Jump to ratings and reviews

Cedar Ridge #2

My Kind of Wonderful

UNEXPECTED AND UNDENIABLE...

Bailey Moore has an agenda: skiing in the Rockies, exploring castles in Europe, ballroom dancing in Argentina. Now that she has a second lease on life, she's determined not to miss a thing. What she doesn't realize is that item #1 comes with a six-foot-one ski god hot enough to melt a polar ice cap. She doesn't want to miss out on him either, but Hudson Kincaid isn't the type of guy to love and let go. And as gorgeous as Cedar Ridge is, she's not planning to stick around.

As head of ski patrol at his family's resort, Hud thinks he's seen it all. But never has he run into someone like Bailey. She might look delicate, but her attitude is all firecracker. And her infectious joy touches something deep within him that he's been missing far too long. Now he'll just have to convince Bailey to take a chance on her biggest adventure yet . . . something rare and all kinds of wonderful.

368 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published December 22, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jill Shalvis

350 books12.6k followers
Multiple New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jill Shalvis lives in a small town in the Sierras full of quirky characters. Any resemblance to the quirky characters in her books is … mostly coincidental. Look for Jill’s bestselling, award-winning heartwarming and full of humor novels wherever books are sold and visit her website for a complete book list and blog detailing her city-girl-living-in-the-mountains adventures. Her newest Sunrise Cove novel, THE BACKUP PLAN, will be out on January 17th, and THE SWEETHEART LIST comes out in June!

Look for Jill's bestselling, award-winning novels wherever books are sold. Visit http://www.jillshalvis.com for a complete book list and fun blog detailing her city-girl-living-in-the-mountains adventures.

Connect with Jill:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
163 (2%)
1 star
33 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 684 reviews
Profile Image for Carol [Goodreads Addict].
2,272 reviews24.7k followers
March 14, 2016
My Kind of Wonderful is book two in the Cedar Ridge series by Jill Shalvis.

I completely fell in love with the first book in this series, Second Chance Summer, which focused on Aiden and Lily and the Kincaid family and the ski resort they co-own and run at Cedar Ridge, Colorado. So there was no doubt that I would equally love getting to know the first of the twins, Hudson Kincaid.

Colorado Ski Patrol in its element:

Hudson and his twin brother are half siblings to the other three Kincaids. They and their mother are the product of a fling their father had had. Their mother did the best she could to raise them alone but she also had her own challenges. At an early age, she started to lose her grip on reality, suffering from early onset dementia. She was at times lucid and in the present, but at other times, she lived in the past. At the age of twelve, they discovered the existence of their siblings and were accepted into their open arms, where they stayed. Now, four of the Kincaids run the ski resort, the fifth, Jacob, Hudson’s twin, is not there. He has been gone for ten years, since their 18th birthday. And Hudson blames himself.

Ski Resort Colorado:

Hudson has a full plate, more like an over flowing plate. He runs the ski patrol, works part time in town as a cop, and takes care of his mother who is now properly cared for in a local facility. He has someone full time looking for his brother, trying to find out if he’s okay. So, there is no time for anything or anyone else. But then Bailey happened.

My Kind of Wonderful Jill Shalvis:

Bailey Moore has a future to plan. That is more than she could ever have hoped for. Since the age of fifteen, Bailey has suffered from cancer. With constant treatments with grim outlooks, she was told more than once that her days were limited. But now, as of her first three month check up, she is cancer free. For the first time ever, Bailey can plan. She has a list of things she wants to do, to experience. The first is to paint a mural. Bailey is a graphic artist by trade. But she can also paint. Hudson’s mom has hired her to paint a mural at Cedar Ridge of their family. But Bailey won’t take payment for this. She has to do this for herself. It was on her first morning there that she met the oh so heartstoppingly handsome ski patrol, Hudson. It didn’t take long for the electricity to spark between these two.

“There was something about her, something that made him smile, made him think, made him…yearn.”

My Kind of Wonderful Jill Shalvis:

Both of these two are flummoxed by their attraction to each other. Neither was looking for something right now. Hudson has no more room in his life and Bailey has a life to live. A list of things to cross off. Maybe, though, she could have just one night. Experience a night of real passion, something she’d never been able to have. Passion with a man that wants her because he can’t fight his attraction to her, that doesn’t feel like he has to be careful with her. But, can one night ever be enough?

“Uh-huh,” she said dryly. “Because you have no idea what you’re doing right?”
He was still smiling but his eyes were suddenly very serious. “When it comes to you? No,” he said. “With you, I’m so far out of my league I can’t even see the league.”

Hudson and Bailey stole my heart from the start. Hudson carried the weight of his entire family on his shoulders. He carried the guilt for his brother’s absence. He felt he owed this family everything for taking he and his brother and mother in and loving them. He would do everything in his power to repay them. Bailey you can’t help but love. This woman has suffered for so long and for the first time, is given the promise of life. And live it she will. What wasn’t on that list was falling in love.

“I thought maybe I made some of this up in my head.” He murmured.
“Some of what?”
“How beautiful you are. I didn’t. You undo me, Bailey.”

Bucket list:

In pure Jill Shalvis form, you will be swept away in this book. In her moments of lucidity, it is apparent just how much Hudson’s mom loves her son. That alone stole my heart, along with Hudson’s devotion, well, all of the Kincaid children’s devotion to her. And the journey of Hudson and Bailey made my heart smile, then break, then smile again, as these two found their way. I am beginning to think that it is not possible to not love Jill Shalvis’s books. I am not a skier, believe me. Nor do I enjoy cold weather. But this book made me yearn for the mountains of Colorado. I can’t wait to read the next book which will be the long lost brother, Jacob’s story, Nobody But You, as Jacob finally finds his way home and back to the family that loves him.

signature
Profile Image for ✦❋Arianna✦❋.
790 reviews2,493 followers
January 4, 2016
4 Stars!!

description

“My Kind of Wonderful” is the second book in Jill Shalvis's newest series entitled “Cedar Ridge” and like the previous installment was a sweet contemporary romance that made me smile and swoon and fall in love not only with our two main characters, but also with all the supporting characters and the small, gorgeous town - Cedar Ridge. It seems this author has the perfect formula for a great clean contemporary romance – a great strong heroine, a swoon worthy hero, entertaining supporting characters and a lovely romance that will make you melt in a puddle of goo. “My Kind of Wonderful” tells the story of another Kinkaid man, Hudson and the woman who will stole his heart.

“It’s okay to live, she reminded herself. Okay to be happy and excited.
And there was no doubt she was both, she thought, still staring at him.”

