Start by marking “Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)” as Want to Read:
Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)

Temple of the Winds

(Sword of Truth #4)

Book Four of The Sword of Truth returns listeners to the world of Richard Cypher, a simple woods guide who never dreamed he would be named the Seeker of Truth and become caught up in magic, war, and dangers so extraordinary that the fate of his entire world would hang on his actions and decisions.

The dangerous, fanatical Imperial Order, under the leadership of the
Audio CD, Unabridged, 822 pages
Published February 25th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published October 1998)

Start your review of Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, #4)
Lauren
Aug 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A while ago, I was surfing for books on my Kindle, and decided I wanted a Fantasy novel. Remembering a series that my friends were going batshit for when I was living in Florida, I downloaded Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Now, since I have what I could consider mild OCD when it comes to finishing series, I have plowed through the books and am on the 4th? book, Temple of the Winds. That leaves me with 7 to go in the series.

Im in it for the long haul people. So here are my thoughts.

While
Ashley
Definitely the worst of these books yet. I almost one-starred it, but the main thing that was making me angry was semi-addressed by the end, so I dont think this series has quite reached the point of untenable badness just yet. (And I want to save the one star, because Im pretty sure there is much worse to come.)

So, seriously, this book was very, very bad.

Its pretty rare that I say a book is bad. Most books have redeeming qualities, or maybe just arent my thing. Actually, there are a lot of
Amber
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Terry Goodkind is a superb author, and in my opinion, his "Sword of Truth" series is the best I have ever read. So good, in fact, that I have read the entire series three times in a row, back to back, non-stop. This series is *not* for children. The series covers many aspects of the dark side of humanity, in great detail, as the heroes try to overcome the evils in the world. Goodkind is not afraid to show his readers just what evil *really* is, that is, most often, people who perform acts of ...more
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My 2019 reread of the Sword of Truth series has been a big success so far. I've blasted through the first four books in the series in just over two weeks and have been sucked right back into Goodkind's SoT world! It might have its flaws but I'm finding the SoT series to be an engaging and fun epic fantasy with a classic 1990s feel to it. We get a mix of action, adventure, romance, triumph, and tragedy that makes the story a compelling read. It also helps that I find Goodkind's, admittedly weird, ...more
J.G. Keely
It is always curious to see fantasy authors who don't consider themselves to be fantasy authors. Case-in-point: Terry Goodkind. The former landscape painter has told us how he isn't a fantasy author in every interview he's ever given:

"The books I write are first of all novels, not fantasy, and that is deliberate; I'm really writing books about human beings."(1)

"To define me as a fantasy writer is to misunderstand the context of my books by misidentifying their fundamentals."(2)

"The stories I'm
Eric Allen
An Opinionated Look At:

Terry Goodkind's Temple of the Winds

By Eric Allen

Thinking back on the series, I never really remember much about this book. It wasn't one of the ones that I read multiple times because of how good it was. When I was choosing a book from this series to read, I'd always pick others. I remember liking it back in the day, but at the same time, I don't remember liking it as much as the first three books, or some of those that came later in the series, like Faith of the Fallen,
Feb 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pure-fantasy
This is the one that made me stop reading the series. In fact, I set the book down without even finishing it. Goodkind just keeps rehashing the same old stuff over and over and it's not fresh any more. He's also downright fixated on sex and I just felt too disgusted to continue. I don't have a problem with reading about sex (I read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey, for crying out loud!) - it's not the sex, it's the intent that creeped me out. I haven't picked up another Goodkind book since ...more
Substance
Mar 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish-it
currently reading this, and compared to book 3, this one is rubbish.

i do not like kahlan how she keeps crying
richards character is quite boring and two faced, he is trying to be mr perfect...his acceptance as the ruler was just to sudden, i felt there was no good flow between woods guide and ruler.

the story line is concentrated in that damn confessors castle
there is to much about fighting some plague and not enough action trying to find a solution.
very slow story line, and every time the romance
Prongs
May 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
That's my exit. That was incredibly bad.

I loved the first book and was disappointed when I read the second one.
When I read the third one I thought the second book was not so bad after all.
After I finished this one, I promised myself I had wasted enough time on this author.
This series is like so many TV shows : strong beginning, you really want to like the rest of it, but you keep getting disappointed...

