Start by marking “Tide of Shadows and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Tide of Shadows and Other Stories

Tide of Shadows and Other Stories

From Aidan Moher—Hugo Award-winning editor of A Dribble of Ink—comes Tide of Shadows and Other Stories, a collection of five science fiction and fantasy stories spanning adventure, comic whimsy, and powerful drama—from a star-faring military science fiction tale of love and sacrifice, to a romp through the dragon-infested Kingdom of Copperkettle Vale.

“A Night for Spirits
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 86 pages
Published May 4th 2015 by A Dribble of Ink

To ask other readers questions about Tide of Shadows and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tide of Shadows and Other Stories

Start your review of Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
Bob
Tide of Shadows and Other Stories, is a surprisingly solid debut collection from Aidan Moher, one that ably demonstrates his love for speculative fiction, along with his intimate understanding of the genre's tropes, forms, and styles. His Preface provides a nice author's introduction, and is in itself a well-written essay on the power and the voice of the short story. Meanwhile, the Story Notes that accompany each tale provide a glimpse into his mindset as reader, acknowledging his influences, ...more
Nicole
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Some thoughts on the individual stories in the collection. Note: I received this book from the author in return for an honest review.

1. "A Night of Spirits and Snowflakes" - 2.5 stars
A small band of mercenaries is fleeing the aftermath of a battle where both sides were nearly annihilated. I liked the premise of this story, but wasn't thrilled with the execution. The story shifts between perspectives a lot for such a short piece, and I found it disorientating and hard to follow.

2. "A Girl with
Rob Boffard
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a little bit like an indie game. It doesn’t last long, but you can’t stop thinking about the damn thing. It’s the sort of book which would never, ever be put out by a big publisher, and yet you’re extremely glad that it exists.

Tide Of Shadows and Other Stories is a book of five short stories by Aidan Moher, a Hugo-Award-Winning website editor. This alone is eyebrow raising; I stand to be corrected on this, but it seems pretty unusual for someone to win the science-fiction equivalent
Jim
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe that Aidan Moher is someone we need to look out for. These stories are strong and imaginative and original. I cannot wait to see what else he writes.
Lianne
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book for review from the author. You can read my full review of the book at my blog, eclectictales.com: http://www.eclectictales.com/blog/201...

Tide of Shadows and Other Stories is quite an eclectic collection of stories featured, each with a different tone and atmosphere to them. Each also had its own narrative voice that fit with the story it was telling. The stories themselves can be whimsical and a play on familiar fantasy tropes, like in “Of Parnassus and
Anya
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a collection of four short stories from the author. The first is that kind of fantasy where it is really just alternative historical without any magic or anything, and that's not really my genre of choice. The second is an interesting fantasy about a girl with wings that definitely raises more questions than it answers. The third is a parody fairytale about a prince rescuing a princess from a dragon, but with a twist that seemed a bit odd to me (and not because I'm against love triangles ...more
Shecky
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful variety of fun, thought-provoking and enthralling shorts. (For the record, I copyedited it, and even accounting for the bias therein, I found it to be delightful and satisfying.)
Sean Smith
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

The first thing that impressed me about this book was the cover. Hauntingly beautiful, with an impression of scale and loneliness, an impression which is realised and amplified throughout each of the five stories which make up this wonderful little volume.
Each of the five stories is told from one or more unique perspectives, and the characters Moher draws are achingly real. Although each story is short and so the time we get to spend with the characters is all too brief, each leaves a real sense
Dakeyras
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclaimers to get out of the way:
1. I tend to dislike short stories although as I age, I've begun to appreciate the medium. Still, I'm biased against them.
2. Aidan sent me a free copy of the stories via a give-away on Twitter.

Review:
Story 1 - A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes
At the start I was worried. The words are very lyrical and beautifully written....and that's not my style so I was beginning to suspect I wouldn't like this story. However, the further I got into the story, the more &
Keith Pishnery
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Considering how short this book is I'm going to offer a few words about each story.

