Start by marking “Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty: Don't Treat Thirst With Medications” as Want to Read:

For the first time in medical history, F. Batmanghelidj, M.D., has identified the crisis calls of the body for water -- pain, asthma, diabetes, hypertension, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, and more. He has discovered the key to a longer, healthier, and more vigorous life. He shares with you his medical breakthrough, that many people put their minds and ...more
Published July 1st 1995 by Global Health Solutions (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Your Body's Many Cries for Water, please sign up.
Patricia Grootjans Yes, it does. It also says how much water is needed in specific situations. For example; when someone is experiencing pain, drink 3 glasses and notice…moreYes, it does. It also says how much water is needed in specific situations. For example; when someone is experiencing pain, drink 3 glasses and notice the difference.(less)

Start your review of Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty: Don't Treat Thirst With Medications
Surfergirl
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-books
This book was an interesting read and is worth reading if your library has a copy.

Maintaining good hydration is an important part of any health program, although other steps are also going to be necessary for almost all of us. Food allergies, high insulin levels from too many refined carbohydrates, chemical exposures and poor nutrient levels in food and many other problems all contribute to disease and must be dealt with in addition to drinking adequate water.

I wasn't at all convinced by the
Iona  Stewart
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd heard for years that I should be drinking more water, but nobody could tell me why this was so. At the same time I found it extremely difficult to increase my intake of water for apparently no good reason.

Finally, here is a book that explains why we should drink more water.

Dr B's explanation, which constitutes the important message of this book, is that many common, serious ailments are caused by simple dehydration.

When Dr B was incarcerated in prison in Iran for political reasons, he made
Annie Kate
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Ever since I discovered, decades ago, that drinking water cures my headaches, I've had a great respect for water.

That was enhanced when, as a physics graduate student, I studied biochemical molecules and became aware of the incredible supporting role water plays in biochemical processes by influencing the shape of molecules. Water is never mentioned, but it is always there.

So I was ready to pay attention to this book, and I'm glad I did. I feel much better when I drink water as the author
Susie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm actually glad I read this. Obviously, the main premise of this book is that we all should drink more water. The author hits home over and over that this should be a great shift in the way western medicine operates. That dehydration is (at least initially) the cause of nearly all disease and doctors should prescribe water before medicines. I think this is an impossible uphill battle but kudos for his efforts.

This book is also a GREAT primer on just how the body works. I learned a lot about
Ellis
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health, nonfiction
Bad, Horrible......

Yes, I believe that being properly hydrated is essential and under-appreciated. However, the volume of and reliance on anecdotal "evidence" reported in this book is reprehensible. While reading this book, many times I remembered what my mentor told me when I was a young Ph.D. candidate who was a little to ready to find the subject of my research to be a key element in so many other biochemical models. He told me, "when all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail".
Ashley Sekal
Here I will share my rather saucy review I wrote for class:

1. What is the "Big Idea" of this book?

To quote the author, I think the big idea of the book is that “dehydration is the number one stressor to the human body.”

2. List three things you learned about water and hydration from this book.

In retrospect, I suppose that the importance of hydration to all the body’s functions should have been obvious. I’ve struggled for years with keeping plants alive, presumably because I can’t find the sweet
Belasonic
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: water, thinkers, health
This book is a must-read resource that clearly explains a theory worthy of immediate consideration, in which we no longer regard the body as being regulated by SOLUTES (like minerals and vitamins). Instead, water, the life sustaining SOLVENT, regulates the functions of all systems first. This understanding of the cause of many pains and dis-eases would treat symptoms first as a simple local thirst by recommending to drink at least 2 L of water a day for 2 days. This simple prerequisite to ...more
Mandy
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Informative and interesting. Too medical for me to thoroughly enjoy got lost in the jargon.
Al Kutil
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Al by: Kalim Siddiqui
This is a controversial book! But many medical advances often find it difficult to convince the AMA that the new information should be supported. But I firmly believe that after reading this book, the position that a number of diseases are caused by chronic dehydration. Here are some chapters titles, and the diseases involved:

Dyspeptic Pain, Colitis, Hiatus Hernia
Rheumatoid Arthritis, Back pain, Neck pain, Angina pain, Headaches
Stress and Depression
High Blood Pressure
Higher Blood Cholesterol
Liaken
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
The good thing about this book is that it gets you to think differently about water and how much of it you drink each day. It gets you to consider the difference between a well-hydrated joint and a dehydrated joint.

