Start by marking “Playing with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #2)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #2)

Playing with Fire (Hot in Chicago #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,905 Ratings  ·  348 Reviews
From popular romance author Kate Meader comes the second novel in Hot in Chicago, a brand-new, sizzling series that follows a group of firefighting foster siblings and their blazing hot love interests!

As the only female firefighter at Engine Co. 6, Alexandra Dempsey gets it from all sides: the male coworkers who think she can’t do the job, the wives and girlfriends who see
Published September 29th 2015 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Playing with Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing with Fire

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 Stars

I despise you right now, Cooper."
"Coming through loud and clear."
"I may punch you, bite you, crush your nuts between my thighs. It's going to be the best hate sex I'VE ever had. And YOUR survival is not my first concern."

Kate Meader is an author that first hit my radar with her seriously delicious Even the Score. I fell in love with her witty writing and knew she'd be going straight to my auto buy list. When I saw that she has this series set in my hometown of Chicago with foster sibl
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Playing With Fire is book two in the Hot in Chicago series by Kate Meader. This book was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review by NetGalley, Pocket Books and by Kate Meader.

I have previously read the prequel to this series, Rekindle the Flame, and loved it. But still, I was not prepared for the impact of this book. This book is amazing. I loved every single page of it. Now I am going to have to go back and read the two books between the prequel and this one.

office of the mayor, city of Chicago:

Eli Cooper is Ma
S.M. West
4.5 SIZZLING STARS

This was my first Kate Meader read and I'm looking forward to more from her. I had so much fun with this!! While this is the second book in a series, it can be read as a standalone.

I'm a big fan of the love-hate thing and this one had all that craziness and more in spades. Alexandra Dempsey is firefighter and Eli Cooper is the mayor, the typical politician and also, technically, Alex's boss.

photo image.jpg1_zpscq4aif9a.jpg

At the outset, like Alex, I wasn't a fan of Eli. He seemed full of ulterior motives an
Elizabeth
description

“Look, baby. Look at how you wreck me.”

Playing with Fire is a smoking hot feel good read! If you are looking for a "quick and delicious" delight than look no further! This was my first Kate Meader read and it certainly will not be my last!

description

Alexandra Dempsey is a hard working fire woman. As the only female firefighter at Engine Co. 6, she has always had to battle her way to the top. She works hard everyday to prove her worth and make it known that she is just as capable as her male counterpoints
Jayme
Firefighter? Check!
Hot Woman Firefighter? Check Check!
Kick-ass Hot Woman Firefighter? Check Check Check!

“Boobs out, smile wide, voice low. Being sexy was exhausting.”

We have so many romance novels that migrate in different areas of life. Most of the schemes probably already know by heart. But this? Why just now I read my first romance associated with firefighter? I do not know, and just thinking about it, I can see the fire... let alone when a woman is the fearless firefighter. Hell Hot!

About
Claire Robinson
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
3 - ”You planning on kissing my cock later with that mouth?” Stars!

I love Kate Meader’s writing style, and I think the main issue I have with this book (hence the rating) and similarly to the first one in the Hot in Chicago series is that due to their length the writing loses a little of the authors usual punch in delivery. Both novellas were absolutely stellar, but I really struggled with keeping my reading focus, especially for the first half of the book.

I loved Eli, him and Alexandra have bee
Kate Meader
Mar 10, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-wrote-this
Named one of Publishers Weekly's Best Books and a Washington Post Best Romance of 2015!

"Meader packs the flawless second Hot in Chicago romance with superb relationship development and profane but note-perfect dialogue.”
Publishers Weekly starred review

"... steamy sex scenes, colorful characters, and riveting dialogue ... a real page-turner."RT Book Reviews Top Pick Gold

PLAYING WITH FIRE is Book 2 in the Hot in Chicago series and features a hard-headed mayor and an awesome female firefighter.
Cyndi
I didn't research this one enough. Halfway in we find out that the hero is f*ck buddies with his ex wife. They have been divorced for 12 years and when they aren't dating others they have sex with each other. Since the hero became the mayor 4 years ago he has only had sex with his ex. This ex is also his campaign manager so they work together pretty much everyday. He was also with her right before he met the heroine. Of course this info makes the h sick, but she accepts him back without really a ...more
Ivy Deluca
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: _arc-reads, firemen
Full review posted at http://afterdarkbooklovers.com/2015/1...

description
I really enjoy Ms. Meader’s writing : I’ve read Ms. Meader’s Hot in the Kitchen series, which was great fun, so I looked forward to checking out this book. I was not disappointed. At first, I was just enjoying myself, but as I got deeper into the story, I couldn’t put it down. When 4am rolled around and I found myself saying "just one more chapter," well, I had to admit that I'd found myself a five star read.

Diversity rules : Both
Lyndy Ann ♫
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since I read Flirting with Fire six months ago I have been dying to read Alex and Eli's story in Playing with Fire and I was not disappointed, this has sexy romance, funny banter and plenty of alphas.

Alexandra Dempsey is a firefighter in Chicago along with all her brothers. Alex is strong willed, hot headed and has a potty mouth she is happy being one of the guys. She is a serial dater looking for her Prince Charming but she always ends up with the frogs.

