Start by marking “The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)

The Rebirths of Tao

(Tao #3)

The centuries-long schism between the Genjix and the Prophus threatens to plunge the whole planet into a new World War. Roen is the only person who can protect a turned Genjix scientist who holds the key to ending the war.
Published April 2nd 2015 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about The Rebirths of Tao, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rebirths of Tao

Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/31/b...

What a way to end things. Hands down, The Rebirths of Tao is my favorite book of the trilogy. It’s everything that made the first two books such a joy to read, but on steroids. The stakes are higher, and the action is more intense. The humor is laugh-out-loud funny, the character relationships much more emotional. It’s got love and betrayal, smiles and tears, politics and espionage, sword fights, kung-fu, unlikely heroes,
Rob
Executive Summary: This series is a lot of fun. This book was no different, and I had a hard time putting it down.

Full Review
I only found this series last year after Mr. Chu did an interview with Sword & Laser. I really enjoyed the first two books. It was a great find.

The Lives of Tao almost reads like a stand alone. The Deaths of Tao on the other hand ended in the worst possible place. So I was really excited to find out this book would be out in December and I only had to wait a few mon
Brandon
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen years have passed since the events in The Deaths of Tao and the battle between the Prophus and the Genjix has reached a fever pitch. Moving forward with their plan to transform Earth into a habitable planet for the Quasing, the Genjix have established terraforming facilities in all corners of the globe. Can the Prophus prevent global destruction or will life as we know it cease to exist?

I received an advanced copy for Angry Robot Books in exchange for an honest review.

Keeping that teaser
Andy
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me BUYING a book..... thats how much I wanted to get my mitts on this new & shiny read! Even started reading it first day its delivered...... MUCH anticipation......

Maybe that has a play in the 3.5 stars award as was slightly disappointing in parts & the least enjoyable of the trilogy overall. The next question is do I round up OR down from there...

A little (actually a lot) more spy craft in this than Alien interaction(s) & I find the interaction of the “bad aliens” with their vessel
Stephanie Swint
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What is the best thing about Wesley Chu? He makes reading a story about a parasitic alien race, plotting to terraform the earth, funny and riveting. He could have gone for frightening but Chu made his aliens lovable. They have, after all, been around since the dinosaurs, inhabiting a large assortment of creatures across evolution, until they found the human race. Through humans they found intelligent creatures, or I should say intelligent enough creatures, they could use to realize their dreams. ...more
Dara
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rebirths of Tao picks up about 13 years after the events of The Deaths of Tao (spoilers for that book to follow). Things are not going well for the Prophus. They're still fighting the Gengix but now that their Quasing secret is out, the Interpol Extraterrestrial Task Force is after them as well.

The best aspect of this book is the characters. Roen gets more fleshed out as he has to deal with the aftereffects of losing Tao to his son Cameron at the end of Deaths. Wesley Chu has gotten consiste
Timothy Ward
#7 - Top Ten Reads of 2015 at timothycward.com

Wow. That's it. The last book for Roen Tan. Thankfully, this isn't the last book for Wesley Chu, and not even the last in this universe of alien-hosting humans and their not-so-secret war to save Earth. Thankfully-thankfully, this isn't even the last book Wesley will publish this year. Tor will release his next novel, Time Salvager, July 7, 2015.

Wesley was also recently nominated for the Campbell Award for best new writer. I have my Hugo nominees pac
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi

I finished this book today - and in turn I got a massive sunburn because of it. I was so transfixed by the damn book that I wasn't paying attention to the fact that my skin was taking a beating and literally roasting off my body.

There's no getting around it...Wesley Chu owes me a bottle of aloe vera!

As for the book itself:

WOW WOW WOW!

This was the final instalment of the trilogy and lemme tell ya, it ends with a very satisfying BANG! The three novels are incredibly fun reads on their own, but wh
Tammy
The nitty-gritty: A perfectly paced, action-packed ending to a top-notch series, with characters you won't want to say goodbye to.

There’s nothing better than a favorite series ending on a high note, and I’m happy to report that The Rebirths of Tao has accomplished just that. For those of you who have started reading the Tao books, you are in for a treat. And for those of you who haven’t, well now you have a great excuse to binge read the whole thing at once! I enjoyed the hell out of this book,
Lisa
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

4.5/5 stars

I just love this series. It is filled with action and intrigue as well as amazing, real characters and relationships. Oh, and humor! The conclusion to the series was every bit as fun and addictive as the rest the first two books. In short, this is a highly addictive, unputdownable, laugh out loud action packed series with memorable and enjoyable characters.

The Tan family is settled in a “home” base in the Northwest,
Geoff
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great conclusion to Wesley Chu's Tao series that I just could not put down. Rebirths of Tao continues the action-packed war between the Prophus and the Genjix, now with the interference of non-alien government agencies.