The not-so-good thing about this book is that he really doesn't bother to cite any research and pretty much just explains his view along with testimonials from people with various problems who are doing better because they are drinking water.

The really dumb thing about this book is
Guillaume Belanger
Dr. Batmanghelidj is an Iranian medical doctor working in the US. He was a political prisoner for some time and discovered by chance the amazing healing properties of water through his treatment of fellow prisoners by the only means available to him: drinking water.

This is a very important book as it explains in great detail the physiological effects of dehydration. I find it so important, in fact, that I have written three articles about water on my blog:Water, ageing and disease,Why we should
Shayla
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't love the conspiratorial tone of the book, and I thought that it was not very well written. It seemed disjointed and he jumped around a lot as he was trying to explain something. At times, the medical/technical jargon was so much, that I just put it down or skimmed it and moved on. I wanted to give it 2 or 3 stars for these things. I almost didn't give it a chance because of how it was written, but it was recommended by a specialist we have been working with and I wanted to read it to ...more
Mark
Dec 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
My mother recommended this book so I agreed to read it. The authors claims seemed a little over the top to me and didn't make sense. Why would your body respond to dehydration by signaling pain and discomfort instead of thirst. The author kept claiming his research was strongly backed by science and studies. After doing some quick checking it was clear that it is all a lie. The author has no (yes, ZERO) peer reviewed published articles and no clinical studies to back his claims. Everything is ...more
L
Jun 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nutrition, 2016
It took me a while to get into this book because I don't like his writing style or the copious amounts of letters from patients (it felt really salesy) and it came across as pretty hokey a lot of the time. I felt like I couldn't trust a lot of his claims because there didn't seem to be much scientific backing or citing of sources for many of his claims. Additionally he was pretty hyperbolic about water curing practically everything and being almost all you need to reverse problems and stay ...more
Rickey
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: speakers who would like a strong foundation to present from
Being well hydrated helps in one's energy management, or health, in so many ways. This helps to decrease stress and increase function, so this can help with poise for performing.

Also, one's water level affects one's phonation, or vocal expression.
Melody
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very dense and technical read, but, for a non-expert, still beneficial. I've learned a few things I can implement in my day-to-day, but would have appreciated more pointed guidance, especially as it pertains to the salt requirements. What about the sodium contained in our daily foods? How does that affect Dr. B's guidance? I was left with a few questions.
Ken
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to the audiobook. I've read reviews of this book here and other places and a preponderance of them say something like, "That much water? cures all those ailments?" And they go on to say that they will never get to the recommended level of water intake.

There are testimonials in the audiobook, however, that indicate that they did take in the recommended level of water and got the results the author purports.

Along with the testimonials, Dr. Batmanghelidj posits that the reason
Lucas Gialluisi
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.. Definitely a must read for those who wants to improve their health without knowing how water can be a powerful medicine in their lives despite being cheap.. It also contains a lot of testimonials of people which suffered from several diseases such as ulcer being benefited through the water consumption..

