Start by marking “The Traveling Man (The Travelers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Traveling Man (The Travelers, #1)

Read Book

The Traveling Man

(The Travelers #1)

Deception. Betrayal. Retribution. Married con artists, using the aliases Tom and Patty Brown, arrive in the small city of Seanboro with their partner, Buddy Ray, masquerading as land speculators. Their plan is to falsify the environmental reports on a contaminated tract of lakefront property and sell the land to a local gangster who is involved in real estate development. ...more
Published April 1st 2015 by Blurred Lines Press (first published March 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Traveling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traveling Man

Carrie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
The Traveling Man by Michael P. King is the first book of the The Travelers series. This is a rather dark and gritty thriller in which the good guys are the bad guys but end up pursued by the worst guys. Tom and Patty Brown are con artists that find their latest con of selling land to a gangster backfires and they end up with their own partner, Buddy Ray, after them. Didn't really find much about this one that really drew me in. While there's action I just didn't find myself really caring or con ...more
Harmony Kent
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I bought a copy of this book after seeing the author recommended by a fellow member of a book club. The action starts right from the get go and keeps up at a fast pace throughout. The Traveling Man tells a story about two drifters, a husband and wife, who work together on various nefarious scams. Initially they team up with a third guy, but he soon falls afoul. This book reads like two separate stories, with two completely different scams in each half. The main characters are scammers without mo ...more
Don Sloan
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not since The Sting paired Redford and Newman has there been a more perfect con artist story than Traveling Man. It's got everything: high-stakes swindles, smooth-talking operators, clueless marks, corrupt county officials, plenty of sex -- The Sting didn't have that, unfortunately -- and a mobster ready to make everyone go away if need be.

Who could ask for more in the plot of a first-rate thriller? Oh, I forgot to mention the doublecrosses -- plenty of those are on tap, too, in this well-writte
Jim A
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Would have rated more stars had the author not tried so hard to do too much. Story started out great. A husband and wife grifter team trying to scam a mobster in a real estate transaction. It deteriorated from there. No redeeming values to any of the players except the true property owners. I think the author was trying to make the Browns into the mold of Richard Stark's Parker.

After the real estate scam, King segues into a robbery and series of killings. Totally out of context for grifters. Wa
Aly
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. I was caught up in the book and I didn't want to put it down. It was a wonderful surprise for me. I think if you like thrillers, you should check this book out! * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
William Stuart
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every now and then, I like to read a crime thriller. I ran across The Traveling Man (The Traveler’s, #1) by Michael P. King and put it on the TBR list. Here is my review!

Synopsis (from the author):
In a life-and-death contest among criminals, even the most cunning may not survive…

The Traveling Man and his wife have built a life for themselves conning criminals and getting away scot-free. But when their latest scheme to sell contaminated land goes south, they find themselves in a cat-and-mouse gam
Cliff Dalton
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Con Artists and Grifters

These folks work harder at ripping off their victims than if they had regular day jobs. The couple, who go by different names from job to job, only have a pseudo conscious.
To them they prey on one of two types of people the crooks, every one else is a civilian. And the cops, they avoid the cops.
They struggle with their own dynamic and lack of trust. They justify killing because they leave no witnesses that could cause trouble down the road. They beat up people and peopl
John
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, thriller
I really enjoyed the twists and turns that Michael P King put into this book about a couple of con-artists and their not so everything goes alright cons. But, it was more than just people pulling cons, it was also about betrayal, trust, and of course, the strength of love. The characters were delightfully sinful and fun as they practiced their trade with precision until they were often forced to go with plan B or even C or even just wing-it. But the surprises this reader did not fully expect wer ...more
Jeff Cochrane
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard to decide on rating

I really enjoy books about a con job which is why I selected this. This is actually two novellas under one cover. Here is my problem: the first story was a con job which I really enjoyed. No complaints there. The second half was a heist story. Well written with lots of twists and speed bumps, but I was looking forward to another con job. Little disappointed on that score. No pun intended. Book 2 sounds like a straight heist story but I know there will be complications. L
Flanagan
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, Michael P. King can capture and imprison unsuspecting readers and keep them chained up without food, water, or sleep!

"The Traveling Man" is well crafted: the plot is unusual, funny, and rife with: twists; backfires; double-dealers; and tragic events. Although not in the class of, say, "The Maltese Falcon", it is every bit as engaging and compelling, and humorous as well.

