Start by marking “The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland” as Want to Read:
The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland

The Senator Next Door: A Memoir from the Heartland

One of the U.S. Senate's most candid--and funniest--women tells the story of her life and her unshakeable faith in our democracy

Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar has tackled every obstacle she's encountered--her parents' divorce, her father's alcoholism and recovery, her political campaigns and Washington's gridlock--with honesty, humor and pluck. Now, in The Senator Next

Published August 25th 2015 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Senator Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Senator Next Door

Jean
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amy Klobuchar is the first female U. S. Senator from Minnesota. I have found her memoir most interesting and it is not the typical political autobiography. I feel I have actually discovered the real person not the political shell. Recently I have read a number of books about women Senator mostly out of curiosity of what made them run for office. I have always been interested in the workings of government but never had the desire to run for an office.

The first part of the book is about her early
Clif Hostetler
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
This is a memoir of Amy Klobuchar, senior Senator from Minnesota. I was surprised how much I enjoyed listening to the audio edition of this book. It is narrated by the Amy herself. By the time we reached the end of the book her clear and pleasant voice had thoroughly charmed me. I was completely won over and left wishing she could be my senator.

I’m not a constituent of her’s (i.e. not a resident of Minnesota), so there’s no particular reason why I should be interested in her story. I listened to
AnnieM
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I'm biased. I don't care. Senator Klobuchar is what Washington really needs. A real person who knows how people really live. Sure people wouldn't agree because she went to Yale. Read the book. She isn't afraid of a little extra effort to save a buck. How many people do you know that would carry two suitcases and a trunk over a mile?

Obstacles aren't in your path. Obstacles are the path.
Julie
My friend Bonnie, who lives in Minneapolis, always gives me a Minnesota-themed book for Christmas. For Christmas 2015, this was the Minnesota book, and not only was it hardcover (we usually give each other paperbacks), but it was signed and inscribed to me by Senator Klobuchar herself! Bonnie included a note telling me all about how she came to get the book for me, and needless to say, I was blown away.

I immediately started reading this on Christmas Day, and found Senator Klobuchar's stories fr
Mlg
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
A lot of political autobiographies are self-serving, this one is not. Klobuchar has a delightful sense of self deprecating humor that makes her story enjoyable to read. From her family's beginning in the iron mines of Ely, Minnesota, to her acceptance at Yale, law school at the University of Chicago, her wedding that didn't go quite as she planned, and her daughter who couldn't swallow for two years after she was born, Klobuchar shows herself as a fighter. She rose from partner in a Minn. law f ...more
Randal White
After reading this, I have to ask myself, "Why can't we have nice things?". Common sense and empathy seem to be Klobuchar's strong suits. In the hyper-partisan, "fake news", twitter-verse we currently find our government in, why can't we have more leaders like her? I hope she sticks around and remains grounded. We need her!
Hannah
Part of my quest to read all of the 2020 Democratic candidates' Books. This is a hard no from me - barring major updates/voting history since this book was published in 2016.

Full review later.

Warren still has my primary hopes.
Karen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Senator Next Door, as the title implies, is largely about Klobuchar's career as a prosecutor and U.S. senator. It's an interesting read (or listen) about this moderate Democrat who's now running for president. I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated by the author.
Amy
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This woman, mother, senator, attorney and wife GETS. STUFF. DONE. I enjoyed her casual writing style and following her story from her early beginnings. All of Washington should take notice and emulate her integrity and work ethic. Bring on the new year and bring about some change for the better!
Ann
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am completely biased as a Minnesotan but this book is excellent. Senator Klobuchar clearly articulates her life and accomplishments in a memoir that gives much credit for her success to her family and the many mentors and supporters she has worked with over the years. This book was published in 2015 and will make you yearn for the better days before the darkness of the Trump Presidency. However, her comments about what makes America great and what we need to do as a country to succeed and be b ...more
Nancy
I enjoyed presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar's book. She presents her ideas and accomplishments in a casual, easy-to-read style. It is almost as if Amy is sitting across the table talking. To me, she also comes across this way in television appearances. In my family, we joke that she may be a distant relative; it is possible, but probably unlikely.

