Start by marking “Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message” as Want to Read:
Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message

Playing Big: Find Your Voice, Your Mission, Your Message

A groundbreaking women’s leadership expert and popular conference speaker gives women the practical skills to voice and implement the changes they want to see—in themselves and in the world

In her coaching and programs for women, Tara Mohr saw how women were "playing small" in their lives and careers, were frustrated by it, and wanted to "play bigger." She has devised a
Published December 29th 2015 by Avery (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Playing Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Big

Andrea McDowell
Playing Big first came to my attention when it was published last year, in part due to its promotion in some feminist and quasi-feminist spaces I participate in online. But I wasn't sure enough of the book to spring for the hardcover, so put myself on the library holds list, and yes, it's taken this long for me to get a copy to read.

And boy, am I ever glad I didn't pay for it.

Mohr's heart is in the right place. She wanted to write a book that would help women overcome the internalization of the
Maya Smart
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Tara Mohr is on a mission to help women speak up and influence the world for the better. She says her lifelong calling is ”to recognize where women’s voices are missing and do what I can, in my corner of the world, to help bring them in.”

As a child, Mohr advocated for an English curriculum that featured more women authors and female protagonists. Today, she’s running a global leadership program and sharing its central tenets with a wider audience through her book, “Playing Big.”

Heartening and pr
Jayeeta
I really enjoyed this book. It gave me quite a few tips and tricks to apply in my daily life to think and play bigger. It helped me understand the value of my inner critic and gave me a different perspective of towards it. This books is definitely going into my To Be re-Read shelf.
Deanna
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I'm just getting into the message of this book and it challenges me to think differently. At 58 years old that may be difficult because some things are so ingrained, but I will give it a try because I really want to be able to do more than what I am.

Thanks for a change of perspective.
Josette Leblanc
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most important books I've read. I put its influence on my life next to the work of Brene Brown, Christiane Northrup, and Carol Dweck. These women have opened my eyes to parts of my life I had been ignoring. Tara Mohr did the same in relation to me finding my voice and the strength to listen to it. Every woman who has ever struggled with living the life they want needs to read this book. I'm grateful that at 37 I am starting to understand what it means to play big thanks to Tar ...more
Mosquitoeditor
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Didn't think I would enjoy this but it was fab! Now to do the exercises
Tess
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic.
Marrije
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ladies, read this. It's time.
Heather
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! One of the best I have read in awhile.
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Is it a vastly different self help book than others on similar topics? Probably not, but there are several nuggets in this book that have stuck with me since I first read it a few months ago. There were a couple parts I skimmed over and basically read the highlights at the end of the chapter and feel I got the jist, but the majority were insightful and relevant.

In a nutshell, this book is for women who have great ideas, are smart and insightful, and could re
Sadie-jane (sj) Nunis
I am not a big fan of books like Ms Mohr’s to be honest. I will read them on occasion but they are not top priority on my list. However, I have to say, I am glad I had to read this for work since I write book reviews. I am on the fence as there are some parts I enjoyed and some parts I rolled my eyes at.
Ms Mohr’s approach to the book to help women overcome being treated like second-rate citizens is a fantastic ambition. In some parts of the book, she succeeded, in other parts, the execution fai
Alison Jones
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a bit suspicious of this book - it came highly recommended by someone I respect, but still: I've seen SO MANY books about What Holds Women Back And What To Do About It that I worried there'd be nothing new to say.

TBH, there is quite a lot of stuff we've all heard before here. But hey, that's because so much of it is true and important. I don't mind being reminded of stuff that's true and important. And a few of the stories did feel a bit staged.

But there was also some stuff that felt fre
Nika
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I had a very open mind about the book before I stared reading it. Very disappointed, here are a number of points why I would never recommend it to anyone:

1. The Title

The author says that women "play low" in their professional lifes, and should "play big". Why do I have to "play" to be big? Am I, as I am not enough?

2. Fake Personas

The author claims that every time you are in doubt, it's not really you but your "inner critic". You should give this critic a face, name, voice etc. And when you need
Eline
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5/5 - Na mijn valse start met de kurkdroge Nederlandse vertaling (alleszins, de inleiding was te droog, verder ben ik niet geraakt), ben ik naar de audioboek versie van dit boek beginnen luisteren. Dat ging onmiddellijk een stuk vlotter. Tara Mohr heeft een aangename stem om naar te luisteren en brengt haar boek heel erg vlot.

Playing Big verbaasde me op een positieve manier, de tekst was op een intelligente manier geschreven (ok, ik beken, ik heb het over het algemeen niet op zelfhulpboeken)
Melanie
I won this in a Good Reads First Reads drawing!

3.5 stars. With a bit of editing or tightening, I think the final book would be almost 4 stars. The introduction is almost 30 pages, and the chapter lengths vary widely; some are over 30 pages, some are barely fifteen.

Despite lots of reading and hearing about motivational and leadership types, I'd never heard of Tara Mohr until I won this book. She seems to be a life coach with a perennially optimistic perspective. The book is about teaching women
Anastasia
Amazing.

