Jump to ratings and reviews

Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty: Don't Treat Thirst With Medications

For the first time in medical history, F. Batmanghelidj, M.D., has identified the crisis calls of the body for water -- pain, asthma, diabetes, hypertension, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, and more. He has discovered the key to a longer, healthier, and more vigorous life. He shares with you his medical breakthrough, that many people put their minds and bodies under intolerable and unecessary stress and become sick simply because they do not drink enough water. Unintentional dehydration leads to illness and painful, degenerative diseases that can be prevented, treated, and cure by drinking plenty of water. You will learn how to use water to:
* Prevent and reverse premature aging
* Eliminate pains including heartburn, back pain, arthritis, colitis pain, anginal pain, migraine headaches
* Cure asthma in a few days, naturally and forever
* Cure hypertension without diuretics or other medication
* Lose weight effortlessly and naturally, without strict dieting

182 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1992

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

F. Batmanghelidj

23 books33 followers
Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, M.D., an internationally renowned researcher, author and advocate of the natural healing power of water, was born in Iran in 1931. He attended Fettes College in Scotland and was a graduate of St. Mary's Hospital Medical School of London University, where he studied under Sir Alexander Fleming, who shared the Nobel Prize for the discovery of penicillin.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
81 (5%)
1 star
33 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 198 reviews
Profile Image for Surfergirl.
25 reviews1 follower
August 7, 2008
If you need motivation to drink more water, this book should inspire you. According to the book...

Nearly every function of the body is monitored and pegged to the efficient flow of water through our system. Water transports hormones, chemical messengers, and nutrients to vital organs of the body. When we don't keep our bodies well hydrated, they may react with a variety of signals… some of which, we would never think related to our poor drinking habits.

Medical research has shown that regular water intake will help eliminate dyspeptic pains like gastritis, duodenitis, and heartburn. Without getting into the technical and graphic details of digestion, our bodies use many hormones, enzymes, and neurotransmitters to complete the digestion process. Without ample water intake, the pancreas is less efficient, acids in the stomach are not properly neutralized, and the functions of the intestine are inhibited. Over an extended period of time, this can lead to constipation, colitis pain, false appendicitis pain, and even hiatus hernia.

Water intake is important for weight loss, not only for proper digestion, but to prevent overeating. The sensation of thirst and hunger are generated simultaneously to indicate the brain's needs. If you're not getting plenty of water, you'll likely eat more to satisfy your body's urge for water. When you feel hungry and drink water instead, you may find you're not as hungry as you think.

Don't confuse water consumption with fluid consumption. Sodas and coffee are not an acceptable substitute. In fact, you need to consume even MORE water if you're drinking sodas and coffee. Caffeine, one of the main components of most sodas, causes increased urine production and acts as a dehydrating agent. That's why you can drink sodas all day, and never feel satisfied. The water doesn't stay in the body long enough. In addition, you may mistakenly think that you've consumed enough "water" by drinking soda. When your body cries out for thirst, you're likely to over feed it with food instead.

The body is 75% water and 25% solid matter, and your body needs to stay well hydrated to operate at it's best. Not only will your body function more efficiently, but you may even avoid many health problems. Increased water consumption has been shown to help relieve migraine headaches, high blood cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis pain, allergies, and high blood pressure. And, since you're brain tissue is 85% water, your brain functions rely heavily on an ample water supply. Studies have shown that with prolonged dehydration, brain cells actually begin to shrink.

The book also has some interesting ideas on AIDS and the HIV virus. I wouldn't do it justice trying to summarize.

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jodi.
Author 3 books71 followers
March 10, 2012
This book was an interesting read and is worth reading if your library has a copy.

Maintaining good hydration is an important part of any health program, although other steps are also going to be necessary for almost all of us. Food allergies, high insulin levels from too many refined carbohydrates, chemical exposures and poor nutrient levels in food and many other problems all contribute to disease and must be dealt with in addition to drinking adequate water.

I wasn't at all convinced by the water cure testimonials given.

I must say I'm getting a bit tired of authors who claim that their one small specialty is the cure to everything! The water expert says all we need is water, the vitamin D expert says many diseases are caused by low D (and only recommends very low levels of other nutrient supplements) and the lipid expert says too much omega 6 is the cause of much disease and advocates high levels of omega 3 fats (and only recommends very low levels of other nutrient supplements) and so on!

The truth is that these recommendations all work best together, as part of a complete and balanced nutritional program that doesn't leave anything major out or leave you very low in any important nutrient. There is no one magic bullet. The body needs all the essential components to function well and be healthy and to heal disease. A lack of any of them will cause problems as every nutrient does everything, in the end.