Bailey Moore never had the chance to experiment much of anything in life. Not because she didn’t want to or because she was a coward, but because for the last ten years she was sick, really sick. She’s been given a new lease on life and she she’s beyond grateful. She wants to really live, to experiment things, to visits different places, to be independent, to do something with her life.

She works as a graphic designer, but she also loves to paint, painting being very important to her. When she is hired to paint the mural at the sky resort in Cedar Ridge, she’s very excited and more than ready for an adventure.

Hudson Kinkaid is the head ski patrol and also a Cedar Ridge cop. With his two jobs, a big family and a mother who suffers from dementia and also with some big regrets that seem to destroy his spirit more and more, Hud doesn’t have much time for anything else. He obviously has many responsibilities, so a relationship is at the bottom of his priorities.

He definitely doesn’t want a relationship, but he can’t deny the strong attraction he feels for the little firecracker who for the next two months will paint the mural at his family’s resort.

description

This was such a sweet and lovely story! Bailey was a heroine I loved from the start. She was a stubborn firecracker that really, really wants to live. She was strong and determined to do that no matter what and I loved that about her. She was also sweet, caring and attentive not only with Hud, but also with his mother. Hud was genuinely a good person. He cares for his brothers and he loves his mother deeply, treating her with so much care and respect. I loved the way he was with Bailey from the beginning. He didn’t pity her at all. All he felt for her was admiration and I loved him for that. He showed Bailey not only how to live, but how to love as well and I was very grateful for that. Like I said, he was a great guy. Both of these characters were well developed, had depth from the start and were relatable and really endearing.

I enjoyed how Bailey and Hud’s relationship progressed. Their chemistry was well done, palpable and their sweet interactions melt my heart. I admit I wanted more sexy times between them, but what I’ve got was satisfying to say the least. Their passion and connection were there every time they were together and I loved it!

Once again the dynamic between the Kinkaids was phenomenally done. I absolutely loved their banter. These guys clearly loved each other very much and you can feel that reading each and every one of their interaction.

The drama and angst were low which I clearly enjoyed and expected. The romantic aspect was really well done. You will smile and swoon from the very first chapter and you will definitely root for these two great main characters.

Overall, a really great read! I’m looking forward to read the next installment in the series - Jacob’s story!

description
Profile Image for Stacey.
1,447 reviews1,162 followers
January 26, 2016
Too busy for love

I started My Kind of Wonderful a little worried. I’m a huge fan of Jill Shalvis, loved the first book in this series and enjoyed the family dynamics of those crazy Kincaids. I was scared of getting emotionally attached to someone who “has a second lease on life” and “might look delicate”. Was the story going to be about someone sick? Were we going to have to see this couple just starting out, dealing with illness? These thoughts were running through my head in the beginning and every time she was asked, “are you okay?” I got it all wrong. This book wasn’t about dying or sickness it was about living and making the most of each day. I had to learn to stop looking at her past and get excited for her future.

Hudson Kincaid meets a bright eyed and beautiful Bailey when she got stuck on the top of the mountain. Bailey had her map the wrong way and instead of going to the beginners slope ends up at the top. She’s not silly enough to try and ski down, especially considering her ski binding is broken, so she waits patiently enjoying the view. Hud’s a bit of a cranky arse and with his unbelievably busy schedule, this job is just another thing to add to his list of responsibilities. Once they chat for a bit and he looks a little closer at her, he can see that she’s quite frail. He’s concerned for her, but Bailey is stubborn and wants to do things for herself. Both of them feel an attraction to each other but have no idea that their paths are going to be crossing again sooner rather than later.

We get to see Hud in work mode with rescues, explosions and fence mending, all in a days work when you’re on ski patrol. Add into the fact that he works regularly as a police officer in Cedar Ridge, it’s surprising he has time for anything else. Although work is important to him, his main priority is his family, especially his Mum who suffers from dementia. Seeing Hud with his Mum, Cassie, was one of my favourite parts of this story. His weekly visit to take her to her favourite pizza parlor for her birthday (she loves celebrating birthdays and having cake and presents) and her regular phone calls to remind him to be home for curfew showed what remarkable patience he has. Hudson’s busy schedule is his way of keeping relationships casual and avoiding too much time to think. He doesn’t want to remember the way he pushed his twin brother Jacob, away. Nearly a decade without knowing he’s alive or dead is killing him, but he doesn’t know how to fix it. Luckily his Kincaid brothers and sisters Gray, Penny, Aiden, Lily and Keegan are there to kick his butt and remind him to stop once in awhile.

Bailey has her own type of family issues. Her mother, who’s a nurse, can’t help but worry for her and struggles to accept her healthy status and positive mindset. Bailey’s ex Aaron also struggles to take the cotton wool protection down. Even though they’re not together anymore, he still feels like he needs to watch over her. I could see and understand where they both were coming from, but I could also see they were stifling her need to break from her cocoon and fly.

Obviously with Bailey’s health issues and Hud’s family issues these two come with baggage. Both of them start the relationship with a one time only hookup mindset…that turns into two….that turns into three… and next thing you know there’s desk and walls getting used for “banging”.

I really enjoyed My Kind of Wonderful and I was stoked it wasn’t all tears and sadness. Bailey is strong, determined and as bright as a butterfly. This couple did have their struggles and Hud had Kincaid foot in mouth syndrome, but they weren’t stupid. They knew they had something special and were willing to work at it. Jill Shalvis has again left me content and with a smile on my face. After reading the teaser, I can’t wait to see how Jacob finally sorts out his issues with Hud and the rest of the Kincaids.

I received a complimentary copy of this story via Netgalley for an honest review.

To buy My Kind Of Wonderful - http://amzn.to/1Zok7FU

I’m an Aussie chick who loves to read and review romance, drink coffee, be a Style Setter and stalk David Gandy. To see more of my reviews, fashion, food and pervathons -

Profile Image for Jonetta.
2,164 reviews879 followers
February 6, 2016
Hudson (Hud) Kincaid is one of a motley crew of siblings managing the family ski lodge in Colorado. He's the one who works 24/7 and when he's not working ski patrol he's a cop with the local police force. It's clear something's driving him, which makes him all kinds of interesting. When he finds Bailey Moore stranded (and unapologetic) at the top of the dangerous, expert slope, Hud knows there's something special about this young woman.

I really liked both Hud and Bailey, two very different but colorful personalities. Her outlook was refreshing and his commitment to family extremely admirable. Their childhood stories were tragic but I never felt sorry for either of them because neither wanted pity and saw in themselves (and each other) how those experiences made them better. These were wonderful themes that were elements in all aspects of the story, including their romance. It made the times when both had boneheaded moments much more understandable.

