Start by marking “Curio (Curio #1)” as Want to Read:
Curio (Curio #1)

Curio (Curio #1)

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  574 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
Grey Haward has always detested the Chemists, the magicians-come-scientists who rule her small western town. But she has always followed the rules, taking the potion the Chemists ration out that helps the town’s people survive. A potion that Grey suspects she—like her grandfather and father—may not actually need.

By working at her grandfather’s repair shop, sorting the smal
Published January 5th 2016 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Curio, please sign up.
The NYC Talon Yes. It was my first venture into steampunk and I thought it was a very enjoyable read. At first it was hard to stick to it and there are some parts…moreYes. It was my first venture into steampunk and I thought it was a very enjoyable read. At first it was hard to stick to it and there are some parts that drag a little, but the MC is great - I love her story - and the world building is very well thought out and creative. Plus, the love interest is actually interesting, haha! I left the book desperate for the second installment(less)
Kate from the looks of it, yes, currently there is a prequel to this but Goodreads has marked it as book one, so i assume there will be more!

Sasha Alsberg
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Curio was an interesting, intricate book to say the least. It was hard to get into and at times because of the POVs and different settings but was worth the read because it was definitely something new.
My video review will be up this weekend!
3/5 stars
Ben Alderson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
So... I READ THIS IN ONE SITTING..

Such a unique novel. I don't think I have read anything like it. It has the main theme of a girl coming into a heritage and then sparking a rebellion.
It is very steampunk with hints of The Emerald City from Wizard and Oz.. Really enjoyed this read!

PLUS THE COVER IS AMAZING
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was pretty freaking awesome! I felt like I was in a strange Doctor Who episode in a sense, but not as good as Doctor Who =)

There are evil, evil Chemists, Porcie's (porcelain people), clockwork people (although, they don't look like the Doctor Who ones, just people like), Defenders, Warriors, stone people ← for reasons and other stuff.

All of the people in the town have to take a potion that gets rationed out daily for the people to stay alive. There is a whole thing about that you can
Donita
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful introduction to a new genre. At least, new to me. Steampunk had no meaning in my vocabulary. It was explained as something like the old “Wild, Wild West” television program where weapons and doodads were anachronistic. That didn’t help much.
After reading Curio, I get it!
That’s a nice bonus to the pleasure of reading a great story populated by believable and intriguing characters. This author is not afraid to allow her hero and heroine to suffer, make mistakes, and endure the c
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Netgalley and Zonderkidz for giving me this book to review.

Gray Haward detests the Chemists, the rulers of her small western town, but she has always taken their potion which helps people survive. When her best friend, Whit, is punished by the chemists for protecting her, Gray decides to take risks, but when the chemists find out she retreats to the safe haven of her grandfather’s shop. However, there she discovers an even greater secret, a world full of porcelain and clockwork people.
Riley Redgate
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: releases-2016
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book will appeal to anyone who's interested in the mechanics of worldbuilding. The setting of Curio is jam-packed with inventive touches and twists—the steampunk world pops off the pages, with its clockwork second-class, porcelain elites, and shunned hybrids. That alone would have been enough to impress, but the fact that this clockwork world is actually framed by another world that's equally unique blew me away.

Because of this
Beth
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grey has lived under the oppression of the Chemist her entire life. When she is attacked by werewolf type creatures, her best friend, Whit, comes to her rescue sending Whit into a night of hellish punishment and Grey drawing the attention of the Chemist.

The Chemist attack Grey’s family sending Grey running to her grandfather’s shop and accidently sucked into an alternate universe through the Curio. The new world is inhabited by clockwork people and Grey soon discovers she’s ran herself right int
Glory
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Самое крутое в книге - обложка.
Она обещала мне чудо, сказку, стимпанк, алхимию, магию, романтику и еще кучу всяких приятностей, но оказалась подлой динамщицей.

Нет, история, наверное, неплохая, но при всей моей любви к странным книгам я не прониклась. Ни героиней, ни миром, ни сюжетом. Хотя нет, задумка стоящая, некоторые моменты весьма увлекательные, но, имхо, автор заигралась в загадочность и необычность и в попытке уйти от штампов скатилась в другую крайность, когда уже середина романа, а чи
Daphne White
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved Curio and I demand a sequel immediately. Oh, wait. I'm getting ahead of myself. Curio won't officially be published until early January and the only reason I have had the pleasure of devouring the book is that Blink sent me an ARC.
Thanks Blink!

Things I adored about Curio:
1 - All the gadgets! I want them please and thank you. Then I can be a tock.
2 - Not your average steampunk, at least not that I've seen. Porcelain & Clockwork => Amazing. Who knew?
3 - Kickbutt and not-so-kickbutt
Kali Wallace
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
HOLY WORLD-BUILDING BATMAN. I really enjoyed a lot of things about CURIO, but the one aspect that kept blowing my mind over and over again is the world-building of not one but TWO completely weird and unique worlds, both so bizarre I am jealous of Evangeline Denmark's imagination.