I've been drinking lots of water for years, with extra unrefined sea salt and potassium, magnesium and calcium added to keep electrolytes in balance. I feel worse when I forget to drink my 3 litres or so, absolutely (and worse when I drink too much water too fast as well), and I know my body needs this much water, but this water intake is in no way a cure for my serious disease.

Readers should make sure to stay hydrated, but take the claims that water cures all ills with a grain of salt!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis)
Profile Image for Iona  Stewart.
769 reviews244 followers
May 7, 2022
I'd heard for years that I should be drinking more water, but nobody could tell me why this was so. At the same time I found it extremely difficult to increase my intake of water for apparently no good reason.

Finally, here is a book that explains why we should drink more water.

Dr B's explanation, which constitutes the important message of this book, is that many common, serious ailments are caused by simple dehydration.

When Dr B was incarcerated in prison in Iran for political reasons, he made the first of one of his important discoveries by completely alleviating the severe pain of a fellow inmate suffering from a stomach ulcer by giving him 3 glasses of water, no more no less.

The book contains many testimonials written by persons testifying that Dr B's water intake recommendations had cured/greatly alleviated their arthritis, headaches, MS, high blood pressure, dizziness, overweight, asthma, allergies, high cholesterol, angina, hiatal hernia, back pain, etc etc.

The amount of water we must drink is a minimum of 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeine-containing beverages don't count as water.

It's best to drink one glass half an hour before a meal and one glass two and a half hours after each meal. Two more glasses should be taken in connection with our biggest meal or before going to bed.

Personally I have no idea how much an ounce is, but ten glasses of water is equivalent to about 2 litres, so I try to drink 2 litres a day. I measure this by refilling empty 1/2 litre coconut water cartons, and try to drink 4 of these a day. Coconut water is actually the very best liquid one can drink since it contains the necessary electrolytes, or salts - this is information I learnt from another book, on coconut water,, which book I have also reviewed.

Dr B informs us that it is important to add to the diet about half a teaspoon of salt a day for every 2 litres of water one drinks (since one is drinking ordinary and not coconut water). I personally only use sea salt.

The book is extremely scientific, and I don't claim to understand all of the text, but still the author is totally convincing in his arguments about the absolute necessity of our increasing our intake of water.

He explains how the drinking of caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee, tea and cola exacerbates dehydration. He also explains how diet sodas cause weight gain and expatiates on the dangers of the artificial sweetener aspartame.

The book contains an exciting chapter on the doctor's ideas on AIDS, that it is not caused by the HIV virus but by an imbalance in the amino acid composition in the patients' bodies.

The late Dr B fought untiringly to get his message about the absolute necessity of increasing our water intake out to the world, but other doctors and authorities were impervious to his arguments. This was no doubt because water can't be patented, and the medicinal industries that control the doctors risk losing immense sums in drug profits, were the general public to discover that they could drop their drugs intake merely by drinking water.

I strongly recommend that you read this essential book which contains vital, life-saving information!
Profile Image for Annie Kate.
366 reviews15 followers
December 31, 2013
Ever since I discovered, decades ago, that drinking water cures my headaches, I've had a great respect for water.

That was enhanced when, as a physics graduate student, I studied biochemical molecules and became aware of the incredible supporting role water plays in biochemical processes by influencing the shape of molecules. Water is never mentioned, but it is always there.

So I was ready to pay attention to this book, and I'm glad I did. I feel much better when I drink water as the author suggests.

I have no idea how valid these ideas are scientifically, but since drinking water is a simple, healthy thing to do, it can't hurt anyone to try the recommendations for him or herself. If it works, you've gained a lot, and if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything...except maybe a few pounds
Profile Image for Ellis.
279 reviews2 followers
July 1, 2013
Bad, Horrible......

Yes, I believe that being properly hydrated is essential and under-appreciated. However, the volume of and reliance on anecdotal "evidence" reported in this book is reprehensible. While reading this book, many times I remembered what my mentor told me when I was a young Ph.D. candidate who was a little to ready to find the subject of my research to be a key element in so many other biochemical models. He told me, "when all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail". Well, perhaps this author would benefit from realizing that his dehydration hammer won't solve all health woes. Also, to make the statements made in this book, actual research needs to be done to see if brilliant thoughts are correct. It's not enough to just state ideas or possible mechanisms as fact without evidence.

That said, have a drink on me!
Profile Image for Susie.
348 reviews1 follower
June 21, 2019
I'm actually glad I read this. Obviously, the main premise of this book is that we all should drink more water. The author hits home over and over that this should be a great shift in the way western medicine operates. That dehydration is (at least initially) the cause of nearly all disease and doctors should prescribe water before medicines. I think this is an impossible uphill battle but kudos for his efforts.

