Start by marking “Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)” as Want to Read:
Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)

Sight Unseen

(Star Trek: Titan #9)

An original spin-off novel set in the popular Star Trek: The Next Generation universe from New York Times bestselling author James Swallow!

In the wake of political upheaval across the United Federation of Planets, Admiral William Riker and the crew of the U.S.S. Titan find themselves in uncertain waters as roles aboard the ship change to reflect a new mandate and a new mis
Published September 29th 2015 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Sight Unseen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sight Unseen

Alejandro
Truly great Star Trek novel!

NEW MISSION, OLD ENEMIES

Admiral William T. Riker has been an “admiral without portfolio” for some months, and now that the events of “The Fall” are behind, finally Starfleet is defining a concrete agenda for him. Riker is now Sector Commander of the Alpha Quadrant Frontier, which is certainly a big promotion giving him a lot of power.

Due his new position of sector commander and since Riker never has been confortable in a static desk, instead of other sector comman
reherrma
Es hat lange gedauert, bis wieder ein Roman aus der Reihe "Titan" erschien, obwohl die TITAN immer wieder Auftritte in den Star Trek-Schlüssel-Serien wie "Typhon Pact" und "The Fall" hatte. William Riker wurde im Rahmen der Handlung in der Staffel "The Fall" zum Admiral befördert, ohne jedoch sein Kommando an der Titan abzugeben. In diesem Roman bekommt er neue Befehle: Er muss das Kommando abgeben an seinen bisherigen XO Christine Vale wird Captain und sie bekommt durch Commander Sarai einen um ...more
Dan
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, star-trek, titan
A real page-turner that features everything that I love about Star Trek novels. There are a lot of stories out there in the wider Trek universe, but it is books like these that keep me buying Trek lit. I realize this has become a familiar refrain of late, but in my opinion this is the best of the Star Trek novels released so far this year. They just keep getting better!

If you are at all a fan of Titan or are a new fan looking for a good place to pick up the story, Sight Unseen should not be miss
Jimyanni
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This was an excellent follow-up to a Next generation episode, and played very well off of what new Admiral Will Riker's reflex response to discovering that the individuals that the Titan was dealing with were the same species that had kidnapped and tortured him and several other Enterprise crewmembers many years before, while newly-minted "Captain" Vale insists on living up to Starfleet ideals and refusing to pre-emptively attack. It made for an interesting if not too surprising dynamic, the cha ...more
Bruce
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I finally got around to reading this book this past week and loved it! Nice pace and character interactions! Vale getting accommodated to the captain's chair and the tough calls that come with it has really expanded her character. And how cool that she stood up to Riker, who also is adjusting to the rank of Admiral. I hope James Swallow gives us a new Titan tale that picks up from where things left off with Sarai.
Daniel Kukwa
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Solid & exciting storytelling, that sends the crew of the USS Titan off into space with a new mission and a new sense of purpose. It's a great jumping on point for newcomers to Admiral Riker's world. It's also a thrilling adventure in its own right, but with the right amount of "Star Trek" optimism permeating the story. Very satisfying.
Aron
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent! Schisms was one of my favorite episodes of TNG, so I was glad to see that episode's mystery finally revealed. I always wondered who they were & what exactly it was they were doing & i think James Swallow did a fine job of showing us that. Highly recommend.
Christopher
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stefanie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was an action packed story with amazing character moments. Loved the fact that it was a continuation of an old TNG episode and dived deeper into the reasons for things that took place then and now. I really liked the two new additions to the crew and am intruiged by Commander Sarai, but godsdamn it (view spoiler)
Two things that made the reading of this a bit fru
Bookreader1972
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars. Another really good Titan book.
Have really enjoyed the Titan Series & hope more get written, As of right now (5/8/18) there is only one more book in the series. There is some sort of negotiation going on between Pocket Books, which publishes the Star Trek books, & the owners of the Star Trek world.
I say, figure it out & Publish more books, & split the millions of dollars. Stop holding the fans hostage.
John Yelverton
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a decent "Star Trek: Titan" novel, but with Riker's and Vale's promotions, neither one of them know how to handle their new situations, and neither does the reader as characters you know and love are placed in situations both in and out of their character. Throw in several new characters to boot, and all of this hampers what could have been a truly great story.
Ron Turner
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The good news is Riker, Troi and their motley crew of aliens are back. The bad news is the plot's rather weak with a half-hearted return of the villains from the TNG alien abduction episode "Schisms." They're made out to be a dire threat but basically come off as a pale imitation of Species 8472.
Jason Werden
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
perfect Star Trek story
Tony Pope
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If it's a Star Trek book...pretty much I will like it. Kudos to all those who keep the series alive in the books.
Susan Rubinstein
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice followup to a Next Generation episode. Hard to put down.
Jamie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly I found this book a wee bit stale. Not sure if I've just had enough of the Titan series for now or whether the book itself was the problem
Paul Lunger
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Swallow's "Sight Unseen" is something a little different even by the Titan novel standards - a sequel of sorts to the TNG episode "Schisms" albeit in not as disturbing a fashion as that episode was. The story involves the Titan finally getting out of Spacedock & heading out onto a different type of mission than they originally intended as more of a patrolling job through a sector of space that Admiral Riker has been assigned to command. He then subsequently promotes Vale to Captain of ...more
Maurice Jr.
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again loose ends from the Star Trek Next Generation TV show are tied, and once again I loved it!

