Start by marking “Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine” as Want to Read:
Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine

Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine

ISBN: 9789896379575

Vibrante, complexo e sofisticado, o vinho é uma bebida sem igual. Pode ser divertido, mas também uma viagem de sabores, memórias e vivências. Navegar no mundo dos vinhos é uma experiência assustadora para principiantes, por isso, Doidos por Vinho é o guia perfeito para os novos apreciadores. Combinando uma escrita acessível e um design infográfico modern
Published September 22nd 2015 by Avery

Start your review of Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine
Beth
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out of the Library and kept it way longer than I should have, and ultimately decided to buy my own copy for reference. Infographics inform the reader how to recognize a varietal by the shape of it's bottle, define what glass to deliver your wine in, and advise how to pair wine with food. Each wine gets a two-page spread that shows (again, ALL in infographics!) the range of flavors for that particular grape, explains how the regions soil and climate affects taste, and offers tidbit ...more
Adam McNamara
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The Essential Guide to Wine is one of the best beginner's guides I've encountered in any genre, period.

It's organized logically. Readers are first introduced to the fundamentals of wine - the characteristics of taste and smell, how those characteristics organize wines into broad styles (Light White, Light Red, and so on), and how those styles pair with food.

The voice and tone of the book is exceptional. The language is information dense while remaining straightforward and fun. It doesn't take it
Bridget
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the graphics. Love, love, love. And the maps are clear and easy to understand. They won't help you understand the greater intricacies within regions, but that's a job for a much longer and larger book. It also falls into the very easy trap of not really explaining the difference between grapes and wines. They're all sort of jumbled together. But on the whole, I love the way it approached wine.

However, there are two negatives to this volume:

1. I wish it was spiral bound so it would lay fl
Miquel
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
The unfortunate part about this book is that it looks great and gives any potential reader the idea that it's a shortcut to learning about wine. That may seem like a positive but it's not as it completely fools people into thinking that it's an authoritative source when it's not.

The content is gleaned a great deal from Wikipedia (clear given some translation errors that were present on WP that are then carried into this book) and information sometimes "borrowed" from actual references. It's litt
Kerri Pierce
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always knew what I liked and didn’t like in terms of wine, but now I understand the why behind my preferences. This is an excellent book to give a novice wine enthusiast the basic knowledge surrounding all things wine. Drink up!
Joe Michalak
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Much of the information in Wine Folly would be considered review for even the newest of aspirational sommeliers. That said, the tasting wheels would serve as a good reference at anytime, and the associated regional comparisons by grape type also serve as a good tasting exercise.
Finlay
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
A short reference to tasting, types, and regions, mostly in an infographic format. The visual format for taste profiles (eg, fruit, body, acidity, tannins) and flavours makes it easy to compare and to find something with a specific profile. Not comprehensive, but very approachable and helpful.
Rebekka
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've recently decided tht I want to be a Sommelier, because....why not? This is a great reference book tht is easy to read because of its well done graphic design. A great start for anyone who may be intimidated or looking to get more than just a basic knowledge of wine.
Ioana
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, varia
Quite schematic, so good if you’re in a hurry and can’t spend too much time on this subject. Rather for people who like charts and drawings and maps. Informative enough if, say, you’re expecting the queen of England for dinner and you’re not sure if a beef stew would best be served with a Nero d’Avola or a Petit Sirah.
Kim
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic resource; beautiful graphic illustrations; and somehow both concise and comprehensive.
Shirley Bateman
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Great for wine novices and perfect for vino aficionados. The graphics are stunning too.
Mike Mason
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have this at home, reference it when looking to pair food, find new tastes and understand what you're drinking. A great conversation piece.
Aluísio Leibanti
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book to own! More like a reference guide with important tips and awesome information that should be revisited from time to time - for novice and aficcionados!
Leslie McNamara
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
Great reference! Enjoyed learning about the different grapes, regions, and tasting notes.
Hanna Sharuk
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good beginner's guide to the wine art:)
Not much text information, but a great visual format (maps, infographics). The book is like an encyclopedia, it's easy to navigate between the different sorts and countries and to find the necessary information.
Lucy
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really helpful guide with great graphics.
Jo
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, wine
I learned that I prefer wines at the far ends of the spectrum: light whites and full-bodied reds. I wonder what my "extreme" preferences mean? Am I a non-taster? I may have to do a taste-bud test to find out!
Kat
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Granted, the graphics are great, but the author's knowledge is extremely inaccurate, and lacks depth. Incomplete facts and details is atrocious, and borders on making things up when she does not know the facts. I’m somewhat shocked at the number of people in the industry that respect her, because her work is horribly derivative without giving credit for the source. If you want to learn about wine, buy a real wine book from author Jancis Robinson who knows what she is talking about.
Peter White
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nice graphic design but too brief and reference material too limited to even keep as a reference book. If you like the author's approach to wine writing (and I do!) you're better off just subscribing to her blog and using online tools for references.
Christine
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this for my Birthday and I loved it! I am doing the Wine Challenge in the book in 2016. If you are interested in joiningme let me know! It was perfect for me being a reverse Wine Snob... :)
Margaux Burgess
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'd give it no stars preferably. Terrible and full of inaccuracies. Do not use this to learn about wine.
Shawn P
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
An OK book for beginners, but only glosses over the surface for most topics. Budding oenophiles looking to build a solid foundation would have to look elsewhere.
Meredith
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This guidebook walks the reader through wine basics, including cheat sheets for all those crazy tasting notes that so mystify non-wine enthusiasts. It discusses the most common types of wine, which are broken down into nine different styles: sparkling wine, light-bodied white wine, full-bodied white wine, aromatic white wine, aromatic white wine, rosé wine, light-bodied red wine, medium-bodied red wine, full-bodied red wine, and dessert wine. How is read a wine label is explained, and there is a ...more
Ben Labe
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine
Wine Folly is essentially a picture book about wine. Almost all of the information contained therein is delivered through some sort of graphic, chart, or map. While most of these are useful and easy-to-read, some of them (particularly the largely gross and unhelpful food pairing guides) sacrifice legibility for style. You'll get through this book in no time, but that's partially because it is not meant for perusing but rather casually browsing or referencing. The maps at the end are especially u ...more
Jake Jacobs
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book for beginners

