Start by marking “Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)” as Want to Read:
Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)

Sweetest Scoundrel

(Maiden Lane #9)

SHE'S TAKING CHARGE

Prim, proper, and thrifty, Eve Dinwoody is all business when it comes to protecting her brother's investment. But when she agrees to control the purse strings of London's premier pleasure garden, Harte's Folly, she finds herself butting heads with an infuriating scoundrel who can't be controlled.

HE'S RUNNING THE SHOW

Bawdy and bold, Asa Makepeace doesn't
Kindle Edition
Published November 24th 2015 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sweetest Scoundrel, please sign up.
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅] This book is available on kindle (Amazon) US, UK, AU, CA, IN etc. It really comes down to where you live and if kindle books are accessible from your…moreThis book is available on kindle (Amazon) US, UK, AU, CA, IN etc. It really comes down to where you live and if kindle books are accessible from your country or not. Some books may not be available due to regional restrictions set by the publishers. Sometimes you maybe able to buy the paperback but not the ebook/kindle editions, again depending on geo-restrictions. As far as I know, Amazon can't help you if the publisher has restricted the book to your country, unfortunately. You have to wait until it becomes available in your country.(less)

Start your review of Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
Baba
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historicals
3.5 to 4 stars. Review posted December 1, 2015.

photo oie_vcSp14kbjZHF_zpsgwjma19i.png
 photo oie_Fv8soOHhqW5P 1_zpsqix1xom2.gif
 photo oie_XtNydzNlDGMm_zpsvq4bnfa6.gif

Family issues…
 photo oie_U2kj4IcV8kwn_zpstd6glloe.gif

September 1741
London, England

Eve Dinwoody, the sister of the Duke of Montgomery, is a tall and thin woman, with a large and long nose and according to Asa Makepeace, she's plain as a shovel and a harpy who tried to steal Harte's Folly, his pleasure garden and theater, by cutting off his credit and funds. No more money meant that the rebuilding of the theater that had been destroyed in a fire would be impeded. His dream…gone. But Asa is
Stacey is Sassy
Asa was an ass in the beginning

I started Sweetest Scoundrel looking forward to reading a historical romance where the hero isn’t an aristocratic Lordy Lord who thinks everyone should bow down to him. Well, Asa’s not an aristocrat, but he does think his employees should bloody do as he says and if they’re bowing, good. Asa Makepeace owns Harte’s Folly, a pleasure garden. To be honest I wasn’t sure what a pleasure garden was. Me and my dirty mind, thought it was going to be some kind of kinky
Jilly
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I bought the romance in this one. The guy keeps mentioning how unattractive the girl is. Like, a lot. And, he isn't hard-up for female companionship. He also keeps mentioning how much of a shrew she is. Are guys really this intrigued by ugly girls with bad personalities? I'm not convinced.

I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder.

But, I liked the girl, Eve, a lot. She is suffering from PTSD and has a bodyguard who is like the best guy ever. If I were her, I would have fell for
Alp
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.25/5

Not exactly what I expected, but still a decent read nonetheless.

Almost the whole first half of the book bored me stiff. Honestly, the thought of putting it down flashed several times through my mind while reading this half. However, I really enjoyed Asa’s character, and somehow, I felt like I wasn’t ready to give up on his story yet. So I decided to keep reading a few more pages to see if things got better in the second half. Luckily, it did! It really made up for all the dull parts that
Mo
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Asa, or shall we call him Ass! Bit of a fucking prick throughout most of the book. But, hey, I love those assholes.

"You swear too much, you know."

He fucking did. I fucking loved it.

Before her he'd never touched himself in front of a woman - in front of anyone. it was a solitary activity, after all, one done out of boredom or desperation or because he didn't have a woman to serve his needs at that moment.

"Her breath caught on the thought. Was he saying that a woman would put her
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

"Lily of the valley." He made her feel exotic, still dressed in her sensible gray frock, only her hair loose about her shoulders.
"Lily of the valley," he murmured. "I'll remember that scent forever now, and whenever I smell it again I'll think of you, Eve Dinwody. You'll be haunting my tomorrows forevermore."
She gasped and turned, looking up at him. She'd thought that he'd be smiling teasingly at his words, but he looked quite serious and she stared at him in wonder. Had he always
Choko
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Romantics!

Another lovely, although at times sad romance. It was sad because Eve, the young female bastard of a Duke and a sister to a Duke, is a very damaged young lady... A very traumatic episode in her childhood has left her with phobias of male's touch and dogs, making her somewhat of a hermit, spending her time painting and doing her brother's business accounting. Asa is the youngest brother in a very religious family, whose patriarch had disowned him
Robin (Bridge Four)
Well I liked this one more than I thought I would. I have not been excited for Asa’s book because thus far he has seemed like a huge jerk in his parts in the other books of the series. But then we met Eve in Dearest Rogue and I was intrigued by her.