This book is also a GREAT primer on just how the body works. I learned a lot about how the body works on a cellular level without totally going over my head. There is valuable information here spoken in laymens terms.

I admit that the premise here is a bit simplistic but that is the appeal for me. A simple solution is better than a complex one as far as I'm concerned. And it is actually not quite as easy as it seems, but definitely doable.
Profile Image for Samantha.
465 reviews12 followers
February 1, 2021
Okay. Here we go because I have THOUGHTS.

The premise is that we as Americans do not drink enough water and that if we did, a lot of illnesses would not exist and that we are jumping to conclusions of misdiagnoses without ruling out dehydration first. Fine, this is well and good for mild pain symptoms, headaches, stomach discomfort, etc. And I definitely will not argue that most individuals (myself included) do not drink enough water.

I will also preface that this doctor developed his ideas while serving a prison sentence in Iran and treating the prisoners in that jail. This may be related to a western vs eastern medicine issue; along with it being VERY old “science” as most of the “studies” he refers to are from the 1980s.

Alright- first issue is not content related (I’ll get to that) but structure. This book is all over the place. He’d talk about something for maybe a paragraph and then abandon it all together to talk about something that may have been related but was written so poorly that I have no idea how they were connected. His diagrams are worse than any diagram I’ve ever seen in any textbook and honestly don’t do anything to prove his point. While he may describe the way the body works well enough, it is then twisted to fit what he’s saying but honestly it just doesn’t make any sense. I had a hard time getting through this book not just because of the content but because I could not follow his train of thought.

Content issue- I’m not sure where he first lost me but it may be somewhere around where he says that bulimia can be cured if the individual would just drink more water or where the scientific proof he used was related to someone who had self diagnosed them self and was using chelation therapy. The authors “proof” is in the form of letters from his patients who apparently up and stopped their treatment and just started drinking more water.

A specific example I still can’t get past is where someone he was treating was having excruciating abdominal discomfort for 12 hours and was in the hospital trying to treat it. He asked the patient what he had tried and the patient said he had taken a whole bottle of antacids and 3 prescription pills (I can’t remember the name mainly because the author spent more time explaining how terrible they are for the body than what the name was). He then defends how he had him slowly increase his water intake and the pain went away and argues how not even all this medication could help him but water could. I’M SORRY?! I think I too would be in a world of pain if I took an entire bottle of antacids in a 12 hour period and 3 prescription pills that are supposed to be extra-strength. How can you make a scientific claim about water helping when the issue to begin with is the patient taking WAY too many meds in the first place?

I could keep going and would love to chat more about my specific issues (dehydration is the number one killer in America not heart disease, sunlight reduces cholesterol, salt prevents depression, rheumatoid joint pain is just dehydration) but I’m already too worked up (again) and this review is far too long. In short, don’t read the damn book.
Profile Image for Belasonic.
13 reviews2 followers
March 16, 2009
This book is a must-read resource that clearly explains a theory worthy of immediate consideration, in which we no longer regard the body as being regulated by SOLUTES (like minerals and vitamins). Instead, water, the life sustaining SOLVENT, regulates the functions of all systems first. This understanding of the cause of many pains and dis-eases would treat symptoms first as a simple local thirst by recommending to drink at least 2 L of water a day for 2 days. This simple prerequisite to pharmaceutical access would revolutionize our approach to health care and wellness. The future is more complex, but it is first more simple.
We need to return to the bigger idea of what's holding everything together, from our bodies to our planet, our dna to our galactic disc...water is resonant in our humble third dimension.

I digress...

With water, salt, and understanding, we may prevent and heal with common sense more effectively than with chemicals and commercials.

Learning simply with this new understanding of the roles that water plays creates a more dynamic space for us, for our environment, for the simplicity of our understanding of life.
Profile Image for Mark.
282 reviews1 follower
December 22, 2016
My mother recommended this book so I agreed to read it. The authors claims seemed a little over the top to me and didn't make sense. Why would your body respond to dehydration by signaling pain and discomfort instead of thirst. The author kept claiming his research was strongly backed by science and studies. After doing some quick checking it was clear that it is all a lie. The author has no (yes, ZERO) peer reviewed published articles and no clinical studies to back his claims. Everything is based on anecdotal evidence and him just coming up with theories despite no evidence to back it up. While drinking more water than you need doesn't tend to hurt anyone (except in extreme cases) there is little to no evidence it helps in any significant way. This persistent myth just won't die despite many scientist trying to battle it. Even many doctors push it despite the research showing otherwise. If you read it please take the time to at least look at the peer reviewed research on the subject.
Profile Image for Ashley Sekal.
125 reviews3 followers
February 8, 2018
Here I will share my rather saucy review I wrote for class:

1. What is the "Big Idea" of this book?

To quote the author, I think the big idea of the book is that “dehydration is the number one stressor to the human body.”