The dialogue is often pithy and both have wicked senses of humor. The Kincaid family created lots of hilarity and I enjoyed them almost as much as Hud and Bailey. I liked everything about this story, including the uncomfortable times involving those close to her. I wasn't crazy about the last book and this more than compensated for what I found lacking. I'm already queued for twin brother Jacob's story!

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)
Profile Image for MELISSA *Mel Reader*.
1,324 reviews1,389 followers
December 29, 2015
4.5 Stars!
(ARC provided by author)

photo 8627B01F-5F29-4BFC-BDC2-E474895BE5F0_zpsdwreufew.jpg

Bailey Moore is a 24 yr. old woman who grew up in a small town south of Denver. She works as a graphic designer, but also enjoys painting on the side. Bailey has had a rough time these last few years, & feels like she has a new lease on life. For so long she never had time for anything but survival, but now she has a list of things she wants to do, & she plans to live life to the fullest!

photo 885B9E81-17B6-4F41-9080-F11BCF3B976B_zpsgvojocut.jpg

Bailey has been commissioned to paint a mural at a family owned ski resort in Cedar Ridge, Colorado up in the Rockies. This is about two hours away from home, but she figures it's also the perfect opportunity to learn to ski better & also complete some things on her list. What she doesn't bargain for is the drop dead gorgeous Hudson Kincaid. Hud is the head of ski patrol at his family's resort, & also a part time Cedar Ridge cop. He's very close to his siblings & the person everyone can always count on. He gives so much of himself to the people he cares about. So much that there's nothing left for himself. Between the resort, his jobs & family, there is little time left for down time or dating.

photo C08C84BE-D19A-4A25-BBFA-88748CDC5723_zpsjxuoamls.jpg

Hud meets Bailey & they both feel the sparks. There's something between them, but they decide to keep things casual. Things soon become more complicated when real feelings develop. Hud doesn't do relationships & Bailey doesn't let anyone get too close to her, so they both have to come to terms with their feelings. Hud begins to make Bailey feel whole again as they fall hard for one another. They both try to resist, but it's no use. They are already in over their heads & crazy about each other. I really enjoyed this book & can't wait for Hud's twin brother Jacob's book! Every time I pick up a Jill Shalvis book I know I'm going to just fall in love with the guy & get a fantastic sexy love story that takes me away to a beautiful place & makes me want the next book right away! ;))

photo 90618ED3-9CB9-4D16-A7B0-52A303AE18F7_zpshjztbip4.jpg

-"When I'm with you..."

-"I feel things. You make me feel things."

-Everything about him did it for her.

-I know you care about me because I can feel it in every look you give me, in every touch.

photo ff3060a1-0679-42c4-b9d8-4728c6a8ff42_zpsyp4rbhde.jpg
Profile Image for Claire.
2,302 reviews703 followers
December 28, 2015
5 - 'Mountain Hottie' Stars!

What can I say about Jill Shalvis, that hasn’t already been said. I consider myself lucky in that I only discovered her writing this year, what makes me lucky? I have dozens and dozens of books by this author that I can now take my time and immerse myself in, and nothing gets this reader more excited than a series, and Jill has certainly got quite a few of those on the go that I have some serious catching up to do with.

”I don’t need options… I just need you.”

I fell in love with this authors writing with the first book in the Cedar Ridge Series, and I didn’t think any of Jill’s other guys could top Aidan Kincaid from Second Chance Summer, but he has just been slightly pipped by his brother Hudson.

She’d fallen in love with Cedar Ridge, with the people in it, with the life she’d made for herself here… With Hudson Kincaid.

I think what makes books by this author so easy to read is that although the characters are all dealing with their own sets of problems and dramas, Jill never takes it to the point that you get ground down by angst. Bailey for instance, is living to the fullest due to having spent a large part of her life so far dealing with a debilitating illness that meant she never had the chance to experience much of anything. Enter ’The List’ and Bailey’s reasons for being in Cedar Ridge.

”You have no idea what you’re doing right?”

“When it comes to you?
Hell no…
With you I’m so far out of my league, I can’t even see the league.”

Hud is the same, dealing with being the main carer for a parent with mental issues and the feelings and emotions attributed to not knowing where his twin brother is and how he is doing. These things could lead to major angst and drama overload, but Jill pitches it all just right, and you come away with the positives of the situations and not all depressed about everything.

Romantic. Feel-good. Wholly entertaining. This couple had it all, and were just and absolute pleasure too read together, and separately as they both work out that you can have something you want, even if it doesn’t necessarily fit into the plans that you had originally laid out for yourself.

”Love is worth it.”

I have fallen for the residents of Cedar Ridge and even more-so for the Kincaid family in general, the banter, the kinship and just the total family togetherness makes this series and each book so far, not-to-be-missed books to add to your TBR.

ARC generously provided via Netgalley, and it was my absolute pleasure to provide the above honest review.
Profile Image for Carole (Carole's Random Life).
1,633 reviews448 followers
December 5, 2018
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I had a fantastic time with this romance. I pulled this book from my virtual stack of past due review books. It was a great book so I have no idea why I waited so long to pick it up and read it. Of course, I have yet to read a Jill Shalvis book that I didn't like so it really is no surprise that I liked this one as much as I did. This is the second book in the Cedar Ridge series but it is easily read as a stand-alone novel.

Hud takes his responsibilities very seriously. He takes care of his mother and accepts all of the blame for his brother leaving town. He is very dedicated to his work and seems to be on the clock all the time. He wants no part of the mural for the resort that his mother has arranged. Bailey is ready to embrace life and do all of the things she has had to put off for so long. The first thing on her list that she wants to complete is the mural for the ski resort.

The characters in this book were great. Bailey has been through a lot but still has a very positive attitude and is looking forward to her future. Hudson is an incredibly hard worker who is dedicated to his family and doing what is right. Hudson has a large family that also work at the ski resort that played a big part of this story and were all a lot of fun. Bailey's loved ones wanted to protect her and keep her safe even though they didn't always seem to completely support her choices.

I loved Hud and Bailey together. The chemistry between them was amazing and I felt like these two really needed each other. Hudson saw Bailey as more than her illness and helped to give her back the sense of normal that she needed. Bailey added the balance to Hudson's life that he didn't realize he needed. I felt like both of these characters came alive every time they were together and I couldn't help but cheer them on towards their happily ever after.

I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance. This was a story filled with great chemistry, touching moments, and a lot of hope. I can't wait to read more from Jill Shalvis!

I received a digital review copy of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing).

