Start by marking “A Higher Standard: Leadership Strategies from America's First Female Four-Star General” as Want to Read:

On June 23, 2008, President George W. Bush nominated Ann Dunwoody as a four-star general in the US Army-the first time a woman had ever achieved that rank. The news generated excitement around the world. Now retired after nearly four decades in the Army, Dunwoody shares what she learned along the way, from her first command leading 100 soldiers to her final assignment, in
Published April 28th 2015 by Da Capo Press

To ask other readers questions about A Higher Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Higher Standard

Start your review of A Higher Standard: Leadership Strategies from America's First Female Four-Star General
Ian Stewart
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I mined this book for insight into leadership skills and management anecdotes but what I especially enjoyed in the end was a newfound respect for military life. And most especially the sense of multi-generational teamwork along with the sense of dedicating ones life to something bigger than themselves. But back to leadership skills: I wound up highlighting almost an entire chapter on what it means to have a vision, develop it, share it, and drive towards it. Probably the best no nonsense explana ...more
Tracy
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have wanted to read this book for as long as I knew about its publication. When I was a lieutenant in the 82nd Airborne, we had our first female field grade officer join the Division. That was Ann Dunwoody, who was then a major. I did not have many interactions with (then) Major Dunwoody as she was in the DISCOM and I was down at the Battalion level as the S-1. I was impressed with what I did see and tried to follow her career after I left the Division and later, the Army. I confess her prop b ...more
notgettingenough
Curious to look at this because the head high honcho of WordPress thinks it's great and she's been appointed to the board of WP, the first appointment since the board was first established.

Will it unlock some secrets behind the WP mindset?
Christina
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a veritable amount of good leadership tips and tricks in the book. I did find it difficult to read this because she wrote it like a military report and transitions sometimes were a bit abrupt. So I had to take my reader hat off and put my Army hat back on to get through. Kudos to General (Ret) Dunwoody on her career and thank you for sharing these insightful tips.
Allie Weiskopf
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
General Dunwoody was the first woman to become a four star general, and chronicles her journey from the Women’s Army Corps in 1974 to commanding an organization of 69K Soldiers in 2012. The book was a bit more disjointed than I would have liked, by the stories and leadership techniques were worth the read.
Fred
This was a good book. It wasn't great which was a bit disappointing to me considering that I have been hunting for it on the cheap for a while. The flow of the story wasn't really there. It was more than a bit out of order. Rather than Gen. McChrystal's biography that was fantastic, this one didn't go in a linear fashion a hundred percent of the time. Sometimes things happened out of order and she would go from talking about her time as a Lieutenant General to her time as a Major or Lieutenant C ...more
Kim
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Leadership Reading

The frequent and necessary reminder of the need for an ethical foundation and belief system as well as an ability to look within one's self. Excellent writing style. Factual as well as interesting.
James Pritchert
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a terrific book. It may be because the General and I were assigned to the same places on some occasions and we shared some similar experiences but I really enjoyed this book. Looking back over her military career, she provides many useful insights and observations into the US Army and into the politics that goes into that career field. If I were to embark on a military career now, I would devour this book and keep it as a ready reference. I have seen too many young officers run afoul of ...more
Douglas Meyer
General Dunwoody's book, much like her distinguished service, transcends the obvious labels. This isn't a great book for "women" leaders, "women" soldiers, "women" officers, etc. This is just a GREAT BOOK. Period. Her words of wisdom, personal experiences, storytelling, and easily digestible approach to sharing hard-fought lessons learned are much needed for any professional. I am a better man and leader for having spent time reading her story. I especially appreciated her humor, empathy, and ab ...more
Carla Doria Medina
Reading about General Ann Dunwoody was very interesting, especially her story and how she reached that position. The book adds teachings that her military experience taught her about leadership. There was very good material and strategies that are helpful for life in general and is truly inspiring to read from an iconic woman. As women, knowing that somebody had such an amazing life experience in her career with mostly persistence, perseverance, and discipline is very encouraging.

