Start by marking “We Come Apart” as Want to Read:
We Come Apart

We Come Apart

From two acclaimed authors comes an emotional story told in verse about friendship, love, and overcoming unbeatable odds.

Authors Brian Conaghan and Sarah Crossan have joined forces to tell the story of Nicu and Jess, two troubled teens whose paths cross in the unlikeliest of places.

Nicu has emigrated from Romania and is struggling to find his place in his new home. Meanwhi
Published February 9th 2017 by Bloomsbury Childrens

To ask other readers questions about We Come Apart, please sign up.
Edie The book is set when it was written (2017)
Amy I wouldn’t say it was bad, not what I wanted but still it is something that makes you love Nicu more :)

Start your review of We Come Apart
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book is definitely coming out at the right time (with what's happening around the world right now) and its message is immensely powerful.
It follows two unlikely friends as they meet and get to know each other as a part of a juvenile reform course due to both Nicu and Jess being caught shoplifting. Nicu has recently emigrated to the UK from Romania and Jess lives in an unsafe and abusive home.
As this book isn't officially released yet, I'll just list the things that really stuck out for me:
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
‘But I want to stay here.’ I praying to them.
Here, what is here?’ Tata say. ‘People hate us here.’
‘Nicu, people
here only see our skin, not the thing
within,’ Mamica say,

We Come Apart is a very heartbreaking novel beautifully written in verse about friendship and love. The themes of immigration, racism, abuse, and bullying are all very prominent to the story as well. It is a quick read that took me no more than a couple hours. The characters are strong, well-developed and real. While I felt em
Rebecca McNutt
We Come Apart is a very timely story told in verse, and I liked the two main characters, but I often found the poetry disjointed and scattered, and the ending made absolutely no sense at all. Jess was also kind of a jerk to Nicu, which seemed very odd for two characters who are supposed to have some sort of connection.
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, ebook, z2017, netgalley
This was a quick pleasant read. I can't give it more than three stars though because I had quite a few issues with it. It is such a relevant book though and so I think people should read it.

I'll start off with the good! Nicu was a lovely character. He was so adorable and sweet, I loved him! I'm not sure which author wrote Nicu's POV but it was amazing. The author completely submerged themselves into writing this character and I found Nicu was done very well. I would like to know who wrote Nicu
may ❀
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
hardcore skimming from 50% onward

there's nothing technically wrong with this book. i just found it REALLY hard to read through the verse. the plot did nothing for me and i was very uninterested after a few pages.

and its so sad bc i really love sarah crossan's work but sadly this one was a total bust.

also the ending ??? why ???
Maddie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, ukya, stand-alones
I read this book in one sitting, and that's not just because of the verse form! For a book that has way less words than your average YA, We Come Apart managed to create characters and scenarios with such depth and reality, I was blown away by how much I could empathise, with so few words to go on.
I loved both Jess and Nicu's voices and how, together, they found themselves, learning that judging someone by appearance or from a first impression is counterproductive to building meaningful relations
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts
Young Adult novel
▪︎ Thoughts to follow ▪︎
Gabriela Pop
Jan 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
I feel so bad to give this book such a low rating,but rating it any higher would feel like a fraud since my reading experience was terrible and I did not really enjoy it one bit.
I understand if people do find it likeable and I certainly can appreciated some of the ideas that the authors tried to get across,but overall I was enraged from page 1.
As a Romanian emmigrant myself,I found this rather rare representation of others in this position to be infuriating.Again,I do appreciate some of the thin
Stacey (prettybooks)
One is one of my favourite novels ever (seriously, read it). Like One, We Come Apart is told in free verse but, unlike One, we're introduced to two narrators. Jess's home life is tough and Nicu recently emigrated from Romania. When they're both arrested for theft, Jess and Nicu become unlikely companions. And Jess's friends – who throw racist remarks and abuse at Nicu – won't let them forget it.

We Come Apart is very current. It's not about bullying or racism or abuse – it's about Jess and Nicu –
Coreen ❇
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
“We come together. Now, we come apart”

This is a very powerful read, despite the fact that it looks awfully short, each verse is loaded with such impactful words and thoughts that just makes up for the page shortage.
I’m not saying that all the things that our main characters have done in this story are good but I think they are certainly justifiable. (yeah, different people, different opinions, fellas) except for the stealing of course.

I don’t have much word about this book, but all I
Romie
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
I honestly tried to read this — I got through more than 30% — but I some point I had to say stop.

This could have been a great story, but I couldn't deal with the broken English. Coming from a family of immigrants, I know you never immigrate to a country and suddenly master the language, but this broken English hurt my soul. You have broken and broken. There is a broken English that doesn't sound fake, and it wasn't this one.

Also I didn't really like the verse aspect of this book, it wasn't mind
Rebecca
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, poetry
Okay but in all seriousness, where are was the resolution? Y'all forgot to actually end the book.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloomsbury
3.5 Stars.
Jessica is a character who has endured torment and abuse, her stepfather a domineering and violent man. Although I've also experienced domestic violence as a child, I couldn't relate to Jessica and her often merciless attitude. Having committed her third offense and Nicu caught thieving, the two teens are both sentenced to the Reparation Program, an initiative to rehabilitate adolescents rather than facing prison.

Nicu's narrative was captivating. Having migrated with his parents to the
✧Hessa✧
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
[ 3.5 stars ]

‘But I want to stay here.’ I praying to them.
‘People hate us here. Nicu, people here only see our skin, not the thing within,’

This was a quick read but I have to admit it wasn’t what I was expecting ..we follow two character : Nicu who is a immigrant from Romania to earn enough money to pay the family of a bride in Romania and marry Nicu off and Jess who lives with her mum and abusive step dad . their lives come together when Nicu join Jess in some kind of community service.

