Start by marking “Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ” as Want to Read:
Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ

Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  24,309 ratings  ·  2,571 reviews
The key to living a happier, healthier life is inside us.

Our gut is almost as important to us as our brain or our heart, yet we know very little about how it works. In Gut, Giulia Enders shows that rather than the utilitarian and — let’s be honest — somewhat embarrassing body part we imagine it to be, it is one of the most complex, important, and even miraculo
Published May 7th 2015 by Scribe UK (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gut, please sign up.
Morgan Gariepy Giulia Enders is a laboratory scientist. Her book focuses on the biology and physiology of the digestive system.

Mary Roach is a journalist…more

Mary Roach is a journalist who is just very interested in science. Her book looks at strange and interesting science being done related to the digestive system.

Both books are highly entertaining and share a similar sense of humor. Both are worth reading. If you want more factual biology, go with Gut. If you want something a little more unusual, go with Gulp.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Marie PIERRE No. May be it’s possible contact the editor. Acte sud

·  24,309 ratings  ·  2,571 reviews

Start your review of Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ
Brian
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great intro to a fascinating subject, written with the casual reader and layperson in mind. It is almost unbelievable that we know so little about such an important part of our body (scientists know more about bees than they do about our belly-based bacteria). Our digestive system is the only part of our body that operates outside of the purview of our brain. Perhaps this is why we have so many emotional expressions that we tie to our belly ("gut reaction", "butterflies from being in l ...more
Emma
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*review based on Audible audiobook*

This is a book which is perfect for audio. Written for the layperson, it is informative and funny, but without the added benefit of an amazing narrator (who is able to get the tone just right), it may have seemed a little bit silly. Another reviewer noted the abundance of exclamation marks- in the text, that might be annoying, but when read aloud by Katy Sobey, the jokes and wry exclamations seem just right.

The content was interesting an
Jan-Maat
A charming book. Which seems an odd thing to write about a book which touches on bad breathe and its causes, tonsil stones(view spoiler), faeces, food intolerances, and vomiting (horses, the poor things, can't vomit, while we can co-ordinate our intestines to do so), and don't she says, attempt to induce vomiting, your gut and brain can ...more
Caro the Helmet Lady
I did enjoy scientific parts of this book, I found out some stuff I haven't heard before, but fart jokes and such became rather annoying at some point. I understand that the author was trying to keep it "light" so her readers wouldn't start yawning and dozing off on facts parts, but I think it would be better off without it... Oh well, maybe I'm just not the target reader for this book.

In general - pretty good, informative and rather recommended, especially if you didn't know you shouldn't put
Wanda
Recommended for those who would like to know more about how their bodies work, but are afraid of biological/medical jargon. Written by a young woman in medical school, this work explains things in lay-person’s terms and is very accessible.

A pretty good section on our reliance on gut bacteria to mentor our immune system and help us to process our food. She explains very clearly why too much cleanliness is not necessarily a good thing. (Did you know that the whole “cleanliness is next
Caroline
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book gives us a warm and friendly journey through the gut. Written in easy terms for the layman, and generously illustrated by the author's sister, this is a very accessible description of the journey of food through our bodies, and the critters it meets on the way down.

Giulia Enders is a doctoral student, and she wrote the book in response to a friend wanting to know more about the gut. To do this she did a lot of research, as is shown in the bibliography at the end. Regarding
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

DNF at 80%. I'm over the gut.

I really, really enjoy science books, especially anything having to do with medicine/the body. That make sense, of course, seeing as I have a degree in a medical field, but I really can't get enough of learning about the human body.

However, after listening to Mary Roach's Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, which I enjoyed very much, I thought I was ready for another round of intestinal delight. I was partly right.

What Mary Roach does is she breaks up a never-ending stre
Ella
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
I absolutely loved this! I learned so much about my own body it’s crazy!

I am pretty sure I have been raving about this book to my friends and family so much they could probably say they have read it as well haha

I had to share everything I learned since it feels so crucial we all are informed about what goes on inside us. All the bacteria, all the processes are fascinating and I ended up watching a lot of videos on YouTube about this (some were quite disgusting I have to admit 🙈)

Vanessa
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
3.5 stars.

In the year or so I have had a fascination with my own gut, after my doctor surmised that my stomach problems were because I have IBS. Since then I have read countless articles and watched countless videos on the subject, in an attempt to help me manage my gut and its problems better. So naturally, when Gut by Giulia Enders was released, I had to get it and read up on the subject from a more scientific point of view.