Initial Thoughts
I pulled this book from my virtual stack of past due arcs. Why didn't I read this book years ago? It was great so I have no excuses. I read the first and third books in the series back when they were being published so skipping this one really made no sense. I love Hudson and Bailey together. The whole Kincaid family was great and I never felt like I was missing anything even though I remember very little from the other books in the series. These two had so much in common and their chemistry was off the charts. They have both been through so much and I was thrilled to see them find their happily ever after together.
Profile Image for Yodamom.
1,975 reviews194 followers
August 22, 2016
Sweet romantic tale of two people who need love and a connection with the world. He is an over worked, over burdened, guilt ridden hero to all. She is a survivor of cancer and is learning how to live expecting the next day to come.
Very enjoyable audiobook, excellent narration.
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,120 reviews1,175 followers

• Cedar Ridge #2
��� 368 Pages
• release date - 22 December 2015
• Grand Central Publishing
Book #3 Nobody But You will be released 29 March 2016

description

Bailey is finally healthy again, after fighting that stupid cancer for almost ten years.
And she has a list. A list of things she wants to do in her 'new' life.
One item on that list brings her to Cedar Ridge.
She was hired to paint a mural on a wall of the ski-town's hotel resort.
A family portrait of the Kincaids.

Enter Hudson Kincaid.

description

He and his half-siblings own and run the resort - and if being on the ski-patrol wouldn't keep him busy enough, he's also a town cop a few shifts a month.
He's had a couple serious relationships in his life, but they all fell apart, because he works too much, and wouldn't change it for those girls.
But now he might have met the one girl he could imagine forever with.
Of course he doesn't know it yet! ☺

It's instant attraction between the two of them.
And it's adorable to watch how they both try to not take this relationship too seriously.

It might take them a while to get to their HEA....

and until then, let's just look at this hot - stripping - Kincaid brother!!! ☺

description

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO BAiLEY & HUDSON???
WiLL THERE BE A HEA???
WiLL THERE BE A CLiFFHANGER???

Nope . . . I'm not telling you ☺

═════════════════════════════════

description

Such a beautiful & funny & moving story!

After I finished Jill's last Lucky Harbor book, I didn't know if anything new could compare to that amazing town. But Cedar Ridge and sexy its Kincaid family.... yesssss .... I love it!

This was such a cute and adorable and sexy and funny and moving and snowy romance!
I could read books like that every day!

description

I loved every second of this book!
And now - can I pleeeeaaaase have my own Hudson?!?!

Set in the amazingly beautiful & snowy background of Cedar Ridge.....MY KIND OF WONDERFUL is the perfect book for a cold winter night. Funny, sexy, moving - just adorable!! Grab a mug of hot chocolate and fall in love with Hud and Bailey!

description

And now please hurry Madame Shalvis - I need more sexy Cedar Ridgers - the next book will finally be out the missing Jacob!!!!

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe).
529 reviews462 followers
March 2, 2017

Guys! I cannot believe that as a lover of romances that it took me this long to pick up a Jill Shalvis book. No, really, I am quite embarrassed. Once I read My Kind of Wonderful, which of course I was unable to put down, I have crowned Jill my new Queen of Romance.

Jill's writing in romance is exactly what I crave.  I love the humor, I love the banter and I absolutely adore the quirky characters that dig their way into your heart.

Bailey and Hudson were the main characters of this book, though the rest of the Kincaid clan pops up in the book - with the exception of Jacob. Hudson was wonderful, even if he does come with a bit of baggage. He feels terrible about what happened between him and his brother Jacob and feels completely and utterly responsible for his mother and her state of mind. Between taking care of his mother, worrying about the whereabouts of his twin brother and taking care of the resort - Hud has no space for anyone in his heart.

Bailey was fantastic. She is a cancer survivor who has a list of things she wants to do in life, especially since she is now free of cancer. She is hired to paint a mural for the Kincaids at the resort, where she runs into Hud. The attraction between the two is crackling, and no sooner do they start a small fling, that quickly develops into something more, a lot more than either of them are willing to admit.

This book was quite a ride. The interaction between the Kincaid clan alone just made the entire journey worthwhile. The way they pick on each other is both endearing and amusing. There is a lot of love there, even if for the most part they are all step-brother's and sisters. The Kincaids significant others fit into the series perfectly. The book made me laugh, it brought joy into my heart and had me completely hooked. I am now looking forward to more from Jill and I will be reading the books that I have missed out on.This review was originally posted on Night Owl Book Cafe

Profile Image for Lover of Romance.
2,696 reviews779 followers
November 24, 2019
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

I have had this BOOK on my list for years and honestly, I have no idea why I waited so long for this one. I read book one. "Second Chance Summer" and truly adored it a handful of years ago so I am not sure why it took me so long but I finally was able to read or in this case, I was able to grab ahold of the audiobook through my local library. And first, off I want to mention this might be my favorite book from this author so far!! I know I know...crazy sauce, but it's true.

In this book we have such a beautiful meet-cute that happens right off....our two main characters are Hudson and Bailey. Bailey has come to paint a mural for a family who owns and runs a mountain ski resort, while out doing some skiing she meets up with Hudson who saves her in the snow and when they run into each other there is a strong spark of attraction. But Hudson is against the mural painting but is outnumbered by members of his family. Hudson is the hard-working and responsible sibling, always taking charge and working to the brink of exhaustion. Our heroine has gone through her share of life struggles. She has battled cancer for close to ten years and now has a bucket list and wants to LIVE her life in a way she hasn't since she was fifteen years old. What starts out as some angst tension between Hud and Bailey, turns into something strong and tender but Hudson will have to fight for his girl if he wants to keep her in his life and prove his sincerity.

This was such a charming story and I truly fell in love with just about every aspect of this story and boy this family. I just loved them all!! What I have come to truly admire about this author is how she balances out the characters. We see our hero and heroine equally and I truly loved that and need this more in romance. Its so rare to see a cancer survivor in romance and I felt like Shalvis really handled this element so well in our heroine. The romance that develops between our characters is so sweet at times, especially the kissing scenes....*swoon* passionate and tender which is my favorite mix. I can't wait to finish the trilogy with "Nobody But You"

photo Addicted To Romance Reviews 2_zpsplp8m0tb.png
Profile Image for Mandy.
1,504 reviews217 followers
January 11, 2016
3.5

sweet romance with a few laughs. I love the Kincaid family and Cedar Ridge. The romance lacked a little of the chemistry I felt in the first book but I did like both Bailey and Hudson. I can't wait for the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Dali.
1,745 reviews433 followers
December 12, 2015
My Kind of Wonderful is amusing, sexy and tender all rolled up in an attractive snow powdered package.
“He flashed that panty-melting grin and all her poor, neglected womanly parts flamed to life and did the Macarena.”