The plot was terribly predictable, Goodkind characters grow backwards from other characters:
Stephen
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Big drop off from the first three books but still a decent, if underwhelming, novel. The scope of the threat posed by the Imperial Order continues to increase.
Benjamin
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Once again, a story line that would be inconsequentual if the main characters would only talk to one another instead of rushing of headlong into danger (to cause more problems). I stopped reading the series after this book.
Steve
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was both a struggle and hard to put down. I found it hard to get into for the first few pages after picking it up back up, but then some tendril of the story would grab me, and I would keep reading. The action seemed to stop and start during the book, and it was quite difficult to figure out where certain characters loyalties lie. The climax was protracted and rather delicious, and while the resolution was a little shorter than I would have liked, it will do.
Jenna
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feels, read-2016
The first time I read this book was in 2011 after I had plowed through the first three books in the series and I LOVED IT. The plot was so riveting, and obviously I adore the characters, I just could not get over how amazing it was.

This time, I reread it after having stopped reading the next book because of reasons. I wanted to reread this so I could just jump into book 5 with the love I remembered from book 4. Naturally I was nervous that I wouldn't enjoy it as much or I wouldn't devour it like
Kara Babcock
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kara by: Stephanie Chow
The only part of this book that truly aggravated me was the end. Once again (and I can say this without spoiling it, because I won't reveal any details), Richard manages to avoid the consequences of the tragedy introduced during the rising action. Maybe I'm just sick. Maybe it's wrong of me to want characters to suffer. But this guy's luck is incredible.

The redeeming aspect of the end is that there are sort of consequences (the chimes), but they won't make an appearance until the next book. I
Ricardo Portillo
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
My OCD is forcing me to wade through this series. I've resorted to Audiobooks now, the equivalent of putting a Dunce cap on this pile of crap. It's not that Goodkind is a terrible writer, I venture to say he is competent enough and even has his moments now and then. But the distastefulness of the author himself permeates his writing and it's making this a huge ordeal for me. If I hadn't read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series I would have perhaps not even noticed that he was unequivocally ...more
Jostalady
Um, Terry, I think it is time we went our separate ways. You have your good qualities as a writer, but I spent this entire book cringing, keeping down my food, wanting to fight and murder your vile characters, even wanting to kill you for putting me through this. I suffered the horrible psychological pain as Kahlen, Richard, Warren, those children, their mothers, as Berdine, as Cara...you are one sick man.

I went through all the torment of the dis-chord, and kept going hoping that at any moment
Justin
Jul 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ok, I give up this series is terrible. I don't know why i was punishing myself getting this far into the series, I guess it was because I was too lazy to try to find another fantasy series to read (which I have been in the mood for)
I only got about 40 pages into this one, and found myself skipping over half the words. His writing style seemed to have degraded to the level of a fifth grade essay; first this happened, then that happened because this other thing happened...Jesus, it was like having
Nick
Jul 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the nail in the coffin for my interest in reading this series. While the first offering was an alright read, the events that occured in the following books got more ludicrous. Add in a cheesy romance story that's so over-the-top and this rubbish became almost unbearable to finish. I don't know how so many people can recommend this series. I feel that it is utter garbage. If I could give less than one star (read: zero) I would.
Katherine
What a 5 star gut retching mind fuck.

description

Thank you Terry. I hope you don't mind I have decided to call you by your first name since you will most likely never see this and well when someone affects me and my emotional health this much I just don't see why we should be sticking to formalities.

There were no battles in the traditional sense in this book and compared to the previous 3 it was the most different so far. It kept a completely different pace and was more focused on the aftermath and
Danny
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This book is so bad I couldn't finish reading it. The only reason I made it all the way through on my second attempt is because a friend told me the series gets better, and that the middle few books are rough. Goodkind needed to get laid because he takes out his sexual frustration with his characters.
Blake
Jan 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, folks, this book is very hard to read. But there is redemption...

Any part with Zedd is pretty good. But he's a pretty decent character, so that is to be expected.

