Start by marking “Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves” as Want to Read:
Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves

Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves

The ultimate guide to thinking like a stylist, with 1,000 design ideas for creating the most beautiful, personal, and livable rooms
It’s easy to find your own style confidence once you know this secret: While decorating can take months and tons of money, styling often takes just minutes. Even a few little tweaks can transform the way your room feels.
     At the heart of St
Published October 13th 2015 by Potter Style

To ask other readers questions about Styled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Styled

Start your review of Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves
Allison
This was kind of all over the place. "Styling" is generally something you do for photos, not for actually everyday living in your home, but the book seemed to want it both ways. But you CAN'T just like, leave a group of lemons (with leaves still on the stems!) sitting on your counters 100% of the time. They'll go bad, you guys, and if they're being used as decoration they're not being used in your drink. And how you style things for photos to put on Instagram is not the same as how you make your ...more
Minna
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't want to rate a book poorly just because I don't find it aesthetically pleasing, but that's where I am with Styled. And ultimately, I didn't think it was better than just ok (hence the 2 stars).

I get what Henderson is going for, and I had high hopes when I looked over the pages of style examples in the beginning. Unfortunately, I didn't see many of those various styles represented more than once or twice total in the resultant book. The majority of the styles that were shown, I just didn'
Ida Sani
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were many tips and tricks in the book that I found interesting and useful. However, there also were many rules only created to make a room ready for photoshoots which were not practical in real life and didn’t make any sense to me and made it hard to determine who audience was.
j e w e l s
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
a really fun decor book to peruse through!
Katherine
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been eagerly awaiting this book since I discovered and became obsessed with the blog a month ago. It's more technical-feeling than the blog, in that the blog is full of whimsy and personality and such, while the book basically deconstructs the reasons for placing items a room where they are so that photos of it would look good in a magazine. There's enough practical information on how to approach decorating your own place that I'm satisfied, though I suppose ultimately what I really wanted ...more
Audrey
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Lots of eye candy here. Basic designing info -- I thought it would be a better look at how to create vignettes, since it is about styling, but there's a whole lot of "identifying your style" and other kinds of stuff going on too. Nothing that stands out from most of the other design books on the market. Great if you are an Emily Henderson fan, but most of what's pictured caters to a pretty specific design style.
Kayla Rakita
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I went into this kind of skeptical, but I actually really enjoyed it. She gives lots of little tips about how to arrange the furniture and decorations you already have in your home so that it looks cohesive and interesting. I especially liked the idea of creating vignettes all over your house to showcase your favorite things and weird interests. There are also tons of pretty pictures of inspiring rooms.
Rachel B
Feb 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I loved "Secrets from a Stylist" when it was on, and have enjoyed reading Emily's blog off and on, so I was really excited when I saw she had written a book. That excitement made the book's disappointment that much more disappointing.

It's always frustrating when design "experts" say that there are no rules or that rules were made to be broken, and then proceed to give you a list of *their* rules. Sad to say, Henderson falls into this trap, as well.

The "style diagnostic" was fun; who doesn't love
Karen
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid 3.5 stars. This is the single most helpful book I’ve found about how to actually arrange stuff in your house, and it encourages using things you have rather than buying all new trendy decor. But it also seems focused on styling for pictures rather than places people actually live. The author’s blog has been more helpful for ideas in real spaces rather than photos.
Erik Fazekas
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I did like it in the end. I think the text and the photographsbwere well put togegher and she was able to explain all the parts of the design through visuals! That’s a biiig plus!
Heather
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was excellent, I loved the tips and tricks if styling. There was a lot of good information about different styles and many beautiful examples.
Frances
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have wanted to read this for SO long, and I still found myself skimming. I read her blog on the daily, and this is exactly the same.

That said, I feel like I could read this like 15 times, and still find new good takeaways.
Rachel
Oct 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
If I felt the need to leave a pair of trendy shoes artfully tossed in the corner so my guests could get an idea of my personality, I'd reevaluate my friendships. And my life.

Henderson needs to work on editing. Each vignette had just a few too many items, and each room had too many vignettes. The result was a cluttered and messy looking space.
Am Y
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Some good tips about balance, colour, and grouping, when styling vignettes. (A vignette in interior design terms is a small pleasant-looking arrangement of objects clustered together.)

