Start by marking “Raising Godly Tomatoes” as Want to Read:
Raising Godly Tomatoes

Raising Godly Tomatoes

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  108 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Weary of struggling with your toddler? Frustrated with the failing advice of secular psychologists and permissive parenting gurus? Leery of the strict focus on rules and the hyper-regimentation advocated elsewhere?

If you are simply looking for a straightforward Biblical approach to parenting that focuses on the heart of your child, as well as his outward actions, then Rais

Published January 1st 2007 by Krueger Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Raising Godly Tomatoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Godly Tomatoes

Sarah Dutko
Oct 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read this book a few years ago (it was given to me for my wedding), but I was familiar with the contents long before I read it. I actually grew up with Lynne Krueger and her children, and lived the methods in her book, and because of that I can tell you that it has dangerous long-term effects.

It twists scripture, and takes it out of context. In fact, it is based on the idea that we must WORK HARD ENOUGH in order to earn God's approval for ourselves and our children. That is antithetical to th
Havebooks Willread
This was my fourth time through, I think. Still one of my very favorite books on teaching children to obey. I appreciate her calm, loving, yet firm approach, and I needed reminded with child number six. I seem to have forgotten how to do this! ;) I took my dear sweet time reading a little here and there to get my focus back, and I'm enjoying my 20-month-old ever so much more as she's so much more pleasant to be around.
Audra
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
I started reading this book a year ago, and still haven't finished (I'm about 2/3 through). I guess that means I have effectively jumped ship, but since I have finished at least three other parenting-ish books in the meantime, it's probably with good reason.

There are some good pointers in this book, and the author's strategy of "tomato-staking" her children until they are obedient enough to trust farther-away-than-three-feet is an interesting one. However, chapter after chapter, my husband and I
Mar 30, 2012 rated it did not like it

this books theories really destroy the individuality and personalities of children while trying to align them with their parents desires. How can you teach your children to be strong adults who think for themselves and make choices for themselves when you use the rod every time they disobey until they do. You will either end up with children who obey out of fear or rebel. For parents with children who have un-diagnosed ADD/ADHD, aspergers... Etc. this book can do so much damage because you thin
Tricia Oaks
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Helpful things this book taught me: make it a priority to keep your kids close to you, even if it means neglecting housework or personal time, to train them consistently while they are young. Also, don't get angry and don't give up. Lastly, recognize that the whole Bible is a "parenting book."
Losing stars because I didn't agree with every practical tip & method and some scripture was used out of context.
Leah
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: orthopraxy
This book is a great compliment to Ted Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart, for it goes into specifics, how to's, and plenty of practical ideas of just how to discipline your children. Though I do not agree with everything she says, it is an excellent resource. She makes great points about consistency (how convicting!!), out lasting your child, biblical restoration (discipline is restorative, not punitive), and covers a myriad of questions from real life parents on real life situations. If you h ...more
Chrysti Hedding
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
This is one of my favourite parenting books! Very simple and practical, Mrs. Krueger talks about setting expectations of our children as they grow. What I like about the methods discussed in this book is while the author uses spanking as a way to train children, her methods can be done without spanking as well (training will just take longer). The book also discusses addressing the heart issues, and not just the behaviour issues. This book has brought a lot of peace to our home now that we’re fu ...more
Christina Lloyd
Jan 22, 2008 is currently reading it
Say what you mean, mean what you say. Outlast them. Be consistent.
Mandy
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm really enjoying this one - and it seems to be helping us!
George Craig
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best parenting book I have read and I've read over a dozen. The author gives a thorough and fair treatment of various parenting techniques and doesn't give he impression that there is only one correct way to handle problems that arise.

The author approaches all solutions from a Biblical perspective but does not merely provide Biblical principals for guidance. There is plenty of sound practical how-to advice throughout the book.

Every parent would benefit from reading this book, espec
Robyn
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the part in this book about outlasting your child and having a mommy radar. I also liked all the biblical references and the emphasis about training your children. There really was some valuable information, but I can't fully embrace the spaniking method because I would spank in frustration instead of trying to correct behavior...just too tempting.
Mar 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Lek
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is an honest and careful attempt to share what God has taught me in raising my 10 little blessings to become as they should be: created in the image of God. It is a practical guide to rearing young children.
Stuart
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I found this book initially difficult to receive. However, I feel that despite how intense her method is it isn't over complicated and might actually work. I'll have to talk this over with my wife, put it into practice with our son, and see how it works.
Amber
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read, and I think I might need to re-read at least a good portion of it AGAIN, right away!! I really needed to revisit it, and I need to remember it better, and be far more consistent and diligent with especially my little ones!
Lauren
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simple yet so WISE. This woman has raised 10 Godly children with success! I think every family needs to read this before and while raising children. This is the best book I have read on parenting.
A's Mom
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this method. my son has really responded to it. I love hearing "yes mama".
Krista
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very good guide on raising children with a heart of God, not just well behaved obedient children.
Claire
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. Lots of good encouragement and insights.
Leslie
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all books of this type, there are things to agree with and things to not. Things to think about and remember and others to not.
Monica
Oct 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel badly for her children. I understand wanting to raise them in a Godly way, but i've read the Bible many times myself and there are no passages that condone abusing your children. Criminal.
D
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very straightforward advice on how to raise children according to the word of God. I was impressed.
Janet
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adding to my Keep and reread shelf. Wonderful! Clear! Helpful! Read it and put it into practice.
Kirsty Mcglynn

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99