Kahlan cries some more. No surprise here.

Lots of people start dying. And there is a bit of sex. Oh la la.

Trudge through it. The other books are better.
Eric
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this installment get even dumber, I know, you are asking yourself "how is that possible?" But they do. I cannot believe that there are these great stories that could be told in this rich and varied world, that just aren't happening.

Also, why is Terry so obsessed with violent sexual acts? Everything in this world hinges around sex and rape as a stand-in for sex.

The only character with half-a-brain is Zedd, and i suspect that is only because we only see Zedd for like seven
Randy
Oct 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Temple of the Winds is a place you wish you were, because that way, you'd be far, far away, in a fantasy world, and not reading this worthless abortion.

Note to Goodkind haters: Before you call Terry a misogynistic piece of shit for turning Kahlan into a hypocritical whore, read Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. Female authors treat their female characters no better. Besides, there are a million better reasons to call Terry Goodkind a misogynistic piece of shit.
Emma
Aug 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone I really, really hated.
If you like terrible writing, redundant plotlines, inane characters, lots of rape and violence then Terry Goodkind is your man. Otherwise, try Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin or Matthew Stover.
Tracey
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!
I can't remember ever reading a book as dark/twisted/perverse as this. So THOROUGHLY MESSED UP. And I love it.

I cannot believe the shit Goodkind puts his characters through.
Not even TV!Kahlan/Richard will be the same to me after this.
Andrés
I was disappointed, I think that's a fair assessment of "Temple of the Winds." Let's start with the plot summary.

There is now a state of war between the Imperial Order and the D'Haran Empire. While Richard tries to score points with his troops, Emperor Jagang's already on the move to vanquish his enemies once and for all. How? Easy, he's sent an ex-Sister of the Dark to steal a very powerful and deadly magic from the fabled Temple of the Winds. Soon a plague ravages the land, threatening to
Diothaen
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: srp-2009-books
I started reading this series of books by Terry Goodkind at the recommendation of a friend. As some of you may know, I am not an avid reader, so the thought of me completing a series of 11 books each well over 500 pages is a daunting task for me. That being said, I have finished the 4th book in this series, Temple of the Winds.

Once again we follow the adventures of Richard and Kahlan, as they fight the forces of the Keeper. This book follows the pattern that has been established in previous
Ms. Nikki
Temple of the Winds was a little harder for me to get through as I decided to check out the audiobook. There was so much talk in this one I wasn't as excited to pick back up where I paused at.

Yes, the story-line was interesting, but getting from point A to point B was not altogether painless.

Nadine, a troubled little twit from Richard's home, arrives to stir up a cauldron of trouble.

Richard's reactions to Nadine's condemnation of Kahlan scared me a little. He was ready to kill folk over his
Scotty
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
For some reason the author just dragged out many of the areas of this book that just didn't need it. It was driving me crazy. If you have read this far into the series then you know how Richard and Kahlan feel for each other. For it to be expounded upon over and over during certain areas of this book was just too much. But, even in the Sword of Truth books as a whole, Terry Goodkind does a great job of having exciting conclusions to, and this book was no exception. The subplots also really ...more
Meagan
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, fantasy
This is the fourth book in the Sword of Truth series, and it had the double whammy challenge of being the fourth very long book in a very long series, and of being the book I was reading just before my comprehensive exams for grad school. These challenges made me move through this book a little more slowly than the previous three, and the beginning was a bit more slow moving than I would have liked, so it took me a bit longer to read than I expected. Nevertheless, The last 200 pages or so ...more

• A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #3)
  • Crossroads and the Himalayan Crystals
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • Terry Goodkind
  • Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, #12)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13)
  • Order of Valxiron: A Sword & Sorcery Epic Fantasy (Chronicles of Pelenor Book 3)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
Terry Goodkind is a contemporary American writer and author of the best-selling epic fantasy series, The Sword of Truth, creator of the television show The Legend of the Seeker, and writer of the self-published epic, The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (a prequel and origin story of the first Mother Confessor). He has over 20 million copies in print and has been translated into more ...more

Sword of Truth (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2)
  • Blood of the Fold (Sword of Truth, #3)
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5)
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)