2. List three things you learned about water and hydration from this book.

In retrospect, I suppose that the importance of hydration to all the body’s functions should have been obvious. I’ve struggled for years with keeping plants alive, presumably because I can’t find the sweet spot for their water intake. People can’t be too different from plants in terms of the simple fact that we need water to survive. Here’s some specifics of what I learned from this book:
1. Dry mouth is one of the last signs of dehydration; the first signs are much deeper & involve weakening of important bodily functions.
2. Chronic pains not easily attributed to injury or something otherwise obvious should be considered a sign of water shortage in the area experiencing pain. Pain is a mechanism designed to safeguard against excess acid that can cause damage to the surrounding cells. Water washes away acidic toxic waste, so a lack of water in the area causes an increase in acidity [if I’m understanding correctly]. This change causes the nerve endings to report the change to the brain’s pain centers, resulting in pain.
3. 75% of the weight of the upper body is supported by the water stored in the cores of the spinal discs while the other 25% is supported by fibrous material surrounding the disc. This is one of the reasons that dehydration can result in back & neck pains.

4. Did you find anything contradictory to the philosophy of this class?

The author recommends tap water. He does touch on it being important to filter the tap water & to avoid water with known contaminants, but I’m not sure it’s possible to avoid tap water contaminants in this day & age. He also referred to chlorine as tap water’s “greatest gift to us” which made me laugh out loud. He recommends soy, which I believe is outright wrong [I believe NTA agrees]. He suggests soy milk as a healthy alternative for people allergic to cow’s milk which is ridiculous since the lectins in soy can damage the gut & eventually result in new allergies & sensitivities. While he does give butter as an option in his section on fats, he also made a comment about unsaturation being highly desirable for a cooking fat. Cooking with unsaturates is dangerous as the heat damages them & leads to the formation of free radicals. These are carcinogens that we then consume!

5. What are your thoughts/comments/perspectives about this book?

There was a lot of good information in this book, & there was also a lot I don’t agree with.

I honestly had a bit of a problem taking the author seriously after he said that drinking water with meals would fix bulimia. He made it sound like a purely physical problem. Bulimia’s a mental illness, & while I’m sure drinking water would help, I don’t think it would just magically fix the problem. As someone with mental illness, I do wholeheartedly believe that our diets have a great affect on mental health [especially due to the gut-brain connection], but describing bulimia as a physical disorder instead of one of psychological pain was a bit much for me.

I believe that part was fairly early in the book in the section concerning dyspepsia, so I had some time to warm back up to the author. I definitely think good, clean water & hydration is an important foundation of health, but he touts it as a cure-all. At one point he said that we don’t need to adhere to strict diets as long as we drink plenty of water before a meal. This I flat-out disagree with; the processed foods, sodas, & damaged polyunsaturated oils that make up the bulk of the American diet have to go if we’re going to see any progress. The author doesn’t condone these foods, but I don’t think drinking adequate water is going to magically cancel out the damage done by these “non-foods.” I also have to add that there are those of us with autoimmune disease who simply must avoid certain foods in order to protect our health. I don’t want my thyroid destroyed, so I will never purposefully eat gluten again. If I did eat it, I don’t think any amount of water would stop it from permeating my gut & promoting antibody formation.

My last complaint is the author’s assertion that the symptoms of Breast Implant Illness, as it’s now known, could have actually been caused by aspartame poisoning. I’m sure many of the Dow Corning victims were drinking diet soda too; I was one of those people who had body dysmorphia, got breast implants in 2008 when they were supposedly “safe,” & drank a bunch of Coke Zero under the assumption that it wouldn’t make me gain weight. Aspartame is not safe at all, & neither are breast implants. The answer to that problem doesn’t have to be one or the other.

That was a rather heated review; I must be feeling spicy today.
13 reviews
July 23, 2014
This is a controversial book! But many medical advances often find it difficult to convince the AMA that the new information should be supported. But I firmly believe that after reading this book, the position that a number of diseases are caused by chronic dehydration. Here are some chapters titles, and the diseases involved:

Dyspeptic Pain, Colitis, Hiatus Hernia
Rheumatoid Arthritis, Back pain, Neck pain, Angina pain, Headaches
Stress and Depression
High Blood Pressure
Higher Blood Cholesterol
Asthma and Allergies
Insulin-Independent Diabetes
and some New Ideas on AIDS
The final chapter also mentions sleep, fainting, color of urine, Salt free diet is stupid, and our responsibilities for our current health care system.