Bailey Moore has never “had time for anything except survival.” But now she has a new lease on life and with it a list of all the things she imagined she’d enjoy doing during the decade she battled cancer, starting with painting a mural. When the opportunity to do it lands on her lap though, she didn’t expect it would include an impossible to resist, cantankerous, sexy ski master. She’s seen how loyal, genuine and protective he is with his mother. Which makes him an adventure she wants, but only if it comes with an expiration date.

Hudson Kincaid’s plate is almost overflowing with responsibilities. He’s head of the ski patrol at his family’s ski resort, on the police force, taking care of his mentally unstable mother and worrying day in and out about his estranged twin’s wellbeing. He doesn’t have time for a relationship nor does he want one, but one look at Bailey and a few moments around her happy and magnetic personality is enough for him to want to stay in her orbit. Can he let himself be happy? And can he convince Bailey that their Kind of Wonderful is forever?

Jill Shalvis is a joy to read, you can’t go wrong with her when looking for a touching contemporary romance with strong characters that make you want to root for.
“You make me feel things.”
“Like irritated? Annoyed?”
“Yes… But Also warm. And… Fuzzy.”
“Warm and fuzzy..? I’m not a pair of slippers Bailey.”

I loved the witty back and forth between Hudson and Bailey that stoked their instant chemistry. I appreciated Bailey’s strength which never faltered and gave her an inner beauty that was hard to resist. Especially for a man like Hudson who is strong and loyal to the core. And completely swoon worthy when he turned his sexy loving towards Bailey.
“It’s my turn for a question now.”
“Aren’t you afraid that might express persona interest?”

His smile was a little naughty. “I’ve had my tongue down your throat. I’m pretty sure I’ve already expressed personal interest.”

Even though they had decided that whatever was going on between them was temporary and would remain light, the loving intervention from Hud’s incorrigible siblings and his mother pushed them in the right direction, helping Hud forgive himself and both to live life fully.
“We’re all gunning for you to trip over your two left feet for a woman. It’s your turn.”

The family meddling is another layer I fully enjoy when reading Jill Shalvis’ books. Those pranks the brothers pull while knowing they’ve got their backs is completely endearing. My Kind of Wonderful also had Hud’s mom very close to the center of the story. She adds both heartwarming, humorous moments, as well as heartbreaking ones depending on her mental stability or lack of it.

I loved the pace at which Baily and Hudson grow closer. There isn’t any over the top drama, just the right amount of angst for me to be glued to the story while rooting for them to be able to find their happy ever after adventure. Oh and let’s not forget the hilarious pranks the Kincaids pull on each other that’s worth barrels of laughs! Two words for you this time: choking hazard.

Book Facts: My kind of Wonderful is book #2 in the Cedar Ridge series by Jill Shalvis. It’s written from both points of view. Can be read as a standalone with a happy ending.

Amazon -> http://amzn.to/1OXh2tq

* I was given an ARC of this book courtesy of the author via NetGalley. The excerpts are from that copy. *

More reviews * Stalk us on FaceBook * As well as Twitter * Pinterest Board for Book Teasers
Profile Image for Jacob Proffitt.
2,851 reviews1,490 followers
February 27, 2017
This is second in a series, and while I read the first it was long enough ago that I've lost the information. And the story definitely suffers for that. So I'd definitely recommend reading the first, and doing so proximate enough that you mostly remember who people are.

This is another that life and stress kept me from reviewing for a couple of days. So again, details are gone. I hate when that happens.

I liked Bailey a whole heckuva lot. She's spent a large part of her life battling a cancer with a low survival rate. When the book starts, she's been "cancer free" for months, though, and prognosis is very positive that she'll actually have a life. This is unexpected, but Bailey has spent a lot of time thinking about what she'd do if she ever got a chance and is organized enough that she's now got a list and is working on fitting as much in as she possibly can. This brings her into the orbit of the crazy Kincaids, and particularly to the notice of Hudson.

And Hudson is just all kinds of dreamy as the cop/ski patrol/tough and responsible good guy. I liked him, too, but as has been all too common lately, he has the dread negative motivation* disease. So the plot stops dead about midway through and we're left waiting for Hud to get over himself already and go and be happy with the woman he obviously loves. It's actually worse than that, though, as Hud adds moments of absolute stupidity to the mix to where I kind of wanted Bailey to take her broken heart to her next item on the list and find someone else to fall in love with. And yeah, I liked them together and I so wanted it to happen so I'm not disappointed that he got over himself. But I'd still have liked Bailey to at least make him grovel a bit on the way. He got off way, waaaay too easy.

So again what might have been a four star read got bunted down a peg or two for the plot-killing negative motivations. I really hate when that happens.

A note about Steamy: I forget how much explicit sex there was. But there was some and it was about the middle of my steam tolerance so not more than a handful and not terribly long.

* Negative Motivations: I kind of hate that the term "negative motivation" isn't widespread, yet. Since it isn't, I'm going to save off this little jag to append to my reviews that feature the term. Jennifer Crusie blogged about it a bit back and it changed how I understand story. The problem with the term is that if you've never heard it before, you'd assume it meant motivations that are harmful or immoral. Not so. What it refers to is motivations not to do something. The thing is that many of us are motivated to not do things for a lot of different, perfectly valid and reasonable, reasons. The problem is that in a story motivations to not do things are a huge drag on the plot—particularly considering the fact that most negative motivations are overcome by the character simply deciding they don't care any more (or, rather, that they do care and are now motivated to do the thing). So not only do you have a counter to action but you also have a situation where to overcome it, all a character has to do is change their mind. Which means eventually, the reader is rooting for the character to get over him/herself already and do the thing we want them to do. Conflict drives story. Conflict between a reader and a main character drives readers away from story.
Profile Image for Anna's Herding Cats.
1,274 reviews307 followers
January 4, 2016

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.

Prepare for a swoon, ladies. Prepare for a swoon. Jill Shalvis has done it yet again! I swear. She hits the right spot every single time. My Kind of Wonderful was just that...completely wonderful. From beginning to end Hud and Bailey had me in one big ol' swoon and left me with a big grin on my face and a happy sigh in my heart.

The quick of it is that Hud and his siblings run a ski resort and his mama has hired a random woman to come in and paint a huge mural on their resort wall. And Hudson...not so pleased! The resort's struggling and they just don't have the funds for something like that. But dang if that cute little artist will be denied! This gig is important to Bailey and she's determined to do it even if it means working pro-bono (much to his dismay). And oh the sparks they fly between as these two are forced all close together.