"A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes"
Wonderfully atmospheric, this sad and foreboding tale shifts back and forth in time to great effect. It's almost perfect representation of what short stories can do that novels can't. This definitely set the collection off to a great start.

"The Girl with Wings of Iron and Down"
Unfortunately, this is the misfire of the collection for me. It's a bit too thematic and purposeful to
Pedro L. Fragoso
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Being a regular reader, and admirer, of A Dribble of Ink, I had to buy the ebook. The author is very clearly still finding his ground. He needed not come across as so humble. I've recently read Paul Theroux's Sunrise with Seamonters, an anthology of his first writings, but spanning more than 10 years and dozens of pieces. In the case, the transition between (something like a conscious effort of seemingly) tentative beginnings and (the absolute conviction of his own) mastery of subject and style ...more
Stephen
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Tide of Shadows. Throughout the five stories I experienced different adventures and journeys of the characters the stories were about. What I especially liked was the commentary that Aiden utilized after each story to let us know how the story came about and what influenced him to write it. Also loved the tidbit in the opening about how a book is a quiet companion but stories have loud, loud voices. So true, and I believe you would find this to be true in the tales that Aiden ...more
Priya
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The stories in this short story collection were fun to read. But what I appreciated the most (and what put the collection over the edge) were the author notes at the end. As a writer they really helped me think through how we build stories and character development. That being said I really loved A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes and The Color of the Sky on the Day the World Ended.
Charles
Stuff I Read - Tide of Shadows by Aidan Moher Review

This is a rather short collection of stories, but I like that it feels complete. Because through the stories and perhaps even more through the commentary after each story, a narrative emerges that centers not precisely on the stories themselves, but on the author's journey as a writer, refining his craft as he experiments, as he tries to bring his vision to a satisfying light. I will admit that many of the stories have a bit of a rough quality
J.R.
Jun 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Aidan Moher is better known for his Dribble of Ink fantasy site than he is for being an author, but all great writers of the genre first start as readers, so it's unsurprising that this collection has appeared.

Before we even open it up the cover beckons us in, exquisitely done and highly evocative. Whoever was responsible for this piece of art could (and maybe does) make a living out of it, easily.

Alongside this we have a recommendation from Brian Staveley of Emperor's Blades fame, which does
Micael Martel
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This collection of short stories started in a very interesting way, creating narratives that felt genuine and if not fresh, at least captivating. Unfortunately, it quickly fell into moralistic stories aimed to preach the authors views on society and culture that felt empty and lacked any subtlety. A cry for change that was devoid of any impact, which is suprising considering Moher's reputation as a reviewer.

As much as I liked his collection, I could not get over the preaching tone of it. He's
Matthew Marchitto
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
An anthology with great science fiction and fantasy stories. The two I liked the most were "A Night for Spirits and Snowflakes" (fantasy leaning into historical fiction) and "The Girl with Wings of Iron and Down" (science fiction). But there's also a fairy tale with a twist, and military sci-fi. There's definitely something for everyone here.

The Notes at the end of each story offer some insight into the author's thought process. I found these to be really interesting. Each story seemed to start
Ned Hayes
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

Interesting stories from a literary writer who poses thought provoking questions about what happens in between the moments we're used to reading about in standard SF
Elijs Dima
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unexpected.. and very interesting. Definitely not in my "comfort zone", but some of the beats and tones from these stories might resonate for a long time.
Ashes
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty good debut. Liked the author notes too.
Christoph
Matt
rated it it was ok
May 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
The Sword and Laser: Announcing Tide of Shadows and Other Stories! 8 45 May 04, 2015 09:49AM
Aidan Moher is Hugo Award-winning editor of A Dribble of Ink, and author of Tide of Shadows and Other Stories.

He grew up on a small island, and now lives on a larger island in British Columbia with his wife and daughter.