There's the weird west steampunk Colorado mining town controlled by sinister magical overseers, and then there's the world-within-a-world of clockwork people and sentient porcelain dolls (nightmare fuel, thanks), and w
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
{{AGE WARNING on this review & book. There are lots of touches & detailed kisses in this book and listed in this review. This review should not be read by girls under 14.}}

About this book:

“Grey Haward has always detested the Chemists, the magicians-come-scientists who rule her small western town. But she has always followed the rules, taking the potion the Chemists ration out that helps the town’s people survive. A potion that Grey suspects she—like her grandfather and father—may not act
Jaina Rose
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I'm a long-time fan of the author Donita K. Paul. Her DragonKeeper Chronicles are amazing - literally the best Christian fantasy I have ever read - and I've gobbled up tons of her books over the years. When I got a newsletter telling me that her daughter Evangeline had a book coming out, and that it was steampunk dystopian, I was excited. Then I saw the gorgeous cover and I was completely hooked.

It was available on BookLook Bloggers, a rev
Cheryl
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was first drawn to this book by the lovely book cover, than by the fact that the author is a Colorado author, and lastly by the summary of this book. I do like reading steampunk books but they can be hit and miss for me. This book is what steampunk is about and how to do it right. I instantly was transported into the world that Grey resided in. I could picture everything and it all had a touch of steampunk elements to everything.

While I am talking about this book I have to also mention the wh
Rosalyn Eves
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
CURIO is a complicated and fascinated steampunk debut by Evangeline Denmark. Grey Haward lives in a harsh, punishing world in Mercury City, in a Colorado I'm grateful never existed. Some of the mystery behind the city and its founders is eventually explained, but it's clear at the outset that Grey has a narrowly circumscribed life. After unsuccessfully resisting those in authority, Grey is forced to flee for safety--and finds herself inside the world of a curio cabinet: a world populated by cloc ...more
Mary
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I love most about Curio is that Evangeline creates two distinct story worlds, both which are intriguing and enticing. When I finished the book, I was so engrossed in the story, I was sad it was over. Can I have the next book now please?
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
***I received the ebook from the publisher through BookLook Bloggers in exchange for an honest review***

As someone new to the steampunk and Christian genre, this book threw me straight in the deep end. It begins in Mercury City (the world of the Chemists and Defenders) where repression and violence is a daily occurrence, and then everything is turned on its head when Grey falls into her Grandfather’s old cabinet which transports her to Curio (the world of the Porcies and Tocks).

For me it read li
rachel • typed truths
Thank God, it's over. Woah. This book was one of the worst books I've read in a long time. Definitely, won't be reading anything else by this author or continuing with the series - if there are future books.
Jen
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
My thanks to NetGalley and Zonderkidz-Books Blink for an eARC copy of this book to read and review.

This book was not for me. The cover, gorgeous. The interior, not so much.

I had started reading this book, was confused as all get out, realized there was a prequel novella and figured that would make everything make sense. Again, not so much.

From what I could gather, this is a steam-punk, alternate America, with Alchemists/Chemists and various types of constructed people. The world wasn't built in
Heather A
I received a copy from Netgalley.

Steampunk novels are touch and go with me. It's not my favourite genre, really, but every now and then I see a steampunk novel I like the look of and figure I'll give it a chance. Which is exactly what I thought when I saw Curio pop up on Netgalley.

I made it 108 pages, but this is another not for me book. I don't think it's a terrible book at all, its very creative, descriptive and quite original in its storyline and ideas. The main character is likeable enough.
Swati
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
3.5/5 stars

I loved the steampunk aspect of the book, and the porcie storyline was really good!
It was a fast paced and unique book, I enjoyed reading it :)
I was a bit bored with Whit's pov, this might be because I was more interested in Grey story...
The characters were likeable and the whole world was really interesting, I just felt that it dragged in some places...
Rissi
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, 2016
In Curio, Grey Haward lives in a world where Chemists oversee her every choice. Dependent upon a daily potion, which the leaders allow residents once a day, Grey’s family is special. Her grandfather and father possess the ability to survive without the potion, which leads her to question her own dependency. Even still, Grey tries to remain overlooked as the family protects their secret. Every night, a strict curfew is adhered to until one night when Grey’s best friend, Whit, takes the blame for ...more
Rebekah Gyger
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
This review saddens me to write because I thought I would love this book. The author's mother (Donita K. Paul) was one of my favorites and I had expected to enjoy this just as much. Unfortunately, Denmark's story was nothing like I expected, even knowing (and liking) that it was steampunk.