If you would like to find out more about this book, go to www.watercure.com.

This foreign born doctor fled Iran once he was released from their prison. The only reason his life was saved is because he was treating prisoners while in prison himself. He has thoroughly documented his contacts with the head of the AMA, and how they have done nothing to change our for-profit health care system. His letters date back to 1985 and several AMA Presidents. I can only guess as to why they have done nothing to change our system. And I doubt that our newly created system will change anything. I doubt government will force any changes because of how much our representatives receive from their lobby.

Your only choice is to believe the author, value his information, and use your logic to figure out if your health concerns may be related to dehydration. Buy the book and find out what your doctor is not telling you.

I've also drawn some additional conclusions that some early childhood ailments may be related to chemicals in our home that affect brain growth in infants. Breathing is all that is needed to alter the brain chemistry of a growing newborn. And if you have these chemicals in use in your home, then I suggest you find a less toxic way of cleaning in your home. Another factor may be how air-tight new homes have become. Less air interchange means higher levels of these chemicals staying in your home.

Also keep in mind that the longer you wait to improve your health, the more likely it is your body will no be able to get back to health, and make your health condition permanent. There are many systems involved with water, among them your hormones, endocrine system, and nervous system.

The author's advice is quite simple: drink 8 ounces of water 30 minutes before every meal, and 16 ounces about 90 minutes after. Some problems are solved immediately, like heartburn. While other problems can take up to a month. Many letters comment how quickly their problem was resolved by following his advice. And many endorsement letters are included in the book. One caution is in order: if you are taking any medication, get your doctor on board so s/he can monitor your condition! Once they see that your condition has improved, you will have done your due diligence in changing how our medical care system works!

Right now, the education of our doctors is completely lacking, because they do not teach anything about how water affects all systems, and how many ailments can be traced to lack of water. Why is this the case? Because our for profit system is beholden to the pharmaceutical industry! For those who live outside the United States, your education system is more open about new ideas. I hope this book will improve your health and influence your doctor. This book was published in 1992, and the AMA's insistence on pursuing money over quality health care needs to end! I hope that foreign scientific study will verify the veracity of the information in this book. The sooner this happens, the better our world health will become!
Profile Image for Shayla.
334 reviews22 followers
February 21, 2011
I didn't love the conspiratorial tone of the book, and I thought that it was not very well written. It seemed disjointed and he jumped around a lot as he was trying to explain something. At times, the medical/technical jargon was so much, that I just put it down or skimmed it and moved on. I wanted to give it 2 or 3 stars for these things. I almost didn't give it a chance because of how it was written, but it was recommended by a specialist we have been working with and I wanted to read it to not just throw his suggestion out the window. I'm glad I did read it in the end.

The content of the book was great. It didn't need all the conspiracy theory stuff... the research and information spoke for itself. Had the book been organized a bit better, I probably would have given it 5 stars. It really was a fantastic reminder to drink your water and why it is so important, and all the functions of the body that it improves. It was also amazing how many symptoms we generally treat with medication are actually dehydration symptoms. Drink your water!
Profile Image for Laura.
47 reviews
June 15, 2016
It took me a while to get into this book because I don't like his writing style or the copious amounts of letters from patients (it felt really salesy) and it came across as pretty hokey a lot of the time. I felt like I couldn't trust a lot of his claims because there didn't seem to be much scientific backing or citing of sources for many of his claims. Additionally he was pretty hyperbolic about water curing practically everything and being almost all you need to reverse problems and stay healthy.

Here are 3 things I learned from this book that I am glad to know:

- The body prioritizes the hydration of the brain above any other organ or system
- The brain not only uses sugar/glucose for energy, but also gets energy through hydroelectric processes, provided by water, and therefore not all "hunger" signals are for food, but could also be for water.
- Dehydration causes a depletion in tryptophan, an important precursor to serotonin, melatonin, DNA repair, and pain sensitivity.
Profile Image for Jessaka.
853 reviews100 followers
May 24, 2016
I was living in California when I heard about this book. I was coming out of a store in Encinitas when a guy walking into the store said, "What your body needs is water," and then he told me about this book. I bought it and still own it. Over the years doctors have constantly told me that I needed to drink more water. Last year it was my urologist who said that all my issues were due to lack of water. I keep trying.
Profile Image for Mandy.
381 reviews3 followers
July 20, 2019
Informative and interesting. Too medical for me to thoroughly enjoy got lost in the jargon.
Profile Image for Rasa Mauske.
16 reviews
April 18, 2020
Kažkada ši knyga išgelbėjo mane nuo nuolat kamuojančio rėmens 🙂
Profile Image for Ken.
93 reviews3 followers
September 26, 2012
I enjoyed listening to the audiobook. I've read reviews of this book here and other places and a preponderance of them say something like, "That much water? cures all those ailments?" And they go on to say that they will never get to the recommended level of water intake.

