Start by marking “The Beast of Barcroft” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Barcroft

The Beast of Barcroft

Fans of Stephen King and Bentley Little will devour The Beast of Barcroft, Bill Schweigart’s brilliant new vision of dark suburban horror. Ben thought he had the neighbor from hell. He didn’t know how right he was. . . .

Ben McKelvie believes he’s moving up in the world when he and his fiancée buy a house in the cushy Washington, D.C., suburb of Barcroft. Instead, he’s m
Published November 17th 2015 by Hydra

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Barcroft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Barcroft

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Ben and his fiance buy a bigger house..they just don't realize they are moving next door to this.
Chicago commercial photographers

Ben has a few other issues because his fiance has decided to dump him and he is left with his dog and a rat problem from his neighbor's animal hoarding.
Chicago commercial photographers
(I hate rats so that's about the scariest I'm going on that one)

Then that same neighbor passes away in her home. Shortly after that some weird stuff starts going on in the neighborhood.
The animal problem is getting worse since the hoarder lady is
Lyn
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and relentless page turner.

One of the best compliments that can be given a book is that “I couldn’t put it down” and I almost literally could not, blazing through this tight, fast paced novel in a couple days.

Protagonist Ben McKelvie has moved to Arlington Virginia, in an older suburban neighborhood and has unfortunately put down roots next to the local crackpot, a woman who’s conservationist ideals and love for animals has been sidetracked by mental illness and substance abuse.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

Wow! I ended up enjoying this book a lot. I was in the mood for something a little different with a bit of blood and freaky stuff and this book filled that need perfectly. This story kept me guessing and I found it really hard to put down once all the weird stuff started happening. I ended up reading most of it in a single night.

This is the story of the Bancroft neighborhood. The neighborhood has that one house that is causing everyone troubl
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
In this book, we met for the first time Ben Mckelvie who together with his fiance moved to the Barcroft, a suburb in Washington, D.C. However, what they didn't know that they would be neighbors with crazy raccoon-loving Madeleine Roux. Everything just gets worse with Ben's fiance leaving him and his poor dog gets killed. But, it even gets worse than that when the predator that killed his dog seems to start to kill his neighbors one by one...

I read Northwoods and absolutely loved the book so I ha
Emma
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining and original take on the shapeshifter story. This was fast-paced and very humorous. It's a quick quality read. Consider it Recommended!
Frank Errington
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review copy

I must admit, I never heard of Bill Schweigart until I came across this book in Netgalley, but I found the title, description, and cover to be enough to pique my curiosity. I am so glad I took a chance. The Beast of Barcroft was a genuinely pleasant surprise.

Great writing and interesting storytelling. The author is quite skilled in character construction and creating believable situations out of beyond believable events.

There are a number of twists as the facts slowly come to light an
Ken McKinley
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
What IS the Beast of Barcroft? That is a very good question. And as you continue reading the story, the answer my surprise you. Ben's fiance dumped him for being an angry nutcase and that he lived next door to a house that is so rat infested, it should've been condemened long ago. All of the surrounding neighbors file complaints left and right, but to no avail. The crazy lady that lives there always seems to skate by with a slap on the wrist. When the lady dies, the dilapitated house is tied up ...more
Autumn Is Azathoth
REVIEW: THE BEAST OF BARCROFT by Bill Schweigart

A compelling supernatural-themed horror novel starring a pair of unlikely heroes. Ben lives alone, supporting a mortgage after his fiancee' s departure and struggling through depression and newly, panic attacks. Lindsay is a curator at Washington D. C.'s National Zoo, with a shallow itinerant girlfriend. Ben's drug-addicted neighbor's misbehavior has infested the quiet, formerly peaceful, neighborhood with raccoons, pigeons, and rats. But the worst
Mommacat
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

It twisted. It turned. It reached out and grabbed. Literally. THE BEAST OF BARCROFT was the Matterhorn of stories. What's a guy supposed to do when he moves into a new house and doesn't check out the neighborhood first? Hint to prospective homebuyers: always look over the neighbors! Well, for Ben McKelvie, it meant nothing but problems.

Bill Schweigart expertly wove a tale that kept me guessing right up to the end. What is terrorizing this quiet Virginia town? Why did it kill Ben's greyh
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
Finally finished this. LOL.

So this story is about a man named Ben. One night, he watches his poor dog get killed by a mountain lion and decides to find out WTF is happening (well, he starts by trying to inform ppl of said lion but he's ignored.) As he "investigates", things turn a bit more supernatural in nature.