This book was a truly fascinating read, and I learned a lot of thi
Tanja Berg
Rating 3* out of 5. I'm not charmed. I found the writing childish with too many exclamation marks and didn't find things as funny as the author obviously did at times. I like the first 100 pages the best because of the numerous new things I learned, but the for the rest of the book I mostly just wished it would be over already. It's supposed to be fun and engaging and probably is to most people - to me it just fell a bit flat.
Warwick
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biology, anatomy
This is a jaunty, easily digestible précis of intestinal biology, an enterological cornucopia of facts and figures and buttock-clenching anecdotes. Expect a lot of often fascinating talk about poo and farting, rather like a Monty Python sketch without the punchlines, as well as layman's introductions to the latest research into probiotics, prebiotics, antibiotics, the human biome, and the mysterious relationship between your gut and your brain. I learned a lot. I also made several strategic alte ...more
Nigel
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it quite hard to know just what to say about this book. It is one of the most interesting books I've read in quite some time. It is also one of the most improbable page turners I've read. The illustrations are wonderful and quirky.

It's a book about what happens in the passage between the mouth and the backside. At times maybe it is not for the faint-hearted. You will learn quite a lot about your poo! However you will also learn a lot about your gut bacteria and their impact -
Lois Bujold
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who lives in a body
Recommended to Lois by: random internet review

Neat little owner's manual for your digestive system, straightforward, humorous, and jargon-free. Complex ideas are presented as simply as possible, to reach as broad an audience as possible. It also included a lot of information I hadn't known, either because it was new, or because I hadn't been paying attention.

Recommended.

Ta, L.
Anatoly
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This was a nice and an interesting read. Although written in simple language and full of humor and funny anecdotes, this book is quite informative and encompasses a great deal of knowledge.
But, this is also it`s downside. This is a really good start for those who don`t have any prior knowledge on the subject or don`t have a scientific background. But for those that are looking for something less light and a bit more scientific I would recommend something else.

Karina
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
A lot of overlap with Mary Roach's Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal, naturally, and - as it turns out - I prefer Roach's style. This one has cutesy illustrations and a title that makes a horrendously cute rhyme in the German and Norwegian editions, which is obviously a plus.
Sadie
The (original German) title nails it: Darm mit Charme (charmful gut / gut's charm), for this is a very charmful book indeed. It was not only super interesting and helpful, giving the reader lots and lots of insights of what is really going on down there, below the stomach area, you know, in this bundle of intestines that somehow transforms food into, well, poop. But that's not all it does by far - and even though we know about some of the gut's extra powers, might have read or heard about its inhabitants who ke ...more
Mary
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, science, health
Ok, I'll go (down) there, Enders presents a tour de force of the alimentary canal focusing on the importance of gut and its beloved, misunderstood bacteria. This book makes it to my very short list of most helpful books ever. Plus she's a gen-u-ine scientist, clever, funny, likeable and has mastery over the substance and content of her book. She makes the case that the human body is gut-heart-lungs-brain. Other researchers contend that gut bacteria should be classified as an ORGAN! Thank you swe ...more
Arminius
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-book, science
Second in importance, only to the Brain, in our miraculous body is what is called the Gut. Gut is the shortened name of gastrointestinal tract which is the long tube that starts at the mouth and ends at the back passage. It includes the Liver, Gallbladder, Stomach, Pancreas, Large and small Intestine, the Appendix and Anus. The author claims that much of our health is determined by the Gut including Allergies, intolerances and reflux.

The one interesting bit of information the author provides is
Charlene
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a book on gut microbes and want to avoid pseudoscience and delve into a book which contains solid science, this book is an excellent choice. Oddly, I find that ratings for pseudoscience books like Perlmutter's Grain Brain are often higher than they are for books written by responsible scientists who will not make claims or provide any suggestions that are not scientifically studied and replicated. My guess is that real science, which doesn't yet have all the answers about ...more
❤Marie Gentilcore
This was a fascinating and informative read. I really enjoyed learning about the gut. I especially liked learning that the appendix is not a useless appendage and that it is surrounded by immune tissue. The tonsils are also surrounded by immune tissue and both of these appendages play a role in our health. The information in this book was presented in an easy to understand way.
Jeanette
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any human, healthy or not, would probably learn something of considerable help when reading this book- that's how many exact facts are here. Some of which you have probably wondered about (especially if you've had kids or changed diapers or had travel/motion sickness) or even have had side effects of constipation or dry mouth from travel or medicine. Tons of other excellent and pertinent details that doctors never truly discuss with their patients.

She also has consistent humor and intellectual
BookishStitcher
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so many amazing facts from this book. Including some that I will never forget and with which I permanently scarred my husband by having him which YouTube videos on what they are. I'm looking at you Tonsil Stones (don't look up videos on this on YT unless you are not squeamish).