There are testimonials in the audiobook, however, that indicate that they did take in the recommended level of water and got the results the author purports.

Along with the testimonials, Dr. Batmanghelidj posits that the reason more doctors do not prescribe a proper water intake level is that the medical industry would collapse without prescriptions and surgeries. It's a big conspiracy theory. Much like the energy conspiracy that auto makers perpetrate, so the gas refinery system can be supported.

The good doctor does explain the complex system that our body is regarding dyspeptic pain, colitis pain, false appendicitis pain, hiatus hernia, arthritis pain, low back pain, neck pain, anginal pain, headaches, stress and depression, high blood pressure, excess body weight, asthma and allergies and insulin indepedent and dependent diabetes. Then, he explains how the proper level of water intake counters these maladies. He claims that medicines to alleviate symptoms of many of these problems dehydrate and can exacerbate the problem and many others associated with chronic dehydration.

He also prescribes some exercises to increase water absorption into spinal disks, walking every 12 hours and salt in the diet. The recommended level of water washes out needed salt, so it must be supplemented, rather than removed from the diet.

Dr. Batmanghelidj's recommendation for water intake is half your body weight in pounds of ounces of water intake per day. A 200 pound person's intake would be 100 ounces per day. A quart is 32 ounces and a gallon is 128. So, for most Americans we're talking 3, 4 and 5 quarts.

Timing is important as well. He says a glass or two of water, 30 minutes before a meal helps suppress appetite. NO, actually, he says that we mistake thirst for hunger, so the water before the meal is satisfying thirst, so your body gives you only hunger signals at meal time.

As far as fluids vs water. Fluids with caffeine and/or alcohol cancel out the water in them, so water intake must be water, not tea, coffee, beer or wine.

I recommend reading the book. It makes a lot of sense even though the recommendations sound outlandish.
December 30, 2013
Great book.. Definitely a must read for those who wants to improve their health without knowing how water can be a powerful medicine in their lives despite being cheap.. It also contains a lot of testimonials of people which suffered from several diseases such as ulcer being benefited through the water consumption..

Another highlight is the right mindset in regards some people who thinks that sodas can be a good substitute for water which in the reality doesnt contain the nutrients that water has and that the body needs...

As he says in one page of the book:

``In advanced societies, thinking that tea, coffee, alcohol, and manufactured beverages are desirable substitutes for
the purely natural water needs of the daily "stressed" body is an elementary but catastrophic mistake. It is true that
these beverages contain water, but what else they contain are dehydrating agents. They get rid of the water they are
dissolved in plus some more water from the reserves of the body! Today,dependent on all sorts of beverages that are commercially manufactured``

``I had to leave the room, and when I returned in about fifteen minutes, his pain had become less severe and his
groans stopped. I gave him another full ,glass of water—half a pint. In a few minutes, his pain disappeared
completely and he started taking notice of the people around him. He sat up and began to move toward the wall of
the room. With his back to the wall, he started to conduct conversations with his visitors who were now more
surprised than he at the sudden transformation that three glasses of water had brought about! For 10 hours, this
man had suffered from pain and taken the most potent and advanced medicines for the treatment of peptic ulcer
disease without any relief. Now, three glasses of water had produced an obvious and absolute relief in about 20
minutes.
``
Profile Image for Megan.
327 reviews22 followers
September 29, 2021
I think at this point, tbf long after the initial publication of this book, we all know that drinking adequate amounts of water each day is necessary for good health, and has a myriad of benefits for pretty much your whole body. That said, this should have been a fairly easy thing to argue.

And yet. . .

This book is written in a way that sets off all my 'snake oil' alarms. On reflection, it's the way this information is argued. There are references to hydration biology, but they are vague, study references are barely used and the details infuriatingly nonspecific. Instead we are given grand claims ('you're not sick'! 'medicine is poison!' 'this will save the economy') and heaps of anecdotes. I know anecdotes can feel important, and can be useful for the author to paint the picture, but let's be clear, anecdotes don't prove anything. Surely this very basic "water is good for you" idea wasn't so hard to find evidence for. Surely some studies have been done on the effects of dehydration.

There's also the dubious call to action at the end, where the author straight up asks you to contact him if you have tried his water cure and it worked. Notably he didn't even bother asking for info on everyone who tries it, only from those for whom it worked, just in case it wasn't clear already that these anecdotal 'proofs' were cherry picked from who knows how much overall information.

