Start by marking “The Raven's Prophecy Tarot [Manual]” as Want to Read:
The Raven's Prophecy Tarot [Manual]

The Raven's Prophecy Tarot [Manual]

This record is for the manual included within Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven's Prophecy Tarot. The manual does not include a separate ISBN and is not sold separately.

The iridescent sheen of a raven's wing reveals a tantalizing glimpse of the future. A tattooed hand, sinews roiling like ley lines, peels back the gossamer veil that separates this world from the next.

With art
Published September 8th 2015 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Raven's Prophecy Tarot [Manual], please sign up.
Maggie Stiefvater My Raven Cycle readers spurred me to make this deck, but it's only very loosely based on the imagery from the Celtic mythology of the books. Although …moreMy Raven Cycle readers spurred me to make this deck, but it's only very loosely based on the imagery from the Celtic mythology of the books. Although I think they play well together, it was definitely designed as a usable tarot deck, not as a book tie-in.(less)
Steve The Raven's Prophecy is a tarot kit. All of the art was done by Maggie. Included in the kit is a guide book, "Illuminating the Prophecy," that explain…moreThe Raven's Prophecy is a tarot kit. All of the art was done by Maggie. Included in the kit is a guide book, "Illuminating the Prophecy," that explains how to utilize the deck.(less)
Shadowscapes Tarot [With Booklet] by Stephanie Pui-Mun LawThe Steampunk Tarot by Barbara MooreOsho Zen Tarot by OshoMystic Dreamer Tarot [With 78-Card Deck and Companion Book] by Heidi DarrasThe Wild Unknown Tarot Guidebook by Kim Krans
Tarot Decks
236 books — 64 voters
The Rules of Magic by Alice HoffmanThe Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth WareThe White Magic Five and Dime by Steve HockensmithVision in Silver by Anne BishopDealing by David   Wasserman
Tarot in Novels
23 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Raven's Prophecy Tarot [Manual]
Meg
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
perfect thing is perfect
Clare
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some lovely person bought me a copy of Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven's Prophecy Tarot deck off my Amazon wishlist. While most decks come with a little pamphlet that fits inside the card box, with a bare-bones explanation of each card -- usually one sentence or less -- this deck comes with a proper instruction book, although the result is that the box does not really fit the deck of cards. I'll need to find something to wrap them in.

The instruction book is called Illuminating the Prophecy and
Tez
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Rating is only for the 184-page booklet, Illuminating the Prophecy. Haven't cracked open the cards and done a spread yet, so I can't say how helpful everything is, but I've read the booklet.
bec ɤ
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
idek why but this really inspired me to want to get my life together
Emily (Falling for YA)
The deck is absolutely gorgeous! I also really like Maggie's take on the cards and descriptions throughout the book. It makes it easy for a beginner to give a couple different kinds of readings.
Abigail McAlister
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice.
the rating is mostly for the gorgeous /gorgeous/ illustrations on the cards.
Maggie Gordon
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Raven's Prophecy is a beautiful tarot deck with striking images. You do not have to be a fan of Stiefvater's fiction to enjoy these images. They are, according to her, based on Welsh symbolism, and the book she's written fits the images into the traditional RWS tradition with her own unique twists. I love reading with this deck. It's a bit snarky, but very clear. The changes from the RWS provide some new and interesting ways of looking at problems. My biggest issue is that the card stock is ...more
Mélanie D.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good introduction for beginners.
Abigail
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
an excellent introduction to tarot. a very practical and nuanced look at the cards and their relationships. personal and engaging, while being informative and memorable.
linnea h.
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic
Maggie Stiefvater is of course the best possible person to write about this and it was extremely interesting and also oddly soothing. Thanks, Maggie.
Anniken Haga
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction, 2016
REREAD 2019

Nothing much to say. I've been reading through the book again as I lay my cards, trying to freshen things up and make sure I remember everything right.

---------------------------------------

So I used to lay tarot's when I was younger, and some time ago, desided to pick it up again.
Because of life, I didn't get around to it until now in August.

The first book I read on the subject now, as a grown woman, was confussing, to say the least!
But I didn't give up, and bought The Raven's Pro
Tawni
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this. The art is just as beautiful in person as it looked in pictures. The accompanying book is very interesting to me both as someone in love with the Raven Cycle and as someone who has always wanted to learn how to use tarot cards but was too intimidated to buy a deck & jump in.

I believe that it is imperative that persons considering purchasing this know that it is really a tarot deck, and a guide book. I still believe that the cards tie in to TRC, but the book is not short stories. It
Petronėlė
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a very comprehensive and concise book on the basics of tarot cards and readings. I loved how the author was tying the cards into examples from her own life and from aspects of her novels. The art of the cards that this book came from was beautiful, but a bit too minimalistic for my taste. I would have prefer more obvious and detailed art, but that is just my personal opinion. Most importantly, I loved how the author consistently found both positives and negatives in all the cards, even ...more
Jes Reaver
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic, paranormal
Beautiful deck. A very good book to go with it, especially helpful for someone starting out. It's a no nonsense and practical way to approach tarot. While it ties into The Raven Cycle, it's not necessary to read them to use this deck at all. Stiefvater is just a great artist all around. She doesn't approach tarot as "telling the future" but explains how to use it to figure out problems or questions within your own life, to look at things from a different angle.
Jessica
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maggie could write a novel about watching paint dry and I would probably love it! But in all honesty, her take on the tarot is absolutely beautiful, she tells each card and even the suits as stories to reflect life. Her personality really comes through in her understanding of the cards and has genuinely changed my opinion of all of them. All lovers of Tarot should read the manual and study Maggies' beautiful artwork!
Ana
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I did a few readings using my friend's deck and then decided to buy it myself so I can just look at the art whenever I want, make people think I know what their future will bring, and make decisions more effectively than by flipping a coin.
Kip
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I love this take on the art of Tarot. She makes the meanings tangible yet spiritual, and the stories relatable yet dreamy. Highly recommend this book, leant to me by a lovely lady, to quell any tarot-related fears, or to inspire another look at the cards.
Raine
Apr 18, 2015 marked it as to-read
My anticipation for this to finally come out is insane. I've been searching for a deck that speak to me for the longest time... And finally I've found it.
Thank you Maggie.
Kim
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tarot
Super fun set of tarot cards.
Joana
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-english
I envy Maggie.
She's brilliant.
Not only she's an AMAZING writer, she's also a FANTASTIC artist.