This book really motivated me to add some more fermented foods into my diet, and to look at my gut as something I can improve to help all areas of my life. I love books like this where you walk away with a new w
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Part of my business is holistic health coaching, so Giulia Enders’ Gut is my kind of book. The full title is actually Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body’s Most Underrated Organ. I think that when it was written in 2014, there were many fewer public conversations about the gut than exist today. Our eyes have been opened, in part due to books like this.

Gut is written with the layperson in mind. You don’t need to be a scientist. In fact, Enders is quite funny and even charming as she des
Jana Light
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, science, food
Delightful, informative, science-y. This was such a fun read, and the illustrations add to the quirky tone. I learned so much about the digestive system (A SECOND BRAIN?!), am now totally enthralled by it, and am motivated to eat in a way that is kinder to my happy bacteria friends.

I took away one star because sometimes Enders gestured towards some almost-pseudo-science, and I felt there were some questions that were either never addressed or that were glossed over. (What happens in
Vicki Willis
This book was very interesting and informative. I learned things that I had never though of before. It was well written in a way that was easy to understand. My favorite parts were about the nervous system in regards to the gut and the bacteria section. There is a lot to be said about taking care of your gut and using it to improve your health.
Bex
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooo informative and even an un-sciencey person like myself could understand it all!! New mantra: I am an ecosystem!
Debarghya Paul
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing would be an understatement for this book. “Gut” is the delightful international bestseller by doctor-scientist Giulia Enders. In this book the author talks about the much needed credit and recognition for one of our least understood body organ- the Gut. Through the chapters you get to understand your body and food habits better. And get to know about things which are often embarrassing but nonetheless important and even miraculous.

The best thing about the book is that it’s co
J.F. Penn
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Really interesting book. I take my Gut for granted as it rarely gives me trouble but people I love have IBS so I'm interested in finding out more. Definitely some squirming moments in reading this, but well worth it!
Michael Clark
Gut is a fun and informative read about the gastrointestinal tract. It’s thoroughly entertaining. Giulia Enders’ writing and passion for the gut is charming, endearing and, at times, a little infectious (dad joke).

The only reason the book didn’t score higher is that Enders occasionally over simplifies the topic (making it come off a little juvenile). Her heavy reliance on tangential anecdotes also starts to get a little tired towards the end of the book. It’s almost as if she doesn’t
Amrita Srikanth
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I learnt from this book:
- Why farting is good for you
- A depressed mind could be linked to a shitty (pun intended) gut
- 50 Grades of Poo - the good, the bad, and everything in between
- Why I should continue ending my meals with good old yoghurt
- The next time I feel like a small, useless speck in the universe, I must remember that I have a universe inside of me
...And a whole lot of other shit!
Very interesting, very entertaining, and the little drawi
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge editions 3 20 May 10, 2018 05:28PM

• Hautnah
  • Heart: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Heroic Organ
  • Gleden med skjeden
  • Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
  • Der Ernährungskompass: Das Fazit aller wissenschaftlichen Studien zum Thema Ernährung
  • Darüber spricht man nicht
  • BLISS : De nya antiinflammatoriska nycklarna till ett längre, godare liv
  • The Secret of Skin (All Things You Should Know About Skin)
  • Välj hälsa! : mina samlade råd för ett friskare liv - hela berättelsen om antiinflammatorisk kost, god tarmflora och hur du ändrar din livsstil
  • Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain–for Life
  • Hjernen er stjernen
  • Вальс гормонов: вес, сон, секс, красота и здоровье как по нотам
  • 10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness
  • The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Astonishing Dialogue Taking Place in Our Bodies Impacts Health, Weight, and Mood
  • The Clever Guts Diet
  • Jeg skulle ha sagt jeg elsker deg
  • The Good Gut: Taking Control of Your Weight, Your Mood, and Your Long-term Health
  • Selbstvertrauen: Die Kunst, dein Ding zu machen
Giulia Enders (born 1990) is a German physician and writer.

Enders is a two-time scholarship winner of the Wilhelm Undelse Heraeus Foundation and currently works on her doctorate of medicine at the Institute for Microbiology in Frankfurt.

In 2012 she won the first prize at the Science Slam in Freiburg, Berlin and Karlsruhe with her talk Darm mit Charme (Charming Bowels). This
“While some of us might be sitting around thinking “Nobody cares about me!”, our heart is currently working its seventeen-thousandth twenty-four-hour shift—and would have every right to feel a little forgotten when its owner thinks such thoughts.” 22 likes
“Looking closer at human beings, it becomes clear that each of us is a world of our own. Our forehead is a breezy meadow, our elbows are arid wastelands, our eyes are salty lakes, and our gut is the most amazing giant forest ever, populated by the weirdest of creatures.” 15 likes