I think the dynamic between Roen, Cameron and Tao was handled exceptionally well. While dealing with the Genjix problem, Roen also has to deal with the loss of Tao and the reality that his son is now a Prophus host.

Although there is a 10+ year gap between book 2 and 3,
Robyn
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
3.5 rounded up to 4 on the strength of the ending. I wasn't as enthralled with the first half or so - probably because I missed Roen & Tao's banter - but once the action started, I was right back in the happy place! A satisfying conclusion that also seems to allow for a return to the world if so desired.
Sunil
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, own
The Rebirths of Tao combines the personal growth-focused The Lives of Tao and the Prophus/Genjix war-focused The Deaths of Tao to provide a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. That's the sort of statement I normally end with, and I'm moving it to the top because it's hard to discuss this book without spoiling the previous one. Deaths ended on a hell of a cliffhanger, and Rebirths follows through on those ramifications, and all they mean for Roen, Jill, Cameron, and the planet Earth.

As Deat
Paul
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong continuation of the Tao series. A lot of interesting reveals about the Quasings , and interesting to see the changes brought by Tao changing in host. A little less of the fun side brought by Roen and Taos interactions but a step up in action compensate.
It felt a little long at points but still a satisfying read.
Paul
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2015
Received a free copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Since the previous book a lot has changed in the world, Cameron is now a teenager, the world has split into pro-Prophus and pro-Genjix factions and with the revelation that aliens were inhabiting people, steps have been take to eradicate them by the Interpol Extraterrestrial Task Force. But a new threat has appeared, the Genjix are developing a technology to change the world. World War. A Genjix scientist who defects to the ot
Bradley
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Believe it or not, reading this was like reading a healthy but calorie-laden meal served up for the whole family, full of hormonal spices, just a hint of spiritual grace, and finally washed down with a whole bucket of scotch.

That is: This book was mightily satisfying and easily the best of the trilogy.

A lot of time has passed, and Roen's son is a feisty teenager wanting to jump in the war, which is fine for a setup, but how Chu weaves him through the tale and sets him up to save his papa is mor
Scott
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, sci-fi
So my wonderful plan of savoring the end of this awesome series was completely shot to shit cuz Mr. Chu did not let up with the page turning, kick ass action.

A great end to a wonderful series. Had everything I loved from the previous books with the addition of a couple new characters that filled out the cast very well.

Excited to read more from this author in the future! 5 stars to this book and the series as a whole!
Matt Zitron
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So here it is, the last book in the Tao Trilogy. Here's a spoiler free review of Rebirths.

Picking up a few years after the status quo changing events of the death of Tao Wesley Chu again gives us an insight into the mind of more characters with a symbiotic Quasling.

Once more we see things from both the Prophus and the Genjix POV, and he expertly weaves together flashback chapter introductions with ongoing plot.

I don't want to get into the nitty gritty so I'll keep this general and bullet pointed
Andrew
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
ARC provided by NetGalley.

Some thoughts on The Rebirths of Tao:

- A large chunk of the book is split into three concurrent storylines following Roen, Jill, and Cameron.

- The big jump ahead in time since book 2 (more than 10 years) works well, as we can skip past Cameron’s childhood. However, teenage Cameron’s arc feels very ‘young adult’ at times.

- I found myself laughing out loud repeatedly. The classic humorous dynamic between Tao and his host remains one of the most enjoyable parts of this ser
Chompa
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, sci-fi
My reading is slowing down as the weather improves and things like yard work pop up. That said, I stayed up later than I should have last night to power through to the end of this novel.

My thoughts.
I've loved the Tao series.
The characters are interesting, have good depth and the action is excellent.
Wesley Chu is an excellent writer - His writing flows well and is very enjoyable.
I need a Quasling to take roost in my noggin and tell me what a dumb-ass I am.
I'd hate having a Quasling moni
PopcornReads
It’s rare to find a sci-fi series that’s funny while still being a nail-biting fast-action thriller. Somehow award-winning author Wesley Chu has beautifully achieved that delicate balancing act with his Tao trilogy. We reviewed Books #1 and #2, The Lives of Tao and The Deaths of Tao, when they were published. I loved the first two novels and could hardly wait to dig into Book #3, The Rebirths of Tao. If you’re a sci-fi fan who hasn’t read the first two novels in this trilogy, you’re in for a tre ...more
Suzanne
This was a fun and exciting end to the series. It was difficult to stop reading towards the last - I was anxious to see what happened. That's always the sign of an enjoyable book! 4.5 stars
MadProfessah
I read the entire series of three books in about a week. They are quick, easy reads which if you don't think about the logical inconsistencies they are quite fun, enjoyable rides.

I think they would make an incredibly fun TV series. As books, I think they run a bit heavy on the details of hand-to-hand combat. One aspect of the books that I do like is that they make the point very clearly that you don't get to be a chiseled fighter without lots and lots and LOTS of practice. Chu also makes the poi
Hobart
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2
That was satisfying.