You know how good a book is when you forget the MCs name like 5 minutes after finishing the book. True story. Just finished it a couple minutes ago and realized I'd already forgotten his
Sofia Lazaridou
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Rats, rats, rats and rats. That's all I can think about in when I try to come up with something to say in this review. I can remember a lady eaten alive by rats. In the end, I was surprised the beast wasn't a rat. I get that this book belongs in the horror genre, but the rats are gross and a little weird. I swear that if the book wasn't mostly from Ben's point of view I those tiny creatures would have been the thing that has appeared the most in this book.

The book has many elements from varius l
Laura Thomas
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right from the beginning I felt almost like I was watching a movie. Cue the music as an ominous scene unfolds and the mystery of the The Beast Of Barcroft began. I was hooked.

Ben is a sympathetic character. He thinks he’s finally moving up in the world. That his hard work has paid off. That’s until he discovers that his posh new digs are planted right alongside a rundown house riddled with rats and stray cats. His life begins to fall apart. And it changes forever when he sees the creature that k
Rob Twinem
Feb 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
"One twisted, gnarled body, thousands of tiny heads protruding. The mass crested over her swaying like a cobra for a moment, hundreds of black eyes looking down on her, before it crashed over her in a wave and thousands of razor-sharp teeth found purchase at once." When I read this about a quarter of the way into The Beast of Barcroft I thought whoa!! James Herbert eat your heart out!! this is like a modern retelling of The Rats, 70's horror at its best.....but unfortunately that was as good as ...more
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-adult
Ben didn't know that he would lose everything when he moved him and his fiancée to Barcoft in Arlington. What he thought was going to be a dream home ended up having him living alone beside a nasty house. The house next to him was lived in by a woman who seemed to take in all animals, from rats to raccoons and it was an eye shore.

Ben has been having a hard time since his father died and he thought the move would help but he still hadn't snapped out of it and eventually his fiancée left him. The
Lena
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Monster Tale Fans
Shelves: horror, netgalley

Ben McKelvie has lost his father, his wife, and now a mountain lion with glowing orange eyes has eaten his dog. The only thing worse would be if no one believed him but his neighbors are so angry about their pest problems they are happy to add mountain lion to their list of complaints.

Lindsay Clark is a hard working zoologist and curator of the great cats at the Smithsonian Institution's National Zoo. Her girlfriend Faith, who treats Lindsay like a doormat, is the daughter of a County Board mem
Amanda
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes in life you need to read a book that is both pleasure and entertainment. The Beast of Barcroft provides it in bucketloads.

The story opens with our feckless anti-hero Ben, girlfriend left him, neighbour from hell and then just as the universe tends to do, it kicks him even more when his dog is killed by a mountain lion. And it's all the neighbours fault. Trouble is, she's now dead and it's only getting worse.

This book has a great mix of characters, and a fast paced plot. If you enjoy cr
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
OMG this was so good, so glade I wanted to pick this up and give it a try, there was some things I didn't understand but I'm hoping that since this was an uncorrected copy that it'll be fix when it comes out to buy, with that said I also want to say that I loved how it pulled me in the story and kept me wanting to read it, loved how it also used Native American myths and legends as part of the story.
Janet Robel
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary good! This horror novel will keep you intrigued and reading through the night. Well-written with solid characters that make you want to yell at them when you think they are about to do something stupid. I thought it was just the right amount of terror. Fans who love to be scared in their reading material will want to sink their teeth into this one.
Lynn Williams
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this
Review to follow
Miriam
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, audio, dnf, horror
28% dnf. I give up. The is book is fatally BORING!!!!
Paul
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’ll be honest; this novel caught me completely unaware. I was looking for something to fill a gap in my reviewing schedule, and was fortunate enough to pick up an e-copy via Net Galley. I had absolutely no idea what to expect going in and I’m happy to report that I was more than a little surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Turns out, The Beast of Barcroft is a pretty good example of the horror genre and is bloody entertaining to boot.

Ben McKelvie is a bit of a mess as a human being. His
Marvin
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
I think the monster is making a comeback. There seems to be a lot of literary creature features this year. Perhaps the vampire has finally ran out of blood and the zombies went on a brain-free diet. It is time Cryptozoology had a chance to lord over the horror novels for a time. Mythological creatures, Bigfoot, Sea creatures ...they all need a day in the sun.