Although the book was published in 2015, many of the issues Klobuchar comments on are still relevant today. (And what does that say about legislativ
Suzanne Mundy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much! I learned a lot about Amy Klobaucher. She is an amazing woman. I hope she will run for president of the United States in 2020.
Erin Goeman
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
President or Vice President in 2020!
Ruth Martin
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is fine. It gives the reader a good grasp of who Senator Klobuchar is, but any memoir/autobiography that I read after Michelle Obama’s Becoming is at a disadvantage.
Heather Fox
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed learning more about Senator Klobuchar and her background before become a State Senator. The stories of her life and her time as Senator are honest and humorous. As a Minnesotan, you'll recognize many points in her life - the State Fair, Farm Fest, Mayo Clinic. No matter what your political views are, this book is a good read for any Minnesotan and anyone who would enjoy a story of an intelligent and successful woman.
Stephanie Vanheel
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just love smart, driven women! She is inspiring and likable no matter what political party you may vote for.
Erin Burba
A boring, plodding book. So many lists of people Klobchar knows.
Anna
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, inspiring memoir! Amy is whip-smart, funny and engaging.
Colette
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Becoming by Michelle Obama, I find myself judging political/life memoirs by a harsher standing. Becoming was just a helluva book. Senator Amy Klobuchar’s Senator Next Door ranks up among Becoming for me. Why? Senator Klobuchar like Michelle Obama write with such candor and relevance. I feel like Klobuchar let me into her world and communicated effectively who she is and how she governs. Frankly, she’s relatable and share her vulnerabilities. Further, she has a great sense of hu ...more
Beth Nienow
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
That moment when you realize your highly respected senator was once a high-achieving 1970s suburban high school student, as you might have been if you'd grown up in Wayzata or Plymouth instead of Lake Wobegon. And been high-achieving. Or any kind of achieving. I admired her humor and candor, though she is clearly a politician. Only the last fourth or so of the book covers her time in the senate, pre-T_p and circa Al, which already seems like a more innocent idealistic time. So I hope she will gi ...more
Sam Dye
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all she is an excellent writer. Once I got going on this book I had to get it read. She gives a vivid picture of what her back ground did to facilitate her aggressive approach to each stage in her life. You don't get the feeling that she is covering one area at the expense of another. It is a very well balanced and informative book. Minnesotans should be very proud of their senior senator.
Molly
Senator Amy Klobuchar tells the story of her life and how she became the first woman to be elected as senator from the state of Minnesota. She is candid and funny and it is clear that she has unshakable faith in our democracy. This memoir absorbed me all the through. Klobuchar has had a long career and done so much good. Reading about her never ending fight to make life better for the people she serves made me feel proud to be Minnesotan and have her as my senator.
Caroline
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, strictly in terms of the enjoyment of reading the book, this would've been a three star. She's overwhelmingly earnest and (although it can be endearing) that doesn't make for great reading. As an advocate for my interests, she handily rates five stars. So for my review, I split the difference. In conclusion I will say, go Amy go!
Ann Kaim
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Strangely, I loved this book. I actually picked it up because John McCain called it a "must read." It's about politics, but not political.
Amayz
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What's not to love about this smart, witty and humble woman?
Kellymark44
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
She is the girl next door, a very, very, smart girl, who happens to be the first female U.S. Senator from mn. She is impressive, down to earth and smart. Read this book and enjoy.
Cynthia
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved this book!! Very well written and fun to read! I love my senator, Amy! (Actually love both my senators!)
Jane
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Too bad there are not more politicians like she is portrayed.
Jeanne
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
At first I wasn't sure how I felt about this book, but by the end Klobuchar really won me over. While there is a lot of informal joking (she's really funny), it's also incredibly smart, and very well written and edited. Also the citations at the end were impressive and really highlight the substance of the text. Unlike some of the other politician books I've been reading, the narrative flow works. At the end she notes that she wrote the book herself rather than working with a ghostwriter or co-a ...more
Laura Cobrinik
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This autobiography by Candidate and Senator, "Amy Klobuchar" was extremely informative and wonderful. While reading about Amy's childhood I felt as if I knew her....As in her childhood, her best vacations were "family bike rides." While the Klobuchar's bike rides were probably harder being that theirs were in "Hilly" Minnesota and mine were at the shore in New Jersey (during the "off season." Yes, when my brothers and I were in high school my parents and us kids would put our five bicycles on th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Through the Flower: My Struggle as a Woman Artist
  • The Art of Tough: Fearless Facing Politics and Life
  • Feminism Unmodified: Discourses on Life and Law
  • The Presidents and UFOs: A Secret History from FDR to Obama
  • Founding Fathers, Secret Societies: Freemasons, Illuminati, Rosicrucians, and the Decoding of the Great Seal
  • Nobel Prize Women in Science: Their Lives, Struggles, and Momentous Discoveries
  • The Pink Glass Swan: Selected Essays on Feminist Art
  • The Woman Behind the New Deal: The Life of Frances Perkins, FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • The Wrong Stuff: The Adventures and Misadventures of an 8th Air Force Aviator
  • In Spite of Everything: A Memoir
  • The Fierce Urgency of Now: Lyndon Johnson, Congress, and the Battle for the Great Society
  • Truth Decay: Defending Christianity Against the Challenges of Postmodernism
  • The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama
Amy Jean Klobuchar is the senior United States Senator from Minnesota. She is a member of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, an affiliate of the Democratic Party. She is the first woman to be elected as a senator for Minnesota and is one of twenty female senators serving in the 113th United States Congress.

She previously served as the county attorney for Hennepin County, Minnesota, the m