Start by marking “The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland” as Want to Read:
The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland

The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland

One of the U.S. Senate's most candid--and funniest--women tells the story of her life and her unshakeable faith in our democracy

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar has tackled every obstacle she's encountered--her parents' divorce, her father's alcoholism and recovery, her political campaigns and Washington's gridlock--with honesty, humor and pluck. Now, in The Senator Nex

Published August 25th 2015 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Senator Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Senator Next Door

Start your review of The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland
Jean
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amy Klobuchar is the first female U. S. Senator from Minnesota. I have found her memoir most interesting and it is not the typical political autobiography. I feel I have actually discovered the real person not the political shell. Recently I have read a number of books about women Senator mostly out of curiosity of what made them run for office. I have always been interested in the workings of government but never had the desire to run for an office.

The first part of the book is about her early
Clif Hostetler
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This is a memoir of Amy Klobuchar, senior Senator from Minnesota. I was surprised how much I enjoyed listening to the audio edition of this book. It is narrated by the Amy herself. By the time we reached the end of the book her clear and pleasant voice had thoroughly charmed me. I was completely won over and left wishing she could be my senator.

I’m not a constituent of her’s (i.e. not a resident of Minnesota), so there’s no particular reason why I should be interested in her story. I listened to
AnnieM
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'm biased. I don't care. Senator Klobuchar is what Washington really needs. A real person who knows how people really live. Sure people wouldn't agree because she went to Yale. Read the book. She isn't afraid of a little extra effort to save a buck. How many people do you know that would carry two suitcases and a trunk over a mile?

Obstacles aren't in your path. Obstacles are the path.
Julie
My friend Bonnie, who lives in Minneapolis, always gives me a Minnesota-themed book for Christmas. For Christmas 2015, this was the Minnesota book, and not only was it hardcover (we usually give each other paperbacks), but it was signed and inscribed to me by Senator Klobuchar herself! Bonnie included a note telling me all about how she came to get the book for me, and needless to say, I was blown away.

I immediately started reading this on Christmas Day, and found Senator Klobuchar's stories fr
Liz
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's really interesting to read this book in the middle of the hotly contested 2020 presidential primary and not right when it was released (in 2015). For one, Senator Klobuchar really tries to set the tone of folksy Midwesterner, but at least at this point in the primary, she definitely is coming off as more of the "smiling through gritted teeth" kind of person (and I like the latter Klobuchar much more than the former). I liked learning more about her background and about the issues she cares ...more
Mlg
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
A lot of political autobiographies are self-serving, this one is not. Klobuchar has a delightful sense of self deprecating humor that makes her story enjoyable to read. From her family's beginning in the iron mines of Ely, Minnesota, to her acceptance at Yale, law school at the University of Chicago, her wedding that didn't go quite as she planned, and her daughter who couldn't swallow for two years after she was born, Klobuchar shows herself as a fighter. She rose from partner in a Minn. law f ...more
Karen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Senator Next Door, as the title implies, is largely about Klobuchar's career as a prosecutor and U.S. senator. It's an interesting read (or listen) about this moderate Democrat who's now running for president. I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author.
Ericka Clouther
Klobuchar is clearly a good person, but wow, I was deeply unimpressed by this book. Nearly 3/4th is just memoir, which speaks of the excessive self-importance shared by candidates like Hickenlooper.

Additionally, I don’t think Klobuchar is part of the modern Democratic Party. There are too many urgent issues in this era, many of them caused by the far right, and it’s my opinion that centrists such as Klobuchar or Biden properly belong in a third party. The Republicans won’t have them, and neithe
Ann
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am completely biased as a Minnesotan but this book is excellent. Senator Klobuchar clearly articulates her life and accomplishments in a memoir that gives much credit for her success to her family and the many mentors and supporters she has worked with over the years. This book was published in 2015 and will make you yearn for the better days before the darkness of the Trump Presidency. However, her comments about what makes America great and what we need to do as a country to succeed and be b ...more
Randal White
After reading this, I have to ask myself, "Why can't we have nice things?". Common sense and empathy seem to be Klobuchar's strong suits. In the hyper-partisan, "fake news", twitter-verse we currently find our government in, why can't we have more leaders like her? I hope she sticks around and remains grounded. We need her!
Amy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This woman, mother, senator, attorney and wife GETS. STUFF. DONE. I enjoyed her casual writing style and following her story from her early beginnings. All of Washington should take notice and emulate her integrity and work ethic. Bring on the new year and bring about some change for the better!
Hannah
Part of my quest to read all of the 2020 Democratic candidates' Books. This is a hard no from me - barring major updates/voting history since this book was published in 2016.

Full review later.

Warren still has my primary hopes.
Nancy
I enjoyed presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar's book. She presents her ideas and accomplishments in a casual, easy-to-read style. It is almost as if Amy is sitting across the table talking. To me, she also comes across this way in television appearances. In my family, we joke that she may be a distant relative; it is possible, but probably unlikely.