So. Hudson and Bailey. Hud's a little growly, a control freak, he's a protector and has such a sweet underbelly he tries to keep a hidden. He's a cop and does ski patrol and all kinds of other alpha male things at the resort. Yum! And Bailey is all strength. She's a survivor, talented and has a lovely spirit about her. Their chemistry...total sparkly deliciousness. They butt heads, they growl, they get all lusty and sweet. It was one helluva good time watching these two fall for each other. I loved seeing them on their jobs too. Her working on the family mural and him on patrol. Totally sexy when he goes into rescue mode. Noms!

Now. My favorite thing about the book...this family. I freaking LOVE this family. Hud's brothers and sisters are something else. I love the way they are with each other. They give each other absolute hell, the guys torment each other, they snark and growl but they are solid and there for each other. It's a fun dynamic seeing them all together. I busted out laughing more than once and totally had moments of wishing I wasn't an only child. The heart and love of it all just gets to me. They definitely add a wonderful background element to the romance.

All in all, My Kind of Wonderful was just a fabulous read. Had me smiling and laughing and going all girly. No matter what series Shalvis tackles I instantly want to be a part of the world she creates. The settings, the people, the feeling of home and family and friendship. An amazing talent, that.

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1JtqjmG
Profile Image for Danielle.
340 reviews234 followers
December 21, 2015
I have been looking forward to reading My Kind of Wonderful ever since I read Second Chance Summer earlier this year, and while there were parts of the story that I enjoyed, it wasn't what I was hoping for as a whole.

Hudson and Bailey both bring a lot of baggage into the story that caused it to be a heavier read than what I was expecting. Bailey is finally free to live her life for the first time in ten years and she has a list, and plans, and falling in love with Hudson is not on the agenda.

And Hudson, that man has so much on his plate that make it impossible for him to have a relationship... Not to mention the fact that he's reluctant to allow anyone to get close and does a pretty good job at keeping Bailey at a distance throughout most of the book.

I can say that I really enjoyed the setting, and getting caught up with some of my favorite characters from the first book, but unfortunately I can't say much on the romance aspect because it just didn't really work for me. There's so much push and pull, so much insistence that this is only a "one time thing" that they repeat over and over again, that it made it hard for me to really believe the relationship in the end.

Don't get me wrong, the ending was great... Especially the groveling on both of their parts... But it was too little too late in my opinion. Even though I didn't love this one as much as I hoped I would I'm still really looking forward to the next book in the series.

*ARC kindly provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Dorine.
595 reviews31 followers
April 4, 2016
Find more contemporary romance reviews in 2016 at The Zest Quest.

Can a woman just learning to live after a serious illness settle down with a man who is overly committed to his family's struggling ski resort? Jill Shalvis once again pairs together an interesting couple full of spunk and surprises.

MY KIND OF WONDERFUL is an enjoyable addition to the CEDAR RIDGE series. As expected, the Kincaid siblings razz each other to no end just as much as they come to each other's aid when troubled. Can a mural depicting each sibling's personality be the answer to a mother's wish?

Hudson "Hud" Kincaid is used to being in control of everything at his family's ski resort, so it's not surprising when he's attracted to the one woman who challenges that control. Bailey Moore is checking off the challenges on her bucket list after years of battling cancer. Getting romantically involved with the handsome man who rescues her from the top of a mountain isn't on that list. Can a man who can do anything and a woman who is determined to do it all stand still long enough to realize they're perfect for one another?

Hud and Bailey are instantly attracted to each other when they initially meet but Hud is too commitment phobic to commit to anyone. Bailey is too new to living without cancer to hold herself back. Can just one night of giving in to their mutual attraction be enough?

Hud lives with the guilt of pushing his twin brother away from their family, so he doesn't believe he's capable of long-term relationships. He's already overcommitted by taking care of his early-dementia-ridden mother, as well as all his responsibilities trying to keep his family's resort afloat. But Bailey touches something deep inside of him that he doesn't know exists. Can this sweet woman tame the beast within?

Bailey agrees to paint a mural of the Kincaid family for free if they'll give her room and board on the weekends when she comes to the resort to work on the mural. She loves to paint, as it revives memories of her deceased grandmother who inspired her talent. Currently a graphic artist, painting a mural of this magnitude is on Bailey's list of things to do, now that she's back to truly living after her devastating illness. Will those who love her and who have protected her during her illness give her the freedom she feels she deserves?

Hud has a quiet strength that jumps off the page and into the heart of the reader. His guilt and consequent penance that he tries to force upon himself because of his past misdeeds shines a light on his inner soul. Bailey has spent so much time being sick, that now that she has a hint of what it's like to be on the road to recovery, she's not sure how to settle for anything less than the list of challenges she's created. Hud seems too married to the resort and his responsibilities to take time to go along on her quest. Bailey decides if she can't have forever, what's wrong with right now? Can Hud resist the temptation of Bailey?

I enjoyed Hud and Bailey's story. You'd think this story would be sad due to Bailey's struggles and Hud's mother's condition, but it's not. It's full of life because Bailey is ready to live. Every time Hud said "Bay," my heart melted a little more. He's a man of few words but somehow his deepest emotion is conveyed every time he says her name. I love Hud's reaction to everything around him. He's serious which makes his siblings' and mother's antics toward him entertaining. This isn't a difficult story filled with tension. It's actually an easy read, even considering the more emotional topics that could have made the novel a lot darker. They were aptly covered yet they didn't overwhelm the characters or the story. The emotion did bring tears to my eyes toward the end of the novel but it is Bailey's spirit that makes this novel special.

Jill Shalvis can always make me laugh. Her characters breathe life into every page, making me feel as though I can reach out and touch them. I'm not a skier or fond of the cold, yet MY KIND OF WONDERFUL pulled me into the characters' lives as easily as if it was my favorite scenario. That's the Shalvis magic. Her books are always on my list to read first and remain on my keeper shelf for re-reading in the future. The sneak peek of the next story at the end of this novel made me anxious for NOBODY BUT YOU, coming in March 2016. MY KIND OF WONDERFUL is a fun story with unusual characters worth savoring.