Really, that's about all I have to say about this one. But let's see if I can't expand a bit. Overall, I enjoyed The Lives more than this, and this one engaged me more throughout than The Deaths did, but The Rebirths brought the Tao Trilogy to a satisfying conclusion, wrapping up what needed to be wrapped up, dealing with all the arcs that needed to be concluded and generally leaving things in a place where we can say goodbye to these characters (not that we neces
Lynn Williams
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading the Rebirths of Tao. This has been a great series with each book becoming successively better than the last – the ending is just brilliant!

If you haven’t read the previous two books then stop reading now as there may be spoilers for the previous books.

For a quick recap. Aliens landed on earth many many years ago. Unable to exist in the atmosphere they needed a host which they inhabit until the host dies and the alien is released and s
Angie Boyter
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It’s tough on humanity when an alien race, the Quasings, crash on earth and discover that the only way they can survive in our atmosphere is to inhabit earthly creatures, preferably humans. It is even tougher on humanity when the aliens begin fighting among themselves. The Tao series follows Roen Tan, host to Quasing Tao. Tao belongs to the Prophus faction, which essentially strives to co-exist with earthly life and opposes the Genjix, whose goal is to “Quasingform” earth’s environment to make i ...more
Preston
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Book Two, The Rebirths of Tao takes place some years down the road. Roen’s son, Cameron is now a teenager, and the war between the Prophus and Genjix is still on going.

The Rebirths Of Tao is just as good or better than the previous two books. I have never read anything like this series before, that I can remember. The interaction between the people and the aliens living inside of them is great and sometimes very humorous. Each person and alien have their own personality and so the interacti
Ray (warrior of randomness) XP
As expected of the brilliant work of Wesley chu . This third installment in Tao series was superb
. The protagonist Cameron proved to be a worthy successor to his predecessor/father roentgen tan, the main hero of the first two novels.wesley retained the same sense of humor in the series . Roen was funny as always. the main antagonist Enzo was truly refreshing. He played his part to perfection . I am disappointed the direction which the character Alex was taken. She had much potential to grow . O
Alex
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wes Chu's Tao series has been a delight from the first book to the last. Unfortunately, this last book, while a great yarn, didn't seem conclusive enough to be the final book in a trilogy.

That's a minor quibble, and ultimately, the story is great, the characterization well done, with a few twists and turns to keep things interesting, and a plotline that is paced well. Well lives up to the previous two books.
Chip
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome conclusion to the trilogy! I particularly liked the "new" Tao with Cameron - a fascinating coming of age story. The book brings into play engaging new groups like the IXTF and all your favorite characters from the first two books. And the final battle(s) are done quite well. I look forward to the "new/next generation" Prophus books in 2016.
The Not a Book Cl...: RoT: Part 5 - Chapter 39-End (Full Spoilers) 10 22 Apr 15, 2015 03:08PM
The Not a Book Cl...: RoT: Part 3 - Chapter 20-28 6 15 Apr 15, 2015 10:56AM
The Not a Book Cl...: RoT: Part 1 - Chapter 1-9 11 13 Apr 14, 2015 11:51PM
The Not a Book Cl...: RoT: Part 4 - Chapter 29-38 3 13 Apr 12, 2015 03:30PM
The Not a Book Cl...: Tuckerizations 4 48 Apr 12, 2015 10:56AM
The Not a Book Cl...: RoT: Part 2 - Chapter 10-19 9 16 Apr 11, 2015 09:07AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 14 Feb 27, 2015 10:38AM
  • The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2)
  • The Exodus Towers (Dire Earth Cycle, #2)
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • Breach Zone (Shadow Ops, #3)
  • Watson and Holmes - A Study In Black
  • The Glorious Angels
  • Morningside Fall (Legends of the Duskwalker, #2)
  • Corsair
  • The Madonna and the Starship
  • The Flux ('Mancer, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 6: Make Yourself Part 2
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)
  • Under Nameless Stars (Zenn Scarlett, #2)
  • Crux (Nexus, #2)
  • Trident's Forge (Children of a Dead Earth, #2)
  • Unseemly Science (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire #2)
  • Avengers of the Moon: A Captain Future Novel
  • Harmony
Wesley Chu’s best friend is Michael Jordan, assuming that best friend status is earned by a shared television commercial. If not, then his best friend is his dog Eva who he can often be seen riding like a trusty steed through the windy streets of Chicago.

Unfortunately, Chu’s goals of using Hanes underwear commercials to launch a lucrative career following in Marky Mark’s footsteps came to naught.

Tao (4 books)
  • The Lives of Tao (Tao, #1)
  • The Deaths of Tao (Tao, #2)
  • The Days of Tao (Tao #3.5)
“When there is no one else left to fight, then there will be nothing left but peace.” 3 likes
“Whoever said a good agreement was a compromise neither side was completely happy with just had poor negotiators.” 3 likes