Start by marking “Ain't We Got Fun” as Want to Read:
Ain't We Got Fun

Ain't We Got Fun

It was never much of an issue for Bess: living contentedly on her family's farm, despite the Depression which loomed around them. But when her older sister Georgiana takes off to New York City to make a fortune and help Papa out, feelings of adventure and wanderlust strike Bess at home. Through their lively letter correspondence, the sisters recount to one another their ...more
Published May 13th 2015 by The White Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Ain't We Got Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ain't We Got Fun

Start your review of Ain't We Got Fun
Allison Tebo
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: great-depression
Perhaps I was just not in the mood for this, but I was a little 'meh' about this book. Not a bad writing style at all, but a little 'self conscious', too studied in it's structure of being written in a letter format - it felt a little unnatural. I felt things were much improved after the opening paragraph of each chapter when the authoresses moved on to a more straightforward past tense third person POV. I'm not a big fan of books that are written like a series of letters and I thought this one ...more
Hayden
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh guys, this book was so adorable! I loved that the format was all letters, and honestly...I loved the romance (Tom was my favorite). The whole book was cozy and homey, the characters were winsome, and my only big complaint was that I wanted it to go on longer. It's really a perfect cozy read that brought me back to my childhood reading the Kit Kitteridge books, and I couldn't put it down. Absolutely charming!

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for my honest review.
Hanna-col
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first learned about this novella I was excited to find out that the authors, Emily Ann Putzke and Emily Chapman, were publishing it. They had previously posted the story as a series on their blogs but I had missed it. This way I would have a chance to read it. Not only that but it takes place during one of my favorite time periods to read about- The Great Depression/1930s. (I blame American Girl and Kit Kittredge entirely.)

I enjoyed the story immensely. I was quickly caught up into the
Emma Clifton
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely heart-warming and adorable. I don’t read a lot of books that are made up of letters, but the format worked really well in Ain’t We Got Fun. Bess and Gi were very different, lovable people (even though Gi was extremely stubborn). Both girls developed in a very satisfying and realistic way. I’m not a history buff, but the story seemed historically accurate to me. I even learned some facts about the Great Depression that I hadn’t known before! The little details Emily and ...more
Mary
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story!
At first, I was a little worried that I wouldn’t like a story told entirely by letters, but it charmed me completely. I got that little rush of excitement at each letter, just like I was the one opening the letter from New York or Kansas. Gi and Bess were delightful; their natural, easy banter with each other leads you to think that Chapman and Putzke really are sisters! It didn’t take long before I was drawn completely into the Great Depression and the Rowland sisters’
Hannah
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When Ain't We Got Fun first premiered in January on the blogs of Emily Chapman and Emily Ann Putzke, I was super excited!
I have enjoyed reading the short stories and snippets they have posted, and the thought of a full book written by the both of them seemed like pure perfection.

The story of Gi and Bess sounded exactly like my type of book. Historical Fiction is one of my favorite genres, and I love the idea of stories told through letters.

I followed the story faithfully for the first couple
Hailey Rose
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Extremely enjoyable, far more so than I expected. The only thing I didn't care for was that the girl's exchanges with their fellas was quite cheesy at times. But other than that, it was a cute story.
Reyna Nicole
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's very simple, actually. I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK. The end.

Just kidding, I have more to say. But it really is wonderful - I can't think of a single thing I disliked about it. It's one of those books that makes you feel all warm and happy inside, yet is not at all lacking in serious elements of sickness, family issues, and a bit of danger as well (very mild; nothing scary). The thing I really loved was the writing style. The authors' writing styles were distinguishable from each other's just enough
Rebekah Morris
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This story, told through letters between two sisters, was a fun read. The authors seemed to have a pretty good feel for the time of the Great Depression and I enjoyed the characters. It's not a long book, but neither is it short. It's a great length for an afternoon read. The reason this book didn't get a higher rating was because of the use of what I consider swear words: good L! good G! While I know such expressions were used during that time period, there are many other things that could have ...more
Schuyler
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Absolutely charming. I loved it. Full review in due course.
Libby May
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good book.

Although it was written as though it's letters sister to sister, I think the attempt was good, but it needed a little more work. It didn't work like letters. I didn't feel like it was letters, more like chapter breaks and POV changes. I mean really, who writes down an entire conversation in a letter? And so yeah.

But the story was very sweet! I loved the innocent clean romance. The way the sisters held each other up and loved each other was very cute and encouraging.

I do
Suzannah
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
A cute short read. Strengths included the writing style (very good!) and the humour. I thought the pacing could have been improved, and the romantic plot given a little more depth. Otherwise, I gulped this down in one sitting and enjoyed it immensely!
Rachel
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is precisely the sort of light, cheerful fare I like to read in the spring or while on vacation. Something I can read in small bits, set down often because I've been interrupted yet again, and yet still keeps me interested enough that I want to pick it up again next chance I get.

Ain't We Got Fun is a collection of letters from two sisters during the Great Depression. It's gentle and sweet -- nothing really terrible happens to anyone. It's got a little bit of the parable of the Prodigal Son
Jenna
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story!!! Historical Fiction is my favorite genre so this book was a real treat :) Definitely worth the read.
Lydia Scott
Jun 29, 2015
Caitlin
Mar 16, 2019
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 May 30, 2015 11:02AM
Emily Chapman is the author of CRY OF HOPE and co-author of AIN'T WE GOT FUN. She writes "to taste life twice" and because she thrives off of stories.

She blogs sometimes frequently, sometimes infrequently, at Even the Sparrows.
“Being independent doesn't mean keeping secrets from those who care about you.” 2 likes
“He laughed, and so did I. When I looked at him, my heart flip-flopped … like a fish on land. That’s not a very romantic simile, is it?” 2 likes