us safe. At times (if not all the time), the families of those who serve go through a different side of war that cannot be imagined outside of that group. I feel we can empathize, and try to understand but we can’t, not really. One of the reasons I have loved Marilyn Pappano’s Tallgrass series is the sense of bein
Barbara
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2016
- I received a copy of this book from the publisher via a Goodreads giveaway

Having received this book from the publisher, I was not familiar with this series prior to reading this 5th instalment. While this may have hindered me from fully enjoying some of the background characters (the Margarita girls), I was still able to fully enjoy this book as a standalone.

"A Chance of a Lifetime," the fifth book in the Tallgrass series by Marilyn Pappano, centres around our main romance: Bennie, a nursing s
Darcy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, romance, e-book, 2016
Melinda M
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Chance of a Lifetime is a book that includes real life ups and downs and life in a small community. This is part of a series sat in Tallgrass, OK and is the fifth in the series. Captain Calvin Sweet comes home and is dealing with PTSD among other things. Meanwhile the other two thirds of his group from high school are not doing well either. His best friend marries the girl, Benita Ford, and got killed in action. Benita Ford and Captain Calvin Sweet need each other but there are all types of pr ...more
Beyond the Pages
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time getting into this book. There was so much going on, and I, quite honestly, felt lost. What I thought was going to be a straight forward story turned out to be multiple storylines weaved into one big community of lives.

What I liked (and had a special appreciation for) was the veteran/PTSD angle. I loved that. I also liked the good guy returning home to get the girl concept. What I did not care for was the drawn out love story. It was a tedious journey to get to the meat
Melissa
This was such a sweet book about 2 old friends getting to know one another again after a lot of time went by. Bennie lost her husband and her best friend serving his country. Calvin was serving his country, too, and came home to see what life is after his military career is over. Calvin was best friends with both Bennie and her husband. They both of issues to get through so they can find their way to one another.

The story between Lucy and Joe was different than what was happening with Calvin and
Ann
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read most of the books in this series and one thing about Marilyn Pappano is that she doesn't write cutie fluffy romances. Her hero's are almost always combat veterans who return home changed men. Her ladies have all faced adversity and are learning to deal with the life they've been handed. We follow two couples in this book, Calvin and Bennie who have been friends since they were nine years old, Bennie's dead husband was their third musketeer. Calvin is leaving the army because of PTSD . ...more
Jaime ~ Fiction Fangirls
I enjoyed this book and was happy to see Bennie and Calvin get the happiness they both deserved, even if they have a long road ahead of them. I was also happy to read more about Lucy and Joe.
This is my favorite aspect of this series, you don't just get one storyline in each book you get a broader look at the people and the town of Tallgrass. It's easy to become invested in the characters when you get glimpses of them in each book.

*I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest revie
Jenn O'Brien
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It is always fun to escape to the town of Tallgrass and find which one of the Margarita Girls is going to find happiness next. There are no surprises here, if you have been reading the series, you know one of girls is going to heal her broken heart and find joy again. I do enjoy the women in these books and their support of one another. Sure, they have a common bond of loss, but the friendships are true heart in these books.

I loved Gran and Mama in this story. It would be great to see a stand al
Janeiowa
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another intense read from Ms Pappano

Marilyn Pappano writes of returning from Afghanistan and Iraq US soldiers and the issues they bring home with them, and the women who have become the Tuesday Margarita Club...aka the Fort Murphy Widows Club.

I would suggest reading this Tallgrass series in order, as characters do reappear. Can it be read as a stand alone? Yes, of course, but I like knowing about some of the reappearing characters.

This book involves two women from the Margarita Club, Lucy and B
Virginia
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
A strong hero with a BIG weakness, PTSD is rarely talked about and needs to be. There was roo easy a resolution of the whole dead husband turning away from Calvin but still a good story. A lot of family feel in this one. I love the way the main romance is not the only story and not the only romance. I love when a series overlaps stories.
Broughps
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know authors like to keep readers coming back, but I'm getting really tired of getting to the end of a book and feeling like a chapter or two has been left out. Authors please learn to give a story a conclusion instead of just not writing any more.
Chris Conley
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Focusing attention on the very real problems of our returning service men and women is such a wonderful plan for these books. Each of these stories is a real tribute to these folks and their loved ones.
Karen
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has got to be my favorite addition to this series and that's saying something as I've really enjoyed them all. A well written and well developed storyline with both a H and h dealing with issues that are explained realistically and honestly. Well done.

• A SEAL Forever (West Coast Navy SEALs, #3)
  • The Wedding Ring Quest
  • The Sweetheart Rules (Sweetheart Sisters, #2)
  • Blamed (Blood Money #1)
  • Shelter Me (Second Chance Ranch, #1)
  • Down Range (Shadow Warriors, #2)
  • Carolina Man (Dare Island, #3)
  • Hometown Hero (Hometown Alaska Men, #2)
  • One Love: A Multicultural Romance Boxed Set
  • Catch and Release (Fishing for Trouble, #3)
  • Love and Danger Box Set (Love and Danger #1-4)
  • Inseverable (Carolina Beach, #1)
  • Beautiful Potential
  • Starting from Scratch
  • His Christmas Gift
  • The Good Fight (Time Served #3)
  • Phoenix Feather
  • Interlude - An Illusion Series Novel
Award-winning and bestselling author, international traveler, feted at a Hollywood premiere . . .

All true . . . but my regular life is a whole lot more routine. Deal with the five big puppers who share our house, babysit our grandson, battle the jungle that is our yard, pray for summer in winter and dream of winter in summer, and hunker down at the computer -- that's my real life.

I grew up in Okl

Tallgrass (6 books)
  • A Hero to Come Home To (Tallgrass, #1)
  • A Man To Hold On To (Tallgrass, #2)
  • A Love to Call Her Own (Tallgrass, #3)
  • A Promise of Forever (Tallgrass, #4)
  • A Summer to Remember (Tallgrass #6)