Overall I think we can all agree that a healthy person needs to drink adequate water, but I don't think there's anything trustworthy to learn from this book on the topic. These recommendations have already generally been accepted as guidelines for health (though not, of course, as a cure all), and our diseases continue to exist and our economy wasn't miraculously saved.
Profile Image for Liaken.
1,497 reviews
January 21, 2012
The good thing about this book is that it gets you to think differently about water and how much of it you drink each day. It gets you to consider the difference between a well-hydrated joint and a dehydrated joint.

The not-so-good thing about this book is that he really doesn't bother to cite any research and pretty much just explains his view along with testimonials from people with various problems who are doing better because they are drinking water.

The really dumb thing about this book is how it is formatted. It's like the author wanted to make sure that no one could flip through his book to find that part they were looking for ... in fact, at the beginning he says something about wanting the book to read like a novel about his love of water (which it does not), so therefore he's omitting things like an index and formatting cues to help readers find information. (Personally, I think he knew that his book needed more careful attention to research and citing of material, footnotes, etc., in order to make it. But he wanted to just get the book out.

So, is it worth a read? Hm. Probably. Just don't expect yourself to find what you're looking for by skimming. And ... well, keep your common sense turned on as you read.
Profile Image for Guillaume Belanger.
59 reviews17 followers
March 15, 2016
Dr. Batmanghelidj is an Iranian medical doctor working in the US. He was a political prisoner for some time and discovered by chance the amazing healing properties of water through his treatment of fellow prisoners by the only means available to him: drinking water.

This is a very important book as it explains in great detail the physiological effects of dehydration. I find it so important, in fact, that I have written three articles about water on my blog: Water, ageing and diseaseWhy we should drink water before meals and How much salt, how much water, and our amazing kidneys.

Although I personally find it very important to understand why, if you don't, then the long and short of it is simple: drink plenty of pure water throughout the day and on an empty stomach.
Profile Image for Douglas Larson.
391 reviews18 followers
January 18, 2023
An interesting premise that the author presents and then explains. I read this book years ago when the author was still alive. He has passed away now but I still recall reading this and being impressed. I can't speak to all of the medical conditions that the author postulates may be due to or at least exacberated by insufficient water in our diet. But I can speak to one of them. He states that people with chronic heart burn, should drink more water and presents a plan for doing so. At the time I was reading this I had expereinced heart burn, perhaps not chronically but more times than I cared for. So I started drinking water following Dr. Batmanghelidj's formula, i.e. 8 oz of water 30 minutes before each meal. The result for me was a reduction of heart burn incidents by about 80%. I still get heart burn on occasion but its pretty rare now. When I do, I simply drink more water. No more antacids for me.
Profile Image for Cheryl.
480 reviews3 followers
January 1, 2020
There is a lot I liked about this book. The scientific explanations describing the negative effects of dehydration on human physiology were VERY interesting. I agree with the author that all too often, we rely on medication, popping a pill, to alleviate discomfort and disease when it may not be necessary. Pharmaceutical companies make money by getting people on and keeping people on medication, not by having doctors suggest that patients try to increase their intake of water first before resorting to a lifetime of medication. That said, I do think the author is a bit too extreme in his subliminal assertion that drinking more water is the panacea for just about everything. His chapter on HIV and AIDS is also outdated given that this book was written some time ago. That said, since reading this book, I have made a conscious effort to increase the amount of water I drink each day and I’m looking forward to seeing if my personal experiment will improve my physical well being.
Profile Image for Teri.
250 reviews1 follower
May 18, 2022
This is another book recommended by Dr. Lorraine Day in support of one of the steps from her 10-Step Health Plan, which is to stay very well hydrated (8 eight-ounce glasses daily, or more if you feel an asthma or pain attack coming on). This is yet another simple and free healing modality everyone can do. There were many testimonials in this book from people who had healed themselves of achy joints, back pain, ulcers, asthma, allergies, and headaches-- just by drinking more water. This is how we flush the toxins from our bodies. Every system and cell (especially the immune system) requires water and cannot function adequately without it. There was one impressive study mentioned where 3000 ulcer patients were cured just by having them drink more water (and without meds!) (Note: for every 10 cups of water, you should consume 1/2 teaspoon of good quality salt on your food, to prevent flushing out all your electrolytes.) Yes, you will have to pee a lot more, especially in the beginning, but things will get better and less urgent as you get in the habit. The author says many back aches can be attributed to drinking insufficiently, so now when I feel back pain coming on, I immediately drink more.