The issues for me began when the conflict between the Chemists and Grey's home town were thrust to the background in favor of the conflict brewing inside the curio cabinet. Denmark had set up a huge conflict wh
Grace Mullins
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was... interesting? Different? Perhaps both. And I don't mean this in a bad way, but in the way one might feel after watching something odd, yet they find they kind of like, or at least are fascinated by it. I don't believe I've read anything like this before, but maybe that's because I've not read much in the steampunk genre. But there were things I liked such as, one, the world in the curio cabinet with the people made of porcelain and the people who run on gadgets like a clock. So ...more
Claire Banschbach
Really cool concept and intriguing world-building all around. Honestly was super confused the whole time on plot and motives and basically everything in general. Also got annoyed with how the MC gave herself whiplash checking out the new mysterious hot guy after going on about how much she's crushing/in love with homeboy from her world.
Maybe it was just me, but I had a lot of trouble sorting everything out. LOVED the worldbuilding though. Some epic steampunk stuff going on. Characters were all
Rachel
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is so much to love about Evangeline Denmark’s CURIO. It’s imaginative. And exciting. And completely captivating. The characters are interesting, likable, unusual, appealing. The worlds are incredible - both the world of the Chemists and Defenders and the world of Porcies and Tocks. The lore is intriguing.

Its pages are filled with magic and alchemy, battles of good versus evil, and moments of unimaginable bravery, selflessness, sacrifice. There are a number of wonderfully unique inventions
Ellen E. Baldwin (Quest Reviews)
Oct 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Those who follow my reviews know that I have a weird relationship with steampunk. I never seem to like books featuring mechanical fantasy, and yet, I keep trying, striving, to find gems in this troublesome genre. Over and over again, I start a steampunk book and wind up with a DNF — Did Not Finish. I had some high hopes for Curio — pretty cover, ooooh — but I should have known better. This book might be the one to make me give up on steampunk forever.

Curio has a very complex — okay, complicated
Dawn
Grey Haward's family is different. Both her father and her grandfather do not need the life giving potion that the Chemists who rule their town give out in order to survive. She suspects that she is like them. But she's always followed the rules. When her best friend Whit is caught by the Chemists one night while trying to protect her, Grey sees the results of his punishment and suddenly taking risks doesn't matter. When she discovers that the Chemists know her family's secret, Grey panics and r ...more
Alyssa
About the Book

By working at her grandfather’s repair shop, sorting the small gears and dusting the curio cabinet inside, Grey has tried to stay unnoticed—or as unnoticed as a tall, stron
Jessica
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to just love this book from the minute I opened the box it was shipped in. I really hate writing a review that is not positive. I want say negative because there were some good times.

Hidden lands accessed through a keyhole in a curio cabinet, porcelain figures that are really alive, and a strong girl with the opportunity and means to save the world from a controlling power that isn't ideal in any way. What's not to like?

The way the story is written is confusing at times. It seem
All About Fantasy!: Curio 1 7 Feb 03, 2016 04:13AM
Perustopia Book Club: Discussion About Curio! 9 143 Feb 01, 2016 12:33AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 May 30, 2015 11:24AM
  • Book of Dreams
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Revolutionary Magic (The Dashkova Memoirs #1)
  • Blood from a Stone
  • Timepiece (Keeping Time Trilogy #1)
  • Memoirs of the Bathtub Psychic - The True Story of a Clairvoyant and Her Dogs
  • Invisible Prison (Alex Noziak #0.5)
  • One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers, #1)
  • To Kiss a Frog
  • Hand of Miriam (Bayla and the Golem, #1)
  • Witch Weigh
  • Secrets of a Spiritual Guru: Real Estate, Yoga & Lies
  • Tainted (Soul Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hunter's Companion (Familiars, #1)
  • Zera and the Green Man
  • The Witch's Vampire (Mystery Springs #1)
  • Blood, Smoke and Mirrors (Bad Witch #1)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Tomb (Secrets of the Dragon Tomb, #1)
Evangeline writes fiction with hints of whimsy, glimmers of fantasy, and strokes of the supernatural. Her debut novel CURIO was an RT Reviews Top Pick for February 2016, and USA Today’s HEA blog called the world-building “two levels of genius.” A Young Adult Steampunk Fantasy with shades of The Wild, Wild West and The Wizard of Oz, CURIO sets coming of age and first love against a backdrop of stea ...more
More about Evangeline Denmark

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Being brave for bravery’s sake isn’t much better than being beautiful for beauty’s sake.” 5 likes
“Love is magic in our veins. Love the hand of the punisher stays. Love heals what justice flays. Love defends and mercy reigns.” 4 likes