However, I still did find some items too small for the furniture they were placed on. And some of the colour palettes and wallpaper prints were just downright ugly. Which means the author wasn't following her own advice; or, just goes to show that balance, colour, etc is 100% a matter of personal taste and opinion.
Catherine  Mustread
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book jumped out at me from a new book display at the library – probably the books displayed on the cover and the subtitle including the word "Bookshelves" caught my eye. I was surprised to find it mildly interesting since I have zero interest in style – my type usually being comfortable and cheap. There is a survey included at the beginning to find one's personal "style." My type turns out to be "Zen" which is one step above minimalist. Lots of other pictures of bookshelves and books as dec ...more
Sharon Terry
I was excited about this book at first: wow - I'm going to find out what my "style" really is and how to achieve the Look! But I'm afraid I was disappointed. I answered her quiz questions and came out "minimalist" (wrong!). I searched through the book - it's beautifully illustrated and presented - but I couldn't find rooms that illustrated how "minimalist" or anything else for that matter, could be realised. That said, however, just prowling through the pictures will probably give you some usefu ...more
B.D.
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fails
Stephanie
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Trying to design rooms is really hard for me. I found this book useful because it helped me get a firmer grasp on the styles that I like, how I can combine them, and what that would really look like around my house. Most books have inspiration and specific items but don't help me figure out how to select items from what's available at a store, or how to improve a room when I can't invest in new things at the moment.
Maria
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: design, homemaking
I was hoping for a book that would help me decide where to put the ottoman, but this is a book about how to arrange art and cluttery objects so that they look nice.

There are a lot of comments about impressing people with your objects and arrangements. This makes sense if you are staging your house for sale, but not if you are having friends over for dinner. I'm sure those comments were meant as jokes, but I still hope the author can make better friends someday.
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I didn't get much out of this book. I guess it's just a style preference, but almost every room in these pages looked absurdly cluttered to me. Even beyond the aesthetics of it, how does one function in a kitchen whose counters are filled up with lamps and vases and framed artwork leaning casually against the backsplash?
Kelsey
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I loved the way this book breaks down styling and arranging your home into something that is approachable, and not mystical. Also helps you identify your style and find ways to incorporate it into your home. Tons of pictures so this isn't one to read on an e-reader. Highly recommend!
Nikki
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Ariadna73
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hands-on-books

"It is all about creating attractive vignettes"

This is a beautiful book that would make a great coffee-table decoration. It has useful advice on how to organize your home in a way that looks chic, elegant and unique. It helps you find your own style by using some survey-like tools and showing you loads of photos that you can try in your mind to see if they ring any bells. Here are some of the photos in the book. There are many more, and all of them are beautiful vignettes. The author says that
Becks
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book with tons of photos. It's nicely structured, with a section on different styles and one on basic styling principles, followed by a large section with photo examples of different kinds of rooms.

However, there is a big focus on styling rooms specifically for photos/instagram as opposed to for everyday living, which I didn't realise from the description of the book. This means there are some really impractical "tips" such as leaving bags and shoes lying around or having cen
Kelly
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-reads
I really liked the concept of this book and I took my leisurely time to read it. I loved the style quiz and examples of different styles (although I didn’t seem to perfectly slot into one). One of the style groups mentioned is ‘contemporary’, and I felt like most of the interiors shown on future pages were in this style, mixed in with the occasional ‘mid century’, ‘rustic’ and ‘scandinavian’ feature. I would have enjoyed seeing more examples of the other (less popular) styles like ‘seventies’, ‘ ...more
Kristen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a beautiful book - I read it sitting next to a pool on vacation, and it was perfect for that. When a particularly lovely room was shown, I could show it off to the person next to me.

However, this book tries to live in an area between real life and staged photograph. Emily writes as if you are decorating for real life, but what it really comes down to is how to style for a photo (hence the book name, Styled.) So navigating between what is realistic for every day and what is best for an in
Courtney Tait
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I consider L.A.-based home stylist/blogger Emily Henderson to be my home-style guru. I read her design blog daily, and it has influenced not only the way I choose pieces for my home, but in how I approach ‘styling’ everything from throw pillows to tabletops to bookshelves. I pre-ordered her book the second it launched this fall, and savored every gorgeous photo, style tip, and inspirational vignette. She’s a genius at mixing new and vintage pieces, and her funny, conversational voice draws you i ...more
Amy
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this one. This is one of those decorating books where you have to read everything -- there was a TON of tips. Like, did you know a coffee table should be 2/3's the length of your couch? I had no idea. This book was so good that I took notes. There's a quiz, too, to help you focus your style tendencies. I'm bohemian! And then she takes it a step further to point out your opposite (mine is minimalism) and stresses that you have to successfully marry the two opposites for a cohesive room. ...more
Susan
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I have long been a fan of EH’s style, and decided to try her book. I appreciate that she clearly describes and outlines the difference between decorating/designing and styling. For certain purposes, it makes total sense. For example, photographing your home for social media or for sale. Also, some of the vignettes and tips are applicable or appropriate all the time. However, I agree with some other reviewers who point out that several of the styling suggestions seem geared solely to a photo shoo ...more
Erin
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I've been following Emily Henderson's blog for a while now, and I enjoy her writing style here. I think there are some good ideas to incorporate here - styling in vignettes, for example, and the way she talks about balance in styling a coffee table or bookshelf has some ideas that will be useful for guidance. I agree with some of the other reviewers, though. The biggest negative is that this book has a good number of styling tips for photos and not for every day living, which is.... not as helpf ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
  • The Complete Book of Home Organization