The cha
Emily Mead
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, poetry
I'm kind of mixed about this one. On the one hand it was a wonderful story of friendship and exclusion and outsiders. But on the other hand, I was only really a fan of Nicu (Jess rubbed me the wrong way) and the ending felt incredibly rushed.

Longer review to come soon.
Jazzy
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
WHAT JUST HAPPENED
that happened so fast, and that format???!?? so dope.
but seriously that was so short, like literally a graphic novel -pictures... imagine that... it’s crazy fast and boom boom boom action.
BUT THAT ENDING THO. IM NOT CRYING BUT MY HEART IS COMPLETELY SPLATTERED.
Kristina
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a relevant story considering everything that’s happening in the world right now. I really liked how realistic it was without any sugar coating.

If you enjoy diverse stories, then give it a go.
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review*
"We never get lost
And
When I wake
I fear that our love will never be
Found."
This was my first book by Sarah and Brain I was quickly blown away by them. I'll admit, I was intimidated by this book as soon as I found out that it was written in verse. I've never read a book like this and honestly, it was way out of my comfort zone. I always feel like I won't understand what the authors are trying to tell me but I'm glad this wasn't the case h
Lara
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the first novel I’ve read that is written in verse and I really enjoyed it! It was a short heartbreaking read that I’m sure will leave me thinking about it for a while.
A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received an ARC from Bloomsbury India, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own Quotes are subject to my ARC.

“We Never Get Lost
And
When I Wake
I fear that our love will never be
Found.”

I read We Come Apart in one sitting.

In fact, I think it’s the quickest I’ve ever read a full-fledged novel. Despite the fact that it was told in verse (like the quote above), We Come Apart was SUCH a different, thought provoking a
Alessandra Crivelli
Full review is coming really soon

We come apart is written in verses like One and it is such a fast reading. It might help you to get out of your reading slump. MIGHT.

I don't think I was able to complete enjoy this book because of my bad mood and reading slump but I felt a connection with Nicu as a romanian immigrant during Brexit time. I just wanted to hug him -- I am not an immigrant (yet -- but I would love to move in the UK in a few years) and I can already feel the hate towards EU worker imm
nabilahwashere
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Laiba
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sooo :)
I stayed up till around 2am trying to finish this book and I actually really LOVED it! The characters were a bit believable and it was just AMAZING. Just not happy with the fact that it took away my sleep but it was fine overall.
Shayne Bauer
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is told in verse in alternating chapters from the two main characters' perspectives. Very appealing as well as a very quick read.

The two characters manage their individual family struggles and come together through their one common characteristic of being thieves. They meet while doing community service yet continue their unlikely friendship afterwards. In today's world of intolerance, it teaches a valuable lesson of looking past surface differences and helping each other.
Suad Shamma
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2018
No. This didn't do it for me.

I'm very glad that this wasn't my first Sarah Crossan book, because I'm not sure I would've picked up another one.

Like many others, I do appreciate the messages that the authors attempted to convey, but I did not think the execution was done well. The storyline felt...silly, with so many little nuances missing. When you are writing a novel in verse, there are certain aspects that need to be taken into consideration, there are more gaps to be filled with the use of m
Emma
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
3/5 stars

I rarely use the 3-star rating. Not because no book is deserving of it, but it’s such an awkward, middle ground rating. I didn’t love it...but I also didn’t hate it? In the case if We Come Apart, though, it’s the only rating that fits. Rating it 4 or even 3.5 stars would be much to generous, while 2 would be too harsh because there were parts that I enjoyed. This is the epitome of a solid three star book. I don’t usually consider threes to be boring and average, mainly, they’re just on
Bee
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first experience of reading a book in verse, and it was really fun, the actually book itself was not fun. I'm calling it a modern tragedy because I had no hope for either of the characters' futures beyond the final page. This story was heart-breaking - not always explicitly, sometimes it was just in the assuming what the consequences were - but I couldn't put it down.

We Come Apart follows a Romanian boy, Nicu, who is a refugee that has to start going to school where he is bullied to
Andrea Tomé
Mar 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bridget
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, favorites
The individual voices in this story, Niku and Jess, are distinct and different to anything I've read. I loved them. I swallowed this book in a big gulp in one sleepless night. Jess has a horrific homelife, she is fighting to stay in her home but the bully her mother is living with is terrorising her and her mum. She is forced to watch her mum get beaten. Niku is Romanian and has come to England with his family, he cannot speak English and is treated badly by his classmates but along with these s ...more
Sprinkled Pages
this was a short book so i managed to read it in a single sitting

i did enjoy but i found the use of verse to be unnecessary as it didn't add anything

however i loved the characters, even if the plot was quite dull. also, the ending ;'(

for more, read my review: https://sprinkledpages.blogspot.com.a...

• The Weight of a Thousand Feathers
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Rosie Loves Jack
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The M Word
  • Love, Secret Santa
  • The Truth About Lies
  • Here I Stand
  • Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • Me Mam. Me Dad. Me.
  • Yes No Maybe So
Sarah Crossan is Irish. She graduated with a degree in Philosophy and Literature before training as an English and Drama teacher at Cambridge University and worked to promote creative writing in schools before leaving teaching to write full time.

She completed her Masters in Creative Writing at the University of Warwick in 2003 and in 2010 received an Edward Albee Fellowship for writing.

She curren