Review by Dorine, courtesy of Romance Junkies and The Zest Quest. Digital ARC provided by the publisher through Netgalley.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
October 27, 2015
Deep down, and I mean seriously like really deep down, Hud is a good guy with a good heart who likes to bring his woman substance, “I have coffee, donuts, and bacon,” he cajoled. “I wasn’t sure what your poison was so I tried to cover all the basic food groups: caffeine, sugar, and trans fats. If none of those work, I’ll…” I seriously loved Hud, "he manfully sucked it up and let her fingers stroke up and down his back. “Can’t have you suffering from cold parts,” he said. “I’ve got a hot shower and an even hotter bed only ten minutes from here.” I loved this book Hud was such a great character.
Profile Image for Andrea.
867 reviews128 followers
February 15, 2020
I used to love Jill Shalvis' books. But lately, I feel like they're all a bit too similar and formulaic for me. They all just blur together for me. Someone goes somewhere, but it's only temporary, they meet someone who's refusing to love again, sparks fly, but-oh-we-can't-date-because-I'm-leaving-soon angst ensues...

But still. They're like comfort food. You know what you'll get, and sometimes you just need it.
Profile Image for Alyse.
318 reviews19 followers
December 18, 2015
For more reviews, please follow my blog:

In Second Chance Summer, we were introduced to the Kincaid family: Gray (and Penny), Aiden, Hudson, Jacob (mentioned), and McKenna Kincaid. These siblings are working to save the family ski resort that their loser father left to them in a MOUNTAIN of debt. Book 1 focuses on Aiden Kincaid and Lily Danville (for my full review on Second Chance Summer, click HERE). My Kind of Wonderful is the second novel in Jill Shalvis' Cider Ridge series and focuses on Hudson Kincaid and Bailey Moore.

Bailey Moore, for the first time in her life, is looking forward to the future. She never had the opportunity to make plans for herself or even dream about what she wanted out of life. Bailey wants to learn to live every day to the fullest and enjoy the moment. She's even made a List of things she wanted (and now could) do: Paint a mural, explore castles in Europe, travel the Greek isles... And that is why she is in Cedar Ridge. To gain control of her life and start on her List by painting a mural for the Kincaid family at their resort.

But Bailey doesn't expect to meet Hudson Kincaid.

All work and no play has made Hudson Kincaid a super-stressed boy. Between his work as head of the ski patrol for the family ski resort and town cop, trying to SAVE the family resort, taking care of his sick mom, and looking for his twin brother (Jacob), Hud has little to no time for anything else in his life. All he wants is a few minutes to himself before he's supposed to participate in some safety drills, but he gets a call about someone being "in trouble" at the top of Devil's Face. He finds Bailey (patiently) waiting for help and something shifts in him when he sees her wonder-filled gaze taking in the mountain views.

Hudson finds himself looking forward to the weekends when Bailey is in Cedar Ridge working on her mural. And soon "only one night" turns into more nights. But Hud doesn't have the time for a relationship and Bailey has had enough with temporary...

So once the mural is finished will Hudson be able to let her go?

While each book is a standalone (since it each story focuses a different sibling and their story of finding love) and doesn't have to be read in order, I would FULLY recommend reading them in order so you can get the full effect of the WONDERFUL Kincaid family. This is probably one of my FAVORITE book families I've EVER read. They are fiercely loyal to each other, yet they still tease and torture each other ENDLESSLY (with embarrassing underwear).

Rating: 5 out of 5

**I received an ARC through Netgalley in exchange of a honest review.**
Profile Image for Lisa Kay.
924 reviews504 followers
February 3, 2016
★★★★✩ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Karen White does her usual wonderful job narrating this next installment of the Cedar Ridge series. Good vocal differentiations, tones, and pacing.

Honestly, I didn't think I was going to like this one. I've had enough of the ravages of cancer to my loved one and my patients to last several lifetimes and didn't really want to mix it with my escapist romance reading. However, in the deftly creative and gently hands of Jill Shalvis, it is well done.

I definitely was rooting for the romance between cancer survivor Bailey Moore and her “mountain hottie” Hudson Kincaid, AKA Hud. The best things were the conversations between these two opposites and how they would listen to the other's viewpoint on different topics and come away with a few epiphanies.

Of course, the dynamics between the Kincaid family members continue to produce a chuckle or a bittersweet ache, making me get even more attached to this family. Thus, I'm really looking forward to Nobody But You, featuring Hud's absent twin, Jacob, which comes out March 2016.

Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1) by Jill Shalvis My Kind of Wonderful (Cedar Ridge, #2) by Jill Shalvis Nobody But You (Cedar Ridge, #3) by Jill Shalvis
Profile Image for Danielle.
249 reviews124 followers
September 14, 2016
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

The Cedar Ridge series is typical Jill Shalvis fare – warm, funny and smile inducing. You can’t help but grin as you read Jill’s books and My Kind of Wonderful is no different. Like its predecessor, Second Chance Summer, book two focuses on yet another yummy Kincaid brother. Do they really make them like these hunks in Colorado? If so, I have got to get me some skis! ;)

Hudson Kincaid is the head of his family’s ski resort patrol and he is all business. Constantly picking up shifts, solving problems and taking care of his mom, he has no time for romance. Until he meets Bailey Moore who coincidentally has no time for romance either. She’s on a mission of her own – after years of being seriously ill, Bailey is not using remission as an excuse for downtime. She has museums to see, oceans to swim in and mountains to climb. However when Bailey and Hudson meet on top of the Rockies, it isn’t long before the temperature starts to rise high enough to melt the snow capped peaks. A chance meeting with Hudson’s mom and suddenly Bailey is employed to paint a Kincaid family mural and her schedule is thrown out the window apart from all those hours pencilled in to flirt with gorgeous, ski patrol hunks of course.

Our hero and heroine are stunned by their chemistry particularly since neither have the time to commit to a relationship. An idea of a steamy, sultry night together to get it out of their systems couldn’t go wrong, right?

My Kind of Wonderful is a cute story but at times the stubbornness of these characters did drive me insane, particularly as it followed a similar thread as book one however the presence of the other members of the Kincaid’s zany, warm family was always a pleasure and it helped stop the storyline from getting bogged down by Hudson and Bailey’s more frustrating character traits.

I really enjoyed Hudson’s character, he really takes on more than his fair share of the family burden and I loved learning more about his background and his relationship with his siblings. Equally Bailey’s strength and determination were admirable given her past and I loved watching her grow and stand up for herself. Together, their chemistry is off the charts and Shalvis really knows how to write a love scene. You know what you’re getting with a Jill Shalvis book but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

My Kind of Wonderful is the ideal type of book to curl up with on a rainy afternoon, when you just want to smile, laugh and feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Paired with a hot beverage and sweet treat and you’ve got the perfect combo.
Profile Image for Jaime Fiction Fangirls.
1,578 reviews147 followers
December 15, 2015
I don't ski, snowboard or fish. I don't enjoy the snow or the outdoors in general. I still want to move to Cedar Springs and live with the Kincaid family forever.