jessica ☾
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this so much! It’s the perfect companion to the series, I couldn’t resist picking up at my local bookshop.
SA
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, found-hardcopy
I purchased this because Stiefvater published it, and because of its relationship to The Raven Cycle books, but I was absolutely blindsided by this deck and its artwork. It's a deck that I didn't know was missing in my life, and I'm thoroughly pleased with all the work I've done with it thus far.

The cards are nicely made with enough resiliency to stay unfrayed despite use and enough resistance to make working with them (and shuffling them) easy rather than arduous. The book is pretty solid, but
Rowan
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly what the title says - illuminating. I’ve always been interested in tarot because I feel like I’m connected with my spiritual side more than anything, but I never actually sat down and learned it, or got my own deck until now. I looked up the meanings of various cards before for writing purposes, but this is the first time I’ve read a detailed description of all the arcana, the suits and what they mean, and I think there was no better person than Maggie Stiefvater to write it. I ...more
Eva  Strange
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I was surprised by how well these cards works for me, considering that until recently the only deck that's ever clicked with me had been the Crowley tarot, which is in many ways the opposite of this one: full to the point of overflowing with symbols, hardly a square millimeter left blank in any given card, and oh-so-brightly coloured. With the Crowley tarot, you have to distill the pictures down to the essence that matters to you, whereas the Raven's Prophecy invites you expand the simple image ...more
Margery Bayne
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've had an aesthetic and intellectual interest in tarot for a numbers of years now, but the thought of reading about the 78 cards that make up a deck has always been a intimidating if even dreary prospect. Maggie infuses this tarot manual with her trademark wit that any reader of hers would know that made the reading fun and approachable, as well as memorable. Reading, you also get an insight to her and her process and connection with tarot, which again, readers of her The Raven Cycle, know pla ...more
Amy Wheeler
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maggie does a brilliant job helping the beginning reader move from the paint from numbers to looking at the images of the picture, visualizing the journey shown through the major and minor arcana, and helping ground meaning into the four suits. I've been reading for about a month now, and while I'll intermittently read through the major arcana or one of the suits to familiarize myself, I'm able to do readings, intuiting meaning from the cards themselves, or glancing at the keywords she writes at ...more
Astraios
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was fun. There is so many books lately that have more or less deep ties with Tarot and I was both confused and amazed at how spiritual, technical and poetic it sounded.
So obviously, as a big, big fan of the Raven Cycle, the opportunity to finally set a foot in the knowledge of Tarot through a simple and step-by-step explanation. And the deck is really pretty so obviously I had to try it over and over and over for the first few days while reading the manual, and it does work well to learn the
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nf-tarot
As someone who's been interested in tarot for a while but never really knew where to begin, this is an awesome entry-level kit. The art is gorgeous, of course, and the descriptions in the book shine with that inimitable Stiefvater style: conversational, confiding, humorous. Ultimately I'm left with the takeaway that tarot is highly personal and can only be mastered through practice — and I'm so excited to do my first reading.
A.M.
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
I was following Maggie on tumblr as she posted half completed shots of her art for this tarot deck. I didn’t even use tarot cards but it was so beautiful. And then months later I saw the deck on Book Depository for an excellent price.
Reader, I bought it.
And it is super cool.
And one of the things I really love is her essentially Maggie version of the readings for the card meanings. Just stop tossing out the ten of swords all the damn time, thanks deck.
4 stars
Raven
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first ever Tarot Card Set. I bought it because I adore Maggie Stiefvater. I love the beautiful art work on the tarot card set. I loved the manual and I think it is incredibly helpful for a person beginning to learn tarot. This is a beautifully designed tarot set with an excellently written manual.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Kitchen Table Tarot: Pull Up a Chair, Shuffle the Cards, and Let's Talk Tarot
  • The Queens of Innis Lear
  • Strange Grace
  • Glory's Teeth: A Novella of Hungry Girls and the End of the World (The United States of Asgard)
  • Lady Berserk: A Novella of Dragons, Trickster Gods, and Reality TV (The United States of Asgard)
  • Gold Runner: A Novella of Goblins, Theft, and Teenage Gods (The United States of Asgard)
  • The Devil's Dozen Thirteen Craft Rites of The Old One
  • Evermore
  • Crazy For You
  • 20 Years of Rolling Stone: What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been
  • Hold the Enlightenment
  • Taming Toxic People: The Science of Identifying and Dealing with Psychopaths at Work & at Home
  • The Gruen Transfer
New York Times bestselling author of The Shiver Trilogy, The Raven Cycle, and The Scorpio Races. Artist. Driver of things with wheels. Avid reader.

All of Maggie Stiefvater's life decisions have been formed by a desire to leave a mark, resulting in spray-painted cars, sharpie-covered computer printers, ink-splattered walls, and stories told in books, in magazines, and on stages. Maggie Stiefvater l