Another highlight is the right mindset in regards some people who thinks that sodas can be a good substitute for water which in the reality doesnt contain the nutrients that water
Douglas Larson
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting premise that the author presents and then explains. I read this book years ago when the author was still alive. He has passed away now but I still recall reading this and being impressed. I can't speak to all of the medical conditions that the author postulates may be due to or at least exacberated by insufficient water in our diet. But I can speak to one of them. He states that people with chronic heart burn, should drink more water and presents a plan for doing so. At the time I ...more
Susan
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My only complaint with a very good book is that Dr Batmanghelidj does not really, other than indirectly on a recital of his sister's sunstroke, address the issue if one is too ill to get that water that one needs. That of course is a "fatal" flaw. Superb work. I highly recommend it for a good and healthy life though following it, drinking that much water, really is "work". I bought a gravity fed system, my third in this life, and added a water filter to my shower. I am definitely happier and ...more
Karen
Well the premise of we are all dehydrated and don't drink enough water is a good one. I don't believe that all the diseases listed in this book will be cured by drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day with a few crystals of sea salt on your tongue. I was disappointed in his lack of information about tap water. Finally it needed more than just testimonials to make all his claims legit. If you are looking to read an informative book on water, there probably are better ones out there.
Ken
Some people think this book's philosophy is outrageous. I find it believable. If the composition of the body is primarily water, does it not make sense that we need to keep it topped up? Does it also not make sense that the water we take in should be pure?

Some of the reading gets a little ponderous, but overall I think what is presented here should be taken more seriously than it seems to be taken,

Jessaka
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I was living in California when I heard about this book. I was coming out of a store in Encinitas when a guy walking into the store said, "What your body needs is water," and then he told me about this book. I bought it and still own it. Over the years doctors have constantly told me that I needed to drink more water. Last year it was my urologist who said that all my issues were due to lack of water. I keep trying.
Abhishek
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Hal
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Came across this audio version that caught my attention with its association with water and health. The author Dr. Batmanghelidj embarks upon his many reasons water is the number one factor in addressing most if not all health concerns.

We can take this with a grain of salt I suppose, pun intended, but it is not seemingly far fetched to see the values of water in our daily lives health wise. The author claims it as an almost cure-all for just about anything and he reinforces this with many
Carlyn Marie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're tired, in mediocre levels of health, doing just good enough, on medication, battling any sort of illness, have back pain, joint pain, skin conditions, digestive issues, struggling with mental health or are seeing a doctor for pretty much any reason... read Your Body's Many Cries for Water.

This book explains what it means to hydrate adequately. There's more to it than just drinking water.

The author demystifies our most basic and critical need that, when unmet, leads to undesirable
Daylynn Foster
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know that I have been living with chronic dehydration for a very long time until I picked up this book! While reading it over a weekend I drank water to re-balance my system & LIKE the changes in just a short time! I never realized just how important CONSISTENT water intake is! I don't know very many people that actually DO get their daily water needs met! I never want to go another day without ample, or more than ample water intake! The author died in 2004, unfortunately, but I am ...more
Pamela Huxtable
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: medical, non-fiction
This is a terrible piece of work, purported science with not a single study to back it up. Testimonials are not equal to scientific study, tests, trials. All Dr. Batmanghelidj has is some ideas, some good sounding chemistry, and a pile of letters from people that testify that their MS, allergies, heart disease, and more were cured by simply drinking more water.

Don't waste your time on junk science.
Christina Haas
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The information in this little book is priceless. At times it was a little too “sciency” for my brain, but the end conclusions make so much sense. I will be experimenting with water intake and hydration to see if that can cure some of the digestive ails I have. Hoping the chapter on water being a cure for asthma will inspire my daughter, an asthma sufferer since birth.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• THE MIRACULOUS RESULTS OF EXTREMELY HIGH DOSES OF THE SUNSHINE HORMONE VITAMIN D3 MY EXPERIMENT WITH HUGE DOSES OF D3 FROM 25,000 to 50,000 to 100,000 IU A Day OVER A 1 YEAR PERIOD
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good For You
  • The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--And How Eating More Might Save Your Life
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • Deeplight
  • Letters to Children
  • El arte de desaprender: La esencia de la bioneuroemoción
  • Predicciones 2018: El año para materializar todo lo que has soñado
  • ¿Por qué no fluye el amor en mi vida?
  • Un regalo para toda la vida
  • The Iodine Crisis: What You Don't Know About Iodine Can Wreck Your Life