Eli Cooper is ex Marine and has been the
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kate Meader Fans, Romance
Recommended to Wendy'sThoughts by: Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 Hot, Hotter, Hottest Stars * * * *
This is what happens when two strong characters are fighting the public for respect...and they are on the opposite sides of each other...

What you get is a story with amazing banter, sexually charged confrontations and two people who do hate-sex well, my friend.

We have a female firefighter, Alexandra Dempsey, who has bigger balls than most guys... causing her dating pool to either run and wuss up or try to woo her with the intention of posting on Facebook or T
Dali
A blazing hot and deliciously swoony page-turner romance about a fierce and untamable woman firefighter and the hot, bossy, alpha male who sought to possess her heart.
“I wanted you. Just you. In a selfish, ruinous, soul-destroying way. From the minute I saw you… I’ve wanted you with a ferocity I can’t even fathom.”

Alexandra Dempsey is part of a firefighting legacy, her adoptive father and foster brothers are all part of the Dempsey clan of Engine Co. 6. Even though she wears pink underneat
Michelle
ARC provided by author/publisher in exchange for an honest review

★★★★★ 4.5 Fire Engine Red Stars ★★★★★

Ring the alarm because Kate Meader has once again turned up the heat in her newest scorching sizzling sexy read, Playing With Fire. It's definitely getting hot in Chicago as the only female Dempsey sibling tries to find her one true love that will set ablaze her heart and soul.

#PlayingWithFire

Alexandra Dempsey is the only female firefighter at Engine 6 where she works alongside with her foster brothers. The
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Arc offered in exchange for an honest review

More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
Amanda
5 'sexy firefighter + Mr. Mayor' stars

After loving Even the Score and Playing with Fire by Kate Meader, she is on my list of must read authors. She knows how to write sexy, edgy, expert in cranking up the heat and building up the sexual tension between characters and an engaging unputdownable plot. Is the kind of easy to read dirty romance that you will want to finish in one sitting and end up with a big smile on your face.

Alexandra Dempsey is the female firefighter who had to work extra hard to
maggieandteddy
FREAKIN' LOVED IT!
I read this book at the perfect time. I haven't read the previous book in this series. I rarely just dive in to the 2nd book in a series. I just loved this premise.
I wasn't lost at all. Alexandra (Alex) is the only sister to foster brothers. The story is set in Chicago. Alex is a firefighter for the City of Chicago, as are her brothers. The book is 3rd person POV, alternating between Alex and Eli. Oh, wow, Eli. He's the Mayor of Chicago, and he's running for re-election. Alex
Chris  Carroll
If you are looking for a hot read to snuggle up with on a cool fall day, this is one that you need to grab.

Kate Meader has the knack for creating strong female leads with smart mouths that seem to always land them in a heap of trouble. Alex is not only strong physically, but also mentally. She is quick witted and the banter that is involved between her is Eli is fun and humorous.

Like her other books, this one is loaded with plenty of steam, fun between the family ties, and a hot hunk or two. Wh
Rejane
Feb 15, 2018 marked it as no-way-jose  ·  review of another edition
3rd one today. This cements the fact these women are here to stay and they’re stuck to make sure they stay alive. Lol

Wendy
I really love this authors writing style..the men are hot and the women feisty, just how I like it ;)
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)

Also posted at Booklovers For Life

I loved reading Playing with Fire! It’s a solid, entertaining read that is just SO good. It’s also seriously hot and sexy – I was totally not expecting the hero, the mayor of Chicago, to be as smokin’ as he was! Kate Meader has written a fantastic enemies-to-lovers romance that I was seriously invested in.

The first thing that attracted me to this book was the fact that the heroine is a female firefighter. I don’t think I’ve ever read about one before, so I was s
Fran
3.5 to 4 Stars
Maria Rose
Eli Cooper, Mayor of Chicago and sexiest man alive (according to People Magazine) may have the average woman in the city fooled, but to firefighter Alexandra Dempsey he’s just a smug, infuriating ass who has become the bane of her existence. When a chance rescue at a hotel fire results in a case of ‘who saved whom’, Eli’s mayoral candidacy team is quick to use the situation to their advantage in his upcoming re-election bid. Not above using any means to get Alexandra to toe the line, Eli’s got h ...more
Jo
“I’m a no-good, dirty, rotten bastard who knows what he wants and will fight like hell to get it. I’ll destroy anyone who says a word against you, who lays a hand upon you, who gets in my fucking way.”

Alex Dempsey, a rookie firefighter knows just how difficult it is for a woman to get respect in the male-dominant profession she works in. She’s also got first-hand experience, or thirty-four dates of them recently, to know that most men don’t like dating strong women. However, she’s determine

Jessica Lemmon
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, arc, ipad
So after my gushing review of Flirting with Fire, it should be a foregone conclusion that Eli Cooper would capture my heart. YOU GUYS. I love him. That smarmy, puckish, sharp-edged man. Mayor McAsshat not only earned his name in book 1, he kept earning it in book 2! Alexandra, the female firefighter lead was at once tough and soft, and a woman you can identify with whether it's over her waistline, or that ever-present female feeling of "I'm not enough." She was enough though, and the thing was, ...more
Claudia
I have to say, I love the "enemies to lovers" theme, which is one of the reasons I wanted to read this book. and I was not disappointed.
This book is everything one could want in a contemporary romance - although it is the second book in this series, it could be read as a stand-alone (as I did)

I loved Eli and Alex - both characters are just great. as well as the secondary characters.

the chemistry between the two of them is over the top and I really enjoyed how the relationship developed. there wa
Katie
Partially this low rating is because I took too long to read this! But that sexism also got hard to take and that wasn't ever fully addressed.