I enjoy wine but have never studied it. I recently stocked up on a couple cases of some higher end vintages to assist in dealing with corvid19 isolation. Decided it was time to learn something of the many types, mostly red, of fine wines selected by our local wine shop expert for curbside pickup. Maybe I’ll learn enough to make some good selections in the future without much assistance, This book was a good beginning for me. I have the Kindle version, but would recommend t
Matt Lennert
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
For anyone who wants to start their journey into learning about wine, this is the go-to book. The first book any wine lover should own. It's almost entirely infographics, which make the knowledge far less intimidating. The charts and graphs, icons and colors are clear and concise and fun to look at. The book sucks you in; I've seen it first hand when I handed the book to dinner guests and they wouldn't put it down for an hour as they were delighted by the graphics. I use the book as a quick refe ...more
Jordan
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
a very easy to read, non-intimidating first book to have for wine. one night i got a little wine drunk and ordered a bunch of wine books (including The Wine Bible and Windows on the World) and this is just the most approachable while being very informative. If I want to know something about a certain wine region or grape I will often look here first before going into my other resources.

It's visually a very beautiful book and like I've kinda hinted at, provides just enough information to be infor
Simon Bullock
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an intro to wine book goes, it is suitable in its purpose, however, spends a great deal of pages going over each and every major wine grape varietal. Only the first 40 pages are used for understanding the many other aspects necessary to become an education wine consumer. The Grape variety pages are excellent and easy to navigate with their graphics, but the book itself is a bit short of substance beyond varietal and appellation knowledge.
Melissa
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent, easy guide for understanding the basics of wine. The main content of the book is focused on grape varietals: where they are grown, aromas, flavors, acidity, tannins, body, etc. Wine Folly relies on charts and image graphics to organize and break down the science of wine, which I think makes it a much quicker learning tool than other wine books. It’s great to have on hand while drinking a new bottle of wine!
Ken Miller
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for reference. The intro and fundamentals cover the basics of wine and wine tasting. The styles of wine section covers the detailed of each wine style with diagrams to describe the profile, possible flavors, dominant flavors, where it grows, regional differences, similar wines and how to serve it.
I often find myself referring back to the book. It’s as current today as it was when I bought it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wine Bible
  • The World Atlas of Wine
  • The New Wine Rules: A Genuinely Helpful Guide to Everything You Need to Know
  • The 24-Hour Wine Expert
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course
  • Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste
  • The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine
  • Wine. All the Time.: The Casual Guide to Confident Drinking
  • Judgment of Paris:  California vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine
  • The Oxford Companion to Wine
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer’s Tour of France
  • Cookie Recipes
  • How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time
  • Tasty Latest and Greatest: Everything You Want to Cook Right Now
  • Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure
  • Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl