Start by marking “Upon the Mountains” as Want to Read:
Upon the Mountains

Upon the Mountains

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews

Published January 30th 2007 by Covenant Communications (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Upon the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon the Mountains

Mommywest
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Set during World War I and the huge influenza epidemic, this story gives the reader a glimpse of what life was like for several family members and their friends in various locations. Also, one of the characters is a female studying to be a doctor, so the reader learns about women's rights and their struggles during that time period. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, but if the reader pays attention, it's not really a problem. I enjoyed learning more about World War I because World ...more
Teri
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone

In this very stirring and magnificent climax to this vast series, I can confidently say this novel richly deserved its being a final in two categories in the first ever LDS Whitney Awards this year. From Beacon Street in San Francisco, where Ina Bell, Kerri McKee, Bid Randall, Elizabeth and Kathryn Lund live, to Sutter Creek, Ca, where The Robinson's, Daniel, The Rosamund's and Philomene Johnson all live, to Salt Lake City, where Alaina, Eleanor, Grandpa Erickson, Mother Erickson live. Eleanor t
Tiffany
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story of a young LDS couple and their family and friends during World War I and the influenza pandemic of 1918. It's a great historical fiction and there are some wonderful facts about that time period at the end of the book that I found very interesting, albeit sad. It wasn't violent but it was a bit graphic regarding the aftermath of war, some description of soldiers who had been maimed and/or killed.
Elaine Dransfield
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this is one of the first books I've read that takes place during WWI. My heart broke as men had to live through the horrors of war and its devastation...and the after effects. Great counsel given to various individuals in the book (great helps for anyone dealing with various trials)...I want to pass the book on to those I know who are struggling to find answers as they face the problems of life. It is, of course, often hard to understand how great evil can exist when wars are raging and ...more
Allison
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually listened to this audio book. It is about one family (and their relations) during WW1. I did feel like the author tried to cover too many stories at once. Maybe it was the audio book, but I felt like she was jumping from one story to the next, not allowing enough character development. I felt compassion for these people though and hope that we have learned from war in the past to prevent such travesties in the future.
Michelle Llewellyn
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Unbeknownst to most readers who pick up this book, Upon the Mountains is actually the third and final book in a series by Gale Sears. The first two are Autumn Sky and Until the Dawn both easily forgettable titles. You won't be missing much if you skip the first two.
This is a work of historical fiction set in 1918 during WWI. Written in third person, taking place on two different continents, narration jumps around among a huge cast of characters, at least ten. San Francisco, Sutter Creek, Califor
Rachel
May 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book had potential to be really good. The two issues keeping it from being better for me are 1) too many characters to make smooth reading, and 2) there was obvious a prequel to this book though the preface nor cover indicated such.

There were so many different characters in different towns it made it difficult to read. The characters and places weren't even necessarily seperated by chapters so you never knew quite where you were until a paragraph or two into each section. It just didn't fl
Rayni
Apr 05, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rayni by: review from Cache Magazine 3/28/08
Upon the Mountains - Book 3 of 3 - Charlene Hirschi review from 3/28/08 Cache Magazine.
Review from Covenant Books:
World War I is raging in Europe. As America is drawn into the bitter conflict, Nephi Erickson comes to believe enlisting with the Marines is not only his duty, but also his best chance at making some much-needed money. He feels he has failed in his promise to care for his wife, Alaina, and their small daughter, Katie. As he leaves their tranquil Salt Lake City hillside home for a bar
Irene
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
World War I is raging in Europe. As America is drawn into the conflict, Nephi Erickson comes to believe enlisting with the Marines is not only his duty, but also his best chance at making some much-needed money. He feels he has failed in his promise to care for his wife, Alaina and their small daughter Katie. As he leaves their Salt Lake City homer for the battlefield where disease can be as deadly as the enemy, Nephi has no idea that Alaine is carrying their second ch
Jesse Whitehead
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Few books have the emotional impact that this one does. I’m not saying that it’s great writing, in fact there are parts that are so clunky that they induce cringes. What I’m saying is that the book clearly displays the characters and makes them likeable enough that it tears you apart at all the right moments.

This is probably one of the best examples I’ve ever read of historical fiction. The characters are as ignorant as they should be for their time. World War I rages across Europe and when it e
Heather
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book had so many main characters in so many different settings it made it hard to follow. It jumps around between at least 8 different settings, each having it's own set of characters to keep track of. On top of that sometimes the character is referred to by their first name, sometimes by the last name, and sometimes by a nickname. I was halfway through the book before I felt like I was really enjoying it. The last quarter of the book was pretty good, but I just didn't think it was worth wa ...more
Susan
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is book three. It is heartbreaking the atrocities of this war. On top of all that, influenza takes its own toll on the lives of these characters that are so familiar to me. I found that I couldn't wait for the war to end so that Nephi and James would come home hopefully alive.

Eleanor becomes more of a main character in this story. She is remarkable and speaks her mind so openly that it's fun.

I loved the ending to this trilogy.
Cathy
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as her other 2 books I've read--The Silence of God and Belonging to Heaven. But I do want to read it again because I want to understand the people better. Who belongs to whom; Who served together in the war, etc. For some reason I had a hard time keeping all the people straight. I did like to read what went on over in Europe during the war. My grandfather served our country in the army during WWI in Europe.
Ndshill
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was the third and concluding book of the series. I listened to this while returning home from AZ in March. It was the most interesting historically of the three. It dealt very well with WWI and the flu epidemic. I was disappointed that she wrapped everything up in a fairy tale ending. I would have prefered a hint that some relationships would mature into marriage rather than have everyone all matched up perfectly at the end.
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the stories of WWI from the perspective of a wife of a marine and the wife's sister, a nurse during the influenza pandemic. The reason I love historical fiction is that I learn more about history than I would if I were to read/study a history textbook. I love that I now know that there was an influenza outbreak that killed more than the casualties from WWI, even though it was so hard for the people to live at that time.
Kim
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book made my heart soar and plummet so many times, I loved it. it is such a beautifully written book with tragedy and hope and just the right amount of humor. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends.
Kara
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I had to read this one becuase it is the third book in the series and the author made the characters so likable that I had to find out what more I could about them. I liked this book, although some of the descriptions were hard for me to read...too gorey for me.
Mindy
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I started reading this book, and didn't realize that it had a prequel, so I stopped and went back to read the first two books, then returned to it. It tied up all the loose ends, and was a good conclusion to the story. Relatively entertaining.
Lydia
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is a WWI book with LDS characters. I've read a lot of WWII books but not much on WWI. It was interesting to see all the new things they were experiences--telephones in homes, still riding trains, tanks and airplanes with machine guns attached in war....
Amy
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a good book but a very sad book. It was hard to read in some places cause you could feel the pain that the people where going through. It is a very hard sad book to read. Some places in the book were a little slow and other parts were a little hard to read.
Tara
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It could have been much better if the author would have focused in on just a few of the storylines instead of running so many different situations through the book. I felt like I didn't have time to connect to the characters before I was reading about someone else.
Julie
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I don't know much about the 1st World War so this was interesting to me. I didn't know it was part of a series, but as I got into it I realized I had read the others. I worried about influenza all day at school. Can't afford to get sick.
Universitybabe
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay, This book was good but probably the least favorite of the series. A lot of extra characters were thrown in and time flew without an idea of the people and their feelings. Could have been better, I felt like she was in a hurry to end the story.
Wendy
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this the best out of the series, although (as I found out) it wouldn't be great without reading the others. It almost came out a bit too pat, but I had a lot of empathy for the characters and loved that they were able to get back to the farm.
Kisty
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series! You can tell you've read a good book/books, when days after you're still thinking of the characters and their lives! The first book in the series is Autumn Sky and the second is, Until the Dawn. This is the 3rd book in the Trilogy. Each book drew me in deeper and deeper!
Tiffany Southern
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you like Michelle Bell or LDS historical fiction you'll love this book. I cried like a baby at the end. Takes place during WW1. Try and read the first two books before reading this one, but is a good book even if you haven't read the rest of the series.
Tessa
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This book took me forever to read! I only finished because I have a hard time not finishing a book unless it's really bad. So with this one I finished and the last half of the book was much much better than the first half.
Becky
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I liked the story line fine, but the writing style is just not my cup of tea.
Lisa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm on a Gale Sears kick and have read almost all of her books. I didn't know this was part of a trilogy, though, so I read it backwards. haha
Claudia
Nov 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I learned after listening to this book on cd, that it was the last in a series of three books. It might have helped to read the first two, but I don't intend to go back and read them now.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Spires of Stone
  • Grave Secrets
  • Land of Inheritance (Out of Jerusalem, #4)
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • Bullies in the Headlights
  • The Independence Club
  • Sheep's Clothing
  • Poisoned Pedigree
  • Before the Dawn
  • Blink of An Eye
  • The Deep End (Undercurrents, #3)
  • Counting Stars
  • Methods of Madness
  • This Just in
  • Midnight Whispers
  • Three Tickets to Peoria (The Company of Good Women, #2)
  • The Kingdom and the Crown: The Complete Series