The Beast of Barcroft is a novel about one of those creatures. Which one cannot not be said for the author Bill Schweigart takes a long tim
Hectaizani
Before you move into a new neighborhood you should really check out the neighbors first. That's a lesson that Ben McKelvie learns to his own chagrin. His neighbor Madeline is crazy, and not a good crazy, she is singlehandedly turning her property into a toxic waste dump. First she leaves food out for pigeons, and when rats come to eat the pigeon food, she feeds them too. Poor Ben, this is not what he expected when he moved into Barcroft.

But things get worse, first his dog gets eaten by a mounta
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
The title and the blurb both interested me. The comparison to King made me hesitate. Its been stated before that I'm not a huge King fan. This is still true. So, I looked it up on Goodreads, and when I saw the page count, decided I'd give it a shot. I'm happy to report that the comparison to King - thankfully - is only in regards to the twisted story with an interesting ending. Schweigart does not fumble the ball and go off into tons of extraneous detail or unneeded character exposition like Kin ...more
Chris
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a advanced copy through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review:

It is a must read for any Stephen King fan. While reading this book I was wondering if the author is a King fan of his earlier works because this is what the book reminded me of. It is a story about a beast (not sure what it is) that is terrorizing a small community which started when a troublesome neighbor dies. Strange things started to happen with no explanation. When Ben was out one night with his dog Bucky a sha
Dornel Cerro
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
"Ben’s fiancée leaves him...,his dog dies, apparently killed by a predator. But the worst is yet to come ... for he’s not dealing with any ordinary wild animal. This killer is something much, much worse. Something that couldn’t possibly exist—in this world.

Now, as a devilish creature stalks the locals, Ben resolves to take action. With some grudging assistance from a curator at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and the crackpot theories of a self-styled cryptozoologist, he discovers the sinister tr
Deborah
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own
Thank goodness I know my neighbors well; otherwise, The Beast of Barcroft might well have left me cowering behind locked doors and drawn blinds. This terrific, fast-paced horror story was hard to put down, so I was delighted to discover that it may be the launch of a new series featuring not only traumatized suburbanite Ben McKelvie, but also National Zoo great cat curator Lindsay Clark, Native American indigenous studies expert Alex Standingcloud, and eccentric (is there any other kind?) crypto ...more
Deborah
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a good read! For lovers of something a little different... Not just a thriller/horror... Ben's life looks promising, things are going well. Then all of a sudden it takes a turn for the worse, he moves next door to a crazy animal lover, his fiancée leaves him, his dog is killed... Could things get any worse?! All this pales into significance, the worst is yet to come.
I really want to tell you more, but don't want to give the game away, and there's surprise after horrific surprise! It's simpl
Vi
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-reviews
A neighbor whose house attracts rats to the community! Add anxiety attacks and insomnia; that's what Ben's dealing with! The problems continue to escalate from there! Strange sounds, odors...people disappearing, strange murders! Can he believe his own eyes as to who's responsible? The people in the neighborhood are fed up and terrified! They demand answers and results! Ben teams up with Lindsay (works with animals) and butts heads with Officer Cushing as they seek to end the terror! Thrilling sc ...more
Jeri
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, e-books
Ben and his fiancee buy a house in a nice neighborhood, but things quickly go downhill. Their neighbor feeds and keeps all sorts of animals attracting pests to the neighborhood. Then Ben's fiancee leaves him. When his dog is attacked and killed before his eyes, he can't believe what he's seen. No one else does either. This predator is stalking and killing his neighbors and him.

I enjoyed this book. Makes you a bit jumpy when you hear a howl at night or something goes bump in the night. I did hav
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Gore and More: August 2016 Group Read - The Beast of Barcroft 13 22 Aug 20, 2016 01:15AM

• The Faceless One
  • The Demon Prince (Ars Numina, #2)
  • Devil's Call
  • Conjesero
  • Sin City Goddess (Secret Goddess, #1)
  • Reservations (A Lola Wicks Mystery)
  • Dark Screams: Volume Five
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • Haven
  • Blackbird
  • Andersonville
  • Ancient Enemy
  • Kind Nepenthe
Bill Schweigart revives a bit of forgotten lore from the shadow of Washington, D.C. for his chilling thriller, THE BEAST OF BARCROFT, which finds a devilish creature stalking the residents of Arlington. Its sequel, NORTHWOODS, follows Ben McKelvie and Lindsay Clark as they travel to the Northwoods of Wisconsin to investigate sightings of a new and terrifying cryptozoological threat. In THE DEVIL'S ...more