Although the book was published in 2015, many of the issues Klobuchar comments on are still relevant today. (And what does that say about legislativ
Colette
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Becoming by Michelle Obama, I find myself judging political/life memoirs by a harsher standing. Becoming was just a helluva book. Senator Amy Klobuchar’s Senator Next Door ranks up among Becoming for me. Why? Senator Klobuchar like Michelle Obama write with such candor and relevance. I feel like Klobuchar let me into her world and communicated effectively who she is and how she governs. Frankly, she’s relatable and share her vulnerabilities. Further, she has a great sense of hu ...more
Beth Nienow
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
That moment when you realize your highly respected senator was once a high-achieving 1970s suburban high school student, as you might have been if you'd grown up in Wayzata or Plymouth instead of Lake Wobegon. And been high-achieving. Or any kind of achieving. I admired her humor and candor, though she is clearly a politician. Only the last fourth or so of the book covers her time in the senate, pre-T_p and circa Al, which already seems like a more innocent idealistic time. So I hope she will gi ...more
Heather Fox
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed learning more about Senator Klobuchar and her background before become a State Senator. The stories of her life and her time as Senator are honest and humorous. As a Minnesotan, you'll recognize many points in her life - the State Fair, Farm Fest, Mayo Clinic. No matter what your political views are, this book is a good read for any Minnesotan and anyone who would enjoy a story of an intelligent and successful woman.
Sam Dye
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all she is an excellent writer. Once I got going on this book I had to get it read. She gives a vivid picture of what her back ground did to facilitate her aggressive approach to each stage in her life. You don't get the feeling that she is covering one area at the expense of another. It is a very well balanced and informative book. Minnesotans should be very proud of their senior senator.
Nichola Gutgold
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book; humorous, self deprecating and plain spoken. Her early life is engrossing to read about for its normal middle class decency, AK is smart and sincere about what she wants to do as a leader. She is also charming and dare I say likable? One thing she does not do: suffer fools lightly.
Kellymark44
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
She is the girl next door, a very, very, smart girl, who happens to be the first female U.S. Senator from mn. She is impressive, down to earth and smart. Read this book and enjoy.
Ann
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strangely, I loved this book. I actually picked it up because John McCain called it a "must read." It's about politics, but not political.
Jaclyn Goodfellow-Olmsted
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Working my way through the Iowa 2020 book club list. Nothing exciting here.
Polly Fraga
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
It is hard not to like Amy Klobacher. She is kind and pragmatic, and does get stuff done. I was glad to learn more of her life story. Her book is more of “introduction to Amy” rather than uplifting and visionary. I recommend it for anyone who is contemplating supporting her for President, but as a stand alone memoir it is okay, not great.
Nick Neaton
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a hopelessly,
naively,
obnoxiously
optimistic book.
But you gotta kinda love it.

Did you know she's from Minnesota?

Truly, though, I loved learning more about MN politics throughout the last 30 years, especially the Wellstone legacy and the behind-the-scenes power of Walter Mondale.

Made me want to run for office.

Kinda.
Chelsea Lawson
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This audiobook was like a breath of fresh air in our stifling national politics. I appreciate Amy’s contributions to public life and her authentic style and moderatism.

I am also inspired to work with/through the system to make change. For example, when traveling through Canada this summer, I discovered this store I loved called Bulk Barn. The store has hundreds of foods and ingredients (along with recipes too) that you can choose from with no packaging. You bring whatever reusable container you
Aaron
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
With dry humor and interesting stories, Senator Amy Klobuchar shares the various happenings of her life. As the title would seem to imply, she really does seem to be wanting to seem like an average person and someone you would want to sit down and chat with. Her story is an interesting one, and the book definitely does seem to capture her voice. Like many other political books, she also share the various initiatives and projects she has worked on throughout her career both before and during her ...more
Molly
Senator Amy Klobuchar tells the story of her life and how she became the first woman to be elected as senator from the state of Minnesota. She is candid and funny and it is clear that she has unshakable faith in our democracy. This memoir absorbed me all the through. Klobuchar has had a long career and done so much good. Reading about her never ending fight to make life better for the people she serves made me feel proud to be Minnesotan and have her as my senator.
Caroline
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, strictly in terms of the enjoyment of reading the book, this would've been a three star. She's overwhelmingly earnest and (although it can be endearing) that doesn't make for great reading. As an advocate for my interests, she handily rates five stars. So for my review, I split the difference. In conclusion I will say, go Amy go!
Amayz
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What's not to love about this smart, witty and humble woman?
Cynthia
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved this book!! Very well written and fun to read! I love my senator, Amy! (Actually love both my senators!)
Jane
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Too bad there are not more politicians like she is portrayed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Off the Sidelines: Raise Your Voice, Change the World
  • An Unlikely Journey: Waking Up from My American Dream
  • United: Thoughts on Finding Common Ground and Advancing the Common Good
  • This Fight Is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America's Middle Class
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • Shortest Way Home: One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future
  • Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics
  • The War on Normal People: The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future
  • Where We Go from Here
  • The Right Answer: How We Can Unify Our Divided Nation
  • Barack and Joe: The Making of an Extraordinary Partnership
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
  • Hell and Other Destinations: A 21st-Century Memoir
Amy Jean Klobuchar is the senior United States Senator from Minnesota. She is a member of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, an affiliate of the Democratic Party. She is the first woman to be elected as a senator for Minnesota and is one of twenty female senators serving in the 113th United States Congress.

She previously served as the county attorney for Hennepin County, Minnesota, the m