Start by marking “Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine” as Want to Read:
Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine

Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine

ISBN: 9789896379575

Vibrante, complexo e sofisticado, o vinho é uma bebida sem igual. Pode ser divertido, mas também uma viagem de sabores, memórias e vivências. Navegar no mundo dos vinhos é uma experiência assustadora para principiantes, por isso, Doidos por Vinho é o guia perfeito para os novos apreciadores. Combinando uma escrita acessível e um design infográfico modern
Published September 22nd 2015 by Avery

Start your review of Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine
Beth
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out of the Library and kept it way longer than I should have, and ultimately decided to buy my own copy for reference. Infographics inform the reader how to recognize a varietal by the shape of it's bottle, define what glass to deliver your wine in, and advise how to pair wine with food. Each wine gets a two-page spread that shows (again, ALL in infographics!) the range of flavors for that particular grape, explains how the regions soil and climate affects taste, and offers tidbit ...more
Miquel
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
The unfortunate part about this book is that it looks great and gives any potential reader the idea that it's a shortcut to learning about wine. That may seem like a positive but it's not as it completely fools people into thinking that it's an authoritative source when it's not.

The content is gleaned a great deal from Wikipedia (clear given some translation errors that were present on WP that are then carried into this book) and information sometimes "borrowed" from actual references. It's litt
Adam McNamara
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
The Essential Guide to Wine is one of the best beginner's guides I've encountered in any genre, period.

It's organized logically. Readers are first introduced to the fundamentals of wine - the characteristics of taste and smell, how those characteristics organize wines into broad styles (Light White, Light Red, and so on), and how those styles pair with food.

The voice and tone of the book is exceptional. The language is information dense while remaining straightforward and fun. It doesn't take it
Bridget
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the graphics. Love, love, love. And the maps are clear and easy to understand. They won't help you understand the greater intricacies within regions, but that's a job for a much longer and larger book. It also falls into the very easy trap of not really explaining the difference between grapes and wines. They're all sort of jumbled together. But on the whole, I love the way it approached wine.

However, there are two negatives to this volume:

1. I wish it was spiral bound so it would lay fl
Kerri Pierce
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always knew what I liked and didn’t like in terms of wine, but now I understand the why behind my preferences. This is an excellent book to give a novice wine enthusiast the basic knowledge surrounding all things wine. Drink up!
Joe Michalak
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Much of the information in Wine Folly would be considered review for even the newest of aspirational sommeliers. That said, the tasting wheels would serve as a good reference at anytime, and the associated regional comparisons by grape type also serve as a good tasting exercise.
Finlay
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
A short reference to tasting, types, and regions, mostly in an infographic format. The visual format for taste profiles (eg, fruit, body, acidity, tannins) and flavours makes it easy to compare and to find something with a specific profile. Not comprehensive, but very approachable and helpful.
Susie
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So informative, will definitely be going back to this later.
April
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Informative. Read in one quick sitting
Rebekka
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've recently decided tht I want to be a Sommelier, because....why not? This is a great reference book tht is easy to read because of its well done graphic design. A great start for anyone who may be intimidated or looking to get more than just a basic knowledge of wine. ...more
Caroline
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, kitchenwitch
My husband got this when attending a course through work. I've never been knowledgeable about wine, so decided to give it a go! This takes you through all the basics of wine, from how to taste and handle it and what to pair them with.
The biggest chunk of the book describes all the different styles of wine from sparkling to dessert wines. There's also a big part on wine regions.
I got many ideas for what I want to try! Now I know how to properly taste too. This has definitely inspired me to try di
Ioana
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, varia
Quite schematic, so good if you’re in a hurry and can’t spend too much time on this subject. Rather for people who like charts and drawings and maps. Informative enough if, say, you’re expecting the queen of England for dinner and you’re not sure if a beef stew would best be served with a Nero d’Avola or a Petit Sirah.
Kim
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic resource; beautiful graphic illustrations; and somehow both concise and comprehensive.
Shirley Bateman
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Great for wine novices and perfect for vino aficionados. The graphics are stunning too.
Mike Mason
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have this at home, reference it when looking to pair food, find new tastes and understand what you're drinking. A great conversation piece. ...more
Aluísio Leibanti
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book to own! More like a reference guide with important tips and awesome information that should be revisited from time to time - for novice and aficcionados!
Leslie McNamara
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
Great reference! Enjoyed learning about the different grapes, regions, and tasting notes.
Hanna Sharuk
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good beginner's guide to the wine art:)
Not much text information, but a great visual format (maps, infographics). The book is like an encyclopedia, it's easy to navigate between the different sorts and countries and to find the necessary information.
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great primer on all things essential to wine. Fun for the novice and expert alike. Easy to read, great visuals.
Jonathan Cassie
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know anything about wine, but I know a bit about data visualization and I can say that as a result of the way this book structures the story of wine, I now know a great deal more! One of the most helpful non-fiction books I've read this year. ...more
Jenny Ocana-Dickson
A non-intimidating, beautiful, and informative introduction to the world of wine. The sleek graphics and concise descriptions are both easily digestible and fun to study.

There seems to be many editions with similar covers and different titles. Only the 'kindle edition' cover matches my hardback hmmm. Nonetheless, it looks great on a coffee table and I expect will always be useful to dip into for deciding on dinner pairings!
Scott
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-wine
Of the five or so introduction to wine books I plowed through in a week, I thought this was the best for me. It covered the same ground as the others–providing a rough overview of types of wine, how to buy, deciphering labels, and tips on how to fine a better bottle. What set this one apart was the extensive guide to individual types of wine: detailing origin, taste and aroma profiles, and drinking and storage guidelines. I think it is the best handbook for learning to appreciate the actual expe ...more
Lucy
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really helpful guide with great graphics.
Olga Rusu
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great source of information for beginners!
Jo
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wine, non-fiction
I learned that I prefer wines at the far ends of the spectrum: light whites and full-bodied reds. I wonder what my "extreme" preferences mean? Am I a non-taster? I may have to do a taste-bud test to find out! ...more
Kat
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Granted, the graphics are great, but the author's knowledge is extremely inaccurate, and lacks depth. Incomplete facts and details is atrocious, and borders on making things up when she does not know the facts. I’m somewhat shocked at the number of people in the industry that respect her, because her work is horribly derivative without giving credit for the source. If you want to learn about wine, buy a real wine book from author Jancis Robinson who knows what she is talking about. ...more
Peter White
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nice graphic design but too brief and reference material too limited to even keep as a reference book. If you like the author's approach to wine writing (and I do!) you're better off just subscribing to her blog and using online tools for references.
Christine
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this for my Birthday and I loved it! I am doing the Wine Challenge in the book in 2016. If you are interested in joiningme let me know! It was perfect for me being a reverse Wine Snob... :)
Margaux Burgess
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'd give it no stars preferably. Terrible and full of inaccuracies. Do not use this to learn about wine. ...more
Omar Alberto Heredia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to wine!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Wine Bible
  • Windows on the World Complete Wine Course
  • The World Atlas of Wine
  • The 24-Hour Wine Expert
  • Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste
  • The New Wine Rules: A Genuinely Helpful Guide to Everything You Need to Know
  • Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure
  • Wine. All the Time.: The Casual Guide to Confident Drinking
  • The World Atlas of Coffee: From Beans to Brewing -- Coffees Explored, Explained and Enjoyed
  • The Taste of Wine: The Art and Science of Wine Appreciation