(Not part of this book: Dr. Day credits drinking 16-20 glasses of water a day as the final piece of the healing puzzle when she was still in the early stages (near death's door) of trying to figure out how to heal herself from stage IV breast cancer. This was before her 10-Step Health Plan had solidified in her mind and when she was still in the early months of trying to figure out how to heal. Hydration is a critical key in the healing process. She even advises drinking water at night when you have to get up to go to the bathroom. Keep drinking, even then. I keep water by my bed at night now.)
Profile Image for Robbin.
731 reviews42 followers
October 9, 2020
This book was a gift from a friend. Because I battle with different health issues they thought it might be beneficial. While the wording was veryyyy similar to that of a ~medical journal. It was an interesting and different read and it made me look at drinking water and what I put into my body very differently. It was a learning experience, great for people who may be interested in learning about treating health issues without prescription medications.
Profile Image for Farhana Faruq.
670 reviews5 followers
February 7, 2020
I LOVED this book! I listened to it - audio was awesome. Basically the importance of water. Yes, we ALL know water is good for you and most of us are quite aware we're not drinking enough (Not liquids, water.) - but this is why it's so important. Our body is 75% water and yet we hardly pay attention to that part.

The doctor covers the importance of water, how it effects our different systems, letters from people/patients that have tried his water protocol and why the medical field doesn't want to acknowledge this simple solution to so many problems/illnesses.
Profile Image for Hattush.
47 reviews5 followers
August 19, 2022
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK!
I am shocked by how simply drinking water can prevent/cure so many deadly illnesses. Just plain, simple water!
Profile Image for Melody.
45 reviews1 follower
September 17, 2017
This was a very dense and technical read, but, for a non-expert, still beneficial. I've learned a few things I can implement in my day-to-day, but would have appreciated more pointed guidance, especially as it pertains to the salt requirements. What about the sodium contained in our daily foods? How does that affect Dr. B's guidance? I was left with a few questions.
Profile Image for Missy Ivey.
521 reviews28 followers
July 14, 2021
It’s not that it was badly written. It only gets 2-stars because I couldn’t understand half of what I was reading. It felt like the author kind of expected the reader to at least know something about physiology, which I don’t. But, somewhere in all that eye-gazing writing was some damn good information on why you need to drink water, and you need to start NOW before disease sets in.

According to this doctor, it is long-term chronic dehydrated cells in your body that is the start of almost all degenerative diseases. By hydrating your cells properly, with pure water (not tea, not coffee nor juice), there is a big chance that your disease will reverse itself, as long as it hasn’t gone on too long and taken a hold on your body. Even at that, you may even find some relief with water. With kidney disease, he explains a slower introduction to drinking water and the care you will need to take when on diuretics.

Your body will begin to give out signals of distress due to chronic dehydration before immunity breakdown, then eventually the onset of degenerative diseases set in. If your mouth is dry or your urine is dark colored yellow or orange, then you are already, and have long been, chronically dehydrated. With the body consisting of 75% water, and the brain 85% water, we need to make sure we are drinking plenty of it on a daily and ongoing basis. Every single function in the body is dependent on the efficient flow of water.

RECOMMENDED WATER REGIMEN:

No less than 2 to 2-1/2 quarts of pure water (that’s 8 to 10 (8 oz) glasses) daily minimum for a long period of time to fully hydrate the body. A large amount in just a few days, trying to make up for the lack of drinking water, doesn't work. Hydrating your body takes continuous water intake for weeks, sometimes months to properly hydrate your cells so you begin to see and feel results of disappearing symptoms.

Upon waking, begin your day with one or two 8 oz glasses of water (before morning coffee).

• Drink a glass of water 30 min before each meal...breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a glass 2-1/2 hours after each meal. (That's 6 glasses of water so far.) Add extra glass after heavy meals and/or 2 glasses before bed.
• 2 (1/2 hour) walks a day...morning and evening.
• Limit fatty and fried foods.
• Eat more omega-3 rich foods: flax seed, flax oil.
• Eat more omega-6 rich foods: safflower & sunflower oils (A spoonful daily of Dr. Udo's Choice oil mix: flax, sunflower, sesame, rice germ oil, wheat germ oil, oat germ oil, lecithin, vitamin E, and special triglycerides...should provide all the essential fatty acids the body needs).

There’s a lot more to this book if you can muster through it. The chapters deal with some of the more common degenerative diseases that cause chronic pain, ones we are all familiar with or we know someone suffering with, such as dyspeptic pain (heartburn, acid reflux), asthma and allergies, cholesterol, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis pain, anginal pain (heart pain on walking, or even at rest), low back pain, intermittent claudication (leg pain on walking), migraines and hangover headaches, colitis pain, brain issues (Alzheimer’s), and more. He goes into the physiology of each and tells you how to combat it.

DRINK YOUR WATER!!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 198 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.