"The past was a world defined, designed and led by men. The future - we hope - will be a world defined, designed and led by women and men. The present is the transition. Those of us born into this time were born into a unique and remarkable historical moment, a moment of in-between.
...
You don't have to intend to be a change agent. When a woman truly begins to play big according to what that means to her, she becomes one, naturally."

My sister had told me that she loved Tara Mohr and th
Kirtida Gautam
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chakra-3
Hmm.
There are so many parts of this book that I have highlighted.
Every seeker has a medium, something OUT in the universe that speaks with the seeker. For me, books have been that medium. Every time, I hit a stonewall, I find books. They speak to me. It feels that the writer wrote the book for me, only for me. So I can learn and move to the next part of the journey.
It feels such an intimate one-on-one conversation that I can't believe the writer had any other reader in mind while writing the
Lisa
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads- I had never heard of Tara Mohr until I won this book
The introduction is a little long, but if you are thinking of making a career move/change, want to make a bigger impact around you OR if you have a major undertaking/project that you are bogged down on getting started or are stuck in progressing due to talking yourself out of it this is the book for you. Make sure to get out your highlighters & note book, because you will
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was another life changing book for me. Some concepts are not new, but the examples Tara gives from her practice and real-life stories are what allow you to see where you need to change.

She doesn't sugar coat it either - you'll always have critics, even more when you start to "play big."

This is the book I wish I had when I graduated college. Met my goal to finish it before the end of the year so that in 2017 I can focus on the concepts and track my growth!
Kim
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance reader copy from goodreads first reads. There were a few chapters that really resonated with me and gave me some pratical tips to start playing big now. There was a section on how we diminish ourselves in our speech and emails and this information was really helpful to me. The section on our inner mentor and what kind of clothes they wear etc was a little too airy fairy for my taste. Overall there are some good tidbits for women in leadership positions.
Sheri
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-happy-life
A wonderful book for women of any age. Tara is like a loving friend, seeing more in you than you see in yourself. She encourages women to follow their callings (which she defines differently than most) and to share their talents with the world. An enjoyable read with journaling questions at the end of every chapter to help the reader to absorb the lessons.
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has really changed the way that I think about success, my place in the world, and questioning what has made me successful in the past and might not work now that I'm wanting to play big in my career and my life as an adult. I hope she writes a similar book for men in the future - there is too much goodness here that applies to both genders.
Stacy
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad my book club read this. While I'm still trying to pinpoint how I'm going to play big and what 60-year old Stacy will be like, I doing better listening to my inner mentor, telling my inner critic to shut up and identifying how to best use my strengths each day.
Cynthia Shannon
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
As far as self-help for women in the workplace goes, this is a really useful book! I don't normally pick these up but I enjoyed Tara's presentation at my company. There were definitely parts that made me go, 'hmmm...' and re-evaluate how I see/do things. Recommended for guys too.
Shahla Kakasur
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help-books
Simply Amazing !
A must read book for women who want to contribute, have ideas, want to stand out and those who want to play big...
its an easy going book that uncover the reasons that are standing on your way to playing big
Berber Bijlsma
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE this book. It made me become aware of what is keeping me from doing what I really want to do and how I can change it. I bet there is even a chance for men to get deep insights out of it. A must read for every woman who wants to step aside from their doubts.
Lis
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
While there are good nuggets of advice, much of this I've heard before (and better written). It is almost as though this is the way she speaks and presents, which doesn't always translate well into writing.
Audrey
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
"playing big is about learning how to use your voice to change systems. it's about refocusing your attention on your longings and dreams, and playing big is going for them." really enjoyed the authors genuine motivation for writing this. the Inner Mentor exercise was eye opening
Natalie Wakes
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a must read, especially if you struggle with self doubt! The only reason I deducted a star was because I think that some men could benefit from all of the points in this book and it was very much directed towards women and therefore hard to recommend to all.
Emma
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Packed full of useful thoughts and suggestions. The distinction between two kinds of fear, the inner mentor meditation, the email checklist - these have all been immediately useful. I'm sure I'll continue to refer to it.
Old Souls Book Club: Don't use critical thinking to create your dreams! 3 7 Sep 27, 2017 02:54PM

• The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • Body of Work: Finding the Thread that Ties Your Career Together
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It
  • Resilience: Facing Down Rejection and Criticism on the Road to Success
  • Let Me Out: Unlock Your Creative Mind and Bring Your Ideas to Life
  • It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • The Strength Switch: How the New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help Your Child and Your Teen to Flourish
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • The Telephone Book: Technology, Schizophrenia, Electric Speech
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program
  • The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising
  • Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • Leap First: Creating Work That Matters
  • The Right-and Wrong-Stuff: How Brilliant Careers Are Made and Unmade
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology
“Feedback doesn’t tell you about yourself. It tells you about the person giving the feedback. In other words, if someone says your work is gorgeous, that just tells you about *their* taste. If you put out a new product and it doesn’t sell at all, that tells you something about what your audience does and doesn’t want. When we look at praise and criticism as information about the people giving it, we tend to get really curious about the feedback, rather than dejected or defensive.” 7 likes
“Research shows that women incur social costs for advocating for themselves too strongly; they are seen as less likable by those around them, especially by other women.” 3 likes