However, some
Vanessa Ward
Feb 21, 2020 marked it as could-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I don't typically read books like this; I prefer fiction. I thought I would give it a shot through since I was in the military for quite a few years and have worked in government. I was disappointed in the writing, mostly because of how repetitive it is. I couldn't finish it because it was driving me crazy. I admire the accomplishments of GEN Dunwoody and think it's incredible that she was the first female 4 star. If it had been written better and perhaps condensed, I think I would have really e ...more
Jonathan Pevarnek
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
A very good book going over the life of a remarkably gifted leader in the army. General Dunwoody tells many stories about her career and I found many of those stories to have very clear takeaways for how people in general could be more effective and just better overall. Without question, there's some useful tips I can take away and use in my own life.

One thing that would have been nice from an editing perspective would be to trim down the repetition. The same stories, framed almost exactly the s
Lori
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid review of Dunwoody’s career and leadership principles, told in her own words. It’s a rambly and folksy book, but there are genuinely interesting insights into military leadership and team building, along with her own biography. Don’t expect a nuanced critique of the American military-industrial complex, the uneasy dance of US patriotism-becoming-nationalism. But Dunwoody seems like someone who treated her people well, squashed wastefulness, and led with integrity. I appreciate that.
Walt Campbell
Love her story but didn't love this book. It ambles, rambles, and recovers ground so often that it feels like you've been dropped into the middle of a narrative jungle and have to find you way out. I listened to the audiobook version, not sure if I would have come away with the same impression if I had read a printed copy.
Song Flagler
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
She's an inspiration for sure, but the writing is a little shallow. Too many metaphors, similes, and examples. It's written from a passive voice too often. And a pretty big error in the first chapter. Not my cup o' tea.
Heather
Another great book pick from Julie! A positive story with practical leadership lessons from our first female to four.
Amy
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than expected!
Aseel
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed every aspect of this book! It's an easy read, and very enjoyable. Amy's lessons of leadership and life are very sincere and relatable. The book definitely had a very similar format to Lean In, which is another great book.

The ultimate theme, as evident from the title, is a higher standard. No matter of the set backs, the hardship, or the situation; a higher standard is what is going to be your key to success.

The book consists of 11 chapters, each designed a provide an insight and a les
Anne Mccune
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoire, 2016
Inspiring

General Dunwoody has high standards that served her well as she grew in her various assignments in the army. She gives us good ideas about improving our own lives, to seek ways we too can help this world be a better place. She was often recognised as a leader with great potential. Kudos to those who were willing to give her chances to advance. I am so glad she had so much support from her husband.
I also liked the way she talked about convincing people to do the right thing... how to kee
George
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
First review of this book. I'll be honest, I wanted to read what the author said about leadership, the Army, and others who I know or know of. Her lessons on leadership were good ones; especially for one who lives in a large bureaucracy like the Army. I was especially amused at the powerpoint slides that describe vision...Army ones are usually too busy to absorb without some contemplation. These were no different. Further, the story was pretty "green," Army green. Even more telling, the anecdota ...more
Esther
I loved this book, it affirms my beliefs and values of what I already believe in, she is a bad ass. This book has inspired me to believe in myself mainly, and be a part of the "boys club" which the military is no longer. But very good Valuable leadership lessons learned.
Mare
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a memoir. Not an autobiography -- though autobiographical elements appear on each page. This is a book about leadership strategies. Even if you are not looking to lead, the advice Dunwoody provides will inspire and influence you for the better.
Lisa
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic lessons

Great story, well written and inspiring. Good real world examples of the best type of leadership. Thank you, General Dunwoody for your service too!
Karen
well written, it did not engage me.
Papun Dutta
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leadership skills Ann has described reflects on her journey to the Highest position in Combat and everything she wrote will continue to inspire generations to come.
Karyn
Aug 13, 2019
Dec 18, 2015

• It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership
  • Brief: Make a Bigger Impact by Saying Less
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
  • Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • Free at Last?
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • The Myth of Monogamy: Fidelity and Infidelity in Animals and People
  • The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam
  • Radical Inclusion: What the Post-9/11 World Should Have Taught Us About Leadership
  • The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable
  • Shoot Like a Girl: One Woman's Dramatic Fight in Afghanistan and on the Home Front
  • Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People
  • No Time For Spectators: The Lessons That Mattered Most From West Point To The West Wing
  • Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success