Also, some of the conflicts were just too much for me. I . . . might partially just not have been in the right mood.
CC
I enjoyed the first book in this series but this one just did not capture the same chemistry and steam.

I liked Alex more than I thought I would. Felt bad for her always trying to measure up to her brothers. Eli not so much. Absolutely, WAY too career focused for me. Willing to give her up for his job. Willing to let her sit in the sidelines. Willing to lie to her. I am not an Eli fan. Don't care what he did in the end. Telling the truth after you get caught is NOT redemption!

Keeping his ex wife
1-Click Addict Support Group
I’m voting ONE for Mayor Eli Cooper. Holy smokes, I AM IN LOVE!! *Sigh* *Swoon* *Flail* *Falls down dead*

Alex Dempsey doesn’t much like Mayor Eli Cooper. The (handsome, charming, sexy) jackass has made it clear that, because she’s a woman, she shouldn’t be a firefighter—she’s a distraction, she’s not strong enough, she’s a girl. But when Alex saves his life, she’s convinced she’s finally proven herself…

Of course, it’s never that simple in the grey world of politics. The Mayor is fighting a losin
Vee Paige
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!!! Review to come. Book hangover.

-----

First of all, the writing pulled me in. Immediately, something interesting was happening and you get a good mix of dialogue and narrative. But what was apparent is the chemistry between Alexandra (also called Alex) and Eli. The book is rife with sexual tension, excellent banter, verbal sparring and even the narrative was witty. My eyes ate up the words, and I couldn’t put the book down. Both characters are extremely likable. I always love
Ami
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-books, romance
I have been intrigued with Alex and Eli’s book after reading them in Flirting with Fire. Probably because they’re not the type of ‘common’ heroes and heroines I read lately.

Eli is, well, a borderline chauvinist male. Some of his thoughts about females, especially those working in strenuous and demanding jobs like firefighters, would probably boil my blood if I heard it in real life. While Alex is a spitfire, stubborn, impulsive, with a mouth that curses like sailors. They are not usual … in fact
Bargain Basement: Playing With Fire...$.99 (Kate Meader) 1 4 Sep 12, 2016 05:52PM
  • The Name of the Game (Something New, #3)
  • Barely Breathing (Colorado High Country, #1)
  • Santa Wore Leathers (Wild Heat, #0.5)
  • Ever After (Love to the Rescue, #3)
  • Athica Lane (Carpino, #3)
  • Playing with Trouble (Capital Confessions, #2)
  • Trouble When You Walked In
  • Hot Nights with the Fireman (Alpha Heroes, #1)
  • Fate and Forever (A Pound of Flesh, #2.5)
  • Breaking All Her Rules
  • Lawyer Up (Meeting Men, #2)
  • In Her Defense (Time Served #2)
  • The Marked Men Collection (Marked Men, #1-3)
  • Playing Knotty
  • Oh, Naughty Night!
  • Steal Me (New York's Finest, #2)
  • Hidden Impact (Safeguard, #1)
  • Fully Ignited (Boston Fire, #3)
Kate writes sexy contemporary romance with alpha heroes and strong heroines who can match their men quip for quip. Her latest series, the Chicago Rebels, is about a trio of estranged half-sisters who inherit their late father's hockey franchise.

Sign up for her newsletter to get updates on sales, giveaways, and new releases.

Order of the Chicago Rebels series about sexy hockey players:
0.5 IN SKA
More about Kate Meader

Hot in Chicago (3 books)
  • Flirting with Fire (Hot in Chicago, #1)
  • Sparking the Fire (Hot in Chicago, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Watching him walk over, Alex mused that Eli Cooper was the sort of man who knew how to use his physicality. Beneath his handmade shirts and tailored suits, a street fighter hummed through every loose-limbed motion. But that impression did not extend to his face, which was structurally perfect. Skyscraper-high cheekbones. Superhero jaw. A mouth that should have a government warning. There were no signs of past trouble with a jealous husband or an abandoned girlfriend. No one had ever broken his nose. No one had busted his lip.

Strange, because her first instinct on seeing him was to roundhouse kick him into the next millennium.”
5 likes
“She should pull away, even though she had begged for it with her smart mouth. She should punish him for every crime he’d perpetrated. For being too good-looking, too sexy, too everything. But the kiss was like him—just too damn good. Warm and brutal, providing answers to questions she never knew she had. He teased with his tongue along the seam of her mouth, seeking that last nudge of acceptance as if it was his God-given right.

She parted her lips, and like a predator hinged on her threshold, he took.”
4 likes