Eve is the kind of character I like. She is a bit broken. Not in a silly way either. No she had a true trauma happen to her when she was younger and now suffers from a type of PTSD. She also has a really hard time trusting people and being touched.
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Asa Makepeace's passion is life is the theater and garden he owns called Harte's Folly. He loves it so much, he goes by Mr. Harte to most of his acquaintances. After it burned down a year ago, he found an investor in the Duke of Montgomery, and has started rebuilding. Having to rebuild the entire theater and redesign the gardens again, it takes a lot of money and he has been leaning heavily on the duke's capital to get the job finished. Asa loves this theater, but his large family has no idea he ...more
Mei
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I'm happy to say that this series is climbing out the hole where it was going because the Ghost disappeared and the characters are more interesting then the last books!

We have a really good couple here!

Eve - straitlaced, not beautiful (finally!!!), prickly, suffereng from PTSD silently.

I loved her! She was so well described and so true that I was sorry for her and cheering her on at the same time!
The way she wanted very much to overcome her fears was so great!

Asa - basic, loyal, foul-mouthed
♥Sharon♥
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it

This will be short and sweet.

I'm am truly enjoying this series. I love Elizabeth Hoyt's writing and may I say she can write some very sensual scenes.

I wasn't sure about these two. Asa, as Mo so perfectly put it in her review, was a bit of a prick for most of the book and Eve was a bit of a plain Jane. But they both grew on me and I ended up liking them quite a bit.

The ending was rather sweet too. I'm looking forward to #10.

Shawna
Solid/Strong 4 stars – Historical Romance

Another great addition to Ms. Hoyt’s fabulous Maiden Lane series. The H/h were wonderful together, and I especially loved the heroine’s footman/bodyguard/friend, Jean-Marie. I’m really looking forward to Val’s book, Duke of Sin.
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*

RELEASE DAY REVIEW

This is the ninth book in the excellent Maiden Lane series and each time I marvel at Elizabeth Hoyt’s ability to make every book such an outstanding read.

At the age of nineteen, Asa was disowned and disinherited by his sanctimonious father for wanting to work at Harte’s Folly. Luckily he found a home with the kindly Sir Stanley Harte who was more like a father than his own father ever was. Even after his father’s death, he no longer feels he fits in with the rest of the family
Jen
Another great read in The Maiden Lane series! This was book #9!
Review to Come...
Sam (AMNReader)
The Makepeaces are better as central characters than secondary.

I used to find Asa aggravating, but in this? Not so much. I loved his patience, although he wasn't. I loved his dirty yet sweet mouth, and I loved his passion for his job.

When I read The Governess Affair, I realized that hair pins can be ridiculously hot. They worked here too.

Though this book wasn't dealing with light subjects, with Eve (smart-as-a-whip Eve) having suffered trauma-I did like how light it seemed. Asa and Eve gave
Jessica
Mar 14, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Ahm, okey . . . am I the only one who can't wait to see Montgomery's book???

Anyone???

Caz
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars.

Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series of books set in Georgian London has been consistently entertaining, well-written and researched and has produced a number of memorable characters and sensual love stories which have proved incredibly popular. Amazingly, now nine books in, the series shows no sign of running out of steam, as this latest offering, Sweetest Scoundrel is another enjoyable tale, this time taking a most unlikely couple as its
Bubu
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hr, 5-stars
Warning: possible spoilers!

So, here it is, long awaited, high expectations, etc and Elizabeth Hoyt didn't disappoint!

Not me, anyway. She is a master storyteller! There are already some lovely reviews and there's probably not really much to add. Only a few thoughts that I had along the way whilst reading the book.

1. The atmosphere and setting
One of the things that amaze me every time I read one of her books, is how EH creates the world her characters live in. The gowns, the carriages, the
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
3.5 Stars
Loved Asa but I could not connect with Eve for some reason.
I still love this series though.
_______________________
One of my favorite series ever!
Hoping this one is a goodie!
♥ℳelody
*Review Up!*

I have mixed feelings about this one.