With just this one book, I'm now a lifelong fan and avid reader, and will search out and devour his works as avidly as I d
Kerry Sharp
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Likeable grifters

Despite their moral turpitude, murder, honey traping and generally being villainous, they are quite likable. They bring their own moral code to criminality.
The story is pacey and rarely dull with twists and turns to even keep the jaded happy.
All in all a good read.
James N Fulton, Jr.
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be another version of The Sting

This started out like a new we version of the sting, but got violent very quickly. There are criminals that have a sense of what is right and wrong to them, not a legal sense. I found it intriguing and will read more of the series.
Raymond White
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining read, but I had difficulty identifying with the main characters--perhaps because they were crooks who, seemingly, had very little conscience. Still, the plot was interesting and had enough twists to keep me interested.
Clifton Brown
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Real Estate con goes sideways

This book has an interesting cast of characters, from a trio of con artists, a local crime boss, an old couple on the verge of losing everything, cops and other assorted characters. This book is fast paced and twists you didn't see coming.
Jerry Peace
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun book. The cons aren't sophisticated and none of the characters are super bright, but luck is a character that too often is absent from pieces like this. I, as the Traveling Ma, would have done some things differently. But I am perhaps not as moral as he.
Soulac English
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. The stroy of a conman and his group. characters had depth and the stroy was picturesque. No heavy language and the sex was there without being explicit. I'll certainly add King to my reading list to see if his others are of the same quality.
Jenna Golik
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. A suspense that grips you from the very beginning

Just forget what you are doing and read this book. You really are happy for the criminals in this book. It also is a love story that is interwoven.
John R. Goyer
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hardly great literature, but a fun read with engaging characters - sort of how things can go wrong with plans, but with a satisfying conclusion where things go right for a change. Kind of in the guilty pleasure category, I'll be looking for the next volume...
Ruthanne Taylor
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It had everything a book needs to hold the interest of the reader. ThT being said it was not good enough to warrant buying other books in the series.
Nick Daniels
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok

Decent story but dragged on at times as the chapters were really long. Character development was really good as was the author's descriptions
Ed Terry
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Don't do crime

Read this to the end, never got better. A kind of Bonnie and Clyde couple. I'm not into this kind of promotion.
Carol Giannasi
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely great

This book kept the action going constantly. I read until finished.i will follow this Arthur for all his books. Good caliber book.
Sharon
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Traveling Man

Good characters and lots of action and intrigue
Carol Beck
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast and fun read

Everything in this book moves along at lightening speed. Scams, crooks, double crosses, revenge - it's all there. All you have to do is enjoy the read!
Deborah Bobo
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting plot, but it really didn't capture my attention.
Joel Prives
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bad dialogue

Bad dialogue. Characters were not even a teeny bit believable. Thank goodness it was a fast read with no thought required.
Della Reams
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cross and Double Cross

This is a very violent book with so many scams and scammers that they are hard to keep track of.
Kathy Shields
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this was going to be engaging, but found it mostly slow paced. I couldn't make myself like the main characters.
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
quick easy read that was completely nuts - rather implausible how these con artists make it through but if you suspend disbelief and root for the honorable bad guys, it's a fun read.
Rekha Rao
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first part of the story was interesting. Con job and double-crossing and whatnot, it was engrossing until...all the violence and torture started. The story takes a 180-degree turn after that. More violence, more torture and more confusion, the second half of the book was just that. Overall, it was an okay read.

• Blue Falcon
  • Hidden Ones: A Veil of Memories
  • Stan
  • The Walker on the Cape (Sgt. Windflower Mystery, #1)
  • Terminal Justice
  • Implant
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • Final Vector
  • Banished Threads (Threads #3)
  • Kind Nepenthe
  • Gemini Gambit
  • The Maxwell Series Boxed Set (Maxwell, #1-3)
  • Yuma (Burn District #1)
  • Polyxena: A Story of Troy
  • An Adventure in Mysticism
  • The Warehouse
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
How many times have you heard or read a news report that made you think, “You just can't make this stuff up. What could they possibly have been thinking?” People often involve themselves in a chain of events that leads to unforeseen consequences simply because they want to take what they think is the easy way out, or they want to take what they think is a short cut to wealth or fame. I'm fascinate ...more

The Travelers (4 books)
  • The Computer Heist (The Travelers #2)
  • The Blackmail Photos (The Travelers #3)
  • The Freeport Robbery (The Travelers #4)