This bit of closure comes from an episode that never got good reviews (I always liked it). Crewmen (including Commander Riker, Lieutenant Worf, Lieutenant Commander Geordi LaForge and Ensign Sariel Rager) experienced sleep disruption and loss of a sense of time. It turned out that an unknown alien species found a way to open a portal from their reality and take people and objects into theirs.

Th
Laurie Kazmierczak
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable spin off with major characters Riker and Troy. Titan is a ship full of a variety of species living together and solving the numerous problems thrown at them. This particular adventure features creatures from a previous Next Gen that are insidious and creative in their attack style...the crew was put to the test in this one. I recommend it.
Michael
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Good story that Needs more zip

This Titan story is interesting and entertaining in spots and it was so great to see Riker in action as a first officer of sorts, even for a little time.

The main plot of a threat from Enterprise's history coming back to torment Riker was a good one. There is a good bad guy group and a death defying trip to another universe. It could have used some more personal interest story. It could have used a main villain.

The characters are so rich in places and kind of mixed
Tom
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable Star Trek book that references a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode but also takes full advantage of the unique characters of the USS Titan. This makes me wish that the new Star Trek series being developed was Star Trek Titan.

Not only does this novel stem from a TNG episode, it also lives in the universe created by the Star Trek novels post-Deep Space Nine. This is a different Federation than that originally conceived by Gene Rodenberry, but the universe is slowing re
Mrklingon
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Another Trek on the Titan

I've not read all of the Captain (now Admiral) Riker books on the USS Titan, but I've read a number, and intersected with them in the arc of stories with Bashir's going rogue, so I wasn't out of my depth in following this story. With all the eons of Star Trek - TV, film, novels - it's mind boggling to keep track of everything and everyone in the Trek Universe. Fortunately, Swallow and his Trek-scribe colleagues do that - no doubt with assistance - so if the story moves,
Eric
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-titan
Following the events around Bacco's assassination, it's time for Titan to return to its mission...but a modified version.

Revisiting an incident during the days of the Enterprise-D, Titan is forced to investigate a missing starship of Academy cadets. Titan is adjusting to its new command structure and trying to get back on course.

Intriguing restart... Looking forward to seeing where this series goes
norcalgal
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Good novel. Tight pace and plotting, and the characters from ST:TNG & Voyager seem true to themselves.

I would have liked more moments of self-reflection and character insight/internal thoughts (such as when Tuvok reflected on family v. duty) but I guess that's not the norm in sci-fi.

Still, I was satisfied with the book at novel's end and wouldn't mind reading more from this author, especially set in a world I like and with which I am familiar (e.g., the Star Trek world).
Jeff
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A return for Riker and a few other members of the TITAN crew who served aboard ENTERPRISE to the pocket dimension Solinae, and a splinter group of that race that want noting to do any longer with abducting and experimenting on beings from the dimension in which the Federation exists.

A good read, well written and well researched on the authors part, linking some of the new adventures of the former First Officer of the Enterprise to his current mission, on the TITAN.
Kent Pettus
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and fast paced. Everything except for the seeming error regarding frequency in keV. killo electron volts would be a measure of energy and not frequency. Minor detailed. Liked the the book though. Give us more of the Next Generation work.
J
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Titan Fans
The book did an excellent job of expanding a species seen only briefly in 1 episode of The Next Generation. An OK entry, but nothing fantastic.
Yahuhanan (יהוחנן) Yukia (雪亮)
An excellent novel and story. A new ground for an even more exciting Star Trek multiverse.
Peter Wilson
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fiction
very good book, i was pleased with the way it progressed and at the end of the book wow, star trek titan, why is this not on tv
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • A Ceremony of Losses (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • The Light Fantastic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Missing
  • All That's Left (Star Trek: Seekers, #4)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • A Pocket Full of Lies
James Swallow is a New York Times, Sunday Times and Amazon bestselling author and scriptwriter, a BAFTA nominee, a former journalist and the award-winning writer of over fifty books, along with scripts for video games, radio and television.

His writing includes the Marc Dane action thriller series, the Sundowners steampunk Westerns and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 40000, Doctor

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War