First of all, I love Asa. Love him. I loved him from the start. With his short temper, acerbic tongue, how frivolous, blunt, messy, brash, irreverent and honest he is. He is perfect example of what Elizabeth Hoyt truly excels at. Each of her characters are so distinct, dimensional and fully fleshed out. They each have their own unique flaws, quirks and issues they need to deal with and sort out. She’s one of the few HR who does it so consistently
Gilgamesha
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am I imagining or was there another couple whose story needs to be told. The one where the guy complemented the girl "Your beauty dazzles and leaves me blind" and girl replies "how inconvenient I hope you get your sight back soon" lol I am paraphrasing but those lines stayed with me. Why is she introducing all these new characters???
Alyssa

Book Nine of the Maiden Lane series
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: November 24, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

SHE'S TAKING CHARGE

Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
The beginning of this book was slow and didn't draw me in as quickly as Hoyt's books usually do. I suppose it makes sense it was slow in terms of Eve's character and her history. This is a story of opposites attract.

Plot: Eve is her half brother, the Duke of Montgomery's accountant and overseeing his investment in Harte's Folly, a theatre/pleasure garden place. Asa Makepeace is Mr. Harte, the owner/manager of Harte's Folly. Asa isn't very fond of answering to anyone or keeping books.
Mary - Buried Under Romance
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a crude and interesting hero...:)
Caz
I've given this a B for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals.

In Sweetest Scoundrel, the ninth book in her long-running Maiden Lane series of set in Georgian London, Elizabeth Hoyt once again features a member of the Makepeace family. In it, big, brawny and bawdy Asa, who has hovered in the background in a number of the earlier books, finally gets his own story.

Known to London’s entertainment world as Mr Harte, Asa Makepeace is the owner of Harte’s Folly, the popular pleasure garden which
Cristina
I think a better Epilogue would've been nice. However, it was nice read nonetheless.
Keri
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to win a copy of this gem from the Goodreads folks!!! Then when I got the book yesterday I was jumping up and down and my son looked at me and rolled his eyes and said Mom I am so glad I have no friends here to see this. I just laughed and promptly ripped my happy package open and proceeded to read this awesome read. Before he left the room I heard him mutter, sure am glad I can feed myself because I guess she won't be cooking tonight. He was right!!! This was a wonderful read ...more
Vintage
Geez Louise, E. Hoyt can write an earthy hero and love/sex scene.

That's pretty much all there is for me to say in this volume of the continuing adventures of the extended acquaintances of the people of Maiden Lane.

Eve is the hero of the deliciously awful H in Duke of Sin. Eve is that H's half-sister and is more than deserving of a HEA for some pretty sick reasons beyond her control. This H is rude, crude and as mentioned before earthy lover. Raise some eyebrows! However, once he gets over the
Julie
Here is a portion of my review for Sweetest Scoundrel by Elizabeth Hoyt- a 2015 Grand Central Publication.

This review is the copyrighted property of Night Owl Reviews. Click the link at the bottom of this page to read the review in full.

The pacing was just a bit uneven and at times the story seemed to drag on without a lot going on to hold my interest. But, as I approached the last quarter of the book, things picked up and all the pieces fell into place with a heart pounding precision. Mercy!
Ashley
NB: I received my copy of this book free in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway, but that has not affected the content of my review.

NBII: This review is six months late, and I did not like the book.

NBIII: I will probably never win another Goodreads giveaway.

I originally rated this three stars after finishing it because there was a cute dog in it and I allowed myself to be emotionally manipulated by its presence, but the further I get from it, the more I’m just like, no, I didn’t like this. It didn
Elizabeth Hoyt Fans: Sweetest Scoundrel (Book 9) 7 15 May 18, 2016 12:08PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Jun 14, 2015 02:04PM

• The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue  (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #2)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Rules for a Proper Governess (MacKenzies & McBrides, #7)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • Falling Into Bed with a Duke (The Hellions of Havisham, #1)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • The Duke (Victorian Rebels, #4)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • The Last Wicked Scoundrel (Scoundrels of St. James, #5)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • A Duke's Temptation (Boscastle #10; The Bridal Pleasures #1)
  • This Duchess of Mine (Desperate Duchesses, #5)
  • The Art of Sinning (Sinful Suitors, #1)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
“I'll use any means necessary -- any f*cking violence I want --in order to keep you safe. Do you understand me, Eve? This isn't bloody negotiable. I will f*cking kill if it means it'll keep you safe.” 4 likes
“Her breath caught on the thought. Was he saying that a woman would put her hands—her mouth—there?
Her bodice felt suddenly too tight as her breaths became faster. She didn’t know where to look: at those long fingers massaging his own leg or his glinting, knowing green eyes.
“And of course,” he continued, “a woman can pleasure herself—with her hand—and a man…” His hand drifted up, straight to the top of his widely spread legs. He gripped himself frankly—lewdly—and looked at her.
She lost all sense of propriety. All sense of place and time and who he was and who she was.
She stared back into those sensuous green eyes and whispered, “Show me.”
2 likes