Start by marking “Ask: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy...Create a Mass of Raving Fans...and Take Any Business to the Next Level” as Want to Read:

THE “MIND-READING” SYSTEM THAT IS REVOLUTIONIZING ONLINE BUSINESS

Do you know how to find out what people really want to buy?
(Not what you think they want, not what they say they want, but what they really want?)

The secret is asking the right questions - and the right questions are not what you might expect.

Ask is based on the compelling premise that you should NEVER have t

Published April 21st 2015 by Dunham Books (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask

Alexander Temerev
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lots and lots of BS, with some scattered advice here and there. And in the very end, there is a "formula", given w/o any explanation. The most important piece of advice seems to be this one:

Don't ask customers about what they want to see in your product — this is hard to answer. Ask what they hate in existing products, as it will give you much more feedback.

Here, I saved you $4.
Heidi The Reader
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I picked this up because I was looking for some pointers on creating online surveys for the public library. It has some excellent ideas, but they're buried beneath the coils of a very aggressive marketing formula. Levesque coaches businesses to send twelve follow up emails to customers, whether they purchase the product or not. Can you imagine? It's no wonder that people don't like giving their emails out, if that is the manner in which they will be used. I have to give it to Levesque- the man c ...more
Kalle Reunanen
Sep 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
"I, Me and myself did this and that blah blah..." Most of the book is about author and his promise to reveal the magic formula and promises how it will change everything. Uniqueness of the formula does not seem to bee to unique. Reading this was waste of time.

There are better books about how to understand what your customers need or want. You might want to try for example "Talking to Humans" by Giff Constable. You can find it here: http://www.talkingtohumans.com for free.
Daniel
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
This review will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Trust me. I've been using this review to CHANGE LIVES for years. But before I CHANGE YOUR LIFE, there is something you need to understand: I used to just be really smart, but ever since I overcame adversity in the hospital and wrote a really, long letter to my mom when I should've been working, I'm now really smart AND really important. Because, as it turns out, if you just email the hell out of people—without any concern for them—and keep asking them for money ...more
Jim
Oct 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
The first half of this book is the Author's autobiography where he spare's no modesty. The second half leads you to get his special training for a mere $497. Yes, that $500 less than the regular price. Save your time and money - don't read this book.
Ryan
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, persuasion
Ask is an interesting book for a few different reasons.

First, the book is split into two very different parts. Part 1 is all about the author's story, which includes his personal business story and a near-death experience. Part 2 is all about the Ask Formula methodology. Both parts of the book can be read by themselves. If you want to read the story, then the methodology, you can. If you only want to read about the methodology, you can skip Part 1 altogether. Part 1 is 59 pages; Part 2 is 119 pa
Nick
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
The author says repeatedly "the devil is in the detals" but he doesn't show you the details.

The book is used mainly as a free "hook" to get you to sign up for one of his premium products (survey software, paid membership group, consulting services).

This seems to be basically just an overview of what we can actually learn about if we paid for his premium products. He used his own tactics on us, readers :)

As an example of the crucial details that are missing: He gives you a rough copy of an email
Cara
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book offers a very clear, step-by-step process to follow to find out what your customers want and tailor your offerings to match. It seems like it would clearly work very well. Tons of juicy details--way too many to take notes on. Just buy this and follow it if you decide to do it.

One funny sidenote: I first encountered this author's work when he was a presenter at an online conference on publishing, talking about this book as a success story. The conference was hosted by a guy with a sligh
Amanda Roy
Sep 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Absolutely awful. I would not have finished it if it wasn't required reading for class. Reads like an infomercial, because it is. He is actually applying aspects of his formula in the book to try to persuade you to buy more of his products. While some valuable points are made regarding market segmentation and seeking continuous customer feedback - 99% of this book is garbage. Don't waste your time.
Jean-luc Brisebois
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lots of BS in this book. You know, the "you will see later in this book how to become rich", and that moment never come. Don't waste your time on this book.
المهند السبيعي
Jan 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
a lot of useless text and personal story
the part of asking questions was not realistic nor scientific ... not as per Marketing Research standards ... I didn't like this book at all
Grace
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: business owners, marketers
Ask., as it should go without saying, is a marketing book. Not only is about marketing, but it's also a large scale marketing effort for Levesque's methodology and highly priced programmes.

And, let's just say after the first half was a complete waste of my time, I'm really happy I got this book for free instead of spending the $13 to get it since it took me so long to get to the good stuff. Unless you want to read about how Levesque worked really hard under pressure, set his sights on something
Andy
Feb 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book simply is not worth your time.

I can't believe it took me to chapter seven without telling me anything other than pompous words about this "way of making money" and "the great idea of investiong in an internet project".
Also, around chapter 2 or three it gets really serious explaining how the author went to the bathroom 5 times a night to pee and he stuffed his face with doritos only to give you the cliffhanger: he's got type 1 diabetes and this changed his life. And the next chapter is
Doug Branscombe
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the concept of this book, finding the best way to ask people what they want, but the application of it for developing products and websites (which it provides excellent details and examples of) doesn't really apply for my job. I was intrigued by the overall concept, which says when you ask someone what they want (for dinner for example) most people will reply "I don't know", but if you ask what they don't want most will have an answer, and if you follow up by asking what they've had/eaten ...more
James Petzke
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had high hopes for this book but was disappointed. The author gives very little actual value, and the entire book is crammed with sales pitches for his more expensive products. It had a very scammy, get rich quick type of feel and promotes a highly aggressive sales strategy. I really like the principle of leading with questions to sell and surveying your customers, but this book just didn't resonate with me.
Artem
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, kindle
Not a formula at all. Pushy BS upsell technique at its best, although may deserve further research and could be useful on markets that are easy to manipulate, I guess. Mostly an infomercial for authors products.
Katelyn
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this for my blogging business. I think it is a great strategy to use but seems so simplistic. And he never ever touches on how to actually create the thing people say they want, let alone upsells and future products. Because, well, I am not always an expert at the thing people say they need help with, as I asked my email list and they need help cleaning with disabilities. I am a 30 year old mom with no mobility or health issues. I don't know anything about their issues!! So to create a co ...more
Cheri Flake
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my style, but I’m sure if you got into it it could totally work and maybe even be fun.
Dustan Woodhouse
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book stimulated some useful thought around my own processes for sure.