Seriously, outside of falling in love with Hudson and Bailey, both as individuals and as a couple, I fell super hard for the Kincaid siblings and their significant others all over again. The banter that goes on between them in their "meetings" and the way they all watched on during the "big gesture" moment between Bay and Hud was one of the funnest, sweetest scenes I've read in a book. Stage whispers, sighs and sweet declarations, how could I not love it?

What I love most about Jill Shalvis' characters is that they don't beat around the bush. They feel what they feel and aren't afraid to voice their opinions and feelings to each other. Obviously they struggle with recognizing their deepest feelings sometimes lending to the conflict in each story, but somehow they manage to do it in reasonably adult manner.

Hudson certainly fits this character profile. He's sexy and strong, smart and kind, and he loves his family with everything he has, but holds onto unnecessary guilt like nobody's business.

Bailey is strong and independent, beautiful and strong-willed, outspoken and insecure all at the same time. She's been fighting for freedom and independence for the past 10 years and now that she's tasted that freedom she'll do anything to hold onto it, despite her family and her ex who are just doing what they think is best for her.

When Bailey is hired to paint a mural at Cedar Ridge, the Sparks between her and Hudson are immediate but he doesn't do relationships and she doesn't do hook-ups. Predictably the chemistry between them is too hard to fight and soon one night turns to three and then four until they are left to decide if a few nights will ever be enough.

The sex scenes were hot but not overdone. I love that the author chooses not to detail every single sexcipade but that she keeps the heat level high throughout the story. The story doesn't rely on the physical parts to make it strong. The emotional connection between Bailey and Hudson is just as charged.

I was honestly sad when I finished reading this book because I probably could read about the Kincaid family forever. Lucky for me there are more books to come.

*I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Annie .
2,426 reviews802 followers
December 22, 2015

In book two of the Cedar Ridge series, Jill Shalvis presents readers with something a little different I think. The heroine, Bailey Moore, is a cancer survivor. After battling for her life, her outlook has changed and she intends on making every waking moment something to remember. While I liked what Bailey stood for, there were times when I thought she came across as too strong. Tired of existing in the background, Bailey is taking life by the hands and giving it a good shake. But there were times where I thought it was at the cost of others. In reality, they are quite small things because I still enjoyed myself but I didn’t love Bailey as much as I thought I would. She’s still a strong character but I just wished she settled down a little more. She seemed a little all over the place.

The hero, Hud, kind of reminds me of the heroes of Shalvis’ other series, Wilder. Hud kind of fits in with the strong, athletic group of men with that side of charm that Shalvis always infuses in her books. Once I made that connection, I quickly realized that this entire book could fit into the Wilder series as well. So if you’ve read those books and enjoyed them, I think you’d probably enjoy MY KIND OF WONDERFUL as well.

Shalvis is one of my favorite authors so I have some pretty high expectations after the Lucky Harbor books. Unfortunately, I don’t think this series is up to par with those but this romance is nonetheless sweet and inspiring. The one thing I would say is that some of these stories so far have been quite predictable. I don’t know whether that is a product of having read Shalvis for so long that I know her style so well that I can easily predict what’s to come or if the stories have really become cookie cutter. I am hoping that Jacob’s book hits hard and surprises me.
Profile Image for Manda Collins.
Author 28 books1,136 followers
December 22, 2015
As a long time Jill Shalvis reader, I have an idea of what I'm going to get when I dive into one of her books. There will be banter. There will be laughs. There will be sexytimes. But from that description one might assume that there will be a lack of angst, or a lack of seriousness. And that would be a mistake. One of the things I appreciate about Shalvis as a writer is her ability to take on potentially weepy subjects with a light touch. It's not so silly as to be glib, but it's not so serious as to totally bum you out.
With her latest trip to Cedar Ridge Colorado, she brings together a heroine who has only recently been deemed cancer-free and a hero who is dealing with childhood trauma and a mother with dementia. Doesn't sound like a laugh fest does it? But as usual Shalvis works her magic and weaves a story that's both heartwarming and satisfying. Heroine Bailey rings true as someone who has only just come to realize that she's no longer facing a death sentence from cancer, complete with a determination to get the most out of her life now that she's going to have one. Hudson is a typical Shalvis hero with a love of the outdoors and a devotion to his family. I really appreciated how close the Kincaid family is and the continuation of a particular prank amongst the Kincaid brothers from the first book in the series is still hilarious. And the location in the mountains of Colorado is fresh and serves as more than just window dressing.
Profile Image for Jonel.
1,717 reviews315 followers
December 5, 2015
This novel is fun from the get-go. Shalvis takes the wonderful world that we came to know in the 1st Cedar Ridge novel and takes it to another level. The scene comes to life in a beautifully larger than life manner. Shalvis paints it through her words and invites her readers into this world for a short while. She tackles life after personal disaster in this wildly entertaining story, while also showing how it’s different for each of us. The miracle of the human body and soul come into play in a big way. The plot itself was both exciting and enriching.

I fell in love with both the main characters from the beginning. Seeing Hud come to grips with the full impact of his past added an extra level of drool-worthyness to this strong, sexy hero. Bailey’s need to stand on her own and experience life after what she’s been through was appealing. I loved how each of them were so well developed individually. The little tidbits of insight into their characters was so fantastic, giving a truly well rounded feel. And let’s not forget the loveable supporting cast that these two were surrounded by. They were such great individuals.

This story is simultaneously sweet, funny, hot, and emotionally hard hitting. It’s a complexly enjoyable tale that I could barely put down.

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this work in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Pamela(AllHoney).
2,631 reviews355 followers
January 29, 2016
The second book in the Cedar Ridge series by Jill Shalvis. Bailey Moore is in remission and it is time for her to get started on her "list". Hudson Kincaid's mother, Carrie hires her to paint a mural at Cedar Ridge and she jumps at the chance. But can she persuade Hudson that it's a good thing to do?

Hudson is certainly high on the dreamy hero list and I loved Bailey. Lots of awesome characters! It isn't my favorite Jill Shalvis book but it is worthy and I'm loving this series and looking forward to the next book.
Profile Image for Stacee.
2,670 reviews701 followers
November 19, 2015

I liked Bailey and Hudson well enough. There is a lot of baggage between these two and it did get a little monotonous. The best part of the story was all of the scenes with the entire family together. And of course the grand gesture at the end.

Overall, it was a little more drama than I was expecting, but still the fun sort of book I was needed to help me with a book hangover.

**Huge thanks to Grand Central Publishing and NetGalley for providing the arc in exchange for an honest review**
Displaying 1 - 30 of 684 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.