However I struggle with the opening pitch and its repetition at the end that 'these ideas are so powerful they can be used for evil' topped off with 'everything I charge others thousands for is right here in this book practically for free'. Sorry but both claims are hyperbole.

I am acutely aware of the difference between sharing my ideas in a book vs. a one-to-one coaching environment and what comes through in a book is a
Bashar Mahasen
The book is in 21 chapters. The first 10 chapters are about biography of the author and warmup about the secret sauce that would make you move from zero to one regardless the value of the idea itself.

The second half of the book is about asking people certain type of questions, arrange answers in excel and use the secret formula which should turn soil into gold and make you multi millioner.

For me it gave no value as the principle the book uses does not make sense and it contradict with itself. I
Melanie
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Insightful sales advice--I learned a thing or two!
Martijn Engler
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Martijn by: Niels Schuddeboom
Shelves: own-kindle
This could be a great way to come up with new products, and market existing ones. Reminds me of a few other "funnel products", but with a couple of clear advantages.
J.F. Penn
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Not really what I expected
Dillon
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A great read for those looking to start or grow an online business. Some key points in psychology as well as useful tips in using technology. There's two reasons I gave this book a four star instead of a five. The first is that although I'm personally aware of how powerful this formula can be, I hate coming across it's usage online. This may be primarily due to those individuals or comapanies skipping the first chapter in Part II. The second reason is that again, although the formula is very pow ...more
John Blackman
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a marketing book on how to build a funnel with a non-intuitive approach. Most funnels start with a lead magnet and drip campaign to entice customers to buy their products. This works.

Ryan has a different approach which is focused around surveys. Customers that actually answer them are supposedly vastly more likely to be a good fit for your business. So the theory goes not to engage in sales activity with any potential customer that doesn't get well qualified through your survey process.
Clint Browning
This book offers a method for developing and/or growing a business. Laid out in a step-wise manner, 'Ask.' presents a clear path for implementing the various steps. Although one can sign up for the programs certainly costing more than the publication, this book itself offers a detail method. One element that I noted was the explanation on how to grow an email list. Although still not as in depth as I would have liked, the approach on how to build and develop a customer list offered more explanat ...more
Taylor Ellwood
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This is a fairly solid explanation of Levesque's Ask methodology, and how surveying can be used to discover what your audience wants, so you can sell it to them. Of course the author is trying to sell his services, so there's some of that, but regardless you get a lot of good information and if you're already doing online marketing, this will help you understand how to use surveying to help you with your marketing efforts. I recommend it, in general, as a way of discovering what your audience re ...more
Titia Lenzhölzer-Maas
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A quick in between read, which I quite enjoyed. A few good takeaways for surveying but mostly a story of someone who felt inclined to do something and pulled it off in a big bold way. I once heard: "It's better to be loved ánd hated than to be merely tolerated." I'd sign off on that wholeheartedly. I enjoy stories of people who do not just say something but pour their heart into it, put their ass on the line and go for it. Anyone can criticize, doing something meaningful is much more work. And m ...more
James Attwood
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok

The basic lesson behind the book is to just continually ask the customer how you as a company can do better and how you can advertise towards them. Basically how to reach those customers you would usually lose. The book is split into 2 parts:

Part 1 (the story)has some great parts and can be very motivating! I personally really enjoyed this. But don’t read if you just want the marketing strategy.

Part 2 overall it’s pretty dull, I wouldn’t recommend reading unless you have a product/service to off
Elizabeth Mallov
Some of the business concepts in this book were good, but the tactics seem limited to certain types of businesses. As an author, I didn’t learn anything that would actually help me target more readers or increase my sales. Also as a consumer, I’m turned off by the advice to email customers so much and feel like businesses that do this are the reason so many customers are hesitant to share email addresses with businesses.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • Meaningful: The Story of Ideas That Fly
  • Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive, and Build Your Dream Business
  • Validating Product Ideas
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • Hypnotic Writing: How to Seduce and Persuade Customers with Only Your Words
  • The Conversion Code: Capture Internet Leads, Create Quality Appointments, Close More Sales
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • Will It Fly?: How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don't Waste Your Time and Money
  • World Wide Rave: Creating Triggers That Get Millions of People to Spread Your Ideas and Share Your Stories
  • The Lazy Project Manager and the Project from Hell
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Sticky Branding: 12.5 Ways to Stand Out, Attract Customers, and Grow an Incredible Brand
  • Renegades Write the Rules: How the Digital Royalty Use Social Media to Innovate
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Email Persuasion: Captivate and Engage Your Audience, Build Authority and Generate More Sales With Email Marketing
  • FIRE: How Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant Methods Ignite Innovation
  • The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
“People don’t know what they want.” 1 likes
